Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Shyrka posted:

Yeah maybe it's from reading too many self insert fanfics but I really like how Catarina consistently contextualises it as 'I got memories of a past life in Japan' rather than 'I got reincarnated in a magical fantasy world'.

Agreed. She feels like her own character rather than just a blank slate to one-shot all the baddies and gather all the harems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think the closest way to think about the previous life thing is she basically just gained her memories from an amnesia. Of course in this case its an entire life times worth of memories to a child so it affects her personality some. Like she lost any respect to the idea of being a noble because her previous life was a nerd with no respect toward anything. She isnt even that much better of a person now since most of her good acts are more motivated by fear of death.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

If nothing else she became less of a spoiled brat after gaining the memories - going from yelling at her maids for dressing her in the ribbon she chose, to waking from her injury worrying that she's caused people concern. Just as an impact of suddenly being a 17-year-old.

Heh, maybe she's so oblivious to the fact she has a harem already because in her own head she's 32 and they're all teenagers.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

Y'know going into this series I was concerned there'd be some dumb bit where the 'real' mean Katarina pops up and tries to make everything how it 'should' be, but so far they've dodged that bullet super well.
Yeah, things would get confusing if Katarina somehow fell in love with herself.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So turns out blonde prince dude is kinda rapey.

Is it OK to ask how big of a thing that becomes? Is this series going to be something I can safely watch with someone who has a history of sexual trauma?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So turns out blonde prince dude is kinda rapey.

Is it OK to ask how big of a thing that becomes? Is this series going to be something I can safely watch with someone who has a history of sexual trauma?

from the light novels it's more of inappropriate attempts at seduction that happen at least once, maybe twice more. What happens in this episode is about as far as the forceful behavior tends to go. Anyways, it never gets any further since one of the other guys (Keith, from what I can recall) finds out what's going on and starts objecting

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

el dorito posted:

from the light novels it's more of inappropriate attempts at seduction that happen at least once, maybe twice more. What happens in this episode is about as far as the forceful behavior tends to go. Anyways, it never gets any further since one of the other guys (Keith, from what I can recall) finds out what's going on and starts objecting

Thanks!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

well, no idea how the anime will handle this though.

Also, someone else please chime in because my memory isn't as good as it was and I didn't read the manga (too much) when the anime was announced.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If it follows the manga then I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The anime so far has followed the manga beat for beat.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Can't believe it only took Bakarina four episodes to unlock the harem ending.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Katarina basically barked at the nasty girls and snarfed up all the muffins off the ground. I wonder if Maria is a dog person.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Sindai posted:

Can't believe it only took Bakarina four episodes to unlock the harem ending.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I love how quickly Caterina forgot that she's jealous and afraid of Maria as soon as she gave her food.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bakarina train got no brakes.

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

I don't know if the student council president VA noticed but he pronounces his character's name as "Serious Dick". Immediately after saying it all the girls in the audience gasp and swoon. Amazing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Supersonic Shine posted:

Katarina basically barked at the nasty girls and snarfed up all the muffins off the ground. I wonder if Maria is a dog person.

This has been bothering me for a while, I assumed she was some sort of racoon because of the tree climbing, but yeah a dog fits Catarina better.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I love how she continually misses that the romance flags are being transferred to her.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Elfface posted:

Toy Snake for Best Girl

That drat toy snake is so good. I'll probably wait and catch the whole season later, but from the little clips I've seen on youtube it looks like a pretty good adaptation!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

I love how she continually misses that the romance flags are being transferred to her.

yeah, she's genre savvy enough to avoid her death flags but not enough that she's setting herself up for a yuri ending. The best ending

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cao Ni Ma posted:

yeah, she's genre savvy enough to avoid her death flags but not enough that she's setting herself up for a yuri harem ending. The best ending

Seriously, she is so dense that you could say not even light can escape her pull :v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

NowonSA posted:

That drat toy snake is so good. I'll probably wait and catch the whole season later, but from the little clips I've seen on youtube it looks like a pretty good adaptation!

It has been 100% faithful to the manga so far (which is probably the best version to adapt with how the novels like to jump around viewpoints.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

It got mentioned in episode 1(?) that she's afraid of dogs and they always chased her in her life in Japan. In episode 3 she was chased up a tree by a corgi. Maybe they chase her because they recognise their own?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Is it just me, or does Maria sound off-putting? I wouldn't attribute that voice to Maria, which so far is the only minor complaint i have about this excellent series.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Mokinokaro posted:

It has been 100% faithful to the manga so far (which is probably the best version to adapt with how the novels like to jump around viewpoints.)

