Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

fit em all up in there posted:

Are the Danganronpa games good or should I just read the let’s plays ?

I’d never played any PW games and I don’t watch anime ever (except for like, watching Berserk 1997 and the movies cause I like Dark Souls, and Akira... and ghibli movies growing up, etc), and I loved the first two and have just been waiting for the third to go on sale for a bit cheaper. They’re definitely funny in a strange and pretty dark way and feel like Nintendo 64 games in a good way, just visually, they have a unique style that’s probably due to the budget and I think they were PSP games first. But my friend who also doesn’t watch anime but likes Phoenix Wright loved them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well FFVIIR has stalled for me because I loving refuse to let Jules beat me at pull-ups. I had him dead to rights once, then my thumb loving brushed the touchpad and threw my place off :cripes:.

i beat all three pull-up challenges on my first try, and i think the trick is to stop looking at the screen after the prompts fade. just watch your thumb on the controller. the lack of visual stimulus means that you're way less likely to screw up the pattern

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

exquisite tea posted:

The Control DLC boss fights are good, and easy to win!

I suck at shooters, and the Formation DLC was stupid hard imo, and I beat the final boss, and I think every other boss first try. I actually want to play it again because I beat it in like less than 24 hours after it was released. The key to the last boss is to use the new abilities.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

i beat all three pull-up challenges on my first try, and i think the trick is to stop looking at the screen after the prompts fade. just watch your thumb on the controller. the lack of visual stimulus means that you're way less likely to screw up the pattern

Oh yeah I know how to do it on paper, it's just one those things that being frustrated at a failed attempt makes subsequent ones go worse, and I need to go do something else for an hour or two.

The trick is the first button-mash one for each round, because if you play safe til then, you'll know if you're good to go to pick up the pace to full-speed. The problem is if you gently caress up ONCE in the second round at any point you will never catch up to Jules.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I kept failing the pull-up challenge because the mash X button prompt actually comes out before the second-to-last one in the sequence, so if you're just pounding it on react you'll slip up every time.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The exploit worked by using characters the PS4 didn't recognise. The console shits itself trying to read them and could really your machine, as when it reboots that message is loaded into active memory again and whoops.

so it's just purely malevolent attack with no other purpose? drat

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

veni veni veni posted:

Definitely not too bummed that I didn't get the Control DLC if it's full of more of the terrible boss fights from the main game.

It’s not!! It’s great, it’s more Control. However, it’s maybe a little too good and just made me wish the AWE expansion was out already, but I feel like you’d enjoy it, since you didn’t seem to absolutely love everything about it like I did, which is why I basically played the whole thing in one sitting.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hey so if i want to play a Yakuza game, where do I start off? Yakuza 0?

If I like it, which ones do I get or avoid?

0 for sure, or Judgment. Judgment has different characters and you’re a detective, not a Yakuza guy, or former Yakuza, but Judgment is basically a Yakuza spin off game and takes place in Kamurocho.. I feel like Judgment was a bit easier to get into because Yakuza 0 took me a little longer, but I think I enjoyed both equally, maybe 0 has the slight edge cause Majima.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Y0 is the best to start for story, but the thing to remember is that it’s also the pinnacle of the Y0 gameplay systems. Every goddamn activity and side quest is somewhere in there, and the truck is to ignore the ones you don’t like, and use a guide for pocket racer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got one of those messages once and didn't know what to make of it. PS4 didn't crash, though.

If you're having trouble with the super long jumps late in Eternal, make sure to turn off the advanced air control rune, you might be unconsciously pushing yourself off the intended trajectory.

Escobarbarian posted:

I feel bad that I keep giving up on the Control DLC bosses but I’m just not in the frame of mind to throw myself at them over and over like I was when the base game came out. I mean I still haven’t even actually made it to the boss on the train track side quest and that one is fun as hell!

This sequence was made easier by the most recent patch, try again!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The first Yakuza game you play is the best Yakuza game you'll play (especially if it's Y0).

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Fix posted:

The first Yakuza game you play is the best Yakuza game you'll play (especially if it's Y0).

Y4 was my first, and although it was great, 0 is still my absolute favorite.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fix posted:

Yakuza 1 PS2 is nowhere near the best.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I thought I hated the series when I tried getting into 4 and 5 back in the day but 0 made me a Yakuza fanboy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Frog Act posted:

Weird - but why would someone target me with this in such specifically strange language? I don't have any friends on ps+ and I've never played any online multiplayer except for maybe one or two summons in Bloodborne

its just spam, your psn info is online at some trophy tracking website that a bot is scrubbing through. i dont think this is the corruption attack, sometimes you just get bot like behavior trying to get you to respond so they can throw you a link or something. sometimes its just a bot set for poo poo and giggles.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Fix posted:

i get what you are saying but lol no way. 0 is the best, flat out.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

Or just go slow and dont press a button unless you’re certain because the NPC is gonna fall down.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

How is that Fist of the North Star game the Yakuza guys made? It's half off right now and I'm thinking about picking it up.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Is that new Predator game any good?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is that new Predator game any good?

