Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

I got away pretty unscathed, but I had a hard enough time dealing with the pilot. I'm a little scared to take on the soldiers. :ohdear:

Most of the helicopter careers start you with a rifle. (P)recision shots with it take out soldiers no worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Early game if you want light just go get some candles. Every house has them, they last forever and give bright light to read and craft with.

My bottleneck right now is finding kevlar gear. My starting town doesn't have a police station or military anything, but I did get lucky with a couple of swat trucks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I usually get my kevlar from soldier zombies. Make sure to cut up the MOLLE pack and combat boots as well, there's hidden kevlar in there. (Then you have to wash it obviously)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I still wash all my stuff before I cut it up because once it's parts it wants like a 1 to 1 conversion rate of soap, did they ever adjust that?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

The Lone Badger posted:

Most of the helicopter careers start you with a rifle. (P)recision shots with it take out soldiers no worries.
Vatgrown bodyguard starts with a bodyguard knife and a suit. I did manage to get the pilot's MK17, though, so I guess I will go back and try that.

Or maybe start again with NPC settings cranked up.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I've been playing this game for a good while, and I can't believe it'd never occurred to me before to try Molotov cocktails to deal with a few big crowds of zombies.

Works like a loving charm, and it seems to keep burning forever, so I've just been leading more and more groups into the flames.

My only concern is how to pulp the corpses at some point, because it's too hot to stand next to for any period of time.

Oh well. I'm sure there's absolutely no way this can backfire on me!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Molotovs are incredible. I think you don't need to pulp corpses in the raging inferno, the fire does for them just fine.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I usually get my kevlar from soldier zombies. Make sure to cut up the MOLLE pack and combat boots as well, there's hidden kevlar in there. (Then you have to wash it obviously)

I don't have any convenient water sources nearby, I'd have to trek across 2 towns to find a river. Is there an easier way to clean stuff?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Molotovs are incredible. I think you don't need to pulp corpses in the raging inferno, the fire does for them just fine.

It did go out eventually, after leading like 4 packs of Zs into it, and yeah, there were a lot less bodies left than there should have been.

I know some corpses will resurrect as scorched zombies if you just leave them in a fire, though.

The child zombies that do this are called 'kinderlings'.

This is a good pun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carcer posted:

I don't have any convenient water sources nearby, I'd have to trek across 2 towns to find a river. Is there an easier way to clean stuff?

You can use containers of water, you go through a lot though.
Note that swimming pools etc serve as infinite sources of water. Even a 'shallow water' tile in someone's front yard works.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'll keep that in mind but there are a poo poo load of zombies I'd have to wade through to get to a pool

How do I actually do magic? I've learnt a couple of spells but I can't figure out how to actually cast anything.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You have to go into keybindings and bind a key for "cast spell".

I recommend not wading through zombies when you can avoid it. Reconnoitre during the day to figure out where you want to go, but actually go on looting expeditions at night (preferably a moonless night). Move quickly, stay quiet and don't make any light and you can get stuff without much fighting.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Welp, that didn't work out so good. Emptied the M17 into the zombie, tried to stab it up, and got eaten for my troubles. Poor Billy King, free for only an hour.

Time to make a new start - is DisableNPCNeeds still a necessity, or do the Basecamp/Zone mechanics make that more manageable?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Carcer posted:

I'll keep that in mind but there are a poo poo load of zombies I'd have to wade through to get to a pool

How do I actually do magic? I've learnt a couple of spells but I can't figure out how to actually cast anything.

Your going to need to actually bind a key to the allocating menu for that. Hit ? When you not looking at any other menus and scroll through till you find it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Carcer posted:

As lone badger said, use a container for water and fill it at any source. I personally use the 60l tank which you can either craft or remove from vehicles. And I get my water from a shallow puddle at the edge of a forest next to my house. It's infinite as far as I can tell

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, the dome light only works on its own tile. Craft and read from there. If you install a central base power system you can basically have a comfy commander seat in the middle of your storage room from which to do all your reading and tinkering.
Now I get it :doh: Sorry for being dense, folks

Gonna rearrange my crafting station setup then

I've manged to build myself a gasoline powered charging station for storage batteries out of a little sports car that was sitting across from my house. Only had to fix the engine a bit and instal a new tank and the swap slot for the batteries. But then I sadly discovered that the battery I looted was too damaged and leaked. Scrapped it and I'm like 20 small storage batteries away from building a fresh one.

