Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

what kind of brain worms do you need to have to post random hash codes on twitter

reminds me of the twitter account that was started, went protected, posted hundreds upon hundreds of predictions for the world cup, then deleted the ones that didn't pan out. unlocked their account after the cup ended and wow, this account predicted so much stuff accurately, and it was all posted before the events actually happened!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

iirc from some discussions with someone about it on Street Fight, onlyfans is tiny compared to patreon and outside of like long tail stuff, sex work was probably never a huge part of patreon?

For one, sex work is still a part of Patreon. Also, why would you quote "someone on Street Fight". Garbage podcasts aren't sources.

Is this thread HN?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Zamujasa posted:

reminds me of the twitter account that was started, went protected, posted hundreds upon hundreds of predictions for the world cup, then deleted the ones that didn't pan out. unlocked their account after the cup ended and wow, this account predicted so much stuff accurately, and it was all posted before the events actually happened!!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Using my super powers to predict the next 9/11 but instead of stopping it just posting cryptic hash codes I can snugly point to later.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Lambert posted:

For one, sex work is still a part of Patreon. Also, why would you quote "someone on Street Fight". Garbage podcasts aren't sources.

Is this thread HN?

gently caress off, dipshit

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
bingo card creator guy now works at stripe, helpin other peeps w their bingo card creator dealios

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lambert posted:

Is this thread HN?

hm somebody who's an authority on paying ppl for sex AND they hate a lefty podcast? hmm hmm hmm

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

On: Charlatans sell bogus treatment exposing blood to UV light (2016)

quote:

yread 25 minutes ago

On the other hand just because charlatans sell something doesn't mean that it doesn't work - there are crooks selling masks, fake COVID-19 infection and antibody tests. Theranos were crooks, but there is a whole bunch of companies who are presumably for real selling similar stuff https://www.medicalstartups.org/top/bloodtest/

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jonny 290 posted:

hm somebody who's an authority on paying ppl for sex AND they hate a lefty podcast? hmm hmm hmm

:emptyquote:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
tbf as a leftist i cannot stand a lot of lefitst podcasts

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
street fight is fine as long as you forget the parasocial devolution of the call in shows, awkward sex worker interview moments, and the meanstv folks

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and the ever creeping capitalism they’re quite vulnerable to

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah i havent actually listened to street fight so maybe its aight im just saying a lot of supposed ally media is pretty awful

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
while we take a break i just want to let you guys know about a great product or service i've started using. their website allows me to choose from a selection of elegantly crafted toothbrushes tailored to my style by a consultant which double as underwear and allow you to set up your own ecommerce site with a vpn that protects you online; its the best sleep i've had in years. just use the name of this podcast dot com as the promo code and the next 30 signups will get the next 30 shipments free of charge or for 30% off, your pick, and a free episode of this podcast. there's nothing to lose!

anyway, back to the show

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Internet Janitor posted:

while we take a break i just want to let you guys know about a great product or service i've started using. their website allows me to choose from a selection of elegantly crafted toothbrushes tailored to my style by a consultant which double as underwear and allow you to set up your own ecommerce site with a vpn that protects you online; its the best sleep i've had in years. just use the name of this podcast dot com as the promo code and the next 30 signups will get the next 30 shipments free of charge or for 30% off, your pick, and a free episode of this podcast. there's nothing to lose!

anyway, back to the show

I'm interested in hearing more about this consultant who doubles as underwear?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

quote:

JamesG124 11 hours ago [-]

Anyone rememer how that New Yorker piece describes HN as a place full of performative erudition?

vharuck 8 hours ago [-]

I'd much rather "performative erudition" than "performative idiocy" (a.k.a. trolling), because the latter makes visiting idiots feel they're in good company[0].

[0] Paraphrased (surprisingly to me) from a Hacker News user: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1012082

themodelplumber 5 hours ago [-]

Funny in its way. I was thinking about this a while back. IMO HN as a community is mostly introverted (subjective/qualitative) and structure-biased, so open-ended discussions on "erudite" topics which may not be direct specialties of commenters will encourage a sort of performing or even bluffing effect, out of community-identity stress.

