Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Torrannor posted:

The issue is that your characters basically can only use basic attacks until they get their first class change. Some characters, namely Angela and Charlotte, get them sooner, when you get mana spirits. Unfortunately, you get your first spirit at the very end of the demo, so the gameplay is not that representative of the later game. You could watch this very good 10 minute review, where the reviewer purposefully earned all achievements in the game before doing the review, so they definitely know what they're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0AEZby1mug

will watch, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

The issue is that your characters basically can only use basic attacks until they get their first class change. Some characters, namely Angela and Charlotte, get them sooner, when you get mana spirits. Unfortunately, you get your first spirit at the very end of the demo, so the gameplay is not that representative of the later game. You could watch this very good 10 minute review, where the reviewer purposefully earned all achievements in the game before doing the review, so they definitely know what they're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0AEZby1mug

I do think it's important to give a 'fair shake' to a game before you do a review, but I also think that going platinum before a review is... a pretty bad idea? A lot of time the grinding needed for platinum is not part of a natural playthrough, and it will change how the reviewer thinks of the game too.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nothing new compared to the demo but the English voice acting is pretty drat bad. Not endearing-bad, bad-bad. Angela and maybe Hawkeye are about the only two characters that are at all pleasant to listen to.

It feels like the voice actors were given an alphabetized list of voice lines and a few hours in a recording booth and told to get on with it. The opening narrator in particular absolutely drips with contempt for her role.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Reached the Lv. 50 benchmark. Thought I'd look into the stats of my characters at the moment:

Lv. 50 Star Lancer Riesz Stats

HP: 835
MP: 103
Strength: 103+40=143
Stamina: 103+40=143
Intellect: 99+20=119
Spirit: 106+20=126
Luck: 116+20=136

Stargazer: +93 ATK, +88 MGC ATK

Stardust Helm: +23 DEF, +14 MGC DEF
Polaris Armor: +57 DEF, +54 MGC DEF
Draupnir: +16 DEF, +26 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +96 DEF, +94 MGC DEF

Total Possible ATK, DEF, MGC ATK, MGC DEF

ATK: 143+93=236
DEF: 143+96=239
MGC ATK: 119+88=207
MGC DEF: 126+94=220

Lv. 50 Ninja Master Hawkeye Stats

HP: 835
MP: 89
Strength: 103+40=143
Stamina: 96+20=116
Intellect: 113+20=133
Spirit: 103+40=143
Luck: 126+20=146

Terralex Dirk: +100 ATK, +98 MGC ATK

Stealth Hood: +22 DEF, +13 MGC DEF
Sneaky Vest: +52 DEF, +51 MGC DEF
Stealth Charm: +15 DEF, +24 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +89 DEF, +88 MGC DEF

ATK: 143+100=243
DEF: 116+89=205
MGC ATK: 133+98=231
MGC DEF: 143+88=231

Lv. 50 Necromancer Charlotte Stats

HP: 776+20=796
MP: 116+20=136
Strength: 123+20=143
Stamina: 86+20=106
Intellect: 99+20=119
Spirit: 116+20=136
Luck: 96+20=116

Slayer Mace: +94 ATK, +99 MGC ATK

Undead Bow: +20 DEF, +17 MGC DEF
Undead Suit: +45 DEF, +63 MGC DEF
Black Onyx: +13 DEF, +33 MGC DEF

Total Armor Bonuses: +78 DEF, +113 MGC DEF

ATK: 143+94=237
DEF: 106+78=184
MGC ATK: 119+99=218
MGC DEF: 136+113=249

There's quite a few surprises here, and some that aren't. Star Lancer Riesz for example will never have as high Intellect or bonuses to MGC ATK as Ninja Master Hawkeye and Necromancer Charlotte. Hawkeye gets quite the caster stats as a Ninja Master, and while Strength has lots of bonuses in it's Stat Training to allow him to catch up physically, his MGC DEF will be better than his DEF thanks to Ninja Master's bonuses giving him an average C stat on top of Stat Training letting him surpass Necromancer Charlotte (which is a surprise, though not a big one considering that Charlotte's stat training gives her more HP and MP in exchange for not raising her stats as much). Necromancer Charlotte gets extremely high physical attack at a big cost to Intellect (putting her base MGC ATK without equipment bonuses on par with Riesz) which was a surprise. It makes Necromancer Charlotte a much more capable physical combatant, though with Charlotte getting the same chaincast ability as Hawkeye (except it's for summons) as her Necromancer passive and access to Dark Curse, the loss in magic attack power is more than made up for.

