Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dias posted:

Wooow. I actually looked up some clips of the Brazilian dub for Sailor Moon (I didn't watch it back in the day) and despite it not being anything special it's way better than this.

I'm just gonna put the Portuguese Dub of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TArNOp_l_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qny4ntnshxc

Oh and yesterday RetroPals did a Desert Bus run on their twitch, which might get a youtube upload soon. Oh, not for like charity or anything, just for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kunster posted:

I'm just gonna put the Portuguese Dub of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TArNOp_l_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qny4ntnshxc

Oh and yesterday RetroPals did a Desert Bus run on their twitch, which might get a youtube upload soon. Oh, not for like charity or anything, just for shits and giggles.

Oh, the Portuguese dub is hilarious, I remember seeing clips of it. Almost as good as the DBZ one.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Same tv station, but probably not the same team: Sailor Moon was a passion project, even with all of the gag stuff and Luna being voiced by Batatinha, who straight up has a Krusty the Clown voice.

DBZ? That was straight up "Ok Vegeta only shows up for like 5 episodes right?" kinds of preparation. But DBZ's cast still gets interviews over it, thesis and videos done about it. There's a Super Eyepatch Wolf-style video about it on the portuguese internet and it cracks me up to see that level of production done to that.

Oh yeah I forgot to post the latest Film Critters, which tackles Cuck and Adam. The content warning for it is two lines long, to give an idea on what kinds of films those are.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Roland Jones posted:

A trans woman made a few tweets criticizing Laura Grace Jane for defending Buck Angel, noted monster.

I wanted to add to this but the inciting incident was the trans woman lightly joking about calling Against Me! punk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did not expect to wake up to 'if you sublet murk yourself' but 2020 is a year of wonders.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

To summarize:

A trans woman made a few tweets criticizing Laura Grace Jane for defending Buck Angel, noted monster.

Alice jumped into the thread to start digging up tweets about her being a landlord, then implied that she should kill herself after the woman asked what Alice thinks she should do. (Said "landlord" has one house and lives there herself, sublets rooms in said house at half the going rate and puts excess money into a maintenance fund instead of taking it for profit, hasn't charged rent at all since the COVID-19 crisis started, and has pushed to have the laws in her country (Iceland) that prevent people from sharing ownership of a single home so that she can turn her house into a co-op owned by all the residents, so as far as landlordliness goes it's pretty minor. Also even if you ignore all that the actual landlording is pretty similar to a situation DNE described in one of his own videos, and I don't think the message there was that Mrs. O'Leary should kill herself. I could be mistaken though.)

Some of the tweets Alice posted as proof of evil landlordliness involved the woman having had to throw out a tenant's friend for trying to rape her, and then banning that tenant from bringing guests into the house because he kept trying to bring his rapist friend back or something. No one was evicted as far as I know, unless you count the rapist friend since he was staying with his pal there free sometimes. Even if you stretch things to include him, I think attempted rape is a pretty fair reason for getting kicked out, so gently caress that guy.

Someone started using the official WTYP account to say Alice was in the right about all this and make jokes about being "cancelled" by the "Landlord Defense Brigade", basically directing their followers to dogpile on the situation. From their past videos I thought it was Liam who runs the account, but whoever was posting claimed that it was DNE. Whoever it was, they spent at least seven hours tweeting about this.

Alice has since spent two days doubling down on this, getting into stuff like spreading the woman's deadname, and generally being human garbage.

It's all been very bewildering, disgusting, and disappointing. I'm sure they're going to talk about it at the start of the next episode too; I wonder how they're going to try to spin it so that Alice doesn't look like a complete shithead. (Probably by just saying "landlord" a million times and ignoring everything that actually happened.)

It is an accurate characterization of the landlord bitching stuff.

Oh goddamnit, I liked donoteat.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh goddamnit, I liked donoteat.

Big same. DNE still posts here right? Would it be too much to ask to maybe get a statement?