No idea about the released version but the Beta had major performance issues.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Crowetron posted:

How is that Fist of the North Star game the Yakuza guys made? It's half off right now and I'm thinking about picking it up.

I think it's alright. It's very much a spinoff game and it doesn't get to lean on 15 years of Yakuza as a crutch as well as some of their other games, so there's some weird jank to it but as a Fist of the North Star game it's probably the best one ever made. The plot is a weird kitbash of all-new content and the original story converging on a single post-apocalyptic Kamurocho style locale and it doesn't always work, and the combat has a bunch of QTE HEAT moves like button mashing for the 100 Rending Fists ATATATA stuff so your mileage may vary on that. It has a bunch of the classic Yakuza humor going for it (a lot of it playing off Kenshiro being the stoic apocalypse journeyman) and it does a decent enough job of introducing a number of the original characters and storylines but it's blatantly unfinished at points (i.e. there's an open world buggy driving mechanic and half the world is never explored in storyline).

Out of the PS4 Yakuzas, I'd put it over Kiwami 1 in a heartbeat.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Helpful stuff

Thanks. I figured it had to be at least a little janky since I never see Yakuza fans talk about it, but it sounds like I'll get twenty bucks worth out of it.

I think Fist of the North Star is one case where I actually want more button mashy QTEs, so that sounds good, too.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Crowetron posted:

Thanks. I figured it had to be at least a little janky since I never see Yakuza fans talk about it, but it sounds like I'll get twenty bucks worth out of it.

I think Fist of the North Star is one case where I actually want more button mashy QTEs, so that sounds good, too.

Its a little B tier, but you'll definitely get your twenty bucks worth out of it. I paid full price when it was released and didnt regret it. I'm not even a particular fan of FotNS (I saw the anime like 25 years ago and liked it fine, and thats pretty much my entire exposure to it). The hostess club management minigame isnt up to the standards of the one in Zero and Kiwami 2, but miles ahead of the one in 3 and 4. As Policenaut said, the buggy stuff is... Somehow both weirdly deep and obviously unfinished. Theres a whole bunch of customisation stuff, and a substantial world map to drive about it, but there is no reason for about 75% of the world map to exist outside of grinding and gathering crafting materials (which are mainly used to upgrade the buggy to access other portions of the map to get more materials to customise the buggy).

Main story is fun enough, the side stories are up to the usual Yakuza standards, the fighting is fun, and you can beat people do death with their own speech bubbles. For $20 you cant argue with that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yakuza 0 and Judgement are top tier entries for newbies, to give them a 'sampling' of the series style. (At like 30-40+ hours each :v:)
Yak0 is easily one of my favourite games of all time.

It surprised me just how much I ended up liking Judgement. Like I knew it was going to be 'good', but it's really loving great. I thought it was going to be Yakuza-Lite, but it's very much it's own thing and I really hope it gets a sequel. It's great not having to know 7 games worth of lore as well, as it's a stand-alone game not directly related to anything in the main Yakuza series.
Apparently it did super well in the West, which is always a positive!

:siren: Yakuza Collection is currently on sale for the first time ever :siren:
I am very much considering picking it up instead of the Frosthaven Kickstarter.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 25, 2020

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Yakuza 0 and Judgement are top tier entries for newbies, to give them a 'sampling' of the series style. (At like 30-40+ hours each :v:)
Yak0 is easily one of my favourite games of all time.

It surprised me just how much I ended up liking Judgement. Like I knew it was going to be 'good', but it's really loving great. I thought it was going to be Yakuza-Lite, but it's very much it's own thing and I really hope it gets a sequel. It's great not having to know 7 games worth of lore as well, as it's a stand-alone game not directly related to anything in the main Yakuza series.
Apparently it did super well in the West, which is always a positive!

:siren: Yakuza Collection is currently on sale for the first time ever :siren:
I am very much considering picking it up instead of the Frosthaven Kickstarter.

do it already, 3-5 are great in their own ways and then you play 6 which is fantastic.

you might need tissues tho. each one hits emotional highs.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Frog Act posted:

So does anyone else constantly get these like really bizarre messages on PS+ from random accounts? I keep getting them, and like, they’re about random baffling things - the one this morning was about kidnapping a girl - and most of the letters have accents or umlauts. It’s kind of unnerving

Set your account to allow messages from friends only. A few years ago PSN spam was absurd and I was getting 40 messages a day of that poo poo. Made that change and haven't gotten a single one since.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I restarted Persona 5 Royal twice because the name I picked for my guy ended up being names picked for the first two major characters you meet. Awkward as hell.
My tolerance for anime is pretty goddamn low, but the presentation is slick as hell and the modern setting really adds something to a nice jrpg turn-based game. I dig it.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I can understand why people like Yakuza but I cant understand why people like it so much

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People love poo poo that’s wacky

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fridge corn posted:

I can understand why people like Yakuza but I cant understand why people like it so much

It just does what it does really well. Each game is just a massive world to explore, with every aspect of it lovingly crafted.

They're also excellent time capsules, and give different peeks into different eras of the same cities.