Also I've survived into summer and I just now fully realized how dang lucky it was that I found a working electric car on my way out of my city spawn. All the travel and hauling I've done with this baby so far would have been a huge pain otherwise. Probably should show it some love in return and try to fix some of the pannels and all the dents in the parts and wheels

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Tin Tim posted:

As lone badger said, use a container for water and fill it at any source. I personally use the 60l tank which you can either craft or remove from vehicles. And I get my water from a shallow puddle at the edge of a forest next to my house. It's infinite as far as I can tell

There's usually a water cistern on top of evac shelters that disassembles into four 60L tanks. I'm camping out in a shelter in my current run, I've got two set up under funnels to collect rainwater (which even though they fixed the weather so it doesn't constantly rain, they still fill up over a few days), a third inside full of water to boil, and the remaining one I constructed into a pipe stove. I'm starting to get some creature comforts going on in here.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

You have to go into keybindings and bind a key for "cast spell".

I recommend not wading through zombies when you can avoid it. Reconnoitre during the day to figure out where you want to go, but actually go on looting expeditions at night (preferably a moonless night). Move quickly, stay quiet and don't make any light and you can get stuff without much fighting.

Thanks, I've rebound it and now I can be horrible at magic!.

And yeah I'm not about to go and fight a lot of zombies, just stating the impracticality for me to go and find water easily.

I'm also having a lot of problems with overheating due to my nomad gear. I need to find/make chest armor that doesn't overheat me all the time.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Behold the Lightytm

Frame with car battery and dashboard plus a seat and a flashlight. Can run for like two days and the battery recharges in an hour when plugged into a car with a running engine+alternator. Call and order now!!!!

Kinda weird that I can't see the items in the crates around me but the crafting menu still recognizes them so whatever

Wolfechu posted:

There's usually a water cistern on top of evac shelters that disassembles into four 60L tanks.
That's handy to know! I'm pretty happy that I don't have to jump through any hoops to get my water situation handled. As said the shallow puddles are infinite and I have both salt and normal water available. Also four big storage tanks in the community garden of the small town I took over. Two of them store the gas and diesel I managed to siphon so far and the other two hold water so that I don't have to walk to the forest everytime

E: Next question, how does fishing work? I found a pond with trouts jumping around. Do I just need to make a pole+hook to catch them or is it more complex?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 24, 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Theres a few things you can do. you can fish with rod and hook, use spears, directly attack the visible fish, or make fish traps and bait them.

Fishing takes fish out of a simulated population of fish, and that population can move, so its not a guarantee.

Also you can set a fishing zone up and make a npc fish. I believe survival skill levels help yield?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks! I made a pro rod caught a few trouts so now I'm set to combat future food problems

E: Solved it myself.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 24, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I did an effortpost upthread but yeah, Helicopter Crash is the best start. You’re bleeding but one of the zombie soldiers will have a first aid kit or a bag of hemostatic powder. You will get a couple more STANAGs and you might get lucky with an M249 with 100+ rounds.

The CRIT Automatic Rifleman starts with an M249 and holy poo poo is that so broken indeed.

Unless you're playing on freeform you do have to take a hefty amount of bad traits and have pretty lovely stats in exchange, which makes sense from a balancing perspective but from a realism/lore perspective, why would CRIT send the guy with a bad back, bad vision and a bad temper as well as schizophrenia and rigid table manners into a bad situation and THEN give that guy the squad automatic weapon? :v:

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So after going through the item database I've learned that I need books to craft any sword better than the crude one. Kind of a bummer! What kind of melee weapon would you guys recommend to upgrade into instead? Important point being that it shouldn't need a book to make

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Behold the Lightytm

Frame with car battery and dashboard plus a seat and a flashlight. Can run for like two days and the battery recharges in an hour when plugged into a car with a running engine+alternator. Call and order now!!!!

