Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Chris Pistols posted:

My trouble is if I go from one spot to another on a beach, I struggle to tell the difference between the size of the fish shadows. If I'm chucking bait in one spot (which is what I've resorted to now) I can at least be confident I'm going after the right shadow.

This is exactly why you do bait even for the sea if you’re targeting something specific. So you don’t have to run up the beach over and over hoping a fish will spawn.

As for your other question, you can catch Coelacanth on Nook Islands even when it’s not raining and I can tell you anecdotally it has been way better for me when targeting rare fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey so I’m being pressured into getting this game from my sister and my wife. I’ve heard something about getting the cart vs e shop version and something about islands? I’ve never played an animal crossing game. From what I understand you have to share save files? How bad is this if we don’t want to share (we are horrible selfish people)

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
Gonna open up for a bit as Chops is DIYing Golden Flooring west from the airport past the dump.

Upgraded Nooks has a tea set, record box, cosmos, hyacinth and pansies

Ables doesn't really have anything too interesting. A duck bill I guess.

Code: 6RFRJ closed

Shingouryu fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 25, 2020

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Royal W posted:

Thanks for letting me dump my nips! Your island looks amazing!

Thanks! I got a lot of positive feedback from visitors. Truth be told, I lost my job at the beginning of the COVID crisis so I don't have a lot to do all day but fiddle around with the island and hang with the wife (who is also playing) and kiddo.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

New Leaf posted:

Thanks! I got a lot of positive feedback from visitors. Truth be told, I lost my job at the beginning of the COVID crisis so I don't have a lot to do all day but fiddle around with the island and hang with the wife (who is also playing) and kiddo.

Same. Also have a decked out island due to being stuck at home for months. Your island looks great.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

teacup posted:

Hey so I’m being pressured into getting this game from my sister and my wife. I’ve heard something about getting the cart vs e shop version and something about islands? I’ve never played an animal crossing game. From what I understand you have to share save files? How bad is this if we don’t want to share (we are horrible selfish people)

One island per switch. Only the first islander can do anything of consequence for 7-10 days.

You’re gonna need 3 switches and 3 copies of the game, bud.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

teacup posted:

Definitely get the digital version, this game would be a pain to swap in and out all the time between other stuff.
I've mostly only heard complaints about how the islands work with shared users, but I'm the lone user on mine so I can't speak to that from personal experience.
As far as the game goes, it's great, just chill and do what you want, it's a lot better if you don't try to do all the pro strats and get everything and make it perfect ASAP.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Couch co-op is abysmal, so as long as you are okay with taking turns, sharing a Switch and an island is fine. Only one person has the power to build bridges/inclines or move buildings, but everyone else is able to do anything else, even adjusting the terrain.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Sharing the game is fine on a single switch.

If you have multiple switches for multiple islands and you only have one copy digital or otherwise it’s a night mare to try and play.

Take it from someone who got their second copy in the mail today.

Bandit Hat
Sep 8, 2005
Potatoes are the all-time treat, they are good to chomp and good to eat!
My Nook’s Cranny is buying turnips for 454 bells! Feel free to visit.

Dodo code: 3F7Q6

Tips or kitchen goods are appreciated but not necessary at all!

Bandit Hat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 25, 2020

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

are there any tunes with the same feel as Westminster Quarters? i'd try Westminster Quarters, but you know, the entire key of C situation in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ce8iZQgHQQ

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

StormDrain posted:

I would definitely rather have a child using a printed physical guide.

You let a CHILD play this game?! They just added a blatantly heterosexual marriage!!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Man Musk posted:

are there any tunes with the same feel as Westminster Quarters? i'd try Westminster Quarters, but you know, the entire key of C situation in this game.

You have more than one octave, so you can do anything modal, it doesn't need to be in the key of C. You could easily do the tune in that video.

e: I found an Island Tune Creator online

Here is one example of Westminster Quarters in the key of C.

Here is Westminster Quarters in the key of F.

And here is my current town tune, the intro to Lady Gaga's Bad Romance, in the key of A minor

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 25, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

I would definitely rather have a child using a printed physical guide.

If you need a guide on how to have children you probably shouldn't be having children

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Straight White Shark posted:

If you need a guide on how to have children you probably shouldn't be having children

I grew up reading a lot of printed physical guides that taught me all about it

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Is villager a cat?
   YES      NO
    |       |
    |       |
    |       |
    v       v
Recruit   Leave

:hmmyes:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Macaluso posted:

Is there any way to turn stuff that's on a table outside?

Turn the table, put item on it, turn table back

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I decided to replace my houses fence with the hedges, then I found out for some reason you can't store them and I couldn't sell them either. Only option was to chuck it in a bin.

Weird as I was able to sell all the other left over fences I've used.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
My turnips are at 517, still open for a while. It's surprisingly quiet on turnip.exchange lately, maybe everyone's getting diverted to the fake 700+ islands?

https://turnip.exchange/island/5d30a55a

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Couch co-op is abysmal, so as long as you are okay with taking turns, sharing a Switch and an island is fine. Only one person has the power to build bridges/inclines or move buildings, but everyone else is able to do anything else, even adjusting the terrain.

