Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Im going to CES this year. Hope I get to see this

https://technuovo.com/epson-ef-100b-portable-projector-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Did something happen to cause prices to shoot up? I missed out on buying a 2050a for $599 a month or so ago, and then it was at $649 for a while and I was close to pulling the trigger, it's only $50... and then it shot up to $749 and it seems like a lot of comparable projectors went up as well.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Tariffs? Maybe with CES prices will drop on last years models.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My JVC X700R has treated me well. But I have decided to move on to a JVC NX7, and well. Holy gently caress is this thing a monster. I haven't even calibrated it, I just did a firmware update for frame by frame HDR tone mapping and I'm stunned on how amazing this thing is.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I've been waffling on purchase for a long time now... and I think I've waffled my way from buying a $700 projector to buying a ~$1300 projector (Epson 3200 or 3800). Mainly because of the significant lens shift features that will help a lot with my placement.

Someone talk me out of it... or in.

Also, I had planned on going 120" but aside from my SO thinking that's too big, I'm also waffling on that because of my limited ceiling height (82") meaning that there will be little room below the screen for my center channel. It would be very close to the floor. If I do 110, I gain about 5 more inches. Thoughts?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 5, 2020

Bolt
Dec 14, 2004
k

Elysium posted:

So I've been waffling on purchase for a long time now... and I think I've waffled my way from buying a $700 projector to buying a ~$1300 projector (Epson 3200 or 3800). Mainly because of the significant lens shift features that will help a lot with my placement.

Also, I had planned on going 120" but aside from my SO thinking that's too big, I'm also waffling on that because of my limited ceiling height (82") meaning that there will be little room below the screen for my center channel. It would be very close to the floor. If I do 110, I gain about 5 more inches. Thoughts?

Go big and use a soundbar for your center channel. With a 4k projector there's little reason not to.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is interested in my JVC X700R I can yank it off ebay and put it in the for sale forum for $1600.
It isn't naitive 4k, but it is E-shift and I have a BT2020 profile loaded in it. Nobody can beat the blacks of the JVC and that is what really makes a home theater shine.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My JVC X700R has treated me well. But I have decided to move on to a JVC NX7, and well. Holy gently caress is this thing a monster. I haven't even calibrated it, I just did a firmware update for frame by frame HDR tone mapping and I'm stunned on how amazing this thing is.

Nice! We just finished building our house and I am looking at the nX5. You done any gaming on the nx7?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ExCruceLeo posted:

Nice! We just finished building our house and I am looking at the nX5. You done any gaming on the nx7?

Soon. I didn't have to change my audio lag from the 700R which is playable, but not super great at 120ms. Which is fine for console gaming but difficult for PC FPS. However from my understanding there is a game mode for the NX series.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Ok, so I ended up getting the Epson 3200. Haven't really tested it much because my space is still under construction, but the pattern screen looks nice, and projecting at 120 seems like a great size.

So my plan all along was to put the projector behind the wall, and the Epson is great for this because it projects to the middle of the screen, and has a ton of lens shift. So I can just place it upright on a shelf I made behind the wall and shift the image wherever I want, projecting through a nice circular hole.

Like so (note, not exactly to scale and not the exact projector):

However when I was hatching this plan I failed to take into account something fairly important. This projector has it's exhaust vent on the front. This seems to be a real pain in my rear end and if the exhaust was in the back I would already be done.

My desired placement means it's venting right into the small cavity I made to slide the lense into position. It's not completely enclosed because of the hole in the front and the space around the projector, but Epson recommends 8" of clearance around the vent.

If I pull the projector back this far, I can no longer project through my circular hole in the front, and I would likely have to create a much larger rectangular hole to get the clearance I need for the picture, which wouldn't look as good and would let more noise through.

Is this a crazy theory to add exhaust space behind the wall:

or should I just try some sort of front vent?

maybe something like this?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 14, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Go Full Grovermasterj and cut notches into the joists so that the front part of the projector hangs out.

Real response: even with the grille, i'd be worried about hot air pooling around the unit.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 15, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Leave the projector where it is and move the house foundation 12 inches.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Just be aware that you don't want any of that heat moving in front of the lens. The vents on projectors are engineered just right so that heat doesn't pass into the light path, if the heat does get into the light path you will see heat waves on the image.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ExCruceLeo posted:

You done any gaming on the nx7?

