Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I guess retailers are just trying to stimulate demand to keep some kind of cash flow going. The new cards won't be released for months, it's way too early to wind down production of the 2-series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm looking at buying an EVGA 2700S as I've had good luck with EVGA in the past but what the heck is the difference (aside from a minor price one) between Black gaming, FTW3 ultra gaming, gaming, XC gaming, XC hybrid gaming and XC Ultra gaming?

These models are absurdly named and the descriptions are useless. Which one is the best value for money? I tried googling this but my google is weak today and got results that were even more confusing and spoke about model numbers (and there were, for example, four different types of "Black gaming", with only one apparently acceptable).

I'm looking at Newegg's site here for all the different models

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Vasler posted:

I'm looking at buying an EVGA 2700S as I've had good luck with EVGA in the past but what the heck is the difference (aside from a minor price one) between Black gaming, FTW3 ultra gaming, gaming, XC gaming, XC hybrid gaming and XC Ultra gaming?

These models are absurdly named and the descriptions are useless. Which one is the best value for money? I tried googling this but my google is weak today and got results that were even more confusing and spoke about model numbers (and there were, for example, four different types of "Black gaming", with only one apparently acceptable).

I'm looking at Newegg's site here for all the different models

Anything with hybrid in the name is likely going to come with a pre attached aio liquid cooler (almost certainly 120mm except one or two of the 2080ti models). Beyond that differentiation is going to come down to clock speed out of the box and binning chips that can clock higher into the higher end skus. Some of the higher end ones might use 2.5 or 3 slot coolers. Honestly it's not worth stressing over you're probably looking at like 5% difference between the high end skus and the cheap ones.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I always look more at warranty than any of the weird subtle stuff that I might not even notice. If it’s adequately cooled for what I want to do with it, my next priority is making sure my rear end is covered if something goes wrong.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have the XC Ultra which before the dark times was $550. Reviews said the reduction in fan speed due to the thicker heatsink was noticeable and I figured there was more overclocking headroom possibly for $10 or $20 more or whatever it was. Now seems like it's out of stock on newegg and $830???

article about black edition vs xc ultra: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3386-nvidias-secret-gpu-tu106-400-vs-400a-2070-xc-ultra-review

Dogen fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 24, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nvidia's GTC keynote has been rescheduled for May 14th

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-gtc-2020-keynote-with-ceo-jensen-huang-set-for-may-14

"Get Amped"... Ampere? :thunk:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I always look more at warranty than any of the weird subtle stuff that I might not even notice. If it’s adequately cooled for what I want to do with it, my next priority is making sure my rear end is covered if something goes wrong.

Yeah, pretty much this. Other than the Hybrid or other water-cooling kit options, there isn't a whole lot of performance difference between any of the card iterations these days. The "FTW DT" or "detuned" ones are probably the only ones I'd actively stay away from, since those are ones that they do not promise anything for in terms of overclocking, and thus are liable to be the worst performing ones.

Past that, find whichever one is currently cheapest, do a basic review search on that specific model to make sure there's no weird gotchas in the cooling solution, and enjoy.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Since all I buy anymore is EVGA , I can probably provide some EVGA-specific help. Yeah, their naming system is pretty dumb, but it does have the benefit of being relatively consistent: Watercooling is, well, what it says on the tin; FTW is almost always a more performance-oriented part with a 3-fan cooler on it (and probably RGB bling); XC Gaming is about the same as FTW but with a 2-fan cooler (and probably RGB bling); Gaming is the base model. There are other random designations sometimes that mean . . . something. Maybe.

When I'm shopping cards, the first thing I do is go to EVGA's site and look up the list of parts for whatever my target model is:

https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2070+Super

The nice thing about their site is that it's real easy to see all of what they offer and the specs on each on the same page. Their site usually runs a bit more expensive than retailers, though (although sometimes things are on sale for the same price as retail), so once I've settled on a card, I'll copy/paste the part number into Amazon/Newegg/wherever and go from there:

One thing I should really do is educate myself on how important the different metrics are (Boost Clock, Texture Fill Rate, Memory Clock, and Memory Bandwidth are). At least I understand what the "Memory" line means :v:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

Nvidia's GTC keynote has been rescheduled for May 14th

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-gtc-2020-keynote-with-ceo-jensen-huang-set-for-may-14

"Get Amped"... Ampere? :thunk:

Has nVidia been consistent in the time between announcing and releasing cards in the past? I.e. are there any conclusions we could draw about when the release might be from the announcement date?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
"Get Amped for Latest Platform Breakthroughs in AI, Deep Learning, Autonomous Vehicles, Robotics and Professional Graphics"

Still guessing this is the GA100 (or whatever the codename ends up being) and the consumer cards will follow this fall. I wouldn't count on consumer cards being announced there, although it would be nice if it happens.