In general, I find this a very well-rounded party, aside from two characters seeming to have a problem with taking physical hits. Star Lancer Riesz however really suffers from wanting points into every single stat. Spirit and Intellect has her spells, Luck has some very nice abilities once you cross into the Star Lancer threshold, and Strength and Stamina has the more important stat bonuses.

Oh, and if Riesz's equipment names sound familiar to you, that's the equipment the guy on the Fiegmund Showcase was using for Riesz. So as you can see, Easy Mode + Ultimate class equipment really screwed the power balance there.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 25, 2020

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

went with duran angela and reisz for my first run. was thinking of going paladin with duran but after the wall face boss and bill & ben im leaning towards lord cause bosses are starting to hit hard and multiheals might come in handy. went dark with reisz cause stat downs seem simpler and as for angela i dunno i went light i never really used her in the original cause i didnt like sitting through long spell animations.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

Nothing new compared to the demo but the English voice acting is pretty drat bad. Not endearing-bad, bad-bad. Angela and maybe Hawkeye are about the only two characters that are at all pleasant to listen to.

It feels like the voice actors were given an alphabetized list of voice lines and a few hours in a recording booth and told to get on with it. The opening narrator in particular absolutely drips with contempt for her role.

I finished the game earlier* and the voice director was also the sole translator. I didn't recognize most of the English voice actors during the credits.

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,949761/

*Took about 20 hours entirely on Hard difficulty. Trying to collect my thoughts on the difficulty on how it could be improved and just general tips for a later post

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 25, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Honestly after having played the game and nearly reaching its halfway point I'm glad that if they had to spend their budget on something it was the gameplay loop, world design, and modeling.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I seem to be stuck pretty early into the game on PS4

Reisz/Hawkeye/Angela party...

I just left, uhh, Free City Maia I think? And I went down Golden Road and through some caves. At the end of the caves there's a bridge.When I walk on the bridge, I'm assaulted by some wizards that want to kill Angela. They bring in a Machine Golem, or two Machine Golems or something to capture me, which starts a fight on the bridge against two enemies named "Machine Golem R" - but the enemy's model never loads, so they're just invisible, unmoving entities that I can lock onto and attack. If I deplete their HP then a little circling confusion sort of effect spins around them, but the battle doesn't end when they die.

I've tried closing and reopening the game but the same thing happens - anyone else run into this?

Edit: The solution was watching through the entire cutscene without pressing X to progress through the dialog

I've been playing with Character Voices muted because I really don't like the voice acting but dig the game a lot otherwise! This makes cutscenes awkward because pressing x doesn't just progress past the current line of dialog, it progresses all the way to the next one, so I end up skipping over a lot of parts of cutscenes and having to figure out what happened afterward, and presumably leading to more issues like this where skipping dialog in a cutscene could make something else fail to load

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 25, 2020

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Looking at IMDb, out of the playable characters only Hawkeye's VA has any real experience, others are total nobodies. This obviously isn't automatically a bad thing (just look at Briana White/Aerith in FF7R), but judging by the demo it is here

Also speaking of FF7R, Hawkeye is Jules

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been playing with Character Voices muted because I really don't like the voice acting but dig the game a lot otherwise! This makes cutscenes awkward because pressing x doesn't just progress past the current line of dialog, it progresses all the way to the next one, so I end up skipping over a lot of parts of cutscenes and having to figure out what happened afterward, and presumably leading to more issues like this where skipping dialog in a cutscene could make something else fail to load

Set the text speed to instant and that fixes the issue with regards to missing bits of dialogue.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I do have it set to instant, it's not dialog that I miss from skipping forward but the actions that happens between it. If Character A is talking, then there's an explosion, then character B says something, pressing X during Character A's line skips past the explosion and right to what Character B is saying.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Honestly, 90% of my enthusiasm for this game comes from the fact that I never, ever expected to see:

-a western release of SD3
-a remake of SD3
-a remake this extensive of SD3

I'm really enjoying it, but I can understand people bouncing off of it if they weren't part of its cult following back in the 00s.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly, 90% of my enthusiasm for this game comes from the fact that I never, ever expected to see:

-a remake of SD3

I'm really enjoying it, but I can understand people bouncing off of it if they weren't part of its cult following back in the 00s.