Finally played some Death Stranding on it and well, I didn't realize that the input lag was drastically reduced. Plays much nicer.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I finally got everything together (the bulk of the challenge was refinishing the entire basement, walls, carpet, etc). I settled on a simple open shelf/cubby for the projector for now. It just vents out the front and is definitely audible when nothing is playing, but you don't notice if there is any sound.

I did actually mount the screen after taking these pictures (by myself!). I created a removable blackout board for the window in the back. I don't really have anything to compare it to projector wise, so I can't much comment on the quality of the image, but it is certainly big, and bright as gently caress. Is it too big? Who knows, maybe. Casual TV watching will be interesting. The amount of lens shift from this projector (the main reason I picked it) was pretty key in getting it projected where I wanted. I think it would have been a loving nightmare trying to ceiling mount a projector through the cubby and get it aligned correctly.

The only sound system I have at the moment is some hand me down stuff (the reciever has S-video and Component inputs... lol) and a handy cinder block, but hey it plays sound. One thing I've noticed browsing home cinema stuff is that people seem 98% concerned with the sound system compared to anything else and put in the budgets to match. Kind of boggles my mind, I just want to watch big movies you know?

I booted this up for a few minutes and it was pretty awesome:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Any LED/Laser projectors worth it yet? Finally bought a house with a space for a projector.

Still chugging along with the LG PA70G led jobbie I got 7-8 years ago. Not the brightest with 700lumens but it’s worked well enough for me, but if there’s something brighter and higher res (stuck at 720p) and with zoom/lens shift that I can also use as a TV replacement, I’m all ears. Not a gamer so responsiveness isn’t a big deal.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
So I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with the black levels/contrast I'm getting. How much of that do you think is due to the white ceiling? Painting it dark got vetoed. This video kind of blew me away: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1692721894385217

Could I get some of that same effect with just like a few feet of velvet on the ceiling?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
If you have any dark bed sheets or enough dark towels you could probably use that for a rough idea.

It makes sense though, same basic principle as putting a dark material around the edges of the screen itself to minimize reflections.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Elysium posted:

I ended up doing a 150" screen (basement ceiling is only 7" but I'm still happy I went that big); it's basically from the floor to the ceiling.

I got around the speaker issue by simply using in-ceiling speakers. Many basements use drop ceilings (due to how often you need to go up in them to wire the house for new outlets and stuff) so you can try that if it's an option. You can also put an in-the-wall speaker behind the projector screen. Some might find it sacrilegious or something but it's just carrying dialogue; plus you can tell your receiver to make that speaker louder than the rest.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
If you check the above pictures, I went with 120 and actually ended up with a fair amount of room for the center channel (which is now mounted on a small shelf instead of a cinder block). I mean I'm sure it's terrible positioning by audio standards that I don't care about at all, but it seems fine.

I'm actually considering moving the screen down a few inches because it's so close to the ceiling and I think it would be a slightly better viewing angle a little lower.

Also, I'm going to try to black velvet on the ceiling to help with contrast issues, but I'm kind of regretting not getting a refurb 5040ub instead of the 3200. I'm already outside the return window because I ordered it very early to help with set up/construction issues before I could ever really test it out.

These photos illustrate my ceiling issues:

Ok (but not great) blacks where the top of the screen is showing a dark image:

Obvious washout whenever the ceiling is reflecting something bright:

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 11, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

You can also put an in-the-wall speaker behind the projector screen. Some might find it sacrilegious or something but it's just carrying dialogue; plus you can tell your receiver to make that speaker louder than the rest.
Certainly not sacrilegious, that's actually how the front speakers at most movie theaters work, but they have acoustically transparent screen materials (which are also somewhat actually transparent, as you might notice if the lighting is just right). You can get these kinds of materials for home theater use too, but they aren't cheap and do require a bit more light plus consideration for absorbing the light that passes through and preventing it from reflecting back out during normal viewing..

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Elysium posted:

One thing I've noticed browsing home cinema stuff is that people seem 98% concerned with the sound system compared to anything else and put in the budgets to match. Kind of boggles my mind, I just want to watch big movies you know?

