Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
The plethora of options in the Peace GUI makes it look messy and complicated, but it's actually very easy to use if you are just doing basic, normal stuff.

Also, if you are going to install eq apo, I highly recommended trying out HeSuVi as well. It works pretty great imo and is a ton of fun to play around with, to the point of being a huge time sink, for me anyway. Getting it initially set up is a bit of a chore, but there are good tutorials out there. I recommend this youtube video. It's short, to the point and straightforward. However, there are always edge cases where a particular method doesn't work. If anyone has trouble getting it to work, shoot me a PM I'll gladly help. Actually jeez I just realized I ought to start a thread about it. Googling "hesuvi site:somethingawful.com" only shows the one time I mentioned it a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
You're last post on it made me install and use it :v:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
these settings

don't work. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't, or works for a second and then the audio changes back regardless of the setting. how do I ACTUALLY make a specific program come out of a specific audio port forever? This should not be this difficult.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

these settings

don't work. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't, or works for a second and then the audio changes back regardless of the setting. how do I ACTUALLY make a specific program come out of a specific audio port forever? This should not be this difficult.

I'd bet that control panel to only works with UWP apps or some new poo poo in win10 audio that microsoft just invented 2 months ago with zero warning, because I'd never even seen that UI before.

For programs that have their own sound settings, find the options in that program for changing the output device from default output to some specific one. For example in Discord, the output device dropdown in this screen:

If you have two programs that you want with different outputs and they don't have audio settings, you're SOL. Switch to real programs that aren't repackaged webapps.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

new poo poo in win10 audio that microsoft just invented 2 months ago with zero warning, because I'd never even seen that UI before.

Thank god. I was like "wtf is that?" and didnt want to ask lol.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Klyith posted:

I'd bet that control panel to only works with UWP apps or some new poo poo in win10 audio that microsoft just invented 2 months ago with zero warning, because I'd never even seen that UI before.
You'd lose that bet cause it works with basically everything

It doesn't stop applications from switching devices around themselves though

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

Klyith posted:

For programs that have their own sound settings, find the options in that program for changing the output device from default output to some specific one. For example in Discord, the output device dropdown in this screen:

If you have two programs that you want with different outputs and they don't have audio settings, you're SOL. Switch to real programs that aren't repackaged webapps.

Basically everything here is wrong except instructions on how to change Discord's output. Per app output is years old (April 2018 update), works for desktop apps, and Discord is a repackaged web app.

The most likely culprit is apps changing their output independently. Discord will show one thing in the per app settings, but will go by what's set in the application settings.

e: Discord bugs out that per app volume sometimes too, and will show double entries. The implementation of it by MS definitely needs work.

Ephemerous fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 24, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ephemerous posted:

Basically everything here is wrong except instructions on how to change Discord's output. Per app output is years old (April 2018 update), works for desktop apps, and Discord is a repackaged web app.

The most likely culprit is apps changing their output independently. Discord will show one thing in the per app settings, but will go by what's set in the application settings.

e: Discord bugs out that per app volume sometimes too, and will show double entries.

I was being sarcastically hyperbolic about 2 months, but 2 years is really not very long either. The real question is whether this control is even built into the audio APIs yet, so programs can be told when their outputs get switched. (And I know discord is a webapp, as is spotify, that's why I said to switch to real apps.)

However, I've actually tried mucking around with that UI this morning with some real apps and my results:
• Foobar gets unrecoverable playback error after 2 switches
• MPC & VLC handle switching output, but closing & restarting the programs isn't persistent
• Mumble did the same duplicate entries that discord did in that screenshot, so that may be related to having both input and output connections

OTOH Chrome actually *was* persistent across restarts of the program. So the better answer is that any program that has its own output control settings doesn't work with the MS panel. That's what I was trying to say, but I let my hate for webapps get in the way.

Ephemerous posted:

The implementation of it by MS definitely needs work.
Yeah, I was also easily able to make it gently caress up by connecting & disconnecting bluetooth headphones. So it seems only good for a temporary override.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Klyith posted:

So the better answer is that any program that has its own output control settings doesn't work with the MS panel.
I would assume programs with their own output control settings work fine with it, as long as they are (kept) set to 'default output'. Is that how you tested it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

I would assume programs with their own output control settings work fine with it, as long as they are (kept) set to 'default output'. Is that how you tested it?

Yes. Programs all set to default output, only changing to different outputs with that control panel.

