Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m a big fan of Ridley’s Alien commentary if only for all the technical detail that’s talked about. Fight Club has a funny one.

John McTiernan's Die Hard commentary and Michael Mann's Collateral commentary are both worth listening to for similar reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IUG posted:

Gravity Falls had secret in character commentary tracks for some of the episodes, but the best was a hidden episode where the main character Dipper finds a photo copier that can copy living things. He photocopies himself so there's like 8 clones running around. The secret commentary is just by the voice actor Jason Dipper who plays him talking about the episode, but as more Dippers show up, so do more copies of Jason Ritter to join the audio commentary.

Tell me the secret

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Tell me the secret

I already did. The regular commentary is just a commentary. But by finding a hidden object on the bluray menu for that episode, it kicks in the multi-Ritter audio commentary.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah what’s the object where do I find it lol. Details details!

When the show was airing I let everyone do the work for me haha.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm at work for the next 34 minutes and my wife is napping in front of the TV with the bluray player. But it was easy to find, just press the arrow keys in random directions on the menu for that episode until an object is highlighted. It won't take you more than 10 seconds to accidentally highlight it and play.

EDIT: Here it is with some others, stolen from a Reddit post:

quote:

Special Features Bonus Content: (Hover over specified option. Click in that direction. The cursor will change position and turn into an encoded letter. The letters spell ‘Gravity Falls’. Unknown if their position is important.)
Ian Worrel and Alex Hirsch draw the Mystery Shack from memory. (Shorts. Left.) (G)
Bill Cipher: “You clicked the wrong easter egg.” (TV Shorts. Right.) (R)
Alonso Ramirez Ramos and Matt Braly draw Dipper and Mabel. (Dipper’s Guide to the Unexplained: Stan’s Tattoo. Right.) (A)
Documentary bloopers. (Mabel’s Guide to Stickers. Right.) (V)
Brad Breeck shares the development of the theme song. (Fixin’ It With Soos: Cuckoo Clock.) (I)
The cast and crew’s favorite moments. (Mabel’s Scrapbook: Petting Zoo. Right.) (T)
Secret backwards message from Bill. He says that there is a hidden code somewhere and the key is “Inside Job”. (Gravity Paws. Right.) (Y)
Ariel Hirsch’s troll sweater. (McGucket’s Conspiracy Corner: Triangles. Left.) (F)
Crazy toys and a giant buffalo. (McGucket’s Conspiracy Corner: Cryptograms. Left.) (A)
Alex and Ariel’s summer journals. (‘Pocolypse Preppin’: Checkers. Left.) (L)
Alex Hirsch’s flannel jacket. (Shop at Home With Mr. Mystery: Deer Teeth. Left.) (L)
Bill sings. (Lost Mystery Shack Interviews: Zendaya from K.C. Undercover.) (S)
Secret Commentary: (Hover over ‘Play episode with commentary’ option for selected episode, and hit down.)
Double Dipper

Land Before Swine
Not What He Seems

IUG fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 25, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Lizard Combatant posted:

The audio commentary for Conan is good listening with friends and beer, if you want interesting tidbits from Milius and a stoned-out-of-his-gourd audio descriptive commentary from Schwarzenegger that is. Schwarzenegger also seems to regularly forget that Milius is speaking for the audience's benefit and keeps replying "I know" whenever a detail about production is mentioned.

tied for my favorite with cannibal the musical

conan seems like arnold had never actually seen the movie and this was his first go, him losing it when he punches the camel lol

cannibal is also amazing because they all get way too drunk as it goes on and start saying things they shouldn't like how the horse was named after trey's exgf as a dig to get back at her

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CPL593H posted:

Even the menu for the old DVD is great. As soon as you put it on you can just hear them having a conversation about the menu with Nigel reading the options and being completely confused by the concept of a DVD.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the Evil Dead movies have had multiple commentary tracks recorded over the years, but they're supposed to all be good because it's just Bruce Campbell being Bruce Campbell. The bonus DVD that came with the earlier release of the blu-ray is full of great special features with him and the cast talking about making the movie. It's not commentary stuff it's interviews and behind the scenes stuff and there's some clips of them doing Q+A at conventions.

the making of on army of dead was fantastic cuz he's very up front about how much the studio hosed with them and has a tone of gently caress it lets get into this..love bruce

i hate that none of the evil dead making ofs have any interviews with sam though. everyone else, no director.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Fans of Sleepaway Camp should listen to the commentary on the Scream Factory release with Felissa Rose and Jonathan Tierston and superfan Jeff Hayes. It's good, insightful, funny, and it's wonderful to hear how many of those actors stayed in touch and remain close friends all these years later.

Probably avoid the other two commentaries, though. They're awkward and lame.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Wet Hot American Summer used the commentary technology to just add lots of farts to the movie. This is the pinnacle of commentaries. I will brook no contrary arguments.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Best DVD menu is not for a movie: https://youtu.be/xpHb3uIkoiY

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The JFK commentary is one of my favorites. Just hours of Oliver Stone talking conspiracy.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

There is a site that reviews commentary tracks: Commentary Commentary

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Back before everyone had a podcast I used to burn commentary tracks to CD for extended drives.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ringu0 posted:

There is a site that reviews commentary tracks: Commentary Commentary

This rules.

I wish there were a place to download commentaries easily so I could listen to them while watching the movie on streaming.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

UCLA put up a restoration demo for Mystery of the Wax Museum ahead of the upcoming Blu-ray from Warner Archive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVrriovENz0

Same post house (Roundabout Entertainment) that handled the amazing restoration of Detour last year. Worth noting that "Mystery" survives only in the form of one single American print (found in the late 60s) and a French dubbed print found more recently. It'll be the second 2-color Technicolor feature to hit Blu-ray after King of Jazz.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Franchescanado posted:

This rules.