Plus you get to beat the snot out of people with motorcycles

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
Yakuza 3 was my first one and it still holds a special place in my heart, even though I've read that some people think it's one of the worst? I liked the orphanage story aspect of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

the Paper posted:

Yakuza 3 was my first one and it still holds a special place in my heart, even though I've read that some people think it's one of the worst? I liked the orphanage story aspect of it.

every entry has its ups and downs, except 0, which is perfect, and kiwami 2, which is perfecter

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Infinitum posted:

It just does what it does really well. Each game is just a massive world to explore, with every aspect of it lovingly crafted.

They're also excellent time capsules, and give different peeks into different eras of the same cities.

Plus you get to beat the snot out of people with motorcycles

For me the stories as much as the gameplay (although the gameplay with the ridiculous variety of side activities you can engage with (or not) does mean that theres always something to do which helps). The over the top soap yakuza soap opera melodrama of the main stories juxtaposed with the lighthearted silliness of many of the side stories just works for me. Hell, even within the side stories there is real variety in tone. Which should be jarring tonal whiplash as you move from "Story about man who thinks he is a superhero powered by delicious curry" straight into "Story about woman who is in denial that her fiance has died young of cancer", but somehow works. Especially with the character of Kiryu who is basically an all round good egg (and at times he can be endearingly thick). And playing them all you get to know Kamurocho really well, and see how it changes over time. I'm not even kidding when I say I have a favourite restaurant in this fictionalized version of Tokyo.

Plus you get to beat the snot out of people with motorcycles.

the Paper posted:

I've played almost all of them (I'm only about an hour in to 5, and havent played 7) and I liked 3. For my money the weakest of the main yakuza games has been 4, I felt the main story wasnt that strong, and the way it was split up across the characters didnt help the pacing of it at all. Still enjoyed it, but if I had to pick a weak link its definitely 4. 3 had a comparatively strong story and some really likeable side characters.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I wish I didn’t apparently burn out on FF7R like 15 hours in? I don’t get it really, I was absolutely falling over myself with praise at the start but I’m finding it hard to care about anything going on + the gameplay outside of the extremely fun combat is just... dull or tedious. There isn’t much about it grabbing me at the moment and I feel like I’m forcing it. I don’t think that there was a fall off in quality really, maybe the honeymoon period was just real strong after my Doom Eternal New Game Letdown. And now y’all are talking about Yakuza so I get to think about how all this Wall Market stuff just makes me want to go play Kiwami 1 more :cheeky:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Firstborn posted:

I restarted Persona 5 Royal twice because the name I picked for my guy ended up being names picked for the first two major characters you meet. Awkward as hell.
My tolerance for anime is pretty goddamn low, but the presentation is slick as hell and the modern setting really adds something to a nice jrpg turn-based game. I dig it.

Outside of video games, I use to avoid anime like the plague. Persona 4 Golden opened up the floodgates though for some reason. I remember playing Lunar 2 when I was younger, and the animated cutscenes were some of my favorite things to see.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

fridge corn posted:

It mixes very well produced crime drama with slice of life activities and humorous side content that juxtaposes well with the seriousness of the story. The combat is satisfying because of the flashy heat moves.

There’s also nothing else like it on the market.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They're good stories

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish I didn’t apparently burn out on FF7R like 15 hours in? I don’t get it really, I was absolutely falling over myself with praise at the start but I’m finding it hard to care about anything going on + the gameplay outside of the extremely fun combat is just... dull or tedious. There isn’t much about it grabbing me at the moment and I feel like I’m forcing it. I don’t think that there was a fall off in quality really, maybe the honeymoon period was just real strong after my Doom Eternal New Game Letdown. And now y’all are talking about Yakuza so I get to think about how all this Wall Market stuff just makes me want to go play Kiwami 1 more :cheeky:

Do more Wall Market and then get back to us.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeahhhh it's maybe not the best game to binge. For all its modernization the structure is very much traditional JRPG. Navigating dungeons is mostly rote -- go forward toward objective, find switch when blocked, when the path forks hit dead ends for loot, wake back up when a fight starts. At least dungeons are usually cool looking environments, though. I have mixed feelings about Wall Market overall: as fun and loopy as it is, Don Corneo is one big diversion from the plot that I actually care about, and the dungeon is just an ugly unremarkable sewer. I will say that there's still a ton of cool stuff ahead of you that's worth pushing toward. The raid on Shinra tower is maybe overlong, I'm still running through it, but everything looks gorgeous, there's plenty of combat, and the plot is finally picking back up. It's weird that the game waits until this late to introduce most of the Shinra execs that are supposed to be my antagonists, but at least the train is moving again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean that describes most games.

I mean Doom is literally enter Arena kill thing go to next arena.

Games changing up is. Pretty rare and honestly usually bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that describes most games.

I mean Doom is literally enter Arena kill thing go to next arena.

Games changing up is. Pretty rare and honestly usually bad

"Kill thing" isn't something you mindlessly do by rote in Doom. FF7R's dungeons are really standard classic FF dungeons that I basically need two active brain cells to navigate.