It'll still be a nice insight into what NVIDIA has done with the architecture, it will give us some ballpark estimates for perf-per-core, perf-per-mm2, and perf-per-watt gains which can be extrapolated into various scenarios for consumer cards.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 24, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zarin posted:

One thing I should really do is educate myself on how important the different metrics are (Boost Clock, Texture Fill Rate, Memory Clock, and Memory Bandwidth are). At least I understand what the "Memory" line means :v:

Basically none of that matters between editions of cards, because all cards are going to try to clock up to their maximum, which is relatively consistent across the models, with the exception of the "FWT DT" (which tends to scale lower). It used to matter a lot more in like the 700 and 900 series where the auto-clocking system was less efficient, but that's mostly a thing of bygone days now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

"Get Amped for Latest Platform Breakthroughs in AI, Deep Learning, Autonomous Vehicles, Robotics and Professional Graphics"

Still guessing this is the GA100 (or whatever the codename ends up being) and the consumer cards will follow this fall. I wouldn't count on consumer cards being announced there, although it would be nice if it happens.

Yeah they're well overdue for a Volta successor - GV100 is coming up on three years old now. It's a pretty safe bet that they'll announce a new massive chip with HBM first, that we'll never see on consumer cards except maybe on another $3000 Titan.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If they announce the Quadro cards you can probably start figuring out likely release timefraes. If it's just their cloud stuff/Tesla that is a bit harder to figure out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

There was a report on DigiTimes (synthesized through my buddies memory cause digitimes subs are expensive) that AMD and Nvidia are snapping up every spare 7nm wafer they can get from TSMC, as some customers cancel orders due to Covid. They specifically mention that this is for both GPUs and CPUs for each company, which suggests Nvidia could also be getting the wafers for things like the next gen Switch SoC and not necessarily GPUs, though.

There has also been some reports/speculation that there is some release timing gamesmanship going on between AMD with Big Navi and Nvidia with their response, with neither wanting to push the chips in until the other does. Supposedly Big Navi is going to be enterprise first, and Nvidia's cancelled announcement was also an enterprise part to head Big Navi off.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

There was a report on DigiTimes (synthesized through my buddies memory cause digitimes subs are expensive) that AMD and Nvidia are snapping up every spare 7nm wafer they can get from TSMC, as some customers cancel orders due to Covid. They specifically mention that this is for both GPUs and CPUs for each company, which suggests Nvidia could also be getting the wafers for things like the next gen Switch SoC and not necessarily GPUs, though.

There has also been some reports/speculation that there is some release timing gamesmanship going on between AMD with Big Navi and Nvidia with their response, with neither wanting to push the chips in until the other does. Supposedly Big Navi is going to be enterprise first, and Nvidia's cancelled announcement was also an enterprise part to head Big Navi off.

I'm still crossing my fingers that consumer Ampere is on TSMC. Samsung production would be such a wet fart. Right now you're either on TSMC or you ain't poo poo, TSMC is just mind-bogglingly far ahead of everyone else in the game at the moment. (which is really Intel's problem too).

If it's just 3050 tier parts then who cares but I want a TSMC 3080 Ti drat it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The most important thing to look at when buying GPUs is noise. GPUs are responsible for most of the audible noise of a PC, saving a few bucks and getting a crappy cooler is something you'll regret.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Zarin posted:

Since all I buy anymore is EVGA , I can probably provide some EVGA-specific help. Yeah, their naming system is pretty dumb, but it does have the benefit of being relatively consistent: Watercooling is, well, what it says on the tin; FTW is almost always a more performance-oriented part with a 3-fan cooler on it (and probably RGB bling); XC Gaming is about the same as FTW but with a 2-fan cooler (and probably RGB bling); Gaming is the base model.

To expand on this, it seems their lineup (2080 super as an example) is as follows:

2 slot, 1 fan
GAMING (blower + RGB)

2 slot, 2 fans
KO GAMING (basic cooler)
BLACK GAMING (iCX2 Cooling)
XC GAMING (iCX2 Cooling + metal backplate + RGB)

2.75 slot, 2 fans
XC2 GAMING (iCX2 Cooling + iCX2 Technology + RGB)
XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED (iCX2 Cooling + RGB + factory overclock)

2.75 slot, 3 fans
FTW3 (iCX2 Cooling + iCX2 Technology + metal backplate + RGB)
FTW3 OC (iCX2 Cooling + iCX2 Technology + metal backplate + RGB + factory overclock)

Seems like the BLACK GAMING would be the best value for money, unless there is some non aesthetic benefit to a metal backplate that I''m not aware of.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is RTX Voice out already? Where do I press button?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

VelociBacon posted:

Is RTX Voice out already? Where do I press button?

https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/broadcast_engine/secure/NVIDIA_RTX_Voice.exe

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Incessant Excess posted:

To expand on this, it seems their lineup (2080 super as an example) is as follows:

Seems like the BLACK GAMING would be the best value for money, unless there is some non aesthetic benefit to a metal backplate that I''m not aware of.