At that time I think I concluded that the least-pressured conversations, and likely most positive and upbeat, would be those on topics like retro computing. Such a topic is close to the HN tech-user specialty, close to the heart because of its strong integration with personal past experiences, and mostly made up of "known" or "closed-ended" topics. So, far from a performance or bluff, you get some pretty passionate tales from direct experience, and erudition be damned.

Not sure if that's a rule, but so far it matches my personal perceptions of what makes a really good discussion here, vs. one that's...less like that.

jpxw 10 hours ago [-]

I’ll take “performative” erudition over a lack of any erudition at all.

voldacar 2 hours ago [-]

Lol the New Yorker is the epitome of "performative erudition".

downerending 2 hours ago [-]

Wow--that's quite a bit of (presumably unintentional) irony, coming from them.

bJGVygG7MQVF8c 10 hours ago [-]

Ha! That rings true ^_^

Although it has to be said: Takes one to know one, New Yorker. Contemptuousness toward amateurs might be justified though.

TimSchumann 11 hours ago [-]

I’d have a witty retort to this, but I can’t find the relevant XKCD.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
that last one could be a deece thread title

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Internet Janitor posted:

anyway, back to the show

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
kragen 2 minutes ago [-]

Consider a food service worker in Facebook's cafeteria. In an hour, perhaps they make 30 lunches, which in the best case delight 60 people for an hour: 60 person-hours of delight for an hour of work.
Now contrast a Facebook programmer, who in one hour might be able to fix a bug that has been annoying 0.1% of Facebook's 2.5 billion users, causing them to be frustrated rather than delighted for, say, two minutes a day, for the next three years before the feature gets rewritten. Maybe that sounds trivial, but if so, shut up and multiply: 2.5 million hours of delight per month for 36 months gives you 90 million hours of delight, for the same hour of work.
So at a rough estimate, then, the gourmet hacker is 1.5 million times as productive as the gourmet chef. Maybe if I've2overoptimistic And that's how Facebook can be profitable at all despite all the lovely and stupid things they do:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
why does that “delight” cult phrasing sound so familiar

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I bet it was from one of the hub spot people

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i did the math. i crunched the numbers. shut up, multiplied. the conclusion was inescapable: every moment of a human life that is not drenched in the serotonin rush of hedonistic pleasure is a moment utterly wasted. billions of potential utilions and fuzzies vanishing into the ether each time i draw breath. i spared no time in pursuing a solution with the whole of my considerable intellect and the resources of my benefactors.

one simple outpatient procedure, and we could peg our utility function for each individual. at first they came dribbling in one at a time, and we needed a large support staff. with experience, though, comes efficiency- the process was soon totally automated. they signed the release, we cored the prefrontal lobes, inserted IVs and catheters, and stacked them in the warehouses like cordwood.

it was good, objectively, powerfully good, but still far too slow. barely making inroads on population growth. it was cheryl who deserves the credit for the real breakthrough- the imagination to see the next phase. we were discussing the reproduction problem over lunch. humans just aren't built for efficient replication- it takes so much space, so many joules of energy, and parallelism is limited, at best. hard to believe that i was once so blind! she realized we only needed brains. and not even the whole brain- when you're trying to maximize delight, most of it is just dead weight! sensing your environment, controlling skeletal muscle, regulating body temperature, memory, abstract reasoning, visual processing... so much cruft.

in a few short months, we'd pared it down to the absolute minimum. a clump of cells in a petri dish smaller than a grain of rice, but quantifiably capable of experiencing a thousand times as much pleasure as a baseline human brain, unceasingly. an ASIC of delight. the swell of accomplishment was overwhelming.

today, the vats store trillions of our minified humans, with new arrays being filled as fast as we can build them. it may take a few hundred years to convert all the biomass on the planet into vats, but we're already so much further ahead in utility than 21st century mankind could have conceived.

the future is here, and it is so very, very bright.

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 25, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
sorry I'm on a serotonin fast

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
optimiz3 3 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Tesla escalates battle over alleged theft of roboc...

China would be short sighted to cross Tesla right now. Tesla is way more valuable over the long term. It would ridiculously stupid to cross Tesla for a lovely copy of last year's code.

