Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Obama administration did a bunch of secret diplomacy to get Caro released from a Syrian torture prison, there was no loving way they'd arrest him once he gets back to the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what would he even be charged with? attempted anti-terrorism?

if he committed crimes they were on the soil of an antagonistic regime against a common enemy in front of witnesses that would cost millions of dollars to track down and present in court. and at the end of it he'd probably get off anyway because he did a lot of groundwork in establishing a history of severe mental illness.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

what would he even be charged with? attempted anti-terrorism?

if he committed crimes they were on the soil of an antagonistic regime against a common enemy in front of witnesses that would cost millions of dollars to track down and present in court. and at the end of it he'd probably get off anyway because he did a lot of groundwork in establishing a history of severe mental illness.

He didn't use proper punctuation sometimes. :colbert::redhammer:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would like to hear his story and would let him post if I knew he wanted to.

edit: he's not marked as perma'd so looks like someone freed him at some point

When he disappeared, it was obvious that he was dead, so his account was perma'd.
When his status was surprisngly updated from 'dead' to 'alive', his account was unperma'd, but he didn't start posting again.

There's a really well-researched article here;:
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/syria-isis-kevin-dawes

A GIP goon was interviewed for it.
TL;DR: he was nuts.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He still faked being a medic in a warzone. There is a nonzero chance someone died because he had no medical training thought YouTube qualifies as training for anything. loving up first aid because you want to play doctor is still murder.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He still faked being a medic in a warzone. There is a nonzero chance someone died because he had no medical training thought YouTube qualifies as training for anything. loving up first aid because you want to play doctor is still murder.

Probably manslaughter, not murder (IANAL). Caro's one of the few bits of SA crazy I just could never get into, so I only know the bits I get from threads like this. But seems like your point still stands, my pedantry aside. Like, I took some CPR classes a few years ago, but I'm not running around a warzone claiming to be an EMT.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
The whole Caro saga is really long and messy. Where would be the best place to start?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

The whole Caro saga is really long and messy. Where would be the best place to start?

Someone posted a video in the last week or so in this thread.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Grandmother of Five posted:

I don't know :sweatdrop: When I first heard about bread not being good for ducks, I looked up what you were meant to give them instead, and then learned that, where I am at, over-feeding and over-population is an issue, so the recommendation here is to not feed ducks in the wild, at all, and just enjoy watching them :) This could easily be different elsewhere, of course!

Near my local pond there is this signage, in order for pedestrians and cyclists to slow down and not scare the ducks & ducklings during duckling season, and this signage is very cute to me: https://i.imgur.com/zK4petm.jpg

Also, beware of sewer-ducks: https://i.imgur.com/K2fGPQn.jpg

yeah, i wanted to do something nice for them if possible, but i guess nature has that poo poo handled. i'll just let the ducks do their duck thing on their own. V:shobon:V

sorry for off topic, here are my own Duck Pix as apology

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Turpitude II posted:

yeah, i wanted to do something nice for them if possible, but i guess nature has that poo poo handled. i'll just let the ducks do their duck thing on their own. V:shobon:V

sorry for off topic, here are my own Duck Pix as apology

If only all forums derails came with a duck tax.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Photo taken about five minutes ago out my window. You might think this is one of those "nature is healing" things but it's a pretty common sight in this town because it's built around a good-sized lake and surrounded by wetlands. They've since moved on but last week the town was full of herons, pelicans, and loons that stop over when migrating.

I know there's a PYF Bird thread but for some reason I always find myself posting birds here.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Ducks are beautiful birds.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Charles posted:

I've fed chicken dog treats to crows. Is that wrong? Also I noticed people feed their chickens egg shells? Isn't that...auto-cannibalism?

feeding chicken shells to chickens is good calcium for making better shelled eggs, highly recommended.

feeding chickens bbq chicken is, er, well. They'll loving love it, but it's a bit weird ya know? Don't throw chicken bones in the chicken pen, it's like, weird, no matter how much they love it.

Nobody doesn't like bbq chicken, including chickens.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I would like to hear his story and would let him post if I knew he wanted to.

edit: he's not marked as perma'd so looks like someone freed him at some point

He started a bitcoin based blog when he "got back" and made two posts.

Bitcoin. Blog.