It's one of the most shockingly bad implementations of multiplayer I've ever seen. Only thing that is worse is actual online play with 5 minute load screens while new player join the island.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Holy crap, it offers couch Co-op? I can't imagine a worse fit for couch Co-op than Animal Crossing. Hope they didn't waste too much development time adding it as a feature

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Holy crap, it offers couch Co-op? I can't imagine a worse fit for couch Co-op than Animal Crossing. Hope they didn't waste too much development time adding it as a feature

Couch co-op that, as far as I'm aware, requires you to be in the screen as the other player, and makes you switch 'leaders' constantly to do most things

but apparently the non-leader player's tools don't explode :haw:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Opening my island this morning while i go afk to run errands. 9am, Southern hemisphere insects n fish. Also my villager Maddie is sharing the ‘giant teddy bear’ recipe that has the whole teddy bear family as required parts.

Turnips are 210 if your interested

code’s KD28N

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Only the "primary" player (not necessarily the primary resident, just the one who started the session and it can be passed) can move the screen, everyone has to stay on the screen with the primary player. And non-primary players get no access to their inventory.

If this game had split screen and everyone kept their inventory, it would be loving awesome couch co-op.

There's no reason for it to be as bad as it is.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's pretty good coop if you know what you're getting into.

You're not playing together. One person is playing and the other gets to run around them. And it's really easy to swap who's actually playing if you want to take turns.

Most of multiplayer, for me at least, is the idea of hanging out, rather than actively doing stuff. I think today is the first day I actually did chore-like things with a friend (online) as they helped me move some trees around after I asked for their thoughts on how I should arrange things. Usually we just walk around together and look at things.

With that in mind local coop lets you actually hang out with the people you live with. If you have a kid you can follow them around and help them with what they're trying to do. Otherwise it'll let you make funny faces or hit instruments with the people on your same island, and it's nice that you can do that.

Not sure what people wanted or were expecting from local coop Animal Crossing.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Zamujasa posted:

My turnips are at 517, still open for a while. It's surprisingly quiet on turnip.exchange lately, maybe everyone's getting diverted to the fake 700+ islands?

Thanks!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eiba posted:

You're not playing together. One person is playing and the other gets to run around them. And it's really easy to swap who's actually playing if you want to take turns.

Most of multiplayer, for me at least, is the idea of hanging out, rather than actively doing stuff. I think today is the first day I actually did chore-like things with a friend (online) as they helped me move some trees around after I asked for their thoughts on how I should arrange things. Usually we just walk around together and look at things.

With that in mind local coop lets you actually hang out with the people you live with. If you have a kid you can follow them around and help them with what they're trying to do. Otherwise it'll let you make funny faces or hit instruments with the people on your same island, and it's nice that you can do that.

Yeah, it's great for chilling on the couch running around and going "ooo, switch to me for a second, I didn't see that fossil before". It's not a full-fleged multiplayer experience, it's basically a nice way to let you quickly swap back and forth instead of sitting around waiting for your turn.

It still could be way better, but it does fill a niche, at least.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Eiba posted:

I wanted both players to be able to play Animal Crossing. Together.

Not "one person is a familiar for the primary player"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are Barreleye shadows small or super small?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Small.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
it's probably been answered before but are the 2nd set of tools that the nooklings sell got the same or more durability than the tools you craft?

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

Zamujasa posted:

Thanks! You have an awesome set up on your island

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Stool Sample posted:

Thanks! You have an awesome set up on your island

It's not much compared to some of my roommate's islands, but thanks :shobon:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/ACNH_Megan/status/1253789368516349953

Oh hey it's the thing I was talking about, though my island isn't nearly this uh... hellish :v:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

You have more than one octave, so you can do anything modal, it doesn't need to be in the key of C. You could easily do the tune in that video.

e: I found an Island Tune Creator online

Here is one example of Westminster Quarters in the key of C.

Here is Westminster Quarters in the key of F.

And here is my current town tune, the intro to Lady Gaga's Bad Romance, in the key of A minor

nice, this is perfect, cheers

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Eiba posted:

it's a good couples game :q:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh hey it's the thing I was talking about, though my island isn't nearly this uh... hellish :v:

:stonk:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Blathers’s hell.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Electric Phantasm posted:

The same size as horse mackerel, so the second smallest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Eiba posted:

What I wanted and expected was for both of us to be able to access our inventories and actually play, instead of one person just being a hanger on. I don’t think it is very good coop at all unless you are looking for coop where one person doesn’t really play the game. I could see that working well if you’re playing with a child, but I think for almost everyone else it’s a lot worse.

Man Musk posted:

it's a good couples game :q:

I agree, but I don’t think the local coop helps it at all. I’d rather just watch or not play at all than be the secondary coop partner.