:same:

Also (and this might just be me here) I have a high tolerance for uneven voice acting so I'm taking in the spirit of late 90's anime. Which it basically is.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Folt The Bolt posted:

Necromancer Charlotte gets extremely high physical attack at a big cost to Intellect (putting her base MGC ATK without equipment bonuses on par with Riesz) which was a surprise. It makes Necromancer Charlotte a much more capable physical combatant, though with Charlotte getting the same chaincast ability as Hawkeye (except it's for summons) as her Necromancer passive and access to Dark Curse, the loss in magic attack power is more than made up for.

somebody earlier in the thread said summon spells scale with spirit instead of int.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I'm bad enough at sound stuff I didn't even notice the VA was bad, especially given that no voice stands out as "really bad" to me.

Anyway, there is no lil'catcus in ghost ship and exploding island right?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

the ghost ship boss was rough. the spinning attack is prettymuch a oneshot if you get caught badly. i was tossing out tons of items and spamming the gently caress out of holy bolt.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Has anyone else run into issues with ??? seeds only giving items for one class? I'm three Benevedons in and all of my seeds have been for Reisz. Which, sure, Star Lancer was a real nice boost, but I'd love to get Hawkeye and Charlotte up and running.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arkeus posted:

Anyway, there is no lil'catcus in ghost ship and exploding island right?

I wasn't able to find it there, I'm assuming that it doesn't appear in places that you can't revisit.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I can't believe this game has only been out a day and people are already in their 2nd class change. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for some kind soul from the internet to provide a skills breakdown.

For those of you grinding this game, are you finding the remake classes have the same general utility as in the original? Like light Charlotte has sabres while dark Charlotte has summons & stat downs, things like that. Any notable changes or surprises?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

sudonim posted:

I can't believe this game has only been out a day and people are already in their 2nd class change. Meanwhile I'm still waiting for some kind soul from the internet to provide a skills breakdown.

For those of you grinding this game, are you finding the remake classes have the same general utility as in the original? Like light Charlotte has sabres while dark Charlotte has summons & stat downs, things like that. Any notable changes or surprises?

can't speak for charlotte but i'm running hawkeye/riesz/duran and they all match up to their original roles--ninja gets damage/debuff spells, valkyrie gets buff spells, and knight gets shields and heal light.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

-a remake of SD3

I like it a lot so far, but it's a tough recommend to people who haven't played the original, and not that many people played the original given that it required an emulator and a patched ROM. It's really a Japan-oriented release that S-E was nice enough to throw in an English translation for.

I hope it posts decent sales figures at least. The original has a special place in my heart.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

So this was a great nostalgia trip, SD3 was one of my favourite rpgs of all time and the remake hit all it's sweet spots. I definitely minmaxed a lot more than 13 year old me did though and the last boss of the hawk story didn't know what hit it.

This team feels a bit overpowered and the rainbow seed gear is ridiculously strong (sidenote: they fixed save/reload fishing with seeds).

Tricky posted:

Has anyone else run into issues with ??? seeds only giving items for one class? I'm three Benevedons in and all of my seeds have been for Reisz. Which, sure, Star Lancer was a real nice boost, but I'd love to get Hawkeye and Charlotte up and running.

I had the same issue, got lucky with Nightblade item as my first then 3 paladin items in a row. The ??? seed drop rate really picked up after benevodon #4 and suddenly I had an excess of all of them. Not sure if it was from level, seed box level or just the natural progression.

Chrodyn fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 25, 2020

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

I hope it posts decent sales figures at least. The original has a special place in my heart.