Haven't heard from him since.

If you pumped a quarter into him he'd probably speak. That's more than he made off his bitcoin blogs. Or, leave the poor bastard alone. Unless you're a publisher willing to pump him with more than quarters for his stories. Dude was really loving mentally ill before "the saga" started, and he's positively shattered now, and anything we do now would probably be interference with whatever treatment he's hopefully receiving.

The only good thing we could possibly do now that's not 100% evil is track down his parents, and give them money, if they have power of attorney and can force him to take treatment. Even that might be too much attention.

And even then they might not have POA. Some states are really lovely about granting it even though a person needs it. He might be back in legal control of his life, which is the absolute worst place for a schizophrenic that's undergone literal torture.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

If the article I posted was too long for you (why would it be? what else do you have to do on a Sunday on day 40 of a lockdown?)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Suggestion: don't.

He's a very ill man that did some very bad things because of his illness and suffered unimaginable consequences. There's video of him pretending to be a medic to wounded soldiers, there's videos of him pretending to be a counter-sniper.

It's way worse dirty laundry than any of the loving conspiracy theories that have arisin from this site.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MisterOblivious posted:

He's a very ill man that did some very bad things because of his illness and suffered unimaginable consequences. There's video of him pretending to be a medic to wounded soldiers, there's videos of him pretending to be a counter-sniper.

It's way worse dirty laundry than any of the loving conspiracy theories that have arisin from this site.

Is it pretending if you are really out there with a gun shooting literal bullets at someone shooting back?

I won't pretend he did anything good, either in terms of a good job or morally good, but he was really out there doing quite a bit of what he is accused of pretending to do.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Is it pretending if you are really out there with a gun shooting literal bullets at someone shooting back?

If you haven't been trained to do it, yep. You're just pretending with really good props.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Shut up Meg posted:

If the article I posted was too long for you (why would it be? what else do you have to do on a Sunday on day 40 of a lockdown?)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

Sorry, I didn't remember. Lots of posts, reading lots of threads, individual posts don't really stick in my head. Just wanted a link.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Proteus Jones posted:

If you haven't been trained to do it, yep. You're just pretending with really good props.

So it's impossible to do things you haven't been formally trained in. Check.

(I left medic out of my OP because that one does need some training)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RFC2324 posted:

So it's impossible to do things you haven't been formally trained in. Check.

Yep, you're right, training is worthless and nobody ever needs it to do anything.

Just burn down every school, they aren't needed!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Who What Now posted:

Yep, you're right, training is worthless and nobody ever needs it to do anything.

RFC2324 posted:

I won't pretend he did anything good, either in terms of a good job or morally good,

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Chickens will eat pretty much anything. They actually eat mice more reliably than some cats.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
My favorite goon saga is an endless circular argument between posters that agree on everything but define their terms differently.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Charles posted:

I've fed chicken dog treats to crows. Is that wrong? Also I noticed people feed their chickens egg shells? Isn't that...auto-cannibalism?

So, nutritionally, eggshells are great for them. Lots of calcium, lay good sturdy eggs. The big hazard is that you have to make sure the shells are smashed up so that they don't recognize them as "an egg", because if they realize that eggs are edible, they'll often start laying eggs and then immediately turning around and eating the eggs they just laid (along with everyone else's). Now, eggs are even better nutritionally -- they're full of everything a growing chick needs, after all -- but usually if you're keeping chickens, you want them to lay eggs so you can eat them.

Ethically, it's not as bad as out and out cannibalism, and that's something most chickens will engage in without hesitation.

Since chickens are considered prey by many animals (including us), are usually fed grain and vegetable scraps (or commercial feed), and rarely attack humans or other livestock, there's a tendency to think of them as docile herbivores, but they really aren't; they're vicious backyard dinosaurs and will happily supplement that grain diet with insects, amphibians, reptiles, rodents (including mice and rats, and chipmunks if they can catch them), and while they're not usually in a position to catch birds, they will eat bird meat if they can get it.

In conclusion,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtuoHyLEiw&t=22s

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

My favorite goon saga is an endless circular argument between posters that agree on everything but define their terms differently.

