Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Vinyl records also came in funny shapes. This was the coolest one I owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least that only spun at 33.3 RPM and was sitting on a mat. No chance of it exploding and ripping apart your 300 dollar record player.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had one that was Darth Vader's head that was just the Imperial March.

Cojawfee posted:

At least that only spun at 33.3 RPM and was sitting on a mat. No chance of it exploding and ripping apart your 300 dollar record player.

That's kind of what happened. I was showing it off to a friend and i put it in my stereo and started it and instantly heard a big CRACK and the thing had broken apart. I managed to get all the pieces out so I could still use it, but I could never put a cd in the 1st spot on the tray.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cojawfee posted:

Those are at least symmetrical so they wouldn't be ripping themselves apart in your drive.

I've ripped apart circular disks before, it was like throwing a rock into a lawn mower and locked up the whole pc

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I vaguely recall having a CD shaped like a circular sawblade, like, I think a PC Gamer demo disc or something?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Peanut Butler posted:

I vaguely recall having a CD shaped like a circular sawblade, like, I think a PC Gamer demo disc or something?

i took a quick peek at google and the first that popped up for 'sawblade cd' was a ramones album

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I've ripped apart circular disks before, it was like throwing a rock into a lawn mower and locked up the whole pc

Brood War exploded in my drive one day, that was a sudden and loud noise.

Though not as bad as when a Dreamcast game jumped off the spindle, which then proceed to act like a (woodworking) router across the surface of the disc. That was a truly hideous noise and boy howdy was that disc hosed.

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD

Arrath posted:

Brood War exploded in my drive one day, that was a sudden and loud noise.

Though not as bad as when a Dreamcast game jumped off the spindle, which then proceed to act like a (woodworking) router across the surface of the disc. That was a truly hideous noise and boy howdy was that disc hosed.

had the same thing happen with a bf1942 disc, i had one of those 54x drives that they sold briefly, the drive was bulgy everywhere and had chunks of cd embedded in the metal casing

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just lol if you were unfortunate enough to be an early adopter for those 72x cd drives, that poo poo went fast enough to tear a hole in reality

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Never knew there were CDs that sabotaged themselves 48 hours after opening the packaging. Holy poo poo.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Unperson_47 posted:

Never knew there were CDs that sabotaged themselves 48 hours after opening the packaging. Holy poo poo.

You may enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccneE_gkSAs

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

What's more mind-boggling about this is that after this failed, they tried it again 5 years later when Redbox and Netflix (by mail) was an option.

i kind of want one of these discs.

edit: They went hogwild on the patents for self-destructing discs, too - even ones activated by G-forces of the disc being spun. (that may just be bullshit language to more broadly cover more under the patent, however)

Thanks for the video! That was a fun watch.

Unperson_47 has a new favorite as of 22:22 on Apr 25, 2020

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I've been reading through old copies of New Scientist on Google Books and there's some great stuff in there. This article is particularly interesting. When I used to buy used vinyl I noticed that the stuff from the 80s was noticeably lower quality than the older stuff, and here it is explained exactly why. The TL;DR is obvious - the record companies skimped on everything to make as much money as possible, and then when sales of vinyl started to fall, they threw a hissy fit about home taping. When the article was written they were lobbying for a "very high" levy on blank cassettes of as much as £5 per tape (about £20 in today's money!).

The article also points out that if the British record pressing industry can't manage to produce a decent LP, there was no chance of them ever achieving the precision necessary to make CDs.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

For the ultimate in record company cheapness you can't do better than the one-sided single.

Singles (45s) were already cheap and crappy sounding, but one-sided singles were half pressed, with the B side being a texture instead of a song. As a result the A side sounded even worse than a usual 45.

I purchased mostly 45s when I was a teenager, but even I only ever purchased one of these. Might have been "Pressure" by Bill Joel. I threw all of my records out last year so I can't be sure.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Ha, that's shameless. Even just stamping the same track on both sides would have been better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why did it make it worse than normal?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think the pressing was weighted toward the textured side, so that the A side was shallower than normal. Needle skipped much more easily out of the groove, and the sound was even thinner than on a usual 45.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Cojawfee posted:

Why did it make it worse than normal?

Well, for one, the other side had "Pressure" by Billy Joel on it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CPColin posted:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Dick Trauma posted:

For the ultimate in record company cheapness you can't do better than the one-sided single.

Singles (45s) were already cheap and crappy sounding, but one-sided singles were half pressed, with the B side being a texture instead of a song. As a result the A side sounded even worse than a usual 45.

I purchased mostly 45s when I was a teenager, but even I only ever purchased one of these. Might have been "Pressure" by Bill Joel. I threw all of my records out last year so I can't be sure.

I have one of those - Santana "Hold On".

