Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
ESR chat is the only kind of celebrity gossip I find entertaining, except I guess for the fact that he's not much of a celebrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

gotta love esr's "I, the Inventor of Open Source, have come to enlighten you" tone

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only Everybody loves Eric Raymond would start up again to help us in this difficult time.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

:lol: incoming GNU/💩 because systemd doesn't have enough brackets I guess,

quote:

The GNU Daemon Shepherd or GNU Shepherd is a service manager written
in Guile that looks after the herd of system services. It provides a
replacement for the service-managing capabilities of SysV-init (or any
other init) with a dependency-based system with a convenient
interface. The GNU Shepherd may also be used by unprivileged users to
manage per-user daemons (e.g., tor, privoxy, mcron, etc.) It is
written in Guile Scheme, and is configured and extended using Guile.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2020-04/msg00010.html

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

what's convenient about the interface exactly?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i like that the very first sentence describing any nerd software project has to tell you what language the developers used, oftentimes before it describes what the software actually *does*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

:lol: incoming GNU/💩 because systemd doesn't have enough brackets I guess,

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2020-04/msg00010.html

this would have been really cool ten years ago

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no it wouldn't, non-declarative configuration systems are universally awful

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

they fuckin love guile don’t they

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
afaik there's nothing really wrong with guile, just, it came along too late for anyone to give a gently caress

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
guile gave andy wingo a job doing cool language research, so its not completely pointless

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i like that the very first sentence describing any nerd software project has to tell you what language the developers used, oftentimes before it describes what the software actually *does*

duh, because what it does doesn't matter, just what cool names you can drop

doing a lot of nothing for no one is the desktop linux ethos

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lancemantis posted:

duh, because what it does doesn't matter, just what cool names you can drop

doing a lot of nothing for no one is the desktop linux ethos

if your readme isn't just your package.json, you aren't cool

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
so many nerds would cum in their pants to have a commit in an open sores project but will do absolutely nothing to put themselves in the position to do it unless they can figure out something superficial because it's not about being a part of the community or ecosystem or anything, its just about cred and namedropping

its like all the garbage that they pump out all the time in desperate attempts to "apply" new technology because its not about actually using it in a constructive way its about resume padding and visibility

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

It's not hard to commit to any of the opensource projects. Like, at all.

I've got some but lol at putting "implemented syntax highlighting for JCL in Kate" on my resume.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
good news! kubuntu 20.04 lts is out today, so everyone can upgrade from fedora and centos and previous versions

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
ubuntu 20.04 LTS is out, anybody use it yet?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

hm fascinating

nvidia actually got some commits to nouveau that's not tegra to linux 5.6.7

https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/20200422095047.669225321@linuxfoundation.org/

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
ive been using the development version of kubuntu 20.04 since the end of february, its been great, a bunch of nice improvements even compared to 19.10 (plasma 5.16 -> 5.18, system python 3.8), and huge improvements compared to 18.04

i guess there are nice updates in the bad default gnome version too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

hm fascinating

nvidia actually got some commits to nouveau that's not tegra to linux 5.6.7

https://lwn.net/ml/linux-kernel/20200422095047.669225321@linuxfoundation.org/

the nouveau patches are to fix up svm support

i assume nvidia is perfectly happy to have nouveau support gpu computing, for nvidia compute customers who are allergic to closed source blobs and don't care about the nvidia runtime (i.e. potential amd customers)

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
But nouveau does not support CUDA, so nobody is using it for GPGPU anyway.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

people are saying snap is buggy poo poo. and the only way to install via apt is through the console, which is nbd to be honest

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Does slack desktop work yet? Cause when I tested it it did not

Also looking forward to people not upgrading forever cause all their python2.7 scripts die cause they just use 'python' (like slack did when i tested it a month or so ago)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's no better than they deserve for using python

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also looking forward to people not upgrading forever cause all their python2.7 scripts die cause they just use 'python' (like slack did when i tested it a month or so ago)

i emailed the slack support email about it not working a long time ago, they got back to me on 2020-04-14 to say "fixed now"

i had been using the snap version of slack instead, htat has always worked under 20.04

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

some crazy person is going to maintain it because heaven forbid you ever ever ever upgrade finally

or you just can't find the necessary grad students to grind it out

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://fedoramagazine.org/coming-soon-fedora-on-lenovo-laptops/

Soon you will be able to buy the Correct Laptop Brand pre-installed and fully supported with the Correct Desktop Linux, if Desktop Linux is a thing that interests you.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sapozhnik posted:

https://fedoramagazine.org/coming-soon-fedora-on-lenovo-laptops/

Soon you will be able to buy the Correct Laptop Brand pre-installed and fully supported with the Correct Desktop Linux, if Desktop Linux is a thing that interests you.

But that's neither a Dell nor a Mac running Debian?

:confused:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a thinkpad x/t is still the peak pc laptop. though a dell xps sort of remains its ideal form since being pretty cheap is core to what a pc is.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
all these hipsters with their retro think pads and tiling window managers and multi-meg vim configs if they're not emacs cultists

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

all these hipsters with their retro think pads and tiling window managers and multi-meg vim configs if they're not emacs cultists
Tiling window managers aren't a hipster thing. They're just less bad than other window managers.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
I last touched emacs around fifteen years ago and thought "you know, maybe if I'd tried this first in the nineties, but there's no reason to learn it now".

Visual Studio Code is the spiritual successor to emacs - let the past go!

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
spacemacs is quite good

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
there is never any rason to use anything besides pycharm and clion

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sassafras posted:

Visual Studio Code is the spiritual successor to emacs - let the past go!

the electron + javascript abomination that can't even browse the web or check my email?

yeah, thanks but no thanks

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I just tried to get vnc working on a wayland machine, and I managed to break the system's ability to boot twice.

If it wasn't already 1am, I'd be going for a hat trick and upgrading pipewire past the versions available in the fedora repos. I'm 90% sure version 0.3+ has fixed the remote desktop issues I'm running into, but trying to uninstall the packaged pipewire to make room for a manual compile is how I broke the system's ability to boot the second time (gnome lists pipewire as a hard dependency these days).

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
What I'm saying is I'm living my best life in quarantine over here

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TimWinter posted:

What I'm saying is I'm living my best life in quarantine over here

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mystes posted:

Tiling window managers aren't a hipster thing. They're just less bad than other window managers.

that must be why we all use Andrew wm derivatives