Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't see why it would be inefficient either, it means everything transports automatically between production modules rather than having to use freighters.

You can add modules until you find it too chuggy basically, yeah. Because you're rendering a lot of geometry. Same basic idea as in X3 except it's way more visually appealing and efficient than X3.

I always stick everything on one complex. As mentioned the main limit is that you can only assemble one module at a time, but it takes some time before that's your bottleneck, you can chew through a lot of funds fuelling even one complex expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
You can also just reduce station build times with modding if it feels too slow for your tastes.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

So how do you start the new split missions on an old save? Got a cutscene when I first saw a split ship near one of the new gates, but everything inside the split sectors is hostile. Scanning stations did not produce new story missions and the mission manager also got nothing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Domattee posted:

So how do you start the new split missions on an old save? Got a cutscene when I first saw a split ship near one of the new gates, but everything inside the split sectors is hostile. Scanning stations did not produce new story missions and the mission manager also got nothing.

Do the Hativkah mission first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe you need to complete the HAT plot first.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Questions about player wharfs/shipyards:

1. Will factions buy any ships from you or only those of their own design? I.e. is buying a faction's blueprints a requirement to sell ships back to them?

2. How does geographic distance factor into who buys ships from you? The buy order is presumably not tied to any specific ship or station.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

timn posted:

Questions about player wharfs/shipyards:

1. Will factions buy any ships from you or only those of their own design? I.e. is buying a faction's blueprints a requirement to sell ships back to them?

2. How does geographic distance factor into who buys ships from you? The buy order is presumably not tied to any specific ship or station.

(I have had only about 6 hours of playtime since I have my first wharf so it might be incorrect)

1. they seem to only buy their ships, however equipment (engine, turret variant) seem to not matter
2. my wharf is between argon and paranid space and I sell a ton of ships to the splits, so distance probably doesn't matter

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Are there any mods that add ship component content and/or is it decently easy to create that type of mod? I'd like to eventually be able to add some very expensive but very overpowered mods to ships endgame style.

This might be an incredibly stupid question... As I haven't started playing the game yet. It was fun to do that in X3AP tho with some of the mods.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone know how to "spawn" the mission "Hatikvah Trade Revolution" from a launch-save? I've been reading that you need to do this mission to access the new DLC missions but this mission simply isn't in my game. I even opened my save to check all available missions and it's not there.

I have +20 relationship with HAT.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Have you flown to hatikvah's choice? You pick it up from there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm surprised at how many missions there are in a game that's described as being a sandbox where you make your own (mis)adventures.
I don't mind, though. :allears:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

OwlFancier posted:

Have you flown to hatikvah's choice? You pick it up from there.

Of course, I've been everywhere. I got +700 hours on this save, that's what so annoying, I really don't want to start over. But I also can't understand this because I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. And as I said, I even opened the savefile to see all available missions in the game and that one is simply not there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's odd, I got it fine on a save carried over from 1.0

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

TjyvTompa posted:

Of course, I've been everywhere. I got +700 hours on this save, that's what so annoying, I really don't want to start over. But I also can't understand this because I haven't seen anyone else with this problem. And as I said, I even opened the savefile to see all available missions in the game and that one is simply not there.

I know it probably doesn't help but I couldn't get any of my 1.0 saves to run at all in the Split expansion. I wound up starting a new game because I couldn't figure it out.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Garfu posted:

Are there any mods that add ship component content and/or is it decently easy to create that type of mod? I'd like to eventually be able to add some very expensive but very overpowered mods to ships endgame style.

This might be an incredibly stupid question... As I haven't started playing the game yet. It was fun to do that in X3AP tho with some of the mods.

The ship mods in X4 are pretty ridiculously powerful as-is imo. They're also relatively rare and difficult to acquire the components for. They work well as a means to hotrod the bejesus out of your personal getting-poo poo-done craft or the flagship of your combat fleet.

Two game mods I like which make ship mods nicer to work with:

Equipment upgrades without RNG
In vanilla, applying a ship mod gives you randomly rolled stats. This mod makes them static.

