Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Seriously, the game absolutely will let you go in guns blazing and murder everyone, barring specific missions.

A whole gimmick of Chipcheesum's LP of it was showing the serious stealth, the murdertime, and pure goof-off ways of approaching nearly every mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The joy of MGS in general lies in sacking off the posted objectives and score to go and do crazy poo poo, or come up with inefficient elaborate infiltration plans when you could just walk in, or just getting bored in the middle of the mission and kiting ten guards into a trap one after the other for shits and giggles. What I enjoy about the series is that you can play them as straightforward stealth games but if you want to get wild, you can and the game rewards that by responding to it rather than through score. You can always revisit a mission later when you've got a better command of the tools at your disposal to get that S rank (which in mgsv is mostly speed related so you can action smash and grab a lot of missions once you're comfortable with the gameplay.)

If the score thing really grates, that's fair enough, I've certainly got certain things that just kill my enjoyment of a game that aren't necessarily actual barriers to playing the game. Idk if it might help to think of the score as like, just an optional challenge among many?

The upgrades/money system in MGSV is needlessly complicated and annoying to me though, and I do think it gets in the way of getting really stupid with it and having a blast unless you're already primed to do that by previous games.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

RGX posted:

Been trying to get into MGS V : The phantom butt hole and I think I have to finally admit these games aren't for me, I feel like one of those weirdos that doesn't like cheese or something given the universal acclaim. My big issue with it is it's like the cutscenes and setting promise a different game to the one you end up playing. All these mad action shenanigans go down and then whoops back to sneaky sneaky, wait I've been spotted by some dude I missed earlier, better either restart, run off into the distance like a big baby pants or kite people into rooms so I can punch them in the head one after the other and cheese the game. Oh I can use my guns if I want, but then a big horn grows on the front of my head and I get a load of minus scores to remind me YOU ARE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG DON'T HAVE FUN.

I know Im the odd one out here, and to an MGS fan this is heresy, but part of me feels they'd be a lot more fun if they were just straight up third person shooters with some clever stealth thrown in. The gameplay just feels dry and uninteresting at least in the early game, which in a game about a man with an eyepatch and a robot arm being a super assassin seems like a waste.

Big Boss is canonically a murderous warmongering terrorist rear end in a top hat, do whatever you want.

e: vv Also true.

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Apr 23, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SkeletonHero posted:

Big Boss is canonically a lovable eccentric who just wants to give all animals a new island home

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve gotten much farther into Sekiro and I’m really enjoying it now.

Though recently I’ve been getting destroyed by the camera. When you get too close to a wall while locked on it either starts spazzing out or goes to an angle where I can’t see either myself or the enemy.

Also for a game about being a Shinobi the platforming is pretty weak. Trying to maneuver around narrow objects or ledges without grapple points generally leads in frustration to me.

And drat it, I keep encountering side paths that split into multiple other paths and I have no idea if I’m going down ones that hold extra goodies or if I’m accidentally going the way to progress the story.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

RGX posted:

Been trying to get into MGS V : The phantom butt hole and I think I have to finally admit these games aren't for me, I feel like one of those weirdos that doesn't like cheese or something given the universal acclaim. My big issue with it is it's like the cutscenes and setting promise a different game to the one you end up playing. All these mad action shenanigans go down and then whoops back to sneaky sneaky, wait I've been spotted by some dude I missed earlier, better either restart, run off into the distance like a big baby pants or kite people into rooms so I can punch them in the head one after the other and cheese the game. Oh I can use my guns if I want, but then a big horn grows on the front of my head and I get a load of minus scores to remind me YOU ARE PLAYING THE GAME WRONG DON'T HAVE FUN.

I know Im the odd one out here, and to an MGS fan this is heresy, but part of me feels they'd be a lot more fun if they were just straight up third person shooters with some clever stealth thrown in. The gameplay just feels dry and uninteresting at least in the early game, which in a game about a man with an eyepatch and a robot arm being a super assassin seems like a waste.