Holy poo poo you are so much neater and organised with your stuff than me.

Really try and raid a library if you can. A single library tends to have nearly all the books.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm gonna sound like a boob asking this, but are batteries normally rechargeable? Like non disposable ones?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Holy poo poo you are so much neater and organised with your stuff than me.

Really try and raid a library if you can. A single library tends to have nearly all the books.
I can't help myself in games like these I got to organize my crap and make my base at least somewhat neat looking :v:

Yeah there is a bookstore at the edge of the city near me and I'm going to try to go for it. Finaly got over that drat cold so I'm gonna craft a machete for the better damage output and give it a shot

Leal posted:

I'm gonna sound like a boob asking this, but are batteries normally rechargeable? Like non disposable ones?
There is a hand-crank which you apparently can use but it's very time consuming. Not sure if there is an actual charging station outside of the UPS system

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 25, 2020

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

There's a recharging station car part that will charge any batteries stored in the same vehicle tile (including UPS). AFAIK that's the only other way to charge batteries.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Son of a bitch, this whole time I've been tossing batteries when they ran out cause I didn't think they were rechargeable unless specifically labelled "rechargeable". I thought only the UPS stuff was rechargeable.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
They're literally all over the place especially if you (U)nload any battery-using device you find (that isn't UPS) and isn't also already drained.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Magiclism looks dope. Any other mods I should add for a full gently caress it ridiculous game?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

tokenbrownguy posted:

Magiclism looks dope. Any other mods I should add for a full gently caress it ridiculous game?

I like Aftershock, which adds a bunch of scifi-ish silliness. If nothing else, there's certain tools added to spawn really rarely like atomic coffee pots and crockpots, which basically have an infinite fuel source, and that takes SO much of the ballache out of making a fire to cook things if you're lucky enough to find one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright so update with my lab escape, you know the one where that loving rear end in a top hat ZOMBIE decided to randomly destroy the card reader. The lab had a subway tunnel on the second floor (another on the 4th but eff that) that I headed down into another lab. Beelined upstairs and where do I end up but not just a lab but a lab under a prison.

Now that I'm out I need to find a car to smash into the lab doors so I can go back and get the loot I had to leave behind.

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 25, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Raided the bookstore and it was pretty much a bust

Got none of the smithing related books :(

It's not all bad though. I also raided to police station next to it and discovered four locked rooms with terminals which probably have some good stuff. So I hope that one of those books lets me get into basic computers so that I can try to crack the terminals. If not then I guess I have to pick through the walls and hope that it doesn't alert the whole town.

Btw the steel spear is a pretty good weapon as it turns out. Also had the machete as a backup but the spear was just rolling with the crits so I hardly ever switched

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is there a way to strip rags into thread more quickly? It takes a long time for me currently. Like an hour a rag.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not rags. Best bet for thread is disassembling 1x long string -> 6x short strings -> 300x thread in 35 minutes.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Dandywalken posted:

Is there a way to strip rags into thread more quickly? It takes a long time for me currently. Like an hour a rag.

Smash windows, get the long thread and break that down instead. Its way faster.

If you have mechanics 1 (You can go around lockpicking doors to get to 1 unless they changed that) you can basically do the same thing with car seatbelts.

Breaking down rags is a huge time sink and you will likely save time by just finding a couple houses and stripping the blinds off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Long strings are just one of those things you could never have enough of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

If you have mechanics 1 (You can go around lockpicking doors to get to 1 unless they changed that) you can basically do the same thing with car seatbelts.

Lockpicking is now its own skill.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is there any way to mass disassemble the strings or do you have to press the buttons for each single small string.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Carcer posted:

Is there any way to mass disassemble the strings or do you have to press the buttons for each single small string.

Drop a pile of them at your feet (with no other items in the same tile), shift-B to butcher/disassemble, and disassemble all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Oh thank god I was going insane doing them one at a time.