Basing it off nothing but intuition, I'd guess that a metal backplate would have some sort of heat-dissipation property. I don't think it'd be aesthetics, because . . . oh, now that I think about it, I guess the cards do sit board-up in a standard tower machine, don't they? Welp.

K8.0 posted:

The most important thing to look at when buying GPUs is noise. GPUs are responsible for most of the audible noise of a PC, saving a few bucks and getting a crappy cooler is something you'll regret.

While noise doesn't bother me, keeping the card cool does since I like to run folding when I'm not playing a game.

However, thinking about it now, I ASSUME that the 3-fan models are better, but would a 2-fan model allow for larger (and therefore lower-RPM) fans? (Which, in turn, means less noise)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Zarin posted:

Basing it off nothing but intuition, I'd guess that a metal backplate would have some sort of heat-dissipation property. I don't think it'd be aesthetics, because . . . oh, now that I think about it, I guess the cards do sit board-up in a standard tower machine, don't they? Welp.

All those cooling solutions add quite a bit of weight. Reinforcing the structure is not a bad idea.

eames
May 9, 2009

Mindblast posted:

All those cooling solutions add quite a bit of weight. Reinforcing the structure is not a bad idea.

Yes, structural integrity is the main benefit of a backplate. Unfortunately lots of the cheaper cards now come with plastic backplates for cosmetic reasons, or have a metal backplate without thermal pads contacting the PCB.

If money is not the main concern and you want a very quiet video card, you could also buy a card that’s one performance tier higher than what you require and simply undervolt/powerlimit it.
You’ll loose a bit performance compared to stock clocks, but you’ll typically still have a faster card than the lower tier, except that it’ll run more efficiently and it should be nearly silent.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mindblast posted:

It's also not really needed. There's no real negative to a metal backplate, other than cost, but they've never been shown to have any actual benefit, either. They just prevent "card sag" which itself is just aesthetic. Up to you whether that's worth the $20 or whatever.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I saw a card on H with no backplate that looked like a horseshoe. It wasn't just aesthetics as the card stopped running reliably. I think the structural arms for some cards are overkill for the most part, although I'm actually using the one on my 2080ti as the MSI Gaming X Trio is a really, really heavy card.

Most of my recent cards have been MSI models thanks to their quiet coolers and transferrable warranties helping keep the resale value up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Looked like a horseshoe? Like bent 180 degrees? Don't get me wrong, you can damage a card by not securing it properly and then banging your case on the ground or trying to ship it UPS or somesuch, but under normal static use even the heavy cards aren't damaging themselves.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Zarin posted:

Since all I buy anymore is EVGA , I can probably provide some EVGA-specific help. Yeah, their naming system is pretty dumb, but it does have the benefit of being relatively consistent: Watercooling is, well, what it says on the tin; FTW is almost always a more performance-oriented part with a 3-fan cooler on it (and probably RGB bling); XC Gaming is about the same as FTW but with a 2-fan cooler (and probably RGB bling); Gaming is the base model. There are other random designations sometimes that mean . . . something. Maybe.

When I'm shopping cards, the first thing I do is go to EVGA's site and look up the list of parts for whatever my target model is:

https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+20+Series+Family&chipset=RTX+2070+Super

The nice thing about their site is that it's real easy to see all of what they offer and the specs on each on the same page. Their site usually runs a bit more expensive than retailers, though (although sometimes things are on sale for the same price as retail), so once I've settled on a card, I'll copy/paste the part number into Amazon/Newegg/wherever and go from there:

Thanks for this! So would XC Gaming be a kind of "middle of the road" type of card? Not blower but not water cooled and sort of still good?

Also, I looked at the XC Gaming ones on EVGA's website and they had three separate models. It seems funny how "diversified" one model of card can be. 2070s are segmented into these nonsensical categories of "Black" and "XC Gaming" and then further segmented into what looks like things that are slightly overclocked and then more slightly overclocked?

Yowza.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Vasler posted:

Thanks for this! So would XC Gaming be a kind of "middle of the road" type of card? Not blower but not water cooled and sort of still good?