I'd be surprised if it didn't make its budget back. It feels like an ambitious and well-executed Kickstarter game, honestly; I can't imagine more than, like, $5-6 million went into it.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Tricky posted:

I grabbed 6 ??? Seeds before planting any of them. For me, each gave a unique class item, 2 for each character/1 for each branch, when planted at once. There is 1 guaranteed static chest in each of the Benevodon dungeons that contains a ??? Seed so you can get 6 without relying for monster drops. I ran through those dungeons without fighting anything until I found enough of those chests then magic roped out to class change everyone at once. It helps to have Lil Cactus leveled up far enough to be able to spot treasure chests on your minimap and having increased escape times.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

sudonim posted:

I’m still only a little ways in after the first class change, but it seems like techniques and spells are mostly the same (e.g. rangers level 2 technique is AoE while ninja’s is single target and they both do about the same amount of damage). But the power, function and utility of some spells are different, the stat differences between classes has changed and skill trees are much more complex and have a lot of pretty important, game-changing passives.

For example, in the original, Riesz’s light classes had better attack than dark while Hawkeye’s Dark classes had better attack than light. That’s now exactly the opposite (at least after the first class change). Rune maiden gets slightly higher strength than valkyrie while ranger gets a decent chunk more than ninja. Rangers traps were completely worthless in the original, but do solid damage now, at least right after unlocking them.

So far, I would suspect that most classes will be fairly similar, but it’s possible one class could be built in more than one direction now, and I wouldn’t be surprised if certain classes, and especially certain team compositions, ended up playing radically differently.

On another topic, I just beat Zehnoa (sp? the big furnace) and it was a complete motherfucker. I barely scraped by on hard and ended up using all of my cups of wishes and quite a few fairy walnuts. So far the first legitimately hard fight, though I certainly wasn’t able to sleep through the next one.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Combat is a lot more frantic than it was in the demo, mostly on account of having two AI goobers to track at all times instead of one. It does push you to switch between player-controlled characters frequently a la FF7R, but it's much more fluid: the switch animation is instant, and switching to the correct character is much easier since your currently-selected character is the center portrait of a horizontal row instead of being the bottom line in a vertical column. That's a change I really appreciate: much better than the original where the three characters' status boxes were as far apart as possible.

I usually switch to whichever character is currently getting their poo poo pushed in at any given time, or failing that to somebody who needs to get their CS gauge built up with a bunch of charged attacks. It works decently enough although the character who is usually in trouble tends to be Angela, and she's pretty boring to control directly.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Chrodyn posted:

So this was a great nostalgia trip, SD3 was one of my favourite rpgs of all time and the remake hit all it's sweet spots. I definitely minmaxed a lot more than 13 year old me did though and the last boss of the hawk story didn't know what hit it.

This team feels a bit overpowered and the rainbow seed gear is ridiculously strong (sidenote: they fixed save/reload fishing with seeds).

I had the same issue, got lucky with Nightblade item as my first then 3 paladin items in a row. The ??? seed drop rate really picked up after benevodon #4 and suddenly I had an excess of all of them. Not sure if it was from level, seed box level or just the natural progression.

DD/Nightblade
LD/Starlancer
LD/Liege

This is same team I ran and it was way more synergistic than I would have imagined thanks to the new chain abilities. Starlancer and Liege's CS3s were on the weaker side though.

Hawk was crit focused to enable this Nightblade passive

which is helped by a Riesz base class chain ability

and Valkyrie Riesz's chain ability

and Liege Duran's chain ability

and general purpose

when Hawk so much as breathed on someone they would get afflicted with a stat down without any menuing then the damage would escalate.

Duran heals the party for 600 (1200 if his Liege passive procced) at 4MP a cast and had Tinkle Rain to cleanse ailments.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to beat Zenoa correctly. It has a special reaction to water magic but an ice coin is the only way to have that and hardly anybody will know to buy one.

You can kill the shapeshifters if you burn them down before they change shape but they seem to respawn instantly, so... not worth the effort.

I pounded him down but it mostly involved ignoring mechanics and letting Kevin whale on him with everybody else dead.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never played more than the first 15-20 minutes of SD3 but I'm still enjoying this as a followup to SoM which I was very fond of as a kid

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Gyoru posted:

DD/Nightblade
LD/Starlancer
LD/Liege

This is same team I ran and it was way more synergistic than I would have imagined thanks to the new chain abilities. Starlancer and Liege's CS3s were on the weaker side though.