MgsV is a bad game,stick to mgs1 -3 + peacewalker.
Revengeance is pretty good but i was terrible at it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
GRIS - almost the whole time I was playing this all I could think was 'boy, RiME sure was a great game'

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm having a second go at Doom Eternal after dropping off of it a while ago, and goddamn this game keeps getting into its own way. It's just so full of baffling decisions.

Why are there four separate upgrade tracks each with its own collectible resource?
Why are there long audio-logs that you have to stay in one place to listen to, instead of letting you listen on the go?
Why are there extended sequences where you are slowed to a crawl and cannot jump in a fast-paced movement-based shooter?
Why is the ammo capacity so uselessly small until you fully upgrade it?
Why is the story?
Why is there an enemy that is immune to literally everything until you do its one particular reaction minigame?
Why are are some of the weapons just redundant inferior versions of other weapons?

I enjoyed Doom 2016 in large part because it was such a focused, straightforward experience. There are demons from hell, here are your guns, go and shoot them all. You could tear through the whole game in one smooth violent bender. But in Eternal the same flow just never seems to materialize because it keeps throwing these needless annoyances in your way. Half the time it doesn't feel like I'm fighting the demons, but rather that I'm fighting the game itself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

GRIS - almost the whole time I was playing this all I could think was 'boy, RiME sure was a great game'
I really don't get why anyone liked Gris. I know it's very 2012 to sneer at walking simulators but I played like two hours of it and spent the entire time holding right while some very pretty but embarrassingly on the nose depression symbolism floated around ethereally

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Robert J. Omb posted:

Oh, sorry, I was talking about The Phantom PAIN. Is Butt Hole before or after Ground Zeroes?
Obviously after, before the butt is intact

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

After the ending of ground zeroes I don't think there's much chance of any of that general area being intact ever again

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Robert J. Omb posted:

Is Butt Hole before or after Ground Zeroes?

"Sans toilet paper, the world will be torn asunder. And then, it shall be free.
The world will need a common tongue -- a language of poops."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really don't get why anyone liked Gris. I know it's very 2012 to sneer at walking simulators but I played like two hours of it and spent the entire time holding right while some very pretty but embarrassingly on the nose depression symbolism floated around ethereally

Eh, there's some platforming/puzzling to be had later (certainly before the 2 hour mark, not sure what endless hallway you found yourself in), but RiME did everything this game went for but better.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Perestroika posted:

I'm having a second go at Doom Eternal after dropping off of it a while ago, and goddamn this game keeps getting into its own way. It's just so full of baffling decisions.

Why are there four separate upgrade tracks each with its own collectible resource?
Why are there long audio-logs that you have to stay in one place to listen to, instead of letting you listen on the go?
Why are there extended sequences where you are slowed to a crawl and cannot jump in a fast-paced movement-based shooter?
Why is the story?
Why is there an enemy that is immune to literally everything until you do its one particular reaction minigame?
Why are are some of the weapons just redundant inferior versions of other weapons?

I enjoyed Doom 2016 in large part because it was such a focused, straightforward experience. There are demons from hell, here are your guns, go and shoot them all. You could tear through the whole game in one smooth violent bender. But in Eternal the same flow just never seems to materialize because it keeps throwing these needless annoyances in your way. Half the time it doesn't feel like I'm fighting the demons, but rather that I'm fighting the game itself.

Can you post this in the doom eternal thread because they'll lose their goddamn minds over this post

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Can you post this in the doom eternal thread because they'll lose their goddamn minds over this post

This person isn't wrong.

CitizenKain has a new favorite as of 23:22 on Apr 23, 2020

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

I’ve gotten much farther into Sekiro and I’m really enjoying it now.

Though recently I’ve been getting destroyed by the camera. When you get too close to a wall while locked on it either starts spazzing out or goes to an angle where I can’t see either myself or the enemy.

