Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Does the remake have any actual explanation for why there's this random demon furnace installed in the castle for no particular reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's just Belladonna's aesthetic. She's one of those people who can't stop redecorating.

So, uh, what are you actually supposed to do with the adds? I feel like there's meant to be a better solution but I wound up just ignoring them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While they have been a few extras with bad voices, for the most part I have not minded the cast. They are not the greatest cast ever, but are passable.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

It's just Belladonna's aesthetic. She's one of those people who can't stop redecorating.

So, uh, what are you actually supposed to do with the adds? I feel like there's meant to be a better solution but I wound up just ignoring them.

i just ignored them and bashed on the furnace. when its hp is real low it just started spamming attacks around the entire room with no real way to avoid taking damage so i just rushed it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

welp, game still hasn't arrived, time to start breaking stuff

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whats a good place to farm the ??? seeds?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Inflammatory posted:

somebody earlier in the thread said summon spells scale with spirit instead of int.

That's the original, I think. In the remake, everything that deals with offensive magic now goes off of the magic attack stat, which is keyed to Intellect.

Healing Magic still depends on Spirit, and Hawkeye's trap/projectile spells depends solely on Luck.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Just letting you all know that class 4 does not grant access to the skills/spells of both class 3 paths for that character. It is still extremely broken due to the stat gains, training cap rising to 63 and 2 extra skill slots!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

iirc they started dropping of mobs in the benevodon dungeons after I had killed 4.

I ended up just slogging along with riesz and duran at class 2 until I got the items I wanted and then did a reset at the night markets.

Chrodyn fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 25, 2020

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I decided to give light Hawk a try. The new combo he gets is quite nice. It’s a distance covering charge that hits multiple targets and does a lot of damage. Combined with the 15% damage passive I can blow up whole groups. His spells aren’t exactly anything to write home about. Did someone say they scale with luck?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

ultrachrist posted:

I decided to give light Hawk a try. The new combo he gets is quite nice. It’s a distance covering charge that hits multiple targets and does a lot of damage. Combined with the 15% damage passive I can blow up whole groups. His spells aren’t exactly anything to write home about. Did someone say they scale with luck?

Yep. Dart and Spikes scale with Luck.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I'm not even sure how you're supposed to beat Zenoa correctly. It has a special reaction to water magic but an ice coin is the only way to have that and hardly anybody will know to buy one.

You can kill the shapeshifters if you burn them down before they change shape but they seem to respawn instantly, so... not worth the effort.

I pounded him down but it mostly involved ignoring mechanics and letting Kevin whale on him with everybody else dead.

Hawkeye gets a water spell if you go Ninja with him

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chrodyn posted:

Just letting you all know that class 4 does not grant access to the skills/spells of both class 3 paths for that character. It is still extremely broken due to the stat gains, training cap rising to 63 and 2 extra skill slots!

Do the new classes have new skills or just a higher stat cap and more skill slots?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I decided to play with Riesz, Hawkeye and Charlotte because that was my first Seiken Densetsu 3 party. My plan is to go Starlancer, Ninja Master and one of Charlotte's light classes.

So far the game seems fun. I would not call it awesome, but I am having a good time and definitely approve of this remake.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Do the new classes have new skills or just a higher stat cap and more skill slots?

No new spells but a bunch of new/higher ranks of skills. Right now Riesz has Atk boost all ranks 1/2/3 equipped.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

What I did was peek into every benevodon area to get the ??? seed from the chest. Do like a couple in a row, check out if it's the classes you want, then either continue or start beating up the bosses. I kinda wanted to class change before doing any (although I did do fire benevodon, because it was undine day)

So at the risk of sounding like a dumbass again, what do status effects even DO. I mean I know what they do in general (except burned???), but what are the governing stats and numbers?

Chrodyn posted:

No new spells but a bunch of new/higher ranks of skills. Right now Riesz has Atk boost all ranks 1/2/3 equipped.

This is important if anyone thinks they can only equip the highest rank. Also some upgrades actually turn into chain ones. I really like this new system, it gives a little extra depth to class/party choice

Dackel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 25, 2020

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cant seem to savescum the seed into the class item you want meh.

Also anyone figure out how to reset the classes to pick a different branch?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i probably would have lost the fight against the 3 robots in the snow area if 2 of my crew didnt have imp rings. the other one was constantly frozen and useless lol

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Cant seem to savescum the seed into the class item you want meh.

