Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm sad I missed out on its stay in PYF, I would have loved a kitty sixer from Pastry or Bird.

Here, have one of mine:

Chickens wallow? I did not know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Proteus Jones posted:

they take dust baths! chickens are great

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

those are pretty clearly asphalt shingles

:ssh: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_on_a_Hot_Tin_Roof

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Chickens love their loving dust baths and they are going to hate me forever, or at least until I give them more mealworms, when things warm up and we fully enclose that raised bed in chickenwire and start planting things in it again.

They can deal with it, though, they've completely destroyed the southwestern flowerbed to turn it into a set of dust baths (it's ok, it was a garbage flowerbed anyways) and the slope at the back of the yard looks like it's been used as an artillery test range because it's covered in chicken-sized craters.

On warm days they also praise the sun by finding a sunbeam and then just falling over in a boneless heap that looks very much like they are dead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chickens can and will absorb an astounding amount of dust, they will flop around and relax all their feathers just so there's more room to scoop up as much dirt as possible in there. It's amazing and kind of endearing, unless you really need them to be clean for some reason.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Gorgeous.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Well, drat, I was wondering if the Rosie mentioned in the thread title was the same Rosie from the AI threads.

Suspicion confirmed.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

When I was in the Peace Corps my host family had chickens and they used to do this all the time (the chickens, not my host family):

It's weird seeing chickens at eye level.

Also we had an incident where a chicken forgot where her eggs were and sat on some duck eggs instead, so for a few months I got to watch this:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

Also we had an incident where a chicken forgot where her eggs were and sat on some duck eggs instead, so for a few months I got to watch this:

Somewhere there's either a very sad duck mom or a very talented duck mom

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I never did learn what happened to duck mom, but the chicken eggs that were abandoned were wrapped up and kept warm and when they hatched they imprinted on my host sister. Except baby chickens can't really tell people apart so they would just follow anybody around, peeping all the time. They'd be following behind someone and then if another person walked past they'd veer off to follow them. We'd hand-feed them rice and they'd sit on my shoulder when they got bigger. I was super bored without electricity so this was my primary source of entertainment for a few months.

Don't read this if you are easily bummed out: And then we ate a few of them.

EDIT: Oh, also chicken mom would take the ducks down to an area of standing water to drink and the ducks would jump in and swim about and chicken mom would freak out because she thought her babies were drowning but then they'd just hop out and she'd forget.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 24, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Moon Slayer posted:

EDIT: Oh, also chicken mom would take the ducks down to an area of standing water to drink and the ducks would jump in and swim about and chicken mom would freak out because she thought her babies were drowning but then they'd just hop out and she'd forget.

:lmao:
We didn't have a confused chicken mom, but I did hatch a mallard egg I found in a park and raise the duck alongside some chicks. They were mildly confused when the duck enjoyed jumping in a small pool we had set up, but mostly they just rolled with it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Be careful letting chickens sit on your shoulder while you feed them.

They are good fun though, I love coming home and having two bawking/making GBS threads rear end in a top hat birds come running up to me as soon as I get home (unironically)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Now you've got me going back through my old Peace Corps photos, and I had forgotten how popular that fence was:

This is definitely the best picture I've taken of anything ever, but this was the most useless loving cat in the history of cats. I'd watch rats crawl over the top of my mosquito net almost every single night; never saw this cat catch a single one in two years.

e: he was a happy little rear end in a top hat though, probably because he never had to do anything.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 24, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Now you've got me going back through my old Peace Corps photos, and I had forgotten how popular that fence was:

This is definitely the best picture I've taken of anything ever, but this was the most useless loving cat in the history of cats. I'd watch rats crawl over the top of my mosquito net almost every single night; never saw this cat catch a single one in two years.

e: he was a happy little rear end in a top hat though, probably because he never had to do anything.

