Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Leal posted:

Lockpicking is now its own skill.
Are you playing the experimental? Because in the stable release it isn't and still comes from mechanics+dex and encumbrance

Telsa Cola posted:

If you have mechanics 1 (You can go around lockpicking doors to get to 1 unless they changed that)
Another way is to build around seven wooden frames and use them to build a one-tile vehicle each. Needs a lot of planks and nails though since you need mech 2 to remove the frame again

Also my new books sadly didn't do much for me. Went back into the police station with a heavy sledge to get into the sealed rooms. Got rewarded with two mp5s and around 100 rounds of ammo plus a bit of .223 and some misc stuff. Also found a rocket for the rpg-7 for some reason. I've left some electronic gun safes behind because I still have zero in computers and I'd rather not smash them with the sledge. There are a few interesting stores left in the town next to me so I'll try to loot those but then I think I have to move and scout the next town for a librabry/bookstore to seriously advance my position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

Drop a pile of them at your feet (with no other items in the same tile), shift-B to butcher/disassemble, and disassemble all

This post changed my life

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

By the way, did they ever fix the thing from 0.D where most gun attachments are useless because they increase the gun's volume, making the aim time longer because of it? Even in situations where the attachment should improve the weapon's handling/aiming? EG: foregrips or collimator sights.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

I'm currently fixing up a more serious vehicle to have room to stash lots of loot before I bring it back to base. I've chosen an ambulance with a 4,5l V8 engine. I wonder how much weight this vehicle can handle? And if it will burn more gas when having it stuffed with loot? Like I'm not looking for a battle-bus atm and will probably only put some steel plating on the front but any input about making such a "loot truck" properly is very welcome

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Tin Tim posted:

Are you playing the experimental? Because in the stable release it isn't and still comes from mechanics+dex and encumbrance

Another way is to build around seven wooden frames and use them to build a one-tile vehicle each. Needs a lot of planks and nails though since you need mech 2 to remove the frame again

Also my new books sadly didn't do much for me. Went back into the police station with a heavy sledge to get into the sealed rooms. Got rewarded with two mp5s and around 100 rounds of ammo plus a bit of .223 and some misc stuff. Also found a rocket for the rpg-7 for some reason. I've left some electronic gun safes behind because I still have zero in computers and I'd rather not smash them with the sledge. There are a few interesting stores left in the town next to me so I'll try to loot those but then I think I have to move and scout the next town for a librabry/bookstore to seriously advance my position

Don't neglect doctor's offices. Sometimes (at least in the 0.D release) they'll have autodocs and CBMs in similarly sealed rooms. Even the ones that don't are usually stocked with some otherwise rare meds or gear.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Tin Tim posted:

It's in experimental.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tin Tim posted:

I'm currently fixing up a more serious vehicle to have room to stash lots of loot before I bring it back to base. I've chosen an ambulance with a 4,5l V8 engine. I wonder how much weight this vehicle can handle? And if it will burn more gas when having it stuffed with loot? Like I'm not looking for a battle-bus atm and will probably only put some steel plating on the front but any input about making such a "loot truck" properly is very welcome

It'll be fine. V8s are pretty beefy and most of the time you aren't going to be moving at high speed anyway since cities are full of obstacles and driving at 60 MPH into unexplored territory is a great way to get ventilated by a military roadblock.

As long as it has enough storage and (WillMove() == Yes) you're fine.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 25, 2020

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
For a non-battlebus I think what you want is something with electric engines and some way to charge them, like a solar powered car or an atomic vehicle, so that it doesn't make too much noise.

The general problem with vehicles is that they're loud, so if you're not ready to fight with/in one then you'd need to park it some distance away.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the info :wave:

Carcer posted:

The general problem with vehicles is that they're loud, so if you're not ready to fight with/in one then you'd need to park it some distance away.
Eh that's fine for what I'm doing right now. I'm using my electric car for general travel/scouting and then bring the loot truck near to locations that I want to loot from

What are some pro tips for keeping your char fed in a healthy and sustainable manner? Currently I'm leaning on pemmican for meat+veg and supplement it with some fruits or vitamins every so often. But it seems like I'm eating a little bit too often as my guy has gotten overweight twice by now

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I forget, does reading books use up focus or is that just for "on the job" learning?