Example:
1. Open MPC, start playing a mp3 (default output, headphones via xonar sound card).
2. Switch output to my monitor's built-in speakers via DP with the control panel. Sound is now on monitor.
3. Exit MPC, reopen MPC, press play.
4. Sound is back in headphones despite the control panel still showing the monitor selected in the dropdown. To get it back to the monitor I have to select something else, then reselect the monitor.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah that's definitely bad behavior on behalf of Microsoft. I guess it all works fine on the virtual machines they do their testing on! :bang:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The specific issue I'm having is Chrome, it will play out of the correct speakers for a few seconds then switch back to my headphones. This fucks up Netflix, as you can imagine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

The specific issue I'm having is Chrome, it will play out of the correct speakers for a few seconds then switch back to my headphones. This fucks up Netflix, as you can imagine.

It's much easier to just switch your default output device around rather than trying to keep program-specific ones. Changing the output device is very fast, click the volume icon in the taskbar then click the top section of the volume slider box. If you're trying to do a thing where netflix sound gets piped to the home theater and discord stays with your headphones, you can set the home theater as default and set discord to use the headphone device in the program settings.

tldr avoid that windows per-app ui, it isn't very good

(also there are plenty of software packages that do poo poo like this by using virtual sound devices, like virtual audio cable or voicemeeter.)

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah that's definitely bad behavior on behalf of Microsoft. I guess it all works fine on the virtual machines they do their testing on! :bang:

Maybe it's something where programs can pick up the per-app output settings from windows core audio, but nobody has re-implemented their audio stack to use the new system. That would justify MS in having this kinda-buggy control panel because they're getting the function out there, and in a few years everything will just work.

(nothing will ever just work, especially when most audio/video software is on maintenance mode these days.)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It does the same thing if I just change the master device in that same page.

If there is an external program that can just force all audio to go where I want it, that would be rad. virtual audio cable doesn't do that in a way that helps here, though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Javid posted:

It does the same thing if I just change the master device in that same page.

huh! :confused: Did you try quitting chrome before changing the default device?

One thing I just remembered is that netflix uses the special google DRM plugin, which maybe why chrome is resisting output switching for you when it works fine for me. I was just playing a youtube.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I've never had any issue switching output devices with Chrome, even when playing Netflix.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That's true, this did NOT happen a while ago when I used virtual audio cable to pipe Chrome output directly to Audacity.

OK, what's the solution to the drm plugin loving things up?

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

Another thing to be aware of if your main tactic is switching defaults: programs can be inconsistent about using the default communication device vs default device for output. If it's not working as expected, check that. You may need to change both, and AFAIK you can only change default communication device from the sound control panel.

e: for Netflix, I seriously doubt this is the case, but could be useful to others. /e

For what it's worth, typically I have it all on Default. If I want an application to be treated differently, I either use output device selection in the app or see what can be done to add it (e.g., Equalify allows specifying output device for Spotify).

Klyith posted:

... any program that has its own output control settings doesn't work with the MS panel.

This is my experience too.

It's useful when you have an application that needs to behave differently than default that doesn't support output device selection. Depending on what you use, this could be great or useless.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The plethora of options in the Peace GUI makes it look messy and complicated, but it's actually very easy to use if you are just doing basic, normal stuff.

Also, if you are going to install eq apo, I highly recommended trying out HeSuVi as well. It works pretty great imo and is a ton of fun to play around with, to the point of being a huge time sink, for me anyway. Getting it initially set up is a bit of a chore, but there are good tutorials out there. I recommend this youtube video. It's short, to the point and straightforward. However, there are always edge cases where a particular method doesn't work. If anyone has trouble getting it to work, shoot me a PM I'll gladly help. Actually jeez I just realized I ought to start a thread about it. Googling "hesuvi site:somethingawful.com" only shows the one time I mentioned it a while back.

I was hesitant/lazy to reinstall it after I rebuilt my system since I could get it close enough with the onboard equalizer, but with hesuvi I might install it again.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Ephemerous posted:

Another thing to be aware of if your main tactic is switching defaults: programs can be inconsistent about using the default communication device vs default device for output. If it's not working as expected, check that. You may need to change both, and AFAIK you can only change default communication device from the sound control panel.

That setting is so annoying, love when I am in voice chat screaming that I can't hear or they hear me as the "default communication device" is not actually the regular default device which is not on the main control panel but the old one and a lot of people don't even know that one exists anymore.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Just checking in to whine a bit. My laptop's harddrive went kaput on the weekend - futilely attempting to boot, made it to the BIOS some of the time, non-helpful diagnostics some of the time, and all the way into windows twice (though forced reset within minutes). Anyway, I took it to the local shop, they diagnosed a dead HDD (and their data-recovery couldn't get anything without spending much more money) and sold me a new HDD and installed Windows 10 Home (64-bit).

Most of today was trying to remember all the ways I'd fine-tuned my user experience in the past, and I've been successful at putting it about 90% back. There's something off about the way everything looks, like the colours aren't quite what I had before, but it's not terrible. My whining is mostly about how stupid so many of the default settings are, like the computer going to sleep after some ridiculously short time.