I think most cats have figured out at this point that while the ancient pact says that they get food and shelter in exchange for hunting vermin, they can usually get away with purring and looking cute if they're feeling lazy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Moon Slayer posted:

her face :lmao:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Hey I'm looking for the link to the HOT NEW poo poo FROM NVIDIA thread, anyone got it?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kirk's razor meltdown or is it something else?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459842

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Thats the one! big thnaks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

You know in hindsight it's really funny to watch people flip out over what appears to be a proto-Nintendo Switch.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You know in hindsight it's really funny to watch people flip out over what appears to be a proto-Nintendo Switch.

its kinda wild that its been 8 years tbh

imagine how janky that thing would be if it had ever come to market

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Carthag Tuek posted:

its kinda wild that its been 8 years tbh

imagine how janky that thing would be if it had ever come to market

Oh yeah, like if nothing else it took a while for battery capacity to get to a place where anything like that would be practical.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh yeah, like if nothing else it took a while for battery capacity to get to a place where anything like that would be practical.

In retrospect Nintendo's history of handhelds makes a lot of sense in that they basically designed the device over what the battery technology of the day could handle for a reasonable amount of time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So is the "don't make death threats" thread that is in every forum and in the bookmarked threads a warning before hard implementation? Or is it just the new normal where every time you're browsing for what to read they want to remind us not to threaten to kill people.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

So is the "don't make death threats" thread that is in every forum and in the bookmarked threads a warning before hard implementation? Or is it just the new normal where every time you're browsing for what to read they want to remind us not to threaten to kill people.

It’ll go away after a week or five days, I forget which. But people have already gotten perma’d for it. It’s certainly not warning of an upcoming change.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Reminder: murder continues to be illegal, both on and off the forums"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

pentyne posted:

Some people weren't getting the message despite it being an announcement at the top of every subforum so they had to make it show up in people's bookmarks, too.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moon Slayer posted:

Some people weren't getting the message despite it being an announcement at the top of every subforum so they had to make it show up in people's bookmarks, too.

That was more for the sake of people who browse through bookmarks rather than going to subforums or doing it on a phone app where it gives a notification.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I only noticed it on my work machine because SALR punts it to the bottom of updated threads.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pentyne posted:

maybe you should stop being in the target audience for the "dont threaten to kill people" announcement

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

"My 'don't threaten to kill people' announcement has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my announcement."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

"Don't talk to me or my son ever again."

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Hopefully the people posting in the bicycle subforum and the LEGO GOONS MEGATHREAD will stop making death threats now that there is forum-wide announcement to remind them of it being bad to do.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I thought it was because so many people were making fun of the idea that Avs' threats to trump were somehow bad since they were wildly fantastical and implausible and the rest of the forum just didn't "get" her humor.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

wesleywillis posted:

Well, drat, I was wondering if the Rosie mentioned in the thread title was the same Rosie from the AI threads.

Suspicion confirmed.

Wait, Did I miss something? Is that Daves Rosie?

ED:
Nevermind, Found the post.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 25, 2020

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

pentyne posted:

I thought it was because so many people were making fun of the idea that Avs' threats to trump were somehow bad since they were wildly fantastical and implausible and the rest of the forum just didn't "get" her humor.

I think it is largely just people venting in the political subforums, and some Internet tough guys, too. The Secret Service contacted Lowtax once way back because of a thread in LF about assassinating Obama, I think, and then maybe once or twice again since over the years. I'm extremely foreign and also very stupid, so I don't know anything about US politics and never really used those subforums, but I have the vague impression of a lot of US Goons needing to vent about politics and that the form the venting takes sometimes is probably what is being disparaged.

Part of what is neat about SA is the range that it has, and it creates situations that are sort of inadvertently funny, like someone logging onto SA in order to post their favorite cat pictures or discuss model trains, being met with an announcement about not making death threats.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A lotta people awful mad about not being allowed to threaten the prez. Wonder how much overlap there is with people mad they aren't allowed to use slurs anymore.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I thought people who liked slurs also liked the president

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Only most of them, there's always exceptions

Also the contrarians who will go out of their way to try and say them because now that it's forbidden, it is and always was the heart of comedy and being banned from saying them is the death of comedy

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I hope that the next forums-wide announcement will be the result of a slightly less heated thing, like instead of a reminder about not making death threats or harassing anyone, it'll be like an informative bulletin from Pet Island, reminding everyone cross-site to not feed ducks bread.