I find myself wondering what to do when trying to rebuild focus during these early learning periods leveling up stuff like survival, fabrication, and tailoring to levels 2-3.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Books use focus, but a lot of low level skill books will have a joy bonus for reading which can offset the drain.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Does anyone else get a json error with Arcana when starting a new world? I'm using the launcher with latest experimental.

The json file it's complaining about is martialarts.json, specifically this line:

code:
 DEBUG    : Error: data/mods//Arcana/martialarts.json: line 89:27: tried to start object, but found '[', not '{'

"max_stacks": 1,
        "bonus_dodges": 2,
        "flat_bonuses": [ [
                          ^
                            "dodge", 1.0 ] ]
      },
      {

FUNCTION : bool main_menu::new_character_tab()
 FILE     : src/main_menu.cpp
 LINE     : 820
I examined the json file myself and it looks just fine - I even ran it through a json validator to make sure and no problems flagged up.

Does Arcana interfere/get interfered with other martial arts mods?

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

wrt books, it used to be the case that reading at low levels was the way to go (pretty much mandatory for mechanics until people discovered the pipe repair trick), but now it's much faster to craft. this is out of date but still mostly applicable: https://old.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/a6j97o/skill_training_guide_a_minimalists_skill_training/

for mechanics you can now remove and reinstall wheels a few times to get the first level. computers is the only skill you pretty much need to read to level.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just have no idea how to stay productive when my focus is down near ~30ish and I want it to rebuild to ~75ish.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

it will take a while to recover from 30 regardless, but in general you want to stack as many morale bonuses as possible to keep the target up. mp3 player/smartphone is always good, as well as drugs, coffee, and pleasant foods. some high level books will drag it down no matter what, but you should be able to maintain ~70 focus or so crafting or reading low level books.

if it always seems to be low, its probably because you haven't disabled the driving skill. that will tank it like nothing else.

(in case you weren't aware, you can check the current focus trend target by pressing 'v')

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Magiclysm question if anyone happens to know but is there a big benefit to making a vehicle out of Orichalcum? I found a pretty intact security van built on a frame of the stuff and I don't really know what it's used for.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

PiCroft posted:

Does anyone else get a json error with Arcana when starting a new world? I'm using the launcher with latest experimental.

The json file it's complaining about is martialarts.json, specifically this line:

code:
 DEBUG    : Error: data/mods//Arcana/martialarts.json: line 89:27: tried to start object, but found '[', not '{'

"max_stacks": 1,
        "bonus_dodges": 2,
        "flat_bonuses": [ [
                          ^
                            "dodge", 1.0 ] ]
      },
      {

FUNCTION : bool main_menu::new_character_tab()
 FILE     : src/main_menu.cpp
 LINE     : 820
I examined the json file myself and it looks just fine - I even ran it through a json validator to make sure and no problems flagged up.

Does Arcana interfere/get interfered with other martial arts mods?

At some point they updated the format of martial arts/techniques and it breaks a lot of older mods. It's perfectly fine json, just not what their parser is looking for. Going off the new jsons for MA that line should read:
code:
"flat_bonuses": [ { "stat": "dodge", "scale": 1.0 } ]
IDK why they changed it; that's not what scale means.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are there any recommended mods for easier ammo access? I'm not having any luck finding. 223 for my M4A1.

I see the appeal of the generic gun mod now tbh!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Are there any recommended mods for easier ammo access? I'm not having any luck finding. 223 for my M4A1.

I see the appeal of the generic gun mod now tbh!

Find a turret and kill it. They have over 1500 shots.
Zombie soldiers also have 10-20 rounds each, or ~100 if they have a SAW.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cool I'll look for a turret then. One should be enough for forever.

