Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is me with the guitar I want :

but it’s fifteen hundred pingas and that’s too many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

Wait, Jesus is white?!?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also want that amp behind me god drat

playing a guitar through a huge amp is such an insane power trip it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mate

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fifteen hundo for an epiphone explorer? jeez, the situation in nz is fuckin *dire*

I'm thinking of getting a gibson sg standard. gotta get that sweet crunchy sustaaaaaaain

also want a boogie mark iic+ or a mark v but I also want to be able to pay rent

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

how the hell does every music store look the same inside?

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
i have a beat up fender mexican strat i got used and i play it through a yamaha thr10x. suits my needs. my friend in high school had a 4x12 marshall cab and a tube amp plugged into it. i think that's why i have tinnitus now. i'm all for city living but being able to have a gently caress-off loud amp is the only thing making me question that. not really possible to have that kind of rig in an apartment.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

what

the

gently caress

how is this in peoples mail

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and just as I suspected its a Falun Gong front

and in typical Falun Gong fashion they really love going through the effort to obfuscate that

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

fifteen hundo for an epiphone explorer? jeez, the situation in nz is fuckin *dire*

I'm thinking of getting a gibson sg standard. gotta get that sweet crunchy sustaaaaaaain

arent gibson mostly overpriced garbage these days? and with horrible quality control to boot.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

what

the

gently caress

i hear america is just giving away free money to all its citizens now, so who's the real communists??

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and that's just like a junk mail pipeline thing; its not even targeted afaik -- so that's just going out to a bunch of people

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

what

the

gently caress

What's teh deal with Falun Gong anyways, they have some dance show that travels around and they're way into tai chi or some poo poo?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

how the hell does every music store look the same inside?

its all the guitars op

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Schadenboner posted:

What's teh deal with Falun Gong anyways, they have some dance show that travels around and they're way into tai chi or some poo poo?

They were a huge cult in China that got cracked down on by the Chinese Communist Party and now they tour the US doing propaganda shows disguised as ancient chinese ballet.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hmm

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
The other interpretation is that they are a legitimate religious movement with a foundation in Taoism and Buddhism that gained a lot of followers in China in the 1990s who were subsequently violently persecuted and even murdered by the Chinese government, and now they tour the US doing propaganda shows disguised as ancient chinese ballet.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cult is the only credible interpretation unless u are a spook or chowing down on psyop spook food

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

yep

second hand market ain’t great either

yeah the mark v is incredible. it’s like 5grand here for the head alone

I used to have the equivalent of an epiphone but a paul reed smith. it was the tremonti signature which yeah he’s the dude from
creed but god it was so nice to play. regret selling it so much. especially because it cost me $1800 when I got it and lost about $1500 of the value and used the three hundred or so to buy an ipad classic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

The other interpretation is that they are a legitimate religious movement with a foundation in Taoism and Buddhism that gained a lot of followers in China in the 1990s who were subsequently violently persecuted and even murdered by the Chinese government, and now they tour the US doing propaganda shows disguised as ancient chinese ballet.

I’m becoming increasingly intrigued with buddhism

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
they had extensive state support until they didn’t because the founder spoke a bit too much about things the authorities didn’t like.

it was the tcm of its day.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1500NZD is like 900usd

that being said i have no idea how much those guitars normally go for

also i would imagine being a tiny island nation makes everything pretty expensive

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

I’m becoming increasingly intrigued with buddhism

I mean at least you have confirmed that Jesus is, indeed, white?

:shrug:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Stereotype posted:

They were a huge cult in China that got cracked down on by the Chinese Communist Party and now they tour the US doing propaganda shows disguised as ancient chinese ballet.

yeah my wife took her mom to see it a few years ago and she was telling me it was really impressive and beautiful "and then at the end they talked about how a free china was truly possible and atheism is a lie???"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

he’s a Jew

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My job has extended it's wfh order till at least the end of may now with plans for a soft reopening

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

freeasinbeer posted:

they had extensive state support until they didn’t because the founder spoke a bit too much about things the authorities didn’t like.

it was the tcm of its day.

on the other hand one could say so did bob jones from politicians in California, until one day he didn’t.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they also put a lot of effort into never really associating their propaganda directly with the Falun Gong organization; like if you greped this newspaper you probably won't find the name anywhere -- same with Shen Yun (though I think they have some slivers of it somewhere, maybe in the programs?)

Just a regular good old American newspaper willing to Speak the Truth, nothing to see here

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

echinopsis posted:

he’s a Jew

No, it's a "increasingly intrigued with buddhism" joke.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

1500NZD is like 900usd

that being said i have no idea how much those guitars normally go for

also i would imagine being a tiny island nation makes everything pretty expensive

our high minimum wage makes anything that involves customer service expensive

the only poo poo that is cheap is stuff at big box stores because of efficiency. anything that requires staff like mcondalds or music stores and plumbers is expensive as hell.

raising the minimum wage as much as we are does nothing without attempts at rent control of which we do not have. no one is getting richer for having higher minimum wages except landlords. it’s gonna be like $20/hour next year I think

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

No, it's a "increasingly intrigued with buddhism" joke.

I’m white as gently caress

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
what's also great is judging by this, the Falun Gong are perfectly willing to stoke anti-asian/anti-chinese sentiment as long as they think they can spite the CCP with it

this is obviously targeted at white people and most of them have no real distinction between the CCP, China, Chinese people, and asian people in general

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Schadenboner posted:

:dudsmile:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah my wife took her mom to see it a few years ago and she was telling me it was really impressive and beautiful "and then at the end they talked about how a free china was truly possible and atheism is a lie???"
atheism is a lie but at least it’s a simpler lie than pretty much all other alternatives

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I about had a stroke last year when my mother mentioned that my father had signed up for a free trial of the Epoch Times. He'd always been conservative, but the past several years he's gone off the deep end and I don't think there's any coming back.

The sheer hypocrisy of all the stuff he'd railed against, blatantly going on for the past four years, and him being okay with it because it's his guy doing it has really makes me depressed when I think about it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

TerminalRaptor posted:

The sheer hypocrisy of all the stuff he'd railed against, blatantly going on for the past four years, and him being okay with it because it's his guy doing it has really makes me depressed when I think about it.
https://twitter.com/kennethlogins/status/1253787762139987968?s=21

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Stereotype posted:

i halfheartedly looked into it and falun gong seem to be religious weirdos but largely harmless religious weirdos. Its not like scientology where they're destroying people or some cult that's siphoning all peoples money away or whatever. That's kinda what i got, anyway.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

i halfheartedly looked into it and falun gong seem to be religious weirdos but largely harmless religious weirdos. Its not like scientology where they're destroying people or some cult that's siphoning all peoples money away or whatever. That's kinda what i got, anyway.

the thing with the Falun Gong is you have to be able to put on your Soviet hat to be able to interpret them aka using a deeper level of political inspection than most Americans are familiar with

You have to be able to tease apart the fundamentalist new age religion aspect, the anticommunist aspect, the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because they are a fundamentalist new age religion, the reasons the CCP might not like them because they're an anticommunist group, and the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because of just the nature of the CCP and a marxist-leninist-maoist organization in general

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the thing with the Falun Gong is you have to be able to put on your Soviet hat to be able to interpret them aka using a deeper level of political inspection than most Americans are familiar with

You have to be able to tease apart the fundamentalist new age religion aspect, the anticommunist aspect, the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because they are a fundamentalist new age religion, the reasons the CCP might not like them because they're an anticommunist group, and the reasons the CCP might not like them very much because of just the nature of the CCP and a marxist-leninist-maoist organization in general

:effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011