Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Seemlar posted:

The Weirding Modules were a very simple and easily explained power only the Atreidies and later Fremen could have compared to a martial art based around a persons control of the muscles in their body being so absolute that they could move and strike inhumanly fast

I'm not sure the 1984 version of moving like Neo in the Matrix would have come out looking especially good. It didn't even look good in 2000 in the miniseries.

The miniseries doubly sucked because it was all showy and flashy. Real Bene Gesserit/Fedyakeen kung-fu should be quick and brutal, not running round as vague blur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Weirding Modules also accentuate and foreground the speech and language themes that are in the book. Paul can literally kill with a word.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Arglebargle III posted:

I've mentioned it before but the film is really dark throughout for no apparent reason.

Lost Highway and Blue Velvet also have a similar "crushed blacks" thing in their color grading. That's kinda just the general Lynch look (and I love it).

In the process of making an HD re-cut of Dune using Spice Diver's version as a template (though his edit adds a little too much fluff in the first act). We'll see how it turns out. Gonna try to make the bad matte shots less obvious too if possible.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

PeterWeller posted:

The Weirding Modules also accentuate and foreground the speech and language themes that are in the book. Paul can literally kill with a word.

What they actually show is that they allow ANYBODY to kill with several different words.

The wierding modules just appear out of nowhere in the movie and functionally are just voice activated laser guns. They don't DO anything interesting, it's just an overly complicated way to get pew pew into the movie.

It also undercuts the idea of the Fremen being especially capable warriors, because what the movie actually shows us is that they're given a crate of secret weapons and win by shooting people with them.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 22, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sean10mm posted:

What they actually show is that they allow ANYBODY to kill with several different words.

The wierding modules just appear out of nowhere in the movie and functionally are just voice activated laser guns. They don't DO anything interesting, it's just an overly complicated way to get pew pew into the movie.

It also undercuts the idea of the Fremen being especially capable warriors, because what the movie actually shows us is that they're given a crate of secret weapons and win by shooting people with them.

Yeah, sure. So language is powerful and one can be trained to wield that power through a weirding module. The point is the modules make Paul's "I can kill you with a word" line from the novel literal and not just a reference to the Fremen's loyalty. And Paul still gets to be special. That line from the novel is replaced with "my name is a killing word."

And they don't come from out of nowhere. They're called weirding modules to link them to the Bene Gesserit "weirding way" which is demonstrated most prominently in the film by Bene Gesserit using the Voice. And then at the end of the film, Paul demonstrates his mastery of the weirding way by using the Voice to crush Feyd's body without assistance of a module.

Sure they undercut the Fremen's prowess. And sure, they're a weird and silly addition. But they're a lot more than just an overly complicated way to get pew pew into the movie.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It did give us the Sonic Tank in the Westwood games and that's a good enough reason for me

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aces High posted:

It did give us the Sonic Tank in the Westwood games and that's a good enough reason for me

Came here to post this.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Just have people fight with rifles and machine guns and tanks and have a montage ending with the fremen rolling in with T-55s, doesn't really change anything

Way more interesting cinematically than yet another kung fu

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's true endless martial arts contests are getting old.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
please don't take my titanium speedo knife fight from me.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Tournament Arc!!!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've never seen the Lynch movie or the miniseries. I'm not sure if I want to.

the miniseries is slavishly faithful to the book, i think the only significant thing they changed is, like, a couple of Leto's lines got moved to Paul to help compensate for the fact that he's being played by a 26-year-old instead of a teenager and make him seem more involved in the Atreides family affairs

i have nostalgia for it and i genuinely love the costuming but it's a mixed bag at best in all other respects

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ian McNiece is so good as the Baron in the miniseries. Some of the other actors are spotty; there's enough subpar or mediocre about the miniseries that I'd call it optional, but there's enough good about it that I usually encourage others to give it a chance.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The actor for Paul is not a good choice and that drags it down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Ian McNiece is so good as the Baron in the miniseries. Some of the other actors are spotty; there's enough subpar or mediocre about the miniseries that I'd call it optional, but there's enough good about it that I usually encourage others to give it a chance.

Huh, I never saw this, but he’s really good in this clip. I love the costuming work here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P14BItB67zE

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What really got me is how the Dune miniseries shot all its "outdoor" scenes in front of matte paintings in a way that was extremely jarring.

It's like they REALLY went out of the way to light the scenes and frame the shots to emphasize as much as possible that you just had people walking in front of a painting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The more I see of the miniseries, the more it looks so of its era. Like some Lexx spinoff or so.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's definitely cheap.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The actor for Paul is not a good choice and that drags it down.

I watched it today and while he's too old I think he did pretty well for having to do sensitive-moments-while-beefcake, like Jamis' death and prophetic dreams.

Feyd was having a blast. I looked the actor up, apparently after a dry patch he moved home, went to community college and became a nurse/physician assistant, so that's nice.

I remember when we had to rent dvd players out from the video store, I think this and maybe Princess Mononoke were like half of the selection available.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah the Dune miniseries is fine if you go into it with realistic expectations for the time and budget of its creation, and there are a few genuinely good parts of it like Ian McNeice as has been mentioned. The whole thing is on YouTube if you poke around a bit. I never did see the entire Children of Dune series though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the miniseries is slavishly faithful to the book

And yet Irulan shows up at the Atreides banquet!

Generally the CoD series is better but still quite low-budget. I liked CoD Paul and yes of course McNiece as the Baron. Someone will probably post his lines from Rome.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

u brexit ukip it posted:

Someone will probably post his lines from Rome.

