Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Hmm yeah why would he start flying that flag that year

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

fat bossy gerbil posted:

You see way more confederate flags than you should in Iowa considering less than 100 men went to fight for the south compared to the 76,000 that fought for the union. That and Iowa’s first Supreme Court case determined that a runaway slave was free the moment he set foot in the state.

I’ve seen confederate flags hanging from barns in rural Ontario Canada so it’s not surprising at all.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I just finished a book on the leadup to WW1 (The Sleepwalkers, C. Clark) and that was a big contributor it also mentioned.
Others were British arrogance, lust for colonies, Germany feeling like it's missing out, and royal incompetence all around. It's pretty weird to hold a country responsible for the actions of individuals like Princip, but hey, look at 9/11.
My favorite scene in there was Moltke (Germany's John Bolton back then) rage-quitting the Kaiser, running home in tears because Wilhelm wouldn't agree to immediately mobilize everything and start the war.
Next morning when Wilhelm hadn't heard the encouraging news he wanted, he summoned Moltke and told him he could now do his thing

*not a history goon, don't hit me plz

If you want bonus schadenfreude, Moltke does indeed end up as the commander-in-chief of the German army at the start of the war. A few months and an unprecedented, unspeakable number of casualties later, he has a nervous breakdown and is swiftly replaced. It's hard to imagine the pressure put on any early WWI general, when they're getting literally hundreds of thousands of people killed in a matter of weeks. But Molke was a douchebag, so he's good for some native-grown schadenfreude.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Railing Kill posted:

If you want bonus schadenfreude, Moltke does indeed end up as the commander-in-chief of the German army at the start of the war. A few months and an unprecedented, unspeakable number of casualties later, he has a nervous breakdown and is swiftly replaced. It's hard to imagine the pressure put on any early WWI general, when they're getting literally hundreds of thousands of people killed in a matter of weeks. But Molke was a douchebag, so he's good for some native-grown schadenfreude.

And then he died in 1916 a completely broken man knowing in his heart that he hosed up beyond belief and Germany was doomed to lose the war.

Really, the July Crisis has no shortage of lovely, idiot loving villains.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Starks posted:

I’ve seen confederate flags hanging from barns in rural Ontario Canada so it’s not surprising at all.

There's Traitor flags flying off trucks in Alberta all the time. loving wexiteers are a bunch of proto chuds all "provinces rights!". Bah.

Schads on the rest of Alberta though, with oil being negative ain't gonna be an economy when Covid is over.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hillbillaboos?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hell i see those flags quite a bit here in sweden

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Its a cancer that has metastasized

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/z0EYt2o.gifv

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Aramoro posted:

We knew what was going to happen in the Great War well enough, between the American civil war, Franco-Prussian War and 2nd Boer War. The big question when cast against that backdrop was why was more not done to avoid war in Europe.

The old men would not so.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Title of video is "girl on couch is his girlfriend"
https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/aLw6Mwv_460svvp9.webm

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I saw a pickup parked in downtown Baltimore and I thought that it was a pretty bold move to have a little confederate flag in the window, considering the demographics of the city. I am not against loving someone's car up if they got that poo poo on it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Railing Kill posted:

More schaden less history lessons please and thank you

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

More schaden less history lessons please and thank you

It's interesting and promoting lively discussion, not every thread has to be on-topic 100.00% of the time

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Snow Cone Capone posted:

not every thread has to be on-topic 100.00% of the time

LIES

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

anyway https://i.imgur.com/kYdBqm3.mp4

but the WWI stuff and the Minnesota First stuff is cool as hell, keep that poo poo coming IMO

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Snow Cone Capone posted:

anyway https://i.imgur.com/kYdBqm3.mp4

but the WWI stuff and the Minnesota First stuff is cool as hell, keep that poo poo coming IMO

Guess which flag got banned for display on Marine bases?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/04/23/marines-top-general-opens-about-decision-ban-confederate-flag-displays.html

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Excellent.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Scroll down for some comments! You can guess what they say

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Patrick Spens posted:

You know the Armenian genocide started after WWI did right?

Fine, watching the Belgians gently caress up the Congo. Sorry I got my decades wrong.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Crossposting because I've been appreciating this immensely the last few days and more people should as well.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1253397847657140224

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/yEW5Mli.mp4

Sound on.

News reporter bites into a pepper that is a One Million on the Scoville Scale. After he realizes his mistake, he takes a second bite for some reason. Suffers.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://i.imgur.com/yEW5Mli.mp4

Sound on.

News reporter bites into a pepper that is a One Million on the Scoville Scale. After he realizes his mistake, he takes a second bite for some reason. Suffers.
This guy has a strong Micheal Scott energy

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just noticed he rubbed his left eye with the pepper eating hand.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

WHY THE SECOND BITE

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
In for a penny in for a pound probably.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"I eat jalapenos out of the can, I can handle it!"
He could not, in fact, handle it

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Information I could have used a little while ago!"

You didn't even wait! You just picked it up and bit into it as soon as you were told it was the hottest!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i dont believe that he is real and that he ate that like so

im fine with eating a chili, especially before you know its a chili, but if you eat a thing & apparently youve been on camera the whole time, it starts to look weird..

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"I eat jalapenos out of the can, I can handle it!"
He could not, in fact, handle it

I’m honestly pretty impressed at how handled it. Those things are no joke. But maybe the worst hadn’t set in yet. In my experience those super hots just keep getting worse for several minutes after you take a bite.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Garrand posted:

Scroll down for some comments! You can guess what they say

This one is good.

”History Genius” posted:

It is also obvious that Gen. Berger needs a history lesson if he associates the Confederate Battle Flag with slavery.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
E: poo poo it was posted last page. thats what i get for being behind in the thread

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 25, 2020

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Speaking of Sherman, I saw this just last month while driving through South Carolina. If you're looking for schadenfreude, I guess it's that he did such a number on the Confederacy that some southerners are still bent out of shape over it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rebel Blob posted:

Speaking of Sherman, I saw this just last month while driving through South Carolina. If you're looking for schadenfreude, I guess it's that he did such a number on the Confederacy that some southerners are still bent out of shape over it.

I love this so much

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Rebel Blob posted:

Observe as I twist my brain until I believe both “Sherman was a thief,” and also “slave ownership is not theft.” [My forehead swells as I poop my pants, have a stroke, and die.]

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I did almost the same thing. I was doing overhead presses with my heavy duty cables and without really thinking about it lifted up the leg I was using to plant the cables to the floor, and was rewarded by the heavy duty rubber band smacking me in the back of the head extremely hard.

I have to say it hurt like a motherfucker.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rebel Blob posted:

I want to piss on this sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would you piss on it when you could steal it or burn it?