I wish there were a place to download commentaries easily so I could listen to them while watching the movie on streaming.

Not sure how close it gets to :filez: but there's a few YouTube channels that rip the audio and put it over stills of the movie so they escape copyright bots. It's an extra step, but you could get the audio via a YT Downloaded and go from there.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
:siren:CALIGULAMPREY:siren:

You can still get TerrorVision on the Shout Factory website. It'll even be a little cheaper than what it's listed at because there's a 15% off sale.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/terrorvision-the-video-dead-double-feature?product_id=2192

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CPL593H posted:

You can still get TerrorVision on the Shout Factory website. It'll even be a little cheaper than what it's listed at because there's a 15% off sale.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/terrorvision-the-video-dead-double-feature?product_id=2192

I bought that the other day, and man oh man, that's a fun movie. I didn't care for The Video Dead, but Terrorvision was something else.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For some reason I really enjoy the commentary track to Anvil: the Story of Anvil probably because the same enthusiasm is on display as in the actual documentary, though it is recorded right before the band's popularity really took off as a result of the film.

I think a fair amount of the Bond movie special edition commentaries might be the lamest cop outs. I know that Living Daylights was just the audio from old cast interviews cut over quasi relevant scenes in the film. Don't recall which other movies in the box set did this when they were unable to get some one to do live commentary.

And finally maybe I will go back and listen to the the Night at the Museum commentary track from the film writers. The first few minutes was them going "why would anyone want to listen to us, they must have slipped on the DVD remote." Had to go something else at the time but I got far enough in to find out it was adapted from a kid's book, sorta.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

just gotta wait for their fulfillment facility to get to packing up your order. I'm on week two of waiting.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I bought that the other day, and man oh man, that's a fun movie. I didn't care for The Video Dead, but Terrorvision was something else.

Oh the Video Dead is trash.

dorium posted:

just gotta wait for their fulfillment facility to get to packing up your order. I'm on week two of waiting.

I was giving him the heads up because I'm pretty sure they were sold out before. Plus with the current price and the additional sale discount it's going to be cheap. I ordered Sonny Boy yesterday and waiting a while doesn't bother me.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Turbinosamente posted:

And finally maybe I will go back and listen to the the Night at the Museum commentary track from the film writers. The first few minutes was them going "why would anyone want to listen to us, they must have slipped on the DVD remote." Had to go something else at the time but I got far enough in to find out it was adapted from a kid's book, sorta.

I mean, Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant from Reno 911 wrote those movies, so it’ll probably be a good time.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Man, I remember when I had money to buy things. :smith:

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Kinda tangential, but anyone got any recommendations as to a good external USB Blu-ray drive?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Kinda tangential, but anyone got any recommendations as to a good external USB Blu-ray drive?
This looks like the upgraded model of the one I've had for years that's always worked great for me.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Not sure this is still in production due to no prime logo but https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-XD07S-Slim-Portable-Burner/dp/B07ZQS3KDV is the one that ive been using for easily over 500 bluray rips so far

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sniep posted:

Not sure this is still in production due to no prime logo but https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-BDR-XD07S-Slim-Portable-Burner/dp/B07ZQS3KDV is the one that ive been using for easily over 500 bluray rips so far

I had one of those and it eventually died on me. Replaced it with this one from LG, which I've gotten a lot of use out of, especially since I've turned my old MacBook Pro into a "desktop" computer.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-BP50NB40-...tronics&sr=1-10

The one I have doesn't write Blu-ray discs, but it was this price, so it's an upgrade.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Egbert Souse posted:

I had one of those and it eventually died on me. Replaced it with this one from LG, which I've gotten a lot of use out of, especially since I've turned my old MacBook Pro into a "desktop" computer.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-BP50NB40-...tronics&sr=1-10

The one I have doesn't write Blu-ray discs, but it was this price, so it's an upgrade.

Nice, I'll prolly snag one for when this Pioneer drive eventually kicks it. it's so far the longest lasting drive i've used tho, i had some that would fart out after only 100 rips. thinking about it, this has prolly 600-800 on it so far - a real champ

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Why are doctor who seasons so expensive on Blu?! I need 11 and 12’s seasons damnit

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Why are doctor who seasons so expensive on Blu?! I need 11 and 12’s seasons damnit

No one needs Doctor Who season 12.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

No one needs Doctor Who

FTFY

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CPL593H posted:

No one needs Doctor Who season 12.

I mean the 12th doctors seasons. Not the 13th doctors seasons (which I already own, along with Tenants run and the first two of smiths, but am missing seasons 7, 8, 9, 10) their all at least $40 bucks. What the hell

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1255191032439939075

i just spent too much money

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

finally copped that Godard/Gorin box

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CRAYON posted:

i just spent too much money

:same:

(thanks!)

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

lol that my previous order from the Arrow's last sale hasn't even arrived yet and now Diabolik are having an Arrow sale.

lol at me for buying even more blus I don't need

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 28, 2020

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Universal just confirmed Spartacus on UHD for July 21st.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Egbert Souse posted:

Universal just confirmed Spartacus on UHD for July 21st.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Shout Factory Buckaroo Bonzai Blu is so great. The picture looks so good except for one effects shot near the end where they had to use an old spotty print.

Watching the >2 hour! documentary now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm trying to figure out what I want from the VS sale in a few weeks and I think I know most of the definites, but I'm on the fence about a bunch more. Anyone have strong opinions either way about any of these?

Deadline
The Passing
Beware My Brethren
Blood Hook
Blood Theatre/The Visitants
5 Films 5 Years Volume 2
Demon Wind
Red Mob
China Girl
The Undertaker
Deathrow Gameshow
The Vineyard