Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well, a little bit of trauma. It does feel fitting given DuckTales is based on the same source material from waaay back in the day that pretty much codified a lot of jetsetting pulp adventure. The famous intro sequence from Indiana Jones was directly based on a Scrooge McDuck comic.

It also helps that it's going for a big world with a lot of recurring side characters being set up as having their own adventures offscreen; setting up Darkwing Duck, the Rescue Rangers, and even Higher for Hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh, for sure, but it's all cultural ping-pong. I wonder if VB will ever resonate with kids watching DuckTales now or if it's something that can only work for our generation.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My artbook showed up a day early! The quality of this thing is awesome, I can’t believe I snagged it for ~20 bucks.

Still one of my favorites, I've read it 4 or 5 times. I keep it on a stand on my dresser and flip thru it in the morning. A steal for the price.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I paid double that for my book and it still felt like I got a bargain.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Oh, for sure, but it's all cultural ping-pong. I wonder if VB will ever resonate with kids watching DuckTales now or if it's something that can only work for our generation.

Jokes about VH1 Classic are timeless.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the polar bear from lost!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Jokes about VH1 Classic are timeless.

I'm trapped in here with a confessed arsonist!

I like the idea that Hank's learning bed was crosswired to whatever TV his dad fell asleep watching hence all the crazy poo poo up there.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

So I got around to reading my artbook after others were talking about it. What's the over under on us getting the Pants Golem next season? They are in NYC now, it's right there.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

The strong character writing carries the show even if you don't get the references, so I think they'll learn to appreciate it. Plus, by the time they're old enough we'll probably have a trailer for the next season to entice them, maybe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Until I got the art book I thought that Hunter saying Brock was “a quarter Winnebago” was only referring to his size, not him being descended from that tribe. That was a surprise.

This art book fuckin’ rules.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I had a dream involving this show and I think my brain crossed the streams into a universe where Rusty did become a villain, it was oddly coherent for a dream too

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

drrockso20 posted:

So I had a dream involving this show and I think my brain crossed the streams into a universe where Rusty did become a villain, it was oddly coherent for a dream too

I had a dream a few weeks ago where Brock was chasing me and it was truly terrifying. He ended up catching me only to wish me a happy birthday. Weirdest dream I ever woke up in a cold sweat from.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Playing XCOM Chimera Squad is making me want a venture brothers based SRPG where you do OSI raids and whatnot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Playing XCOM Chimera Squad is making me want a venture brothers based SRPG where you do OSI raids and whatnot.

Tutorial level is the raid by the Monarch's henchmen seen at the beginning of the Venturestein episode

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Until I got the art book I thought that Hunter saying Brock was “a quarter Winnebago” was only referring to his size, not him being descended from that tribe. That was a surprise.

This art book fuckin’ rules.

I went through the same process

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I went through the same process

Honestly, props to that line for working about a joke about his size and being a tribe that’s from around where he’s from. And not using that to make Brock into a Magic Native type thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I still like the Poker Night joke where GlaDOS tracks the descendants of Ash Williams that he sired in the past and it turns out Brock Samson is a direct descendant.

Honestly, props to that line for working about a joke about his size and being a tribe that’s from around where he’s from. And not using that to make Brock into a Magic Native type thing.

It's easy to forget how gleefully Americans appropriate native identities for branding, but I think Gathers' tone makes it clear that he's stating a fact that doubles as a joke.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's easy to forget how gleefully Americans appropriate native identities for branding, but I think Gathers' tone makes it clear that he's stating a fact that doubles as a joke.

Even looking at the 2001 joke it’s pretty respectful, he was going to go to an actual Winnebago chief for guidance. It wasn’t quite Longmire with the Cheyenne but it wasn’t going to be cheesy

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Every douchy country guy in the south will randomly claim to be 1/64 Cherokee at some point.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Every douchy country guy in the south will randomly claim to be 1/64 Cherokee at some point.

Funny thing is it's usually polite code for being part black. Though 1/4 implies he has a verifiable Winnebago grandparent.

Maybe it's making up a bit for Princess Tinyfeet, though pretty much everything about her is meant to wrap all the way around into being funny.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I bought the art book to help get through quarantine and I have to say the section on Love Bheits where Jackson Publick goes on for several paragraphs about the worst episodes still having their fan favorite moments and then Doc Hammer chimes in at the end to say "I have nothing to say about this episode other than that I hate it" is by far funnier than anything that actually happens in the episode.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I went into this forum for the first time in a couple of years, saw this thread, googled, saw the venture bros is on hulu and decided to do a rewatch. The aspect ratio is all hosed up? At first it was the right shape but only taking up part of my screen, like a picture with black all around it. Then by episode 6 or so it was normal old-crt aspect ratio taking up the entire vertical with black bars on the side.