I feel lovely camera needs to be stickied as it's a problem that just never loving goes away. I really liked God Hand's great solution years ago, in that it just made the camera clip through walls, and made the walls translucent, but this is the only time I've seen it done that way. Sure, it's not a pretty solution, and might cause people to look out of bounds, but surely modern developers can figure out a way to overcome those problems?
Finished like five third-person games this year, and every single once has had garbage camera problems, and it's loving first-world killing me.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Perestroika posted:

Why is the story?

I had the exact same reaction. I feel like I'm being gaslit, but I felt like Vice (oddly enough) did a good job summarizing the gameplay issues with the Marauder.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Ruffian Price posted:

Oh, so THAT’S where the second bomb was.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Robert J. Omb posted:

Oh, so THAT’S where the second bomb was.

I maintain that’s a dumb plot point, human bodies are mostly water and water is very good at absorbing blast waves. There was a guy who keistered a pound of plastic explosive in an attempt to assassinate a Saudi prince and basically just surprised the guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_al-Asiri

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I had the exact same reaction. I feel like I'm being gaslit, but I felt like Vice (oddly enough) did a good job summarizing the gameplay issues with the Marauder.

Oh, Vice Games/Waypoint has an incredible team, they always put out good stuff. It's not like the main Vice news feed at all.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Neopie posted:

Oh, Vice Games/Waypoint has an incredible team, they always put out good stuff. It's not like the main Vice news feed at all.

That article was bad and wrong though? Not about the story being overindulgent and poorly delivered crap, but in other stuff. For example, claiming you were taught shields were all overloadable (just the blue ones, easy to figure out instantly), you can run out of ammo because the game doesn't produce enemies (it always does in combat encounters), the Marauder has a minimal tell (his eyes flash green brightly and there's a noise), that you can't bait him (you can), etc. I mean I understanding not liking the game if you're not a fan of 2016, or pretty much all of Perestroika's other complaints, but that article was pretty not good.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Bushmaori posted:

That article was bad and wrong though? Not about the story being overindulgent and poorly delivered crap, but in other stuff. For example, claiming you were taught shields were all overloadable (just the blue ones, easy to figure out instantly), you can run out of ammo because the game doesn't produce enemies (it always does in combat encounters), the Marauder has a minimal tell (his eyes flash green brightly and there's a noise), that you can't bait him (you can), etc. I mean I understanding not liking the game if you're not a fan of 2016, or pretty much all of Perestroika's other complaints, but that article was pretty not good.

Wow the D:E thread came here and lost its mind instead.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A real, undebatable misstep in Doom: Eternal were the few sequences where you hop into a turret and shoot stuff that's blocking your way forward. You do not control anything during these sequences, and it is unforgivable that you don't pull the trigger when shooting a hole into Mars' core.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Wow the D:E thread came here and lost its mind instead.

I mean if pointing out factual inaccuracies is losing my mind then yeah. I would add poor collision detection to Doom Eternal complaints though, as falling through the maps a few times or getting stuck and killed has scared me off ultra nightmare runs.

Also contributing: In BOTW I really wish you could mass-cook food rather than having to go through menu management over and over. Unless I'm missing something here it's incredibly painful. Plus, it would be good if you could sort your ingredients by boost types, as having to go through to match electricity resistance, armor boosting etc also sucks.

Bushmaori has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Apr 24, 2020

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

GTA V: The campaign suffers from the fact there is no A Plot, just a load of unrelated B-Plots. Pretty much every other game I've beaten does it better by having a clear over-arching goal. You never have too many arcs at once otherwise the plot slows down and loses focus like any book written by GRRM in the last twenty years.

It's supposed to be a Eureka moment when our gang of murderous career-criminals decide to take out their enemies simultaneously, but they could have done this at any time before now.

In any other game a bad guy like Stretch would be some dude you cap in the first act, and is soon forgotten. Here he sticks around until the end despite having no purpose whatsoever.

I kind of wish the combat was more grounded since you effortlessly mow down mooks by the dozen to the point that there's no satisfaction.