Also anyone figure out how to reset the classes to pick a different branch?
I know that in Seiken Densetsu 3, you can't just reload and try again, you will get the same seeds if you do so. You have to go and fight some enemies or in other ways jog the RNG.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Huh, the seeds are seeded :haw:

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

angela is so much more fun to play as in this. the skill that lets you leech mp from strong attacks and the shortcuts let you spam spells like crazy

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
having the worst possible luck with ??? seed drops; i'm 4 beasts in and haven't had a single one drop.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still trying to decide if I want this when I have a game or two that I am interested in playing in my backlog. What is the good word?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still trying to decide if I want this when I have a game or two that I am interested in playing in my backlog. What is the good word?

I love it and I am only a 6 hours in.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I really like it. I’m sure nostalgia plays a non-trivial part, especially w/r/t putting up with the goofy story. But the regular gameplay is great. I’ve always wondered why the party building conceit used here was never picked up in other games.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So I dunno if this is just me but while I was fighting in Ferolia I got a few ??? Seed drops, pre-Benedovons. I guess it's probably from some of the more advanced wolfmen in there? I'd rather try and get it all settled now rather than later.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
To throw my anecdote on the pile: I've played plenty of JRPGs, but somehow never played a Mana game, and coming fresh off DQXI, I'm having a blast. It's weird to me that people are comparing them because one is a new game with a much larger budget and the other is (from what I can see) a faithful remake of a 25 year old game on a relatively small budget. Like, yeah, it's not FF7R, but it's totally unreasonable to expect that.

I've been switching off with my quarantine friend, who doesn't really game and has never played a JRPG, and she's loving it, anime boobs included. It's so over the top that it ends up being entertaining. We're playing on Hard with Riesz/Angela/Kevin and like many people got our poo poo pushed in on the first try on the furnace boss. The problem was that it dragged out too long and we ran dry on candies/chocolates/cups, so the second time I focused on breaking him ASAP then dumping class specials; 2 cycles of this and he was dead, I think we only had 2 deaths. I let the AI party members deal with the adds while I focused on the boss.

I'm about to start a new game with the other 3 and I'm really looking forward to it. Game is good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ASenileAnimal posted:

angela is so much more fun to play as in this. the skill that lets you leech mp from strong attacks and the shortcuts let you spam spells like crazy

She has a slow start until you get both MP regain abilities and at least one of your second tier spells, at which point she starts rocketing off like crazy. Grand Sage has a flat +25% magic damage ability that makes max MP casts hit for insane numbers. I was getting 1.1k Saint Beams on Zombies in Gusthall.

Inflammatory posted:

having the worst possible luck with ??? seed drops; i'm 4 beasts in and haven't had a single one drop.

Best guess is either that ??? Seeds have a level-proportionate drop rate, or that there's specific enemies with a higher chance to drop them in certain Benevodon areas. I got a shitload doing Gem Valley, which also happened to be my fourth Benevodon.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

The post-fourth Benevodon hypothesis lines up pretty well with what I experienced. Ended up flopping Charlotte into Warlock instead of Necromancer once I finally got an item just to get it over with, but I didn't end up missing Dark Curse at all. Dispel is pretty clutch and the new summons have much better hit tracking than Chess Knight and Machine Golem.

I'm a little disappointed that you don't get the spells from your other half in Class 4, but the new passives were all pretty crazy so it made up for it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I got two ??? seed drops in my third benevodon (Mispolm, off the bee ladies both times) and with the three from chests I've gotten one of every level-up item except Hawkeye's other dice. I don't know if they're coded to not double up or I just got lucky.

Dolan was great, particularly once I remembered I had a jump button. Lightgazer is still annoying as heck. Mispolm got a bit too chaotic for my tastes. While they seem to get out of red, both Dolan and Mispolmhad an issue with the AI characters having no clue how to dodge attacks you need to jump. I burned through a lot of rez items on Misp because of that.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I agree with others that Chawette is super annoying; somehow the text is actually worse for me since it's such a struggle to recreate the sentences. On the other hand, I absolutely lost it when the Skipper started talking. Gnome's accent is amazing too.

Are there any tips/clues for finding the random passives without talking to literally everyone in town or using a guide or is it pretty random?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ferrinus posted:

I'm really annoyed that Angela's motivation for visiting Wendel seems to be to just generally get wisdom/advice rather than to figure out how to actually learn magic, but Duran literally and explicitly being desperate to class change because being a "fighter" just straight sucks is great.

Seriously the Crimson Wizard caster supremacies all over him and he's like "how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?"