The manga's all I'm familiar with, so that's good news to me.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It got mentioned in episode 1(?) that she's afraid of dogs and they always chased her in her life in Japan. In episode 3 she was chased up a tree by a corgi. Maybe they chase her because they recognise their own?

I refuse to remotely consider that Bakarina could be a bitch :colbert:.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Eeepies posted:

Is it just me, or does Maria sound off-putting? I wouldn't attribute that voice to Maria, which so far is the only minor complaint i have about this excellent series.

I actually really liked it and it was bugging me that it sounded so familiar so I looked the VA up. She's done a ton of stuff that shows some decent range but she's pretty much doing the same voice as she did for Visha in Youjo Senki. Personal opinion whether that works for you I guess.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Please god get gayer

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Roth posted:

Please god get gayer

Judging from the source material, god is listening.

Also, I am unaware about the manga, but the light novel has a section devoted to Anne. I'm not sure if it is going to be adapted, but I'm happy to discuss some Anne stories that would be around this point if people would be up for listening to them. I don't believe it will spoil any future plots as it's mostly about why Anne followed Katarina to the school and her relationship with her.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shyrka posted:

I actually really liked it and it was bugging me that it sounded so familiar so I looked the VA up. She's done a ton of stuff that shows some decent range but she's pretty much doing the same voice as she did for Visha in Youjo Senki. Personal opinion whether that works for you I guess.
Saori Hayami is pretty drat good. I don't know if I like her as much as Nao Toyama (Yui in My RomCom SNAFU, Celica in Fire Emblem), Aoi Yuuki (Madoka, Hibiki in Symphogear and Tanya in Youjo Senki) or even Maaya Uchida herself (Bakarina, Hiyori in Noragami, Sharena in Fire Emblem Heroes :kimchi:), but she's consistently good. Especially when she's allowed to unleash the ham even a little bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwNTy9Y_P5U

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

jimmydalad posted:

Judging from the source material, god is listening.

Also, I am unaware about the manga, but the light novel has a section devoted to Anne. I'm not sure if it is going to be adapted, but I'm happy to discuss some Anne stories that would be around this point if people would be up for listening to them. I don't believe it will spoil any future plots as it's mostly about why Anne followed Katarina to the school and her relationship with her.

The manga skips a lot of other perspectives the LN apparently has. Its mainly in Katarinas perspective. Considering the pace I assume anime will do the same.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Shyrka posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke is that literally every otome game protagonist is voiced by Saori Hayami, so it's no different here.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

super-redguy posted:

I'm pretty sure the joke is that literally every otome game protagonist is voiced by Saori Hayami, so it's no different here.

I didn't know that, but that's a good joke!

Honestly I really like Maria. I mean she's totally a perfect nice girl Mary Sue protagonist type, where you think she'd be kind of bland and thus less interesting than the more well rounded capture targets and rivals, but she still brings something to every scene she's in.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Eeepies posted:

Her voice is in a bit of a lower register than the one I'd given her in my head, yeah, but I wouldn't say it's a bad performance or anything.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shyrka posted:

I didn't know that, but that's a good joke!

Honestly I really like Maria. I mean she's totally a perfect nice girl Mary Sue protagonist type, where you think she'd be kind of bland and thus less interesting than the more well rounded capture targets and rivals, but she still brings something to every scene she's in.

Your post really got me thinkin' this a little deeper. This story does a good job of generally capturing the repercussions of how a (relatively) believable mary sue's attributes (particularly the "poor me" aspects and the capture target scenarios) would form the Maria we see today.

She is bland, but very believably bland.

Maria will get fleshed out immensely in the coming episodes, if the light novel beats are followed

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

Her voice is in a bit of a lower register than the one I'd given her in my head, yeah, but I wouldn't say it's a bad performance or anything.

I don't really like her voice but I'm sure it will grow on me

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I want to see more of Bakarina using her villainess character design to her advantage.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I love this gay disaster dumbass.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

imagine having Catarina as your daughter and getting a report card that says something like:

• Catarina Claes
  • 4th Grade
  • Teacher's note:
  • Consistently reads and comprehends literature at the 12th grade or higher, but difficult to keep her interest
  • Wonders aloud why the school library doesn't carry Danielle Steel

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

el dorito posted:

imagine having Catarina as your daughter and getting a report card that says something like:

• Catarina Claes
  • 4th Grade
  • Teacher's note:
  • Consistently reads and comprehends literature at the 12th grade or higher, but difficult to keep her interest
  • Wonders aloud why the school library doesn't carry Danielle Steel
  • Possibly has IBS! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure her parents think she got Brain Damage from the fall.

(Heck she might actually have Brain Damage)