Why does that Tech-bro tell me to kill my ally when he has no leverage over me whatsoever, and in fact still owes me for all those cars I jumped?

Pretty much every flaw of the game can be chalked up to a creative decision, and never a technical shortcoming given the sheer production values. I immediately quit in the post-game since I had a poo poo-ton of money with nothing to buy it on, and all the remaining side-missions involve interacting with the rancid people of Los Santos. Yakuza exceeds GTA on a fraction of the budget because it has straight-forward character progression with cash and XP, a sense of humour that isn't dated to 2013, and it's actually fun to meet the people of Kamurocho.

I should really finish Sleeping Dogs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
From what I recall, basically all of the GTA series has that 'no real A-plot' problem, you're always just floating between contacts and subplots until eventually one of those subplots decides to step up and be the finale. It might be San Andreas that gets the closest to solving it, but only because it turns that problem into a story element; the finale is Carl going back and sorting his home turf out after it's gone to poo poo in his absence, and his brother dismisses all the wealth he amassed while going out and doing random-rear end subplots as not really meaning anything.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I maintain that’s a dumb plot point, human bodies are mostly water and water is very good at absorbing blast waves. There was a guy who keistered a pound of plastic explosive in an attempt to assassinate a Saudi prince and basically just surprised the guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_al-Asiri

How dare you suggest that a plot point in the Metal Gear series is lacking in sense!

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Recently I’ve been playing Gundam Battle Operations 2, a F2P third person shooter with giant robots. I quite like the gameplay, which strikes a decent balance between fun and feeling like you’re actually fighting in a giant robot, but because it’s a F2P game there are some design choices that I find quite annoying. My main issue is the way they restrict what robots you can use. When entering matchmaking, they have different point values for each map that change every few hours. If you don’t have a robot that close to that point value, you’re SOL. This is making it hard for me to decide what robots to focus on upgrading, as I’m never sure which ones I’ll be able to use.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Xcom: Chimera squad

I can't read the loading screen tips. the game loads too quick :negative:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Qwezz posted:

It’s like the opposite of XCom 2’s load screens! Are you playing on an SSD or is it also that fast on a platter drive?

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Installed it on a SSD.

it really is a Little Thing since the game runs smooth and plays perfectly.

but every time I get loading screen tips like "The xxx item is super awesome becau-" or "if you need help with anarchy you can alway-" or "The weakspot of the xxx is located in -" since it loads automatically instead of being a "push X to launch"

I can't read that fast Firaxis! :argh:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I noticed that the HQ screen has a button at I think the bottom left that pulls up a database with game tips, maybe you can find those tips there too hopefully? Also the I think options menu has an XCOM Handbook, which as far as I know might just be the same tip database from above, but I didn't check.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a HUGE Battletech fanboy, to the point where I have hundreds of metal minis. So Mechwarrior Online is something I've been playing for years, despite its free-to-play flaws.

My gripe with it? Custom designs. Everything is min-maxed to hell to the point where it doesn't even make sense. I love that canon mechs (usually) had realistic quirks or weapon distributions with a lot of variety. For example a common Thunderbolt mech would likely have a large laser, machine guns, missiles, and medium lasers. It made sense. Certain mechs were designed in-universe to always have certain weapon focuses. Any Marauder will pack two large energy weapons in its arms and a strong support weapon in its right torso.

But players online just pack in as many of one weapon that will fit. So you end up with dumb designs like a Direwolf with 8 tiny cannons or a Mad Cat with 2 giant auto cannons and nothing else. A Battlemaster with two gauss rifles and one particle cannon. Take the Thunderbolt and give it four large lasers and nothing else that makes it have any of its original personality.

Getting mad about mechs here.

I just wish there was a mode that encouraged people to play a larger variety of mechs. To their credit, developers have tried to limit "___ boats" but it hasn't really worked.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A Mad Cat without the iconic missile launchers? That's some kind of crime somewhere, right? It's gotta be.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Because now it's just got 8 medium pulse lasers, no other weapons, and ton of heat sinks.