It's not an argument, it's a series of non-contradictions.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

without semantics, we really would become an echo chamber

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Who What Now posted:

That's so obviously not his point I'd have been shocked if you'd responded in any other way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's incredibly weird to act like learning about something is endorsement of it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pick posted:

It's incredibly weird to act like learning about something is endorsement of it.

But it's a super common part of internet discourse, usually by people trying to deflect from when they didn't know something. "Oh, you're telling me that [thing] is a white supremacist meme? Hmmm strange how you know that."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Moon Slayer posted:

But it's a super common part of internet discourse, usually by people trying to deflect from when they didn't know something. "Oh, you're telling me that [thing] is a white supremacist meme? Hmmm strange how you know that."

Hmmm strange how you know that...

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Proteus Jones posted:

Also this is dumb.

Edit: No, I will sign my posts.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what it was like for reality to shift from "I'll help out by delivering some medicine" to "without my skill as a field surgeon soldiers will die" in the span of a year.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Hmmm strange how you know that...

Hogge Wild used to do it all the time. Someone would say something like "oh yeah I think that's from an anime, don't really remember the title" and he'd Kramer in to go "how did you know it's from an anime, pedophile?" and then report them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
RFC, what is your point, regarding Caro? You seem weirdly defensive of him and the actions he took

Yes, he was indeed just pretending. Playing at being medic and at being soldier because that's what his broke brain demanded he do, and for his trouble he got his own personal suite in a hell on earth until they managed to get him out of there. People very likely died as a result of his actions, either because he didn't know what he was doing, or because pointing and shooting isn't particularly difficult. What, again, is the point you are trying to make about him?

I wouldn't wish that he went through on my worst enemy, but he is not a good person nor was he a victim of circumstance. He deliberately set out to put himself into that area.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moon Slayer posted:

I watched the act of killing where they interview people who were involved in the violence in Indonesia in the 60s, v problematic to know about that if you ask me . crimes are for silence.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As profoundly sick as he obviously was I don't think it's fair call Caro either good or bad. It is impossible to know which aspects of whatever he has for a moral code came naturally and which were delusions. Was he born a killer or did Schizophrenia come along one day and inform him he's always been a killer?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

RFC, what is your point, regarding Caro? You seem weirdly defensive of him and the actions he took

Yes, he was indeed just pretending. Playing at being medic and at being soldier because that's what his broke brain demanded he do, and for his trouble he got his own personal suite in a hell on earth until they managed to get him out of there. People very likely died as a result of his actions, either because he didn't know what he was doing, or because pointing and shooting isn't particularly difficult. What, again, is the point you are trying to make about him?

I wouldn't wish that he went through on my worst enemy, but he is not a good person nor was he a victim of circumstance. He deliberately set out to put himself into that area.

MisterOblivious posted:

RFC2324 posted:

I won't pretend he did anything good, either in terms of a good job or morally good, but he was really out there doing quite a bit of what he is accused of pretending to do.

MisterOblivious says he pretended to do something, RFC read that "pretending" as suggesting caro staged it or it was faked in some way and is saying he actually did go and participate in real things. It doesn't seem in any way defensive or endorsing Caro's actions or saying he was a "real" medic/sniper in the sense of being trained or competent, but "real" in the sense of he literally did those things rather than making some fake videos or stories.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crimpolioni posted:

That's so obviously not his point I'd have been shocked if you'd responded in any other way.

I thought his joke was wildly misrepresenting who he was quoting, so I was playing along.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
You are not pretending to be a soldier when you absolutely know you are a soldier.

I refuse to believe he was just a weird thrill seeker. Only having an adventure at war? Maybe, dumb dudes have done that forever. But the doctor poo poo? Risking cutting on armed men very far from home who are not going to laugh it off when it becomes obvious you don't know what you're doing? I can't seem to find any info on a formal diagnosis I'm leaning away from sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Rando posted:

You are not pretending to be a soldier when you absolutely know you are a soldier.

I refuse to believe he was just a weird thrill seeker. Only having an adventure at war? Maybe, dumb dudes have done that forever. But the doctor poo poo? Risking cutting on armed men very far from home who are not going to laugh it off when it becomes obvious you don't know what you're doing? I can't seem to find any info on a formal diagnosis I'm leaning away from sanity.

The formal diagnosis was an acute case of ligma.