Well the big movies lose the imapct of the bigness if the sound isn't comparable! :)

That being said I've got Orb Audio speakers in my movie room (~10 x 12) and they are more than adequate with a 10" sub.

Regarding your washout issues, typically you would base your screen material both on the projector's power and your viewing distance, but also your ambient light situation. I'm in a similar situation to you (veto on the dark ceiling even though we literally just watch movies in the space and it's in the basement...) so the only real solution is an Ambient Light Rejecting (ALR) screen with a gain of <1. I bought the 3700 from the Epson Clearance website a few years ago (and even put it in a port in my wall like you did) and it's definitely bright. I haven't been bothered enough by the contrast to get an ALR screen, but after a tonne of research and chatting on the AVS forums it's clear that that's the best solution. I will probably try a DIY painted screen over the summer to see how much of a difference it makes, because I wasn't satisfied with the samples I ordered (Elite screens I think, and Carl's)... they are very sparkly from certain angles.

If you want to see the kind of magic an ALR screen can do... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-4E8qU_dxQ
this provides a good overview of screen material selection - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6dYwRezAM

edit: pasted wrong link originally

Guitarchitect fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 24, 2020

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Are any of the low end projectors worth half a poo poo? We're idly curious about something we can use to watch movies outside after the sun goes down. Main use would be projecting from our parking space onto the brick wall next door, maybe with a 50 or 60 inch screen, and we'd be using an external Bluetooth speaker for sound if at all possible.

I see a bunch of Ali Express poo poo on Amazon, anybody know if any of those brands are gonna be better than any others? Any reason to go with a "name brand" insignia projector from Best buy, even if it's probably just a rebadged Ali Express model?

Hoping to keep it under $200 with the full understanding that that price point is going to come with extreme limitations, and that's ok

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Stalizard posted:

Are any of the low end projectors worth half a poo poo? We're idly curious about something we can use to watch movies outside after the sun goes down. Main use would be projecting from our parking space onto the brick wall next door, maybe with a 50 or 60 inch screen, and we'd be using an external Bluetooth speaker for sound if at all possible.

I see a bunch of Ali Express poo poo on Amazon, anybody know if any of those brands are gonna be better than any others? Any reason to go with a "name brand" insignia projector from Best buy, even if it's probably just a rebadged Ali Express model?

Hoping to keep it under $200 with the full understanding that that price point is going to come with extreme limitations, and that's ok

Stretch your budget to this

ViewSonic 3600 Lumens SVGA High Brightness Projector for Home and Office with HDMI Vertical Keystone and 1080p Support (PA503S) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G5H5Q1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jJJPEbEQNF9VM

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Opinions?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BP1jFM
My friend is thinking of buying this to watch movies. He'll be putting it in a spare bedroom, so he has maybe a 3-metre distance between the projector and the wall. He can't buy an OHP because it's not his house. How does the Android compatibility work?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Spermando posted:

Opinions?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BP1jFM
My friend is thinking of buying this to watch movies. He'll be putting it in a spare bedroom, so he has maybe a 3-metre distance between the projector and the wall. He can't buy an OHP because it's not his house. How does the Android compatibility work?

dont do it. I doubt anyone here has taken a chance on one of those. For a couple hundred more, you can get a more reputable brand with a proven track record. (BenQ, Viewsonic, Epson). Look at my previous post, just before yours.

And no way that thing is 6500 lumens.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 1, 2021

IbrahimSom
May 30, 2020

by Pragmatica
I recently bought the Benq mh535 fhd and I'm satisfied with it as a monitor and tv replacement. I endorse this product. I bought it refurbished for $379 off of BenQ's website.

I can't wait for 4k projectors to come down to that price range as I've never experienced 4k except in theaters.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

IbrahimSom posted:

I recently bought the Benq mh535 fhd and I'm satisfied with it as a monitor and tv replacement. I endorse this product. I bought it refurbished for $379 off of BenQ's website.

I can't wait for 4k projectors to come down to that price range as I've never experienced 4k except in theaters.

