Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched one joe bob and I didn’t get it

I also honestly don’t really need a joe bob type in my life, especially not a nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Maniac (specifically the Elijah Wood remake) is the only horror movie in recent memory to make me feel really uncomfortable, something about the POV and the way it didn't cut away from the kills was just... It makes you complicit in it. Especially that first scene ("Please don't scream, you're so beautiful" and then he shoves the knife through her chin), I think I stopped breathing for a few seconds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I get that uncomfortable feeling and I like it, but it doesn’t last in any other way other than “ohh poo poo dude this movie is rooough!” Like a badge of honor

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

Blood Diner is suck an icky film

I just watched it, and oof you weren’t kidding. Super misogynistic, even compared to other sleazy 80s horror. It’s a shame because I liked the goofy tone and the gore.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s weird for me when this conversation occasionally pops up because I was always more unnerved by the psychology of horror than the blood and guts themselves. I grew up on the south side of Chicago so I’ve seen people get shot and stabbed and all types of other crazy poo poo. Like, I saw my first dead body when I was around 8, it was some dude who was beat to death in front of the bar my grandma would send me to tell my grandpa that dinner was ready. It wasn’t scary, it just was.

I can get myself worked up to feel a little spooked maybe, but scared? Nah.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 25, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think it was in the Why Horror? documentary where they mention the theory that it's possible if you watch enough horror films, it rewires your brain's fear center so it'll only fire up if it's something to be seriously afraid over.

My roomate doesn't like horror movies, but it does make me wonder if plebs worry that Jason Vorhees is hiding in the closet after watching Friday the 13th. I can also say that I feel like I'm a lot more collected about being locked in with the COVID than a lot of my peers who are plotting to avoid social distancing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

My roomate doesn't like horror movies, but it does make me wonder if plebs worry that Jason Vorhees is hiding in the closet after watching Friday the 13th.

This is how my imagination always has and still does run wild. Less that I think literally Jason is about to pop out and get me but more I'll be walking around the house in the dark and think, "Wow, it would really suck if some poo poo like that happened huh?" and it gets my hackles up a little. But, I logically know none of that is gonna happen.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

My review for Blood Diner on Letterboxd reads:

"Is it possible to give a film 6 stars?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheKingslayer posted:

This is how my imagination always has and still does run wild. Less that I think literally Jason is about to pop out and get me but more I'll be walking around the house in the dark and think, "Wow, it would really suck if some poo poo like that happened huh?" and it gets my hackles up a little. But, I logically know none of that is gonna happen.

I feel like the last time I had that feeling was in 1995, when I went downstairs to use the bathroom while watching the NIght of the Living Dead remake on TNT.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

My review for Blood Diner on Letterboxd reads:

"Is it possible to give a film 6 stars?"

Gonna find time for this this weekend

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The last time I can remember a film actually scaring me is the Amityville horror with Ryan Reynolds when I was still a teenagers. I can't get scared really anymore. I can feel tense or uncomfortable but not really scared.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's hard for anything to be scarier than hellworld

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Gonna find time for this this weekend

:hfive:

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The last time I can remember a film actually scaring me is the Amityville horror with Ryan Reynolds when I was still a teenagers. I can't get scared really anymore. I can feel tense or uncomfortable but not really scared.

I think the last film to genuinely scare me was Noroi: The Curse

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pomp posted:

It's hard for anything to be scarier than hellworld

Agreed, its the worst Hellraiser sequel

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Last movie to scare me was Audition when it came out because it helped me realize I was objectifying women too much.

I like horror because it puts people in situations that cut right down to the core of what that person is, including their fight or flight reflex

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The last time my horror hog made so much as a squeal was when I was watching Hereditary for the first time on a good projector, loud as gently caress.

I guess I watch horror movies mainly to see confirmation of my worldview that the world is a dark forest, nothing is true and everything is permitted.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I don't mean to say horror movies don't engage me now or I'm to grown up for them. I found Hereditary deeply unsettling and intriguing but I wouldn't say it "scared" me. I didn't stay up at night scared to close my eyes like I did when I was a kid.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah I don't mean to say horror movies don't engage me now or I'm to grown up for them. I found Hereditary deeply unsettling and intriguing but I wouldn't say it "scared" me. I didn't stay up at night scared to close my eyes like I did when I was a kid.

Horror films can still be unsettling, and unnerving to me, but that's about it. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (all versions) still does it to where I can't watch any of them.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

It's hard to compare the filmgoing experience to when you were a kid as well, because kids have no expectations or cynicism. For kids everything is a visceral experience unmediated by years of mental baggage. They're not projecting as much of themselves onto the movie, they're just taking it in in its purest form. I guess that's why group viewings can sometimes elevate a movie, because they introduce an unpredictable outside element that forces us to actually engage with the material in ways beyond our comfort zones.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

I think it was in the Why Horror? documentary where they mention the theory that it's possible if you watch enough horror films, it rewires your brain's fear center so it'll only fire up if it's something to be seriously afraid over.