Amy recommendation on where they are likely to spawn?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Military bunkers/bases and science labs. If you can get ahold of a grenade (and got like 2 or 3 throwing skill), you can peek around a corner and toss the grenade in and sprint off.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Man looting in summer is kind of a pain. My dude is already unhappy because he's constantly warm in his gear and once I put on a backpack to carry loot he quickly goes into very hot and suffers some pain. Like yes I understand why that would happen in reality but it's actively unfun to play with in a video game. Same goes for the vitamin component of the nutrition system. Now I have to keep up with taking my vitamins to combat the vitamin-a deficit and I dunno that's just needles busywork to me. I guess what I want out of the game is too casual for its direction :shrug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oh don't go taking too many vitamins now. The devs got mad that people were using vitamins instead of diversifying food and put in a disease for taking too many multivitamins.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks but I'm aware as the text for vitamins mentions that. I'm mostly annoyed that I got a deficit in the first place as I was trying to keep up with taking one vitamin a day already but apparently that's not good enough

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I don't think vitamin deficiencies actually do anything right now?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

E: You might be right. My nightvision penalty came from my gasmask and I somehow never noticed it before. My bad

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 26, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Who the gently caress thought it would be a good idea to surround refugee centers with ten thousand bushes?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Tin Tim posted:

Man looting in summer is kind of a pain. My dude is already unhappy because he's constantly warm in his gear and once I put on a backpack to carry loot he quickly goes into very hot and suffers some pain. Like yes I understand why that would happen in reality but it's actively unfun to play with in a video game. Same goes for the vitamin component of the nutrition system. Now I have to keep up with taking my vitamins to combat the vitamin-a deficit and I dunno that's just needles busywork to me. I guess what I want out of the game is too casual for its direction :shrug:

It's also unrealistic bullshit anyway because the deficiencies kick in way faster than they do in real life

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I need to get a suppressor for my M4A1. Im drawing way too many wanderers.

Also if I find a wrench, I can disassemble stuff like washing machines etc for rubber tubes right? Need one to fuel up my stolen dirtbike.

What kind of personal storage are you guys at? I have 19 liters worth but am generally in the 15 liter area for personal equipment. I should probably store stuff on my vehicle.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You can disassemble furniture (constructed tiles) with a hammer and a screwdriver. If you don’t have those, you can smash 1 or 2 refrigerators to get a rubber hose.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I know I've griped about it before, but I might actually consider playing with vitamins on if having a balanced diet gave your character a few mild bonuses instead of adding debuffs.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

As it stands vitamin deficiency, overweight, and underweight have no effects whatsoever. (And if you're playing 0.E stable, melee weapon +chance to hit has no effect whatsoever :henget:)

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 26, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Palcontent posted:

As it stands vitamin deficiency, overweight, and underweight have no effects whatsoever. (And if you're playing 0.E stable, melee weapon +chance to hit has no effect whatsoever :henget:)

So does that mean the XXXL and XXXS weight traits are just free points?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I thought over/underweight tanked your hidden health stat.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

The levels are skeletal - emaciated - underweight - normal - overweight - obese -very obese - morbidly obese

I'm not sure when you start to get negative effects, but I'm fairly certain that underweight/normal/overweight have no effects.

e: to be clear, the extremes do damage your health stat and stamina.

Palcontent fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 26, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Oh I misunderstood what you were saying and yeah, I remember reading something similar about the not-so-bad levels.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay I'm hauling some enhanced electric engines out of lab, found them in a atomic sports car. Is there a benefit to having two engines in one car like that?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

In absolute numbers, yes. Each of those engines has roughly the same power as a V12 so you can go stupid fast in just about anything. In real terms, you’re not going to take your 40k pound death mobile out for a 150mph drive, so not really. I usually go with 1x V8/V12 gasoline and 1x enhanced electric and switch between the two.

E: There is a falloff with 2x active engines but I think it’s somewhere in the range of 90% power out of the second one so it’s not too bad. And don’t bother with 3 engines, it requires something stupid like mechanics 12 or 13 which you’ll probably never get unless you spend weeks installing/removing parts.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 26, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay cool, I never really committed to the rolling death fortress thing, just an armored car with some cargo space does it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

A fully armored and loaded down 5x10 vehicle (security/SWAT vans are 5x8) with HD frames, a bunch of tanks/heavy storage batteries, and full cargo carriers gets close to 40k lbs, which is why I used it as an example! :v: ...it’s also why I know that one of those is enough. It might be worth keeping the 2nd one if you have the cargo space, you need superalloy sheets to repair them which are basically unobtanium.