Only true maker spice for true Fremen.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The best way to experience the Lynch Dune is for someone to make you watch it before you know anything about Dune and just roll with it.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I couldn't watch more the 3 seconds of the mini-series. Too directionally flaccid for me to get into.

Class Warcraft posted:

The best way to experience the Lynch Dune is for someone to make you watch it before you know anything about Dune and just roll with it.

Was my first encounter with Dune, so that's probably why I dig it as much as I do (aside from being a huge Lynch fan).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sean10mm posted:

What really got me is how the Dune miniseries shot all its "outdoor" scenes in front of matte paintings in a way that was extremely jarring.

It's like they REALLY went out of the way to light the scenes and frame the shots to emphasize as much as possible that you just had people walking in front of a painting.

They did this intentionally because they realized during production they had no budget compared to what something like Dune would take so they tried to emphasize the matte painting backgrounds to make it look stagey and theatrical on purpose and that was a big part of them trying to talk up the mini-series' look before it premiered. It's most obvious in the exteriors but several interiors throughout do this also.

Anyway the Children of Dune adaptation was a lot better.

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, I never saw this, but he’s really good in this clip. I love the costuming work here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P14BItB67zE

Oh yeah he's definitely the standout of the whole thing. Shame the cast in general has a lot of talented folks in it but it's a little spotty at times. there's some bizarre miscasts and missteps in some cases too though, like the new guy they got to play Stilgar in Children of Dune or the actor/dialogue for Thufir? :cmon:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 24, 2020

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

As much as I love the SciFi series, Oscar-winning actor William Hurt was utterly wasted and basically slept through the filming.

"Desert...power...Paul...*snore*"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I think peeps can manage their expectations of SFX/acting if they always keep in mind that dune is a space opera about drugged out mutant witches stabbing each other

Killer voice machines are a great addition!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
"It's only tits and sandworms." - Ian McShane, probably cast in the movie somewhere

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

u brexit ukip it posted:

And yet Irulan shows up at the Atreides banquet!

I don’t think giving Irulan stuff to do was a mistake. The miniseries managed to make her an actual character, which was nice.

The screenplay is a pretty solid adaptation all around; it’s way better than the Lynch film in that sense. Too bad every other aspect of it showed off the nothing budget and B- casting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

I don’t think giving Irulan stuff to do was a mistake. The miniseries managed to make her an actual character, which was nice.

The screenplay is a pretty solid adaptation all around; it’s way better than the Lynch film in that sense. Too bad every other aspect of it showed off the nothing budget and B- casting.

The B is for the "Banzaaaai!" that adaptation's Thufir screams as he dies from rocks falling on him.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just remembered Kynes' last scene, naked and delerious in the deep desert 'gently caress you Harkonnens, my work is not yet done! ... Oh dear a spicebloom' was kind of hilarious.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

davidspackage posted:

The Lynch movie is, however, extremely watchable.

The first Dune miniseries is fairly mediocre, Children of Dune has the better visuals, actors, costumes, score, and writing, but has the unfortunate problem of its plot kind of falling in between more interesting events.

Distinctly remember seeing James Macavoy in it and thinking "whoa, this guy's good."

I knew he was going to be a star, and that score is drat good. Wish they had done the next book as a mini series with him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LionArcher posted:

I knew he was going to be a star, and that score is drat good. Wish they had done the next book as a mini series with him.

It’s fun when you can single out an actor and just know they’re headed for good things. I remember noticing Chadwick Boseman in a guest role on Fringe and thinking I’d see him again in a bigger role. He was absolutely killing it, way more than the subject matter deserved.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

It’s fun when you can single out an actor and just know they’re headed for good things. I remember noticing Chadwick Boseman in a guest role on Fringe and thinking I’d see him again in a bigger role. He was absolutely killing it, way more than the subject matter deserved.

Band of Brothers was a deep vein for this. Just the one-off supporting characters included Tom Hardy, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, Simon Pegg, Andrew Scott, and Dominic Cooper.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, but it's awful when you can single out an actor and just know they're headed for good things, but then look them up and see them stuck in bit parts for years if they're getting work at all. I have that all the time with contemporary actors who are still working, but the bigger bummer is seeing someone in a film from the 70s who is incredible, then looking them up only to see see that their career went absolutely nowhere afterward.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 27, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Michael Fassbender can't pick movies to save his life. His attempt to break into blockbuster lead roles were flops that anyone could have seen miles away. The assassin's creed movie? Yikes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Michael Fassbender can't pick movies to save his life. His attempt to break into blockbuster lead roles were flops that anyone could have seen miles away. The assassin's creed movie? Yikes.

At the time didn't most of the X-flicks he was in and Prometheus all do really well? I remember being similarly stunned that he was starring in Assassin's Creed even at that point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The miniseries doubly sucked because it was all showy and flashy. Real Bene Gesserit/Fedyakeen kung-fu should be quick and brutal, not running round as vague blur.

I would loving kill for like a Shaw Bros. or The Raid level of physical commitment to Dune fight scenes. Not that they should be flashy but like you say to make them really have that efficient sense of impact. Jodorowsky had the right idea making his son basically do nothing but extensive martial arts training for like two years straight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah he had a good string of supporting roles in successful movies but hasn't managed to parley that into being a hollywood lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah he had a good string of supporting roles in successful movies but hasn't managed to parley that into being a hollywood lead.

Didn't he have a leading role in a both Danny Boyle and Ridley Scott film