I went the other route of max attacks from charge/normal attacks. I used the riesz pinpoint skill though because 10% crit is nice, hawks 4 int toxic skill to throw up a status effect (nightblade's chance to instant kill afflicted mobs with each attack is insane) then everything was just pumping attack. I had riesz stacking both ranks of atk boost all, and duran using rank 2. Basically I just let the ai auto cast buffs and went to town becoming a blender.

I like the variety/playstyles you can make with these chain skills. I need to go talk to every npc and see if I missed any.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Gyoru posted:

I grabbed 6 ??? Seeds before planting any of them. For me, each gave a unique class item, 2 for each character/1 for each branch, when planted at once. There is 1 guaranteed static chest in each of the Benevodon dungeons that contains a ??? Seed so you can get 6 without relying for monster drops. I ran through those dungeons without fighting anything until I found enough of those chests then magic roped out to class change everyone at once. It helps to have Lil Cactus leveled up far enough to be able to spot treasure chests on your minimap and having increased escape times.

Ah, yeah, that will be good to know for next time. I eventually got Hawkeye to Nomad and things are definitely taking off now, so I'll just save up a bunch to get Charlotte set.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hoooboy gnome is also a pretty great voice actor.

Bosses seem to give a ridiculous amount of xp compared to standard fights.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So what is the ??? Seed situation in terms of enemy drops? If you have to farm them how hard is it to get them really? Do you still have to specifically hunt for Potos? I'm getting close to that part of the game myself so I'm trying to steel myself.

Speaking of, help me decide my Benevodon order ;)

https://www.strawpoll.me/19866451/

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to beat Zenoa correctly. It has a special reaction to water magic but an ice coin is the only way to have that and hardly anybody will know to buy one.

You can kill the shapeshifters if you burn them down before they change shape but they seem to respawn instantly, so... not worth the effort.

I pounded him down but it mostly involved ignoring mechanics and letting Kevin whale on him with everybody else dead.

There is a chest with 3 Poseidon Claws on the opposite side of the Mana Goddess statue in the room before you fight it, so that is a fairly big hint of what element it's weak to if you at least know what the claws do. Normal attacks/class strikes using the ice saber effects from that have the same effect as water magic. Though those 3 alone will help a lot but not carry you through the entire fight.
On the other hand, compared to Zenoa or whatever it's called now the fight afterwards with Bill and Ben seemed like they were a lot easier than the original game. Maybe because it's possible to dodge their attacks now and they don't seem to have their counter anymore.

For people who have already finished the game (?!?!) can you confirm if you get to access the new postgame stuff by loading your last save or something instead of having to go through the game again in New Game+?

Random other thing, some people remarked about how hearing people say "class change" in voiced dialog is weird, but the one Amazon in the Laurent secret base say something like "Good luck attacking the castle, here take this candy" voiced out loud gave me a pretty good laugh.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 25, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm really annoyed that Angela's motivation for visiting Wendel seems to be to just generally get wisdom/advice rather than to figure out how to actually learn magic, but Duran literally and explicitly being desperate to class change because being a "fighter" just straight sucks is great.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Item Getter posted:

For people who have already finished the game (?!?!) can you confirm if you get to access the new postgame stuff by loading your last save or something instead of having to go through the game again in New Game+?

There is a post credits scene then it asks you to make a new completed game save. When you load the save, it takes you to before the final boss with the postgame quest unlocked.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Ferrinus posted:

I'm really annoyed that Angela's motivation for visiting Wendel seems to be to just generally get wisdom/advice rather than to figure out how to actually learn magic, but Duran literally and explicitly being desperate to class change because being a "fighter" just straight sucks is great.

I don't blame him, his first class doesn't even learn any spells

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

if anyone is playing duran and constantly having to heal your team try using provoke. if youre even halfway decent at dodging your teammates can beat up on all the enemies while theyre chasing you around.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Doing the post game chapter now and each character has a boss fight which is pretty neat.
Riesz: fights a giant beelady.
Duran: gets to have a one vs one duel with his dead ghost dad
Hawkeye: of course it's a giant mimic:haw:

Chrodyn fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rand Brittain posted:

The chest just before him has three claws to cast Ice Saber. I noticed that, but didn't actually do it and so had to do things the bad way.