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 25, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SuperKlaus posted:

Seriously the Crimson Wizard caster supremacies all over him and he's like "how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?"

"How do I class change?" "I donno, but this Faerie's quest about the Sword of Mana is more important." "How does that help me beat the Crimson Wizard?" "You could... hit him with the Sword?" "Okay I'm in."

And that was with Duran as the main character. He doesn't care about the whole mana thing at ALL.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The bees in the Mispolm area drop ??? seeds but it's at such a low rate you might as well just play the game normally instead of trying to farm them. I'm two god-beasts down and have everyone at level 50 already because I've farmed the same room with a group of 4 bees over and over and only gotten one seed from it.

e: Also Kevin's light-dark and dark-dark classes seem to have swapped since the original. Changed into what I thought was the Death Hand equivalent and it has me learning Moon Sabre eventually instead of Energy Sphere.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 25, 2020

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Got to sit down and play the game last night. About 8 hours later I was at the end of chapter 2 with Kevin/Charlotte/Riesz and wondering why I was so tired.

Game is good. The music is as banging as always only now it's got way more depth to it.

ASenileAnimal posted:

the ghost ship boss was rough. the spinning attack is prettymuch a oneshot if you get caught badly. i was tossing out tons of items and spamming the gently caress out of holy bolt.
I had trouble with it at first, dodging the ghost toots while trying to break the shadow can be a bit hard. Fortunately it's shadow thing doesn't regain health if you fail to break it!

Once it was stunned Kevin ORA-ORA-ORA-Backflip kicked it for 3,466 damage.
So I did that again. It was fun.

Phayray posted:

I agree with others that Chawette is super annoying; somehow the text is actually worse for me since it's such a struggle to recreate the sentences. On the other hand, I absolutely lost it when the Skipper started talking. Gnome's accent is amazing too.

Are there any tips/clues for finding the random passives without talking to literally everyone in town or using a guide or is it pretty random?
All of the NPC's I've gotten chain skills from have been important in some way, either because they're a named background character (Stella in Valsena) or their station (the Lord of Jadd.)
The most :negative: one I found so far was on the way to the Koropokkur woods. Duck into the ruins of Astoria and talk with the only non-party member NPC there. Good dog, best friend.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Phantasium posted:

welp, game still hasn't arrived, time to start breaking stuff

Same. Amazon delayed mine to Tuesday, and I've never felt so close to Karen-ing out.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If it's still like the OG, then Shimmering Ruins or Labyrinth of Ice. Mama Potos spawn Papa Potos when weakened. Shimmering is better, since there are guaranteed spawns, whereas Labyrinth is more random.

SuperKlaus posted:

Why would he want to anyway, those abs are chick/bro magnet

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Duran wouldn't actually need the class change if he weren't absolutely set on the "hit it with a big sword" approach against an opponent who can teleport and attack from range.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xan Bie kicked my rear end. I thought you would have to dps the altars down when it starts charging up its big aoe attack, but I did that and it still exploded me :confused:

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

e: Also Kevin's light-dark and dark-dark classes seem to have swapped since the original. Changed into what I thought was the Death Hand equivalent and it has me learning Moon Sabre eventually instead of Energy Sphere.

Fatal Fist = Death Hand, get it?

I feel like the GameFAQs guides alternated between considering which one was DL and DD. Honestly, there's not really any distinction in game of which 3rd tier is "light" or "dark". Thematically, it always made more sense that the one whose name has death in it to be the darker class.

Edit: Square-N Classics got it right :colbert:

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 26, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I definitely remember running into a serious problem because the guides got something about Kevin's classes backwards and upgrading into the wrong one when I did the Collection of Mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got the last seed I needed in my fifth Benevodon dungeon, but only because I would absolutely not settle for less than Necromancer for Charlotte. Kevin and Hawkeye were rocking their third jobs since just after the first benevodon. Tip: the chest in the Woods of Wandara with the ??? Seed is right at the beginning of the dungeon, so you can roll the dice that soon.

Speaking of the Woods though, I'm sad that you can't go to it before your story split dungeon and see the Mana Stone there, it just isn't for whatever reason. Even though it's there in the cutscene showing it breaking. I guess some polish had to be lost somewhere...

Also, imagine my surprise when I started getting ultimate weapons/armor from seeds! I guess they replace the Imp's Ring/Elemental Ring when you class up into tier 3 in the pool. Nothing to be done about getting more of the good stuff from that though, but I haven't needed it too badly, since I'm a bit overleveled.