Make sure you sit really close

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Recently rearranged my bedroom, and the one problem with the new layout is there’s nowhere to put the projector. But there is a perfect blank wall right in front of the bed. A little MacGuyver’ing later and, voila

Benq1070 + shower mirror + cardboard + toothpick = homemade ultra short throw projector. Sure, I’ve got the keystone correction set to the max and it’s still pretty skewed, but it’s good enough for watching Frasier or Simpsons reruns before I go to sleep.

Is there any actual product out there to achieve what I’m doing here, ideally with better results?

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

A tv?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
1) I don't want to have to spend a few hundred dollars on a TV when I already have a perfectly good projector that will go unused otherwise.

2) I'd also have to buy a TV stand or dresser or something to put the TV on, which won't fit well in that spot and also costs $$$.

3) Mounting a TV on that wall is not an option for a few reasons.

4) It's stupid, but I like not having a TV in the bedroom, while still having the option to watch TV in the bedroom. I'm only ever watching TV in there at night so ambient light is not a problem, and it's very nice having a "TV" that disappears when not in use.

5) This was basically just a proof of concept and now that it works I've ordered a better mirror to hopefully have something a little more permanent and maybe a little less skewed. I was just wondering if some company made like a pre-made snap-on mirror apparatus for this specific purpose, but a little googling has showed me that this is not a thing.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 22, 2020

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i’m fixing up a compaq mp1200 projector somebody gave me because i’m trying to project movies on the side of my house. i’m aware this is a money sink but i’m gonna run audio through a bluetooth speaker, i really don’t give a poo poo about video quality since it is the side of a house. gonna hang a white sheet. what’s my price point for a garbage 720p projector??

edit this is local craigslist it seems to do the trick

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d/waltham-sanyo-plv-z5-720p-projector/7159336606.html

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 15, 2020

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Casual Encountess posted:

i’m fixing up a compaq mp1200 projector somebody gave me because i’m trying to project movies on the side of my house. i’m aware this is a money sink but i’m gonna run audio through a bluetooth speaker, i really don’t give a poo poo about video quality since it is the side of a house. gonna hang a white sheet. what’s my price point for a garbage 720p projector??

edit this is local craigslist it seems to do the trick

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ele/d/waltham-sanyo-plv-z5-720p-projector/7159336606.html

What amount of money would you spend on weed/booze/hookers to entertain you and your friends for an evening? double that and round up to the nearest 50 then buy what ever recognised brand you can find at that price point.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

turns out this lil compaq mp2800 is needs suiting af

turns out all i had to do was use dvi instead of vga and this is an extremely acceptable image quality for my ceiling with my window blinds not even a little down.

carry on nerds, i’m not in this for home theater quality

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Cornjob posted:

Stretch your budget to this

ViewSonic 3600 Lumens SVGA High Brightness Projector for Home and Office with HDMI Vertical Keystone and 1080p Support (PA503S) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G5H5Q1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_jJJPEbEQNF9VM

Just chiming in to thank you for this post. After a couple weeks of fruitless online comparison shopping, I wound up just biting the bullet on this one. Thirty bucks for a cloth screen and another thirty for some PVC and we've built the best outdoor corona theater in 3 counties.

Had a couple and their kid come over, chill in the backyard for an hour or so all socially distanced, then fired it up. The image was spectacular. Not washed out, not blurry, even during action scenes. Like, I never knew a projector could look this good. I'm sure there are far better ones out there, but this is like upgrading from a 13" RCA to a 5' plasma for us.

Watched Wreck It Ralph cast from my phone to a chromecast dongle in the back of the projector. Next week is the Goonies. I really want to do Close Encounters soon, I think it'll be a good outdoors movie.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
What should I be expecting to spend if I want a cheap projector to play movies/games on a bedsheet attached to my backyard fence during parties? Any model recommendations?

Edit: just saw the ViewSonic recommendation in the post above mine

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Toebone posted:

What should I be expecting to spend if I want a cheap projector to play movies/games on a bedsheet attached to my backyard fence during parties? Any model recommendations?

Edit: just saw the ViewSonic recommendation in the post above mine

Yes, i was just about to say “ read the post literally just before yours” :-)

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

fischtick posted:

Just chiming in to thank you for