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Furnok Dorn posted:

had the same thing happen with a bf1942 disc, i had one of those 54x drives that they sold briefly, the drive was bulgy everywhere and had chunks of cd embedded in the metal casing

I never had a CD explode on me, but I bore witness to one that blew up in a Pentium D-powered HP Compaq desktop. The PC survived, but the CD drive was toast.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

When I was a little kid I got a book called Mouth Sounds and it came with a record bound inside the book. The page was perforated, thin and flexible. It worked fine though, I thought it was amazing. The original "CD-ROM Included"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

CPColin posted:

:redass:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I was going to be that guy, but Pressure is a lovely Billy Joel song.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I was going to be that guy, but Pressure is a lovely Billy Joel song.

No need to turn the tap dance into your crusade. Sheesh!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

No need to turn the tap dance into your crusade. Sheesh!

I had to Google that to see if those were lyrics from the song because that's like the only song on his greatest hits album I always skip.

Still, :golfclap:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Vinyl records also came in funny shapes. This was the coolest one I owned.

This is what my dumb brain thought that was for a split-second:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

My post got eaten but I too thought of Sinistar.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Dick Trauma posted:

like 10 years back i was trying to set up a 1210 ~as exact as possible~ and went on google to find out how to get the anti skate right. the first result told me to find a record with a blank b-side and to adjust the knob until the moves neither inward nor outward when playing the empty side

havent found a blank record yet, they all have some weird texture like that one

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Aix posted:

like 10 years back i was trying to set up a 1210 ~as exact as possible~ and went on google to find out how to get the anti skate right. the first result told me to find a record with a blank b-side and to adjust the knob until the moves neither inward nor outward when playing the empty side

Do you have any flexidiscs? Some of mine were smooth on one side.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aix posted:

"Psycho Commander" by Born Bavarian is a single-sided 7". I think I also have a single-sided 10" but gently caress if I can remember what it is at all.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

taqueso posted:

When I was a little kid I got a book called Mouth Sounds and it came with a record bound inside the book. The page was perforated, thin and flexible. It worked fine though, I thought it was amazing. The original "CD-ROM Included"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexi_disc

These were quite popular in the 60s and 70s but had more or less disappeared by about 1990. They sounded terrible, but they were cheap and could be attached to pretty much anything - I had a couple from the early 80s that were cut from the back or cereal boxes.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Speaking of obsolete things, I remember getting flexi-discs bound into the SUPER SPECIAL quarterly editions of MAD magazine. IIRC, they were a PITA to play on my record player.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexi_disc

These were quite popular in the 60s and 70s but had more or less disappeared by about 1990. They sounded terrible, but they were cheap and could be attached to pretty much anything - I had a couple from the early 80s that were cut from the back or cereal boxes.

I remember my Flexi of "Billy and the Boingers" (Mucky Pup) "You Stink But I love You" from a Bloom County Book. I can't remember the B-Side.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Flexi whale songs, thx National Geographic.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The McDonalds contest Flexi Disc that came in the newspaper was neat, I still have a vague memory of getting one as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXC4TXexrLI

https://news.avclub.com/in-1988-mcdonald-s-released-a-maddening-1-000-000-me-1798247206

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I had the National Geographic whale one, and my brother had "Goin' Back to Indiana" from the back of a cereal box.

EDIT: IT'S ON DISCOGS :lol:

https://www.discogs.com/Jackson-5ive-Goin-Back-To-Indiana/release/5872857

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Vanagoon posted:

The McDonalds contest Flexi Disc that came in the newspaper was neat, I still have a vague memory of getting one as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXC4TXexrLI

https://news.avclub.com/in-1988-mcdonald-s-released-a-maddening-1-000-000-me-1798247206

Cool, thanks.

What's is that the lyrics are 32 years old, yet not obsolete.

quote:

Big Mac, Mc DLT, a Quarter-Pounder with some cheese, Filet-O-Fish, a hamburger, a cheeseburger, a Happy Meal. McNuggets, tasty golden french fries, regular or larger size, and salads: chef salad or garden, or a chicken salad oriental. Big Big Breakfast, Egg McMuffin, hot hot cakes, and sausage. Maybe biscuits, bacon, egg and cheese, a sausage, danish, hash browns too. And for dessert hot apple pies, and sundaes three varieties, a soft-serve cone, three kinds of shakes, and chocolatey chip cookies. And to drink a Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, and orange drink, A Sprite and coffee, decaf too, A lowfat milk, also an orange juice. I

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Does anyone do hidden tracks/songs anymore? How would they even be done?

The two I've personally encountered are Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief LP which had 2 grooves on one side, and Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf CD which had a hidden song that some players could access by rewinding the first track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Aix posted:

My Adam Savage 45 is smooth on one side