Also, a reminder to all to get and maintain a good cloud-based backup. Not everything was on the cloud, but everything important was so the only work I lost was Friday (which was a pretty slacktastic day anyways as far as files I've got locally are concerned).

\/\/\/ I'm lazy (so I hardly ever delete things) and fond of mindlessly dumping programs into my system. I had the option of a 256 GB SSD for a price halfway between a simple replacement of my dead HDD (1 TB) and what I got, a 2 TB. In the tradeoff between speed and capacity, I favour capacity. Reliability wasn't mentioned, but your point is good - if I could get close-to equivalent capacity without an enormous price jump.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 28, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Get an SSD already.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

go back to the store and ask them what they’re trying to pull selling you a spinning disk as a boot drive in 2020

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Also why they sold you an extra copy of Windows 10 that you didn't need.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a 3rd party tool that will let me extend my display over the network to another pc. I know windows has this build in via miracast but the machines I’m doing this on don’t support it and I need to have it work over Ethernet.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ExecuDork posted:

Most of today was trying to remember all the ways I'd fine-tuned my user experience in the past, and I've been successful at putting it about 90% back. There's something off about the way everything looks, like the colours aren't quite what I had before, but it's not terrible. My whining is mostly about how stupid so many of the default settings are, like the computer going to sleep after some ridiculously short time.

Maybe run the windows colour calibration thing, and you might want to get a profile for the screen panel. Also if you have Intel graphics check that "Color Accuracy" in the Display/Color section is disabled, it makes things look washed out

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ExecuDork posted:

\/\/\/ I'm lazy (so I hardly ever delete things) and fond of mindlessly dumping programs into my system. I had the option of a 256 GB SSD for a price halfway between a simple replacement of my dead HDD (1 TB) and what I got, a 2 TB. In the tradeoff between speed and capacity, I favour capacity. Reliability wasn't mentioned, but your point is good - if I could get close-to equivalent capacity without an enormous price jump.

SSDs are really cheap now, and 2 TB laptop drives are all shingled (SMR) drives that are dog slow as soon as you're writing more than a few GB consecutively. Even now, with SSD prices being higher due to Coronavirus, you can get a good 1 TB SSD for like $120. The speed difference is enormous. Windows 10 goes from being unusably slow to fast on the same system.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 28, 2020

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Please for the love of God get an SSD :(

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Modern OSs are made for SSDs. I guess except linux.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I was really concerned about storage space before i got my first ssd, and then after using it for a few minutes I realized that having to half-rear end manage what I put on my pc is worth having windows boot instantly always and forever. My server still has a reasonably quick HDD in it and using it feels like molasses.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Get a 1TB SSD and then if you still need more space get a 10TB spinning rust disk or something. It's not worth your time to deal with slow drives or micromanage small amounts of data in 2020.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone else using audio over HDMI on a NVidia card and having the sound corrupt after awhile?

I don't know if its the latest drivers or the latest windows version.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
For the post earlier with the colors, I have noticed that nvidia likes to set color to rgb limited if you plug in a monitor via hdmi for some reason, you can change that in the nvidia contro lpanel(resolution tab).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a 3rd party tool that will let me extend my display over the network to another pc. I know windows has this build in via miracast but the machines I’m doing this on don’t support it and I need to have it work over Ethernet.

I've never used it, but Spacedesk claims to do what you want:
https://spacedesk.net/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Celexi posted:

For the post earlier with the colors, I have noticed that nvidia likes to set color to rgb limited if you plug in a monitor via hdmi for some reason, you can change that in the nvidia contro lpanel(resolution tab).

my intel integrated graphics laptop did this too. it seems to be standard practice because the assumption is using an hdmi cable = tv.

same reason for the default overscan.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 29, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Rexxed posted:

I've never used it, but Spacedesk claims to do what you want:
https://spacedesk.net/

Thanks!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

What do I have to do to get windows 10 to stay connected to two things at once? I want to USB tether the one pc over my phone's internet while my cable is down, and still have access to my lan on that PC. This seems like not the most difficult or unusual need, but windows will either give me internet or lan but not both, which is less than useless.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Windows can't know which connection to send your packets to, that's why it only chooses one. You need to add routing entries to the system's routing table for your local LAN.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Javid posted:

What do I have to do to get windows 10 to stay connected to two things at once? I want to USB tether the one pc over my phone's internet while my cable is down, and still have access to my lan on that PC. This seems like not the most difficult or unusual need, but windows will either give me internet or lan but not both, which is less than useless.
If your LAN is in a different address range than your tethering connection it should still be able to access local resources just fine.

If you've gone all homelab like I have and overcomplicated your LAN with multiple subnets, you'll need to set static routing rules that tell your computer those other subnets that aren't directly connected always exist over there and not necessarily on your default gateway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's the best way to have tabs in windows explorer? Functional ones you can drag and drop to each other too.