Blegh.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Eclipse12 posted:

I'm a HUGE Battletech fanboy, to the point where I have hundreds of metal minis. So Mechwarrior Online is something I've been playing for years, despite its free-to-play flaws.

My gripe with it? Custom designs. Everything is min-maxed to hell to the point where it doesn't even make sense. I love that canon mechs (usually) had realistic quirks or weapon distributions with a lot of variety. For example a common Thunderbolt mech would likely have a large laser, machine guns, missiles, and medium lasers. It made sense. Certain mechs were designed in-universe to always have certain weapon focuses. Any Marauder will pack two large energy weapons in its arms and a strong support weapon in its right torso.

But players online just pack in as many of one weapon that will fit. So you end up with dumb designs like a Direwolf with 8 tiny cannons or a Mad Cat with 2 giant auto cannons and nothing else. A Battlemaster with two gauss rifles and one particle cannon. Take the Thunderbolt and give it four large lasers and nothing else that makes it have any of its original personality.

I just wish there was a mode that encouraged people to play a larger variety of mechs. To their credit, developers have tried to limit "___ boats" but it hasn't really worked.

MWO just made me miss Mechwarrior Living Legends more. Generally, each Mech had a couple of different loadout options, so you could grab a Catapult with LRMS or Thunderbolts depending on your mood.
Also being able to use vehicles was fantastic. I loved being able to grab a Harasser with a pair of LRM10s and just annoy the poo poo out of people early on. Then getting enough creds to pick up something with Arrow IVs or Thunderbolts.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Eclipse12 posted:

It's kind of a shame because there's a fun game in there, and the idea of MWO is really cool. But people have gotten mech designs down to such perfect math that it's just kind of not fun anymore unless you're also one of those mathweirds and every fight just devolves into a bunch of robots hiding behind cover waiting for another robot to get bored and peek out to waste some ammo because the near literal instant your cockpit is exposed you get nuked with inhuman precision.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I forgot about Legends...

Glad other people agree. And I love the people in the MWO thread here, but even there people will say things like "Take out that SRM so you reduce your armor in your left side and then add 4 more ER Small Lasers and two more heat sinks. You're not optimized." Laaame.

At least in standard matches you can still have a decent time in most stock/canon mechs if you don't expect too much from yourself and you really play carefully, but you're always outmatched due to imperfect optimization. Solaris 7 (one-on-one duels) cranked the optimization problem up to 11. In that format, all mechs you face will have been tweaked to the nth degree. And since the time to start and wait between matches takes forever, it really discourages anything but perfect builds.

And some mechs that, in tabletop, are total badasses just become absolutely mediocre. The Phoenix Hawk 3PL is a badass in Battletech because it can jump around like crazy but with pulse weapons and a targeting computer, you're still hitting your shots while they're whiffing against you. In MWO, jumping is usually pointless in close combat and if anything is MORE likely to get you killed. And the PHX model is weirdly big.

And then I got my hopes up for MW5...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Qwezz posted:

Same problem's here in FF7Remake as well! It's weird they don't just ask you to hit a button to continue like Hyrule Warriors does. For all it's faults like the tutorial menus being a mess and there being no easy way to mass sell weapons across characters or activating badges one by one for each thing it does have that going for it.

The UI isn't great, but the game is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Same problem's here in FF7Remake as well! It's weird they don't just ask you to hit a button to continue like Hyrule Warriors does. For all it's faults like the tutorial menus being a mess and there being no easy way to mass sell weapons across characters or activating badges one by one for each thing it does have that going for it.

The UI isn't great, but the game is fun.

The load times don’t suck in the FF7 remake? I was only holding off so I could play it on an SSD eventually. I’m spoiled by my PC’s short load times and haven’t really been able to tolerate the PS4’s slow as hell loading lately.