Crafted Mod Components
Lets you craft rarer ship mod components from more common ones. Makes it feasible to acquire advanced and exceptional mod components without being gated really hard by RNG, but it doesn't make things too easy either.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

TjyvTompa posted:

Does anyone know how to "spawn" the mission "Hatikvah Trade Revolution" from a launch-save? I've been reading that you need to do this mission to access the new DLC missions but this mission simply isn't in my game. I even opened my save to check all available missions and it's not there.

I have +20 relationship with HAT.

I actually picked the mission up from my offers screen in Argon Prime instead of Hatikvah's Choice, try looking there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Specifically I think it works on the war mission system where you just have to be near the relevant sector.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is there an employee overview screen, or do I have to scan through every ship and station individually? I could have sworn there was something like this somewhere that would allow me to quickly find, say, 2 star management employees in my ranks.

Also, is it possible to remove a station module after I’ve built it?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mokotow posted:

Is there an employee overview screen, or do I have to scan through every ship and station individually? I could have sworn there was something like this somewhere that would allow me to quickly find, say, 2 star management employees in my ranks.

Go to player information and there's a section that says like "18 employees" or something, if you click on that you get a grid of them all.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mokotow posted:

It is possible to disassemble part of a station once it's built. IIRC go into the station planner and drag the parts you want gone off screen, or maybe right click and remove them. (I can't recall the exact details and I don't have the game open) Then have a builder ship come to your station to make the changes. You even get components back.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

How do I de-select targets? I used to just click in empty space and it would work. NOW, for whatever reason, I can't deselect anything. loving WHY? Is there some mode that I switched on? What the gently caress.

Also, how do I remotely command a ship to claim an abandoned ship? I have a pilot with an available marine on board, but there isn't any option to claim. When the pilot notified me of the abandoned ship, I told him to claim it (with the available marine he has), but he just does nothing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Things I didn't know, putting more cargo in a ship changes its mass and lowers its maneuverability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hCP1yuNe8

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
So, PSA: apparently there's a problem with the Split Vendetta version of either VRO or one of the Faction Enhancer components that basically means the Xenon get steamrolled. Signs seem to point to VRO, but most other people who ran into the issue seem to have been using both mods as well. Anyhow, tread carefully.

While it was kinda fun seeing the Antigones send an invasion fleet into Attya's Misfortune and taking over the place 10 hours in I think I'd rather have baddies around to explode so it's closer-to-vanilla restart #2 for me. Oh well, I still like the early game.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Things I didn't know, putting more cargo in a ship changes its mass and lowers its maneuverability:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0hCP1yuNe8

Wow, I was just thinking about this, too. I picked up a full load of hull parts in my Nemesis, and I was SURE it (slightly) affected my maneuverability! Glad to hear I'm not going crazy :D

Also, what the hell is that thing he flies into, at the start of the video?! Is it related to a story mission later on, like the Hub in X3?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's the Split Raptor, it's absolutely massive. You might not see one in the wild because I think there was an issue where shipyards couldn't always store enough stuff to actually build one :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I found a use for beam lasers at last. Some fighters are pretty good at staying alive despite the disgusting volume of fire a Raptor can spew in their direction, but beams are basically hit scan and once you have enough to fry an interceptor before they can move out of range beams can kill a disgustingly high volume of fighters.

Sure, it take 20-30 m-turret lasers but once your get there it turns every fight into a rave.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VRO lets you do that with guns and it's great, just streams of bullets flying in all directions.

It's quite impressive how many projectiles the game can handle without going pop.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

That's the Split Raptor, it's absolutely massive. You might not see one in the wild because I think there was an issue where shipyards couldn't always store enough stuff to actually build one :v:

I thought I should get one eventually, based on what I saw on-paper...but now I know that I must get one! :aaa:

By the way, how big should a defence platform be, to reliably beat a Xenon K? I have a defence platform that consists of 12 bridges and 12 disks, all packed with plasma cannons. I think it needs something like 15k or so turret components to build. Could that do it (OOS I guess - since if the xenon attack my home sector, it probably won't be when I'm around) without losing chunks of the platform, or should I build another?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The way the calculations work out you might lose pieces either way, but they don't have to be vital pieces. So add a bunch of connectors too, spread the guns around a bit and just be prepared to fix it up every now and then.

