Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
Falconry School got hit hard by Industrialism and Flight, each causing -1 Food production. These minor tweaks on existing buildings are kinda cute though.

Corporations say that they "consume X" resource. Does this actually mean that the resource cannot be used for anything else? Making more buildings actually do that would give reason to build factories for mass production of goods. (But that would require actual game design instead of just throwing everything in the kitchen sink)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alright, I'll bite, what hilariously racist thing did they give Malacca/Malaya/Malaysia? Let's see how much my gently caress up my homeland.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ibblebibble posted:

Alright, I'll bite, what hilariously racist thing did they give Malacca/Malaya/Malaysia? Let's see how much my gently caress up my homeland.

Pirates, which is the same type of unique unit that they gave Somalia, although unlike them Malaysia does get a unique leader. Their unique unit needs any of the following civics active to be buildable, despotism, monarchy, feudal, nationalist, or mercantilism. To my knowledge this is one of the only units in the game that requires civics so why they choose to do it here is a mystery.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 24, 2020

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lmao what the gently caress

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Banemaster posted:

Falconry School got hit hard by Industrialism and Flight, each causing -1 Food production. These minor tweaks on existing buildings are kinda cute though.

Corporations say that they "consume X" resource. Does this actually mean that the resource cannot be used for anything else? Making more buildings actually do that would give reason to build factories for mass production of goods. (But that would require actual game design instead of just throwing everything in the kitchen sink)

It seems like they should,but they don't appear to. I don't know if the mechanic's just not there altogether, or I have so many mats I can't keep track, or it isn't properly rendered in my display screen for some reason.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 24, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar's Playthrough - 8th Trait Vote

So it turns out that building a lot of cultural buildings in a short period of time will send your culture skyrocketing. I don't have anywhere near enough meaningful playtime for an actual update yet (especially since after last update I don't want to bore you with too many useless techs), so i'm offering the trait vote first. One Positive and one Negative. Both trait lists are the same as before, but Scientific II is now available as an advanced trait.

I am also going to take this opportunity to ask whether people want me to stop the trait votes. Back in the beginning they were important for determining our focus and strategy, but at this point in the game it's really all just about bonus stacking. On top of that, I feel like the last few votes have been pretty lackluster anyway so they're not adding as much as they used to.

First options to 7 votes or 8 AM EST tomorrow wins. The vote on whether to continue trait votes will end at the same time the main vote does, but not be predetermined by reaching a fixed number of votes.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 24, 2020

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Scientific
Also feel free to skip the trait votes. At this point its basically a carnival of the grotesque tour of what happens when racist grognards aren't told to gently caress off and actual strategy and choice don't matter so much.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Scientific and Naive

I say keep the vote as an LPer because voting is easy thread engagement. Trust meeeeeeee

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 24, 2020

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Scientific and Negligent

Keep the votes, imho.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 24, 2020

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I am gonna need a negative vote too, people. For reference they're over here (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881453&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post503939986), and my last recommended set was over here (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881453&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post504127009) though things have changed a lot since then. I'll indicate if any are currently impossible.

Unless this is a way of indicating that I should just pick it myself.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 24, 2020

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Nah, it was my mistake. I've edited my last post.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Adding naive as my negative vote.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Pick whatever you wish, don't bother with more votes, those traits read like a cookbook and work like a kitchen sink. Just hammer us with the next new poo poo, like Oskar Dirlewanger as a German national hero so we can tell the devs to gently caress off again.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
In all honesty you should just start picking the traits that allow the long grind to go faster for you because goons picking ones that are unoptimzed and make things take more turns is likely going to drive you crazy.

Its at this point I normally read the forums or poo poo while mindlessly clicking next turn.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Scientific and Naive

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 24, 2020

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
At this point, I'd just read a book or something.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

overmind2000 posted:

Scientific II and Zealous II

We already are Zealous II, so congratulations! But gonna need to pick a different one for this vote, we don't get Level III traits til... Information Era, I think?

And yeah, a lot of this is just letting the game play itself at this point while making sure the cities don't do anything too stupid like forget to build crime containment because it lowers our income. I complained back during SJM's posting of the dev comments that to a very real extent you might as well just read the civpedia for the back half of the game. But at least in LP format it isn't (entirely) walls of text.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 24, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Jossar posted:

We already are Zealous II, so congratulations! But gonna need to pick a different one for this vote, we don't get Level III traits til... Information Era, I think?

And yeah, a lot of this is just letting the game play itself at this point while making sure the cities don't do anything too stupid like forget to build crime containment because it lowers our income. I complained back during SJM's posting of the dev comments that to a very real extent you might as well just read the civpedia for the back half of the game. But at least in LP format it isn't (entirely) walls of text.