Also, I looked at the XC Gaming ones on EVGA's website and they had three separate models. It seems funny how "diversified" one model of card can be. 2070s are segmented into these nonsensical categories of "Black" and "XC Gaming" and then further segmented into what looks like things that are slightly overclocked and then more slightly overclocked?

Yowza.

I think saying that the XC Gaming is the midline of the EVGA lineup is probably correct, or maybe even a half-step above that. Someone earlier said that the XC Black looked like the sweet spot for price/performance, but it depends on what you're looking for.

You probably won't go wrong as long as you avoid blower models, heh. And I've never considered water-cooled because, to me, it feels like it's still not necessary; the FTW cooler seems to be able to keep cards sub-70C with 40%-50% fan speed while running Folding@Home. But, some people like it!

Yeah, that's why I like to look at all the options, then just search for the part number of my pick on retail sites. And, usually, maybe one or two above it that I seemed "too expensive" in case there happens to be a sale somewhere.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

DrDork posted:

Looked like a horseshoe? Like bent 180 degrees? Don't get me wrong, you can damage a card by not securing it properly and then banging your case on the ground or trying to ship it UPS or somesuch, but under normal static use even the heavy cards aren't damaging themselves.
It was this one:
https://hardforum.com/threads/what-is-wrong-with-my-curved-videocard.1992656/

I mean that shouldn't happen under normal circumstances and God knows what he did to get it that way, but I was reminded of a couple old cards that bent. Honestly for me it's more if the vendor cheaped out on a thin metal backplate I worry what else they saved $.05 on that may screw me down the line.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Which situations are blowers good in? It seems like even in ITX you’re almost always better off with a dual fan setup. Or maybe prebuilts? But idk, even Dell seems to appreciate cooling on their gaming pcs.

Also is overclocking a GPU worth any additional cost for a higher sku? At what point do you just the next higher tier part?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Now that SLI is good and dead, it’s pretty much only where you have really bad internal airflow, AFAICT.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

buglord posted:

Which situations are blowers good in? It seems like even in ITX you’re almost always better off with a dual fan setup. Or maybe prebuilts? But idk, even Dell seems to appreciate cooling on their gaming pcs.

Also is overclocking a GPU worth any additional cost for a higher sku? At what point do you just the next higher tier part?

Blowers nearly always work (if never great), which is why they were the were go to for reference desigs for a long time. They are the 'best' option in only a few types of scenarios... trash prebuilts like you mentioned (believe it or not, there are still some prebuilts out there that use the PSU fan sucking air out of the case as the only case fan in the system), and various workstation/server/multigpu setups where open coolers would choke their neighbor cards. If you are in a situation where the GPU will have a slot or two of space and you can put even a single case fan in, open coolers will probably be better.

As for the second question, theres gonna probably be a lot of disagreement over it. To me, I don't really think its worth spending any premium on it to be honest, unless you are balling out to try to set benchmark records or price is no object. With modern GPU clock behaviors, the $/frame uptick from premium designs has really gotten a ton worse.

My general buying thought process is usually: Identify chipset i want -> Identify the cheapest non-blower EVGA card -> Check to make sure the EVGA isnt like $50 more than other AIB cards (the base EVGA is nearly always the cheapest, buts sales happen). If not, done!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 25, 2020

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Now that SLI is good and dead, it’s pretty much only where you have really bad internal airflow, AFAICT.

SLI may be dead but multi-GPU setups aren't, fully loaded workstations with three or four GPUs packed tightly together are still better off with blowers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

buglord posted:

Or maybe prebuilts? But idk, even Dell seems to appreciate cooling on their gaming pcs.

I have a prebuilt (don’t judge, I got it for cheaper than building it myself would have been through some kind of bizarre miracle) and it’s got a blower-type 2070S. I’ve never had any heat issues with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

SLI may be dead but multi-GPU setups aren't, fully loaded workstations with three or four GPUs packed tightly together are still better off with blowers.

That’s true, I wasn’t thinking about workstations (or servers for that matter).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol just lol if you dont have 11 gpus in your workstation though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2qIYvgFaE

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

he can't fool me, that's just a repurposed shell from a chest freezer

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

repiv posted:

Too bad software is so badly written it only two gpus and like 16 threads.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
You could probably get some awesome render speeds in blender though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

K8.0 posted:

That's why I've been buying the very cheapest GPU's and swapping the cooler since Geforce 4 times. Stock coolers are the worst. Also today Nvidia's GPU fan profiles are somehow hosed so I have to run the fans off motherboard.

GPU manufacturers just can't design a working cooling system even if their life depended on it. Small coolers, poo poo fans, terrible paste job every single time.