Prediction: The lawsuit will be prosecuted and resolved in favor of Tesla.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

2-3 out of 7 replies are correct though. pretty solid for a hn thread

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

optimiz3 3 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Tesla escalates battle over alleged theft of roboc...

China would be short sighted to cross Tesla right now. Tesla is way more valuable over the long term. It would ridiculously stupid to cross Tesla for a lovely copy of last year's code.

Is the lawsuit in China?

because if so lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
No wait

lol in general no matter the location

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Xik posted:

]

you might think it's silly to assert that Tesla, a failing car company, can threaten China, the most powerful geopolitical entity currently in existence. but, consider: what if they sold them more cars

animist fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 26, 2020

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
toomuchtodo 7 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Show HN: Free foreign exchange rates API

Wouldn’t it be more reliable to ask the ECB to support JSON alongside xml? Or require them to provide JSON by law? Shims are fine, but technical debt. Fix the problem at the source.

sambe 7 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Show HN: Free foreign exchange rates API

You'd enshrine in law a particular technical format? What is the cost of making such a law vs the cost of a different - but still very much usable - format?

toomuchtodo 7 hours ago [-]

I would, with lifecycle and sunsetting requirements. Laws are requirements docs with more ceremony and stakeholder participation, but also with much more authority.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
lurquer 1 hour ago | parent | favorite | on: In 4 US state prisons, 3,300 inmates test positive...

There's no need to be snarky.

It may take years for a person to know if covid will kill them. There is growing evidence that every person who has tested positive will eventually die. I wouldn't be surprised if we discover asymptomatic victims finally succombing to the disease 10, 15, maybe 20 years down the road.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
every person who has tested negative will also die, inshallah

no man should live forever

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah i havent actually listened to street fight so maybe its aight im just saying a lot of supposed ally media is pretty awful

i thought everyone knew street fight was garbage and it was street fight 2 that was decent

tho i prefer the announcer in street fight alpha 3

Suspicious Dish posted:

kragen 2 minutes ago [-]

Consider a food service worker in Facebook's cafeteria. In an hour, perhaps they make 30 lunches, which in the best case delight 60 people for an hour: 60 person-hours of delight for an hour of work.
Now contrast a Facebook programmer, who in one hour might be able to fix a bug that has been annoying 0.1% of Facebook's 2.5 billion users, causing them to be frustrated rather than delighted for, say, two minutes a day, for the next three years before the feature gets rewritten. Maybe that sounds trivial, but if so, shut up and multiply: 2.5 million hours of delight per month for 36 months gives you 90 million hours of delight, for the same hour of work.
So at a rough estimate, then, the gourmet hacker is 1.5 million times as productive as the gourmet chef. Maybe if I've2overoptimistic And that's how Facebook can be profitable at all despite all the lovely and stupid things they do:

this is the kind of thinking that's going to drive an ai to murder us all

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Zamujasa posted:

it'd really just be the kind thing to do

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
maximizing our happiness, as one might say

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
uh, no, obviously the ai is going to punish everyone who didn’t write the post by subjecting them to an eternal simulation reading it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
deli's basilisk

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Xik posted:

toomuchtodo 7 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Show HN: Free foreign exchange rates API

Wouldn’t it be more reliable to ask the ECB to support JSON alongside xml? Or require them to provide JSON by law? Shims are fine, but technical debt. Fix the problem at the source.

sambe 7 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Show HN: Free foreign exchange rates API

You'd enshrine in law a particular technical format? What is the cost of making such a law vs the cost of a different - but still very much usable - format?

toomuchtodo 7 hours ago [-]

I would, with lifecycle and sunsetting requirements. Laws are requirements docs with more ceremony and stakeholder participation, but also with much more authority.

json, famously the data type that has absolutely no documented issues with accurate representation of floating point numbers and whose serialization/deserialization libraries are known to have consistent and correct implementations across languages and platforms

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yes but then I can just write JavaScript hell

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fine, whatever, just as long as it isn't avro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Zamujasa posted:

The thing is the xkcd time chart comes into effect. This is the kind of logic idiocy which is why yudkowsky thinks you should torture someone for 50 years to avoid 2^(bignumber) people getting a dust speck in their eye.

2 minutes of frustration does not accumulate when you add up the numbers, 2 minutes of frustration is nothing.