It's been a while since I've seen the list of negative traits :v:

I've edited my earlier post

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pick whatever you feel like, I can't say I've been keeping track of the billion modifiers everything has and the last time vote was for purely thematic it ended in Greedy.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

sincx posted:

At this point we're just all waiting to see how this mod implements future stuff

:hai:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Alright, vote's closed.

Scientific II and Naive technically won, but the general consensus is we're just here for the madness of the future so to stop with the votes. TBH these are about what I would have picked anyway so no big loss there.

I expect to nevertheless have at least one more vote in the future, though on a more relevant subject to the thread's interests.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

A blind stab in the dark, but, yes, let's kill the moon nazis.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar’s Playthrough – Atomic 2/Atompunk

Plastics is mostly a filler tech but there’s one funny thing about it I want to mention. You don’t build Offshore Platforms for harvesting stuff like Natural Gas and Oil via Workboats. Instead you build a platform that zooms across the map to wherever it needs to go.

Fission, the home to nuclear weapons. I did an offscreen test and they work pretty much exactly how they do in normal Civilization. Maybe there’s some interaction with the Pollution factors either immediately or once you start flinging them around like crazy, but Pollution is already known to do things like warp the environment on its own. Not going to nuke the world to Kingdom Come to test this. Especially when we’re already turning the world into a toxic cesspit just from industrial production: several cities will hit the Major pollution thresholds this update, not that it stops them from growing.

Mass Media is a wacky tech. A bunch of celebrities/modern myths as heroes (including Laura Croft and John Frum), a bunch of miscellaneous wonders, and Biker Gangs. The various buildings here actually make my crime level so bad that I have to start building police cars all over the place.

None of these civics are better than the old ones in terms of pure science production, although I guess they help with hammers/even more wealth. I think for some of these you literally have to wait until the last civic in their tree to do better.

I’m not kidding when I said Mass Media was really bad for crime. I had to go out of my way to research this tech just to get it back under control. It is, sadly, not the last time a tech dealing with cultural development will skyrocket your crime into the stratosphere. Urban Culture really deserves a tirade of its own too, although we'll see if the thread gets to that one before I reach the tech near the end of the Atomic Era tree.

Mechanized Warfare is your next big set of military unit upgrades. Debated whether or not to throw it in, but it's interesting enough to see the evolution of unit design throughout the eras.

Logistics is important because it allows for the development of our next corporation, Ultimate Soldiers, a combination arms dealer/PMC which further boosts science. Insert your own Metal Gear speech here.

[An announcer’s voice can be heard accompanying a commercial on television]

“The factories of Yurts Off the Dirt are working night and day to provide you with the best facilities and amenities that modern science can provide!”

“Worried about traffic? Not any more with Space Age homes that rise above the clouds and bring you closer to the Sun than ever before. Come home to a piping hot meal fresh from the Pushbutton Automat, drastically reducing mealtime preparation and freeing up both you and your family to focus on enjoying quality time together. Perhaps you could even call Grandma and Grandpa on the latest Videophone device and have them be part of the conversation?”

“How is this possible you ask? Well it’s all thanks to the development of clean, cheap nuclear power!”

[The voice of a small child can be heard cutting in]

“But gee mister, isn’t nuclear power dangerous? I heard that all sorts of accidents could happen if a reactor goes kerplooie!”

“Nonsense, Ganzorig! Perhaps a decade or two ago nuclear power was unsafe and experimental. But these days containment procedures are much stronger and perfectly harmless. Reactors have already been in vehicles like airplanes for several years now, and you don’t hear about those going up in a mushroom cloud, do you?”

“I guess not! Thanks mister!”

“Don’t thank me, thank the brilliant designers of the Atomic Age, like those at Yurts Off the Dirt. And remember our slogan – All the comforts of old, made anew.”

[A very fast and high pitched voice mutters something indecipherable about a disclaimer before the commercial ends]

(Techs not mentioned: Electronics, Abstract Mathematics, Theory of Relativity, Cosmology, Quantum Physics, Modern Physics, Television, Pop Art, Highway Systems, Agrichemicals, Physical Chemistry, Manufacturing, Microwaves, Nuclear Power)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 25, 2020

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The shoehorning of the Jetsons into the mod would be annoying if the devs didn't already shove in everything else. Guess after a certain point you get inured to the random cultural (mis)appropriation.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Admittedly looking back at that era is kind of nice, shows the hope people had for the future.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is the AI any sort of concern past the initial caveman stage? It seems to be more of an interactive story thing past a certain point.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Atompunk part of the game missed a golden opportunity to include the ultimate nuclear-powered consumer device that never was, the Ford Nucleon

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is John Frum handled any less racist than Urban Culture presumably is?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this mod sincerely puts out that the invention of television causes the crime rate to skyrocket, what do you think

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Mokotow posted:

Is the AI any sort of concern past the initial caveman stage? It seems to be more of an interactive story thing past a certain point.