I haven't got a lot of experience with OOS vanilla combat in recent versions but that's certainly a lot more firepower than a K can pack, if you want you could also include some docks so you can just teleport over there whenever.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

I found a use for beam lasers at last. Some fighters are pretty good at staying alive despite the disgusting volume of fire a Raptor can spew in their direction, but beams are basically hit scan and once you have enough to fry an interceptor before they can move out of range beams can kill a disgustingly high volume of fighters.

Sure, it take 20-30 m-turret lasers but once your get there it turns every fight into a rave.

It is tragic that beams don't work like Freespace 2 beam weapons.

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum
Really enjoying the game with the new expansion, solidly novel once you figure things out and it's nicely filling the void left after finishing Helium Rain.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ok, so im.new to the series. Just got X4 and the split expansion after stumbling onto a let's play and really enjoying the look of the game.

I've installed a handful of mods because I couldn't help myself, but I have a don't issue.

Im about 8 hours into a game and the Xenon are loving stomping the Teladi. They just lot their cool station with the ring thing and I only noticed as I just arrived to accept my promotion to level 10 rep with them and my rep person died.

So does that person come back for me to get my promotion

How the bell do I deal with 6 xenon destroyers when I've only got my trust dragon?
Im.playing VRO if that matters.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Ok, so im.new to the series. Just got X4 and the split expansion after stumbling onto a let's play and really enjoying the look of the game.

I've installed a handful of mods because I couldn't help myself, but I have a don't issue.

Im about 8 hours into a game and the Xenon are loving stomping the Teladi. They just lot their cool station with the ring thing and I only noticed as I just arrived to accept my promotion to level 10 rep with them and my rep person died.

So does that person come back for me to get my promotion

How the bell do I deal with 6 xenon destroyers when I've only got my trust dragon?
Im.playing VRO if that matters.

You'll need to come back with a fleet of Destroyers or 40 Heavy Fighters with missiles and plasma cannons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VRO is trying to find a comfortable balance for the xenon but they do like to blow up the station in ianamus zura even in vanilla. To be honest I don't think it should have the teladi rep on it because it's a pain when it goes. Supposedly they should move the rep to somewhere else in the universe but I don't know how good at that they are.

Each universe is gonna be different though, sometimes the xenon get lucky and concentrate their forces where the enemy is weak and then you're struggling to fend them off, the universe is very dynamic like that, it can go all over the place, especially if you change stuff up with mods.

You can try the Faction Enhancer mod with the catchup module (use the latest beta build of X4 if you do, mods are a bit fucky with the 3.10 release) and that will give factions who are losing ground production bonuses and free stuff to help them out.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 25, 2020

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
VRO with the Faction Enhancer mods was the setup I used that caused the AI factions to crush the Xenon and invade their systems within 10 hours so be a little careful. It might be a 3.10 issue, don't rightly know.

I did have a game where the IZ trade station got blown up and their rep moved to the Teladi repair station no problem.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The Xenon always seem to give the Teladi a bad time - I've had to reclaim 3 of their systems for them. The other factions are holding the Xenon off well wish some pushes into their systems. It seems the Argon completely ignore Tharnaks Cascade now though. I remember in 1.0 they would send fleets through the HAT jumpgate but I've never ever seen them do it in 3.0 with dozens of hours of SETA running.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Thanks, I will have a look into that stuff.

Also, im building a station but I can't get hull parts delivered. Am I going to have to do the whole thing manually? My build keeps getting overlooked by the AI for some reason.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Thanks, I will have a look into that stuff.

Also, im building a station but I can't get hull parts delivered. Am I going to have to do the whole thing manually? My build keeps getting overlooked by the AI for some reason.

The AI will deliver it eventually - hull parts are super in demand in the economy so you're probably just not at the front of the queue to get them. If you assign a manager to the station and assign a M-class trading ship to the station as a Trader that ship will help get you goods faster than waiting for the AI.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Just make sure to assign it as a trader for the build storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is another good reason to start with a hull part factory cos you need them to make all the other stuff, ships, stations etc. And you can set it to keep a reserve that it won't sell to anyone.