I never watched the post-credit stuff the first time, so I'm watching it all now. Is there a way to get hulu to automatically stop skipping credits? I suppose that's autoplay-off. Also thanks to reading this thread I just picked up the art book! I'm watching the episodes then reading it, unless someone recommends me to do it the other way 'round. It's an amazing book. I loving love it. So thanks for that, whoever recommended it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

redreader posted:

I went into this forum for the first time in a couple of years, saw this thread, googled, saw the venture bros is on hulu and decided to do a rewatch. The aspect ratio is all hosed up? At first it was the right shape but only taking up part of my screen, like a picture with black all around it. Then by episode 6 or so it was normal old-crt aspect ratio taking up the entire vertical with black bars on the side.

I never watched the post-credit stuff the first time, so I'm watching it all now. Is there a way to get hulu to automatically stop skipping credits? I suppose that's autoplay-off. Also thanks to reading this thread I just picked up the art book! I'm watching the episodes then reading it, unless someone recommends me to do it the other way 'round. It's an amazing book. I loving love it. So thanks for that, whoever recommended it.

Hulu has that with a bunch of older shows, I think it goes to full screen HD in S3.

Also, read the book first then watch the episode, it lets you know what to look for.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think it was an issue where they wanted to have something be a cinematic view but it had to fit on 4:3 TVs, so it was letterboxed, but didn't get unletterboxed when widescreen TVs happened.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

yeah there’s intentionally letterboxed scenes especially in the cold opens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

yeah there’s intentionally letterboxed scenes especially in the cold opens.

It’s definitely weird on widescreens though, since it’s already not using most of the screen so the letterboxed bits are teeny.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'd much rather deal with a show produced in 4:3 doing occasional letterboxed scenes than encourage streaming services to gently caress with aspect ratios on their own

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Was TVB on Netflix for a period of time? I vaguely remember some show only having the first few seasons of its run and then poking fun about it during a later season announcement. I don't know if it was this show, but I could see them doing that.

Joke was something to the effect of "There was a season 4? - Netflix user" for the Season 5 teaser commercial or whatever.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It was (is?) on hulu

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Was TVB on Netflix for a period of time? I vaguely remember some show only having the first few seasons of its run and then poking fun about it during a later season announcement. I don't know if it was this show, but I could see them doing that.

Joke was something to the effect of "There was a season 4? - Netflix user" for the Season 5 teaser commercial or whatever.

Yeah, Netflix only had, I want to say the first two seasons?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok it was likely an AS bumper for Season 4 then.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Ok it was likely an AS bumper for Season 4 then.

Probably S5, didn’t S4 air in 2010 before Netflix streaming really took off?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Netflix had seasons 1 and 2 for a while.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I started rewatching season 7 for the first time since it aired.

I know St Cloud isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love the episode where Monarch is mentoring him. His entrance declaration of "I hope you brought your rubbers ... umm ... because a storm is coming through" combined with the Monarch and 21's groans was perfect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This was also the first time I'd revisited season 7 since airing. While I was a little cold on it at the time and missed the earlier goofier adventure vibe of the show, this time around I loved it unequivocally. Seasons 5-7 were so janky when it came to the start and end of character and story arcs not lining up with season finales and premieres that it never felt like there was a proper sense of momentum that I could grasp onto. But watching them back-to-back with a proper flow, I absolutely prefer the back half of the show to the front half. It feels like the show is no longer a riff on adventure shows and superscience and has fully become a show about exploring comic book/superhero universes ala The Tick, bringing it full-circle. And now watching regular superhero stuff is way funnier, because I apply VB bureaucratic rules to it. Batman's exploits feel so much sillier with Guild red tape in mind.

e: Peak show is still the one-two-punch of Cleansuit and Gargantua II, though.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 5, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Monarch and Gary being somewhat proud of St. cloud is just so charming.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Batman's exploits feel so much sillier with Guild red tape in mind.

Turns out that Batman would love to kill bad guys, he just respects the rules.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Turns out that Batman would love to kill bad guys, he just respects the rules.

That would be a better explanation then the current bullshit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

The Monarch and Gary being somewhat proud of St. cloud is just so charming.

It’s funny how both sides act, there’s this mix of nostalgia and pride with them thinking it’s ridiculous. It’s like a kid’s first day of school. Such a good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It’s funny how both sides act, there’s this mix of nostalgia and pride with them thinking it’s ridiculous. It’s like a kid’s first day of school. Such a good episode.

The whole thing is basically set up like a pair of mildly interested parents setting their kids up for their first soccer game. Both Rusty and the Monarch are aware of how much a farce arching can be, and nothing moreso than level 1 arching, but they put some effort into it anyway.

Kinda funny that on thought, Billy and Pete basically took on St Cloud with his own methods- using second-hand superhero memorabilia irresponsibly, while it's St Cloud who has the off-the-shelf overpriced super-science gadgets.