Lol not with anxiety it doesn’t. Literally everything scares me.

Me remembering how embarrassingly nerdy I was in front of Bruce Campbell frightens me more than any movie ever made.

I still get cold sweats from that.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

Lol not with anxiety it doesn’t. Literally everything scares me.

Me remembering how embarrassingly nerdy I was in front of Bruce Campbell frightens me more than any movie ever made.

I still get cold sweats from that.

Not sure if it'll help, but it's perfectly normal to get all nerdy meeting Bruce Campbell.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

If y'all horror boners aren't working maybe try some horror lit.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The graboids are returning to Perfection. Humanity is the virus. Covid is the cure. Nature is amazing. :h:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Tertius Oculum posted:

If y'all horror boners aren't working maybe try some horror lit.

someone needs to corner the market and make some horror based blue chews. start handing out promo codes on all the horror podcasts, stat!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
IT2 is on tonight and goddamn the CGI kids faces is poorly done

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shrecknet posted:

The graboids are returning to Perfection. Humanity is the virus. Covid is the cure. Nature is amazing. :h:

This made me laugh out loud, and I thank you for that.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm terrified of jumpscares so any cheap horror can scare me into watching from in between my fingers. What I think is actually the physical sign of something being scary to me is goosebumps (not that causing this makes them better horror movies in my mind)

Some that I distinctly remember:

The Ring - "What do you mean, you HELPED her?" Fuuuuck
Tale of Two Sisters - two scenes there actually, so as much of a convoluted mess the movie is as a whole, it actually got me twice. Bed and kitchen sink.
Us - The beginning with the hall off mirrors doppelganger. In retrospect, I think Us is a much better horror movie than Get Out.
It Follows: Goosebumps AFTER the movie. Made the concept of someone walking towards you on the street something to be wary of.
Sleepaway Camp: you know the scene

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 25, 2020

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Oh man the "I saw her face" scene in The Ring got me good when I was, what, 18ish? Whenever it came out and I saw it in the theater.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I find the (early, 1-3) Paranormal Activity films to be fairly scary as there’s elements in there which take strongly from real life accounts of hauntings.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The_Doctor posted:

I find the (early, 1-3) Paranormal Activity films to be fairly scary as there’s elements in there which take strongly from real life accounts of hauntings.

that's a series i haven't thought about in awhile. how do any of the sequels hold up past 3? that's where i think i stopped watching.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

I just watched it, and oof you weren’t kidding. Super misogynistic, even compared to other sleazy 80s horror. It’s a shame because I liked the goofy tone and the gore.
Not invalidating the misogynistic criticism, but it is directed by a lady!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

dorium posted:

that's a series i haven't thought about in awhile. how do any of the sequels hold up past 3? that's where i think i stopped watching.

4 has some nicely creepy moments, and 5 (Ghost Dimension) is just terrible, straining too hard to keep its 3D gimmick. I haven’t seen the Marked Ones, but apparently that’s alright?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like Paranormal Activity. I think the scares get less each time with diminishing returns but they seem to know that and shift the focus to the absolutely insane meta plot. Which is like... I dunno. But its definitely something. They also try and change up the ways you can see things with different setups and gimmicks as they go, which are hit and miss. But like, I think for a series that started minimalist and really got squeezed for every last drop I think they really do try.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not invalidating the misogynistic criticism, but it is directed by a lady!

Didn’t realize that, that’s interesting. A lot of it came across as incel-level poo poo, like the guys shooting up a room full of naked cheerleaders while laughing and calling them sluts. Maybe at the time that was something that could only happen in sleazy horror movies but it hits a little too close to reality today.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The_Doctor posted:

4 has some nicely creepy moments, and 5 (Ghost Dimension) is just terrible, straining too hard to keep its 3D gimmick. I haven’t seen the Marked Ones, but apparently that’s alright?

Hmm maybe I’ll give the series a watch this week.

I’m watching Night of the Demons for the first time. drat this Judy character is annoying and useless. The Alice in a Wonderland garb isn’t helping either. At least Alice was headstrong and got poo poo done.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

M_Sinistrari posted:

Not sure if it'll help, but it's perfectly normal to get all nerdy meeting Bruce Campbell.

I was also in front of an entire sold out theater audience....playing a game show

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does anyone know where to find 29 needles i cant even find a dvd

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I was also in front of an entire sold out theater audience....playing a game show

He called me on stage up to do a skit with him like 20 years ago that ended up with the punchline that I greenlighted Congo, but I didnt want to play along because I thought Congo was overrated as a bad movie. That didn't go too well.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I am having to watch Knock Knock for a podcast and I don’t know if I’ve ever hated a movie more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darko posted:

He called me on stage up to do a skit with him like 20 years ago that ended up with the punchline that I greenlighted Congo, but I didnt want to play along because I thought Congo was overrated as a bad movie. That didn't go too well.
Lmfao oh noooo