You can sort of get it to be a threat in Ancient/Classical if you jack all the settings up, but in the long term as long as you are a competent player and don't handicap yourself too much, you will probably crush the game by Medieval, maybe Renaissance.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The quote is ripped directly off Wikipedia. So in all honesty it's kinda lazy more than ill intentioned, if anything. Unless i'm missing context for the photo.

Mister Olympus posted:

this mod sincerely puts out that the invention of television causes the crime rate to skyrocket, what do you think

Technically it isn't the television, it's Terrorist Compounds and Motorcycle Gangs and it's easier to do damage control for the city AI being dumb than actually manage all this stuff manually at this point.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 25, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 23, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Yeah, that's less bad than I had anticipated.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Jossar’s Playthrough – Atomic 3

Vertical Flight is the tech for helicopters in all forms military and civilian. It comes with the next level of crime fighting promotion.

Next up come a lot of computing techs. Partially on their own merits, partially because we have Dieselpunk researched, these unlock buildings which provide a huge amount of science for us relative to their costs.

The next series of techs upgrade to late 20th century military units.

If you couldn’t tell, we’re leapfrogging the tech tree a bit, which is going to make for some annoying catch up later (as usual). Nevertheless I think it’s very important here, because we’re on the verge of something grand and terrible.

Advanced Rocketry provides access to a few more units including ICBMs, but these aren’t what make it important. Its most important feature is to serve as an infrastructural development tech.

The National Aerospace Agency is needed in order for you to put units up into space. Sputnik isn’t literally mandatory, but it’s nice to have in order to speed up Satellite construction.

That’s right folks. It’s finally time to start dealing with space.

Now you will notice that Satellites reveals the World Map. This is a bit of a misnomer because it isn’t limited to the “world”. Not in the slightest.

So I would like you to take a moment and imagine yourselves in the shoes of a player who is playing on a space map because they come bundled with the game now, but doesn’t know anything about the mod. They don’t build a city on the edge of the mountains that define the limit of Earth because the resources suck and there doesn’t seem like there’s any point to it. Based on the culture radii of our current cities they don’t see anything past the polar ice caps. Maybe they see a single mountain at the top of the map, but that’s it.

Our hypothetical player researches Satellites and suddenly their minimap looks like this:

The reaction that they might have, as many of you might be having right now, is to recoil in horror as they realize that the entirety of the Earth and its immediate orbit comprises a little under 30% of the map. The moon's about accurate in representation, but everything beyond it is abstracted to a greater and greater degree for the purposes of not having this take a literal eternity.

I really should just leave you with this, but I figure I ought to at least explain the early space mechanics. Fortunately, our first space unit can explain this well enough.

Step 1: Construct a space unit and send it to space. Satellites can’t go any higher than Low Earth Orbit for a while yet. But it’s still useful because you can activate this ability here.

Step 2: The unit is converted to a zone-relevant mission reward which spawns at your capitol. In this case, since we converted a unit in Low Earth Orbit, we get a Low Earth Orbit Mission Reward. This can be moved around at a fairly high speed to the city of your choice.

Step 3: Build the reward unit specific building. In this case we given that we are at the very start of the Space Age, we can only build this one World Wonder. Alternatively we could have the unit turn itself into a bunch of money… haha yeah right.

The units will get more advanced and we’ll get a few actual buildings apart from wonders requiring robust space unit production to take full advantage of, but this is basically how most of the early space age goes. The exception to this is Space Stations which I should be able to get to next time. They’re the foundation for actually moving further up on the map and are really more like the first space Settlers than other units.

Hey wait a minute, since we can see space now, does that mean we can see…

Oh, if only I could be so grossly incandescent.

(Techs not mentioned: Sonar, Radar, Advanced Aviation, Encryption Machines, Decryption Machines, Franchises, Solar Power, Fire Suppression)

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Sun is looking slightly less orange than I remember. :thunk:

Glad to see the space stuff here, this is actually one part of the mod that I have absolutely no in-depth knowledge of how it functions in its current state and was one of the reasons I started this LP in the first place. Interested to see if it ends up more interesting than the slog preceding it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So, both time and the Sun are flat circles.

Also, I'm looking at that minimap and feeling pretty queasy, this is gonna be great.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

The mission reward from the units is actually glitched - it doesn't give gold it actually gives beakers. Both are pretty negligible by the time you can get it, but if you are prone to cheating, a stack of those used in prehistoric will get you most of the way through medieval.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The smaller space maps that only include the Moon, Mars, and Venus and make them proportionally bigger look far, far more sane than the complete space map

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 26, 2020

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Haha, this is actually pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
Yeah, the space stuff is pretty drat cool and is pretty much the only reason I can trudge my way through the :biotruths: and play the mod a few times a year.

Actually just managed to play through to the end for the first time a month or so ago. poo poo gets wiggy towards the end, I'll say that much.