Like, if it is how it looks I'm actively distraught.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

I wanted to add to this but the inciting incident was the trans woman lightly joking about calling Against Me! punk

.....this just gets even worse doesn't it

Alice Avizandum is a horrible, poisonous person. Sadly she's far from the only figure on trans Twitter you could say that about.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

edit: never mind

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 25, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you actually think renting out some rooms in your house is the same as being a slumlord you need to live in the real world instead of twitter.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God can any of these loving people just not quadruple down? Or would that be some showing weakness bullshit or they don't want to lose friends who are saying lovely things. It's like anytime a Chapo thread has to deal with the fact that Amber is a trash person and bad organizer; just go after the people saying that to find reasons to justify why they are wrong and bad and should be harassed for going after their stupidpol queen.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well that's one less patreon to support.

Such a shame.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

achillesforever6 posted:

God can any of these loving people just not quadruple down? Or would that be some showing weakness bullshit or they don't want to lose friends who are saying lovely things. It's like anytime a Chapo thread has to deal with the fact that Amber is a trash person and bad organizer; just go after the people saying that to find reasons to justify why they are wrong and bad and should be harassed for going after their stupidpol queen.

Less a fear of "showing weakness" and more a fear of "admitting they are grifters who only care about the bottom line and thus have to maximize clout".

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

achillesforever6 posted:

God can any of these loving people just not quadruple down?

"No"

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Well, this has been an entertaining thread to catch up on.

And that last sentence was only partially sarcastic.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

edit: never mind

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 25, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

.....this just gets even worse doesn't it

Alice Avizandum is a horrible, poisonous person. Sadly she's far from the only figure on trans Twitter you could say that about.
My mental state improved a lot of by stepping away from Twitter once I was out and it wasn’t my only outlet for, I dunno, being me.

Trans twitter is something else.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

Less a fear of "showing weakness" and more a fear of "admitting they are grifters who only care about the bottom line and thus have to maximize clout".
I do think some of them aren't grifters and more just don't want to lose friends when they say stupid poo poo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

My mental state improved a lot of by stepping away from Twitter once I was out and it wasn’t my only outlet for, I dunno, being me.

Trans twitter is something else.

Big agree

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Most of the trans twitters I follow just post selfies and tell each other that they're cute.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

generally my experience with trans twitter is that you should listen to your brain's warnings if someone comes off as mean and flippant or if they go above and beyond to infantilize themselves. there will always be false positives, perfectly good people who give off these energies, but it's worth the cost.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So for the sake of those of us who don't follow this podcast, where did these people's hatred of landlords even come from in the first place? Seems like a weird detail on top of all the transphobia and doxing and so on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Please to enjoy some wholesome content from Clint, asking if the Gaboon Viper is the best pet snake.

Spoiler: Lord, no.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Bakeneko posted:

So for the sake of those of us who don't follow this podcast, where did these people's hatred of landlords even come from in the first place? Seems like a weird detail on top of all the transphobia and doxing and so on.

Landords are parasites.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bakeneko posted:

Landlords suck because withholding a basic necessity (housing) for profit sucks, and people do that in large scale, which is why you have insane rent prices in certain regions, it's partially why gentrification happens, etc, etc. It's a pretty basic leftist concept. This is just someone distorting the concept to attack a person they don't like.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jamie Faith posted:

Most of the trans twitters I follow just post selfies and tell each other that they're cute.

yeah there’s obviously good trans people on twitter but there’s a fairly large and prominent circle of extremely toxic people

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Bakeneko posted:

It's a fundamental criticism of housing as a commodity.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Jamie Faith posted:

Landords are parasites.

:hai:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

anti-capitalists see landlords as a massive force for evil, as they withhold the fundamental human need for shelter behind a monetary paywall, extracting the profits.

the trans person in question, however, was earnestly attempting to create as close to co-operative housing as physically possible under Iceland's hosed up property laws. she couldn't provide a co-op structure so she rented at-cost instead. she is not extracting any profits from this situation.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 25, 2020

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dias posted:

Landlords suck because withholding a basic necessity (housing) for profit sucks, and people do that in large scale, which is why you have insane rent prices in certain regions, it's partially why gentrification happens, etc, etc. It's a pretty basic leftist concept. This is just someone distorting the concept to attack a person they don't like.
Also you get a lot of internet points from the online left by being an edgelord

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I actually want to apologize for my 2 earlier posts. I deleted them pretty quickly so barely anyone saw them but I was under the impression the person Alice was going after was a legit landlord but now I'm seeing people say otherwise. I guess it's my fault for taking Alice at her word, considering she's always been a scumbag.

https://twitter.com/BathysphereHat/status/1133019837893156864

:yikes:

Edit: the pic in the tweet actually gets cut off. Click it to see how it gets much worse! :thumbsup:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

anti-capitalists see landlords as a massive force for evil, as they withhold the fundamental human need for shelter behind a monetary paywall.

the trans person in question, however, was earnestly attempting to create as close to co-operative housing as physically possible under Iceland's hosed up property laws. she couldn't provide a co-op structure so she rented at-cost instead.

Oh, okay. But most people still have to pay for housing one way or another unless, like, they inherit a place from their parents where the mortgage was already paid off, and in that case somebody still paid for it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Also you get a lot of internet points from the online left by being an edgelord

This is what's made me sick of a lot of ~leftist~ spaces, like there's already enough of that from the nazis we have around, can we not play this jaded online cool guy sociopath poo poo along with them.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Just wanted to pop in and say the woman Alice decided to tell kill herself (freyja) is my friend and Roland's summary is basically accurate. It's been really fun watching a bunch of UK leftist twitter personalities and comedians basically go "drat really funny joke here" and supporting Alice.

For clarity:
Freyja inherited her house when her father died.
The house had only 20% of the mortgage paid off.
She charges rent at half the market rate to pay off the morgage and spare stuff goes into maintenance + food supplies.
She's never hidden this and Alice and her have been mutuals for ages, so Alice is basically weaponising something she's known about for years because Freyja said mean things about a band.

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 25, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

There are hordes of people for whom Landlord is their primary source of income. This is why the whole topic has come up recently, as the pandemic left swathes of people unemployed, and landlords started flipping the gently caress out because rent is the only way they can pay the bills. Which leads to a lot of lovely behavior like kicking people out on the streets in the midst of a pandemic, illegally using tenant information to spy on their covid check status, and grouping up with other parasites landlords to scheme up other dickish ways to get their money.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

It is an accurate characterization of the landlord bitching stuff.
Well that blows.

Bakeneko posted:

Oh, okay. But most people still have to pay for housing one way or another unless, like, they inherit a place from their parents where the mortgage was already paid off, and in that case somebody still paid for it.
Yeah and if you buy a house or condo, while it still isn't ideal you are at the very least allowed to own the house in return for your money. Paying a landlord will never give you any such reward simply feeding money into a leech, who can cut you off at any time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Oh that Alice person is the weird fundie convert one right? I forgot all about them but whew some real hideous bullshit.

https://twitter.com/Calvin_f10/status/1133172660136026114

https://twitter.com/MusketAnna/status/1253926971479937028

https://twitter.com/SummerCucumbers/status/1133136283205681152

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

This is what's made me sick of a lot of ~leftist~ spaces, like there's already enough of that from the nazis we have around, can we not play this jaded online cool guy sociopath poo poo along with them.
Yeah and most of them aren't good organizers I can tell you that; they also really want to excuse their lovely jokes by screaming "Wokescolds" and saying how we'll never get the working class onboard if we can't tell blue collar jokes or clap. (as someone who was at the DSA National Convention you wouldn't believe how many people were mad that they were being asked to do the ASL clapping because to them clapping shows your strength to the other factions)

I loving hate stupidpol folks and guess what chapter in the DSA is notoriously full of them? Philadelphia

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bakeneko posted:

The landlord isn't doing anything they just leech off the earnings of their renter. Any money they pay for rent provides no lasting benefit to them. Purely parasitic. If you sell someone a house they own a house. They get a lasting benefit.

And insidiously landlords jack up prices making actually buying a place harder. Landlording is a system that purely steals wealth from the poor for the benefit of those who already have land.

Now this ignores a whole lot of potential grey areas and nuance and guess what the poor Icelandic lady Alice has terrorised falls into a bunch of them. But that's the gist of the thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Dammit I liked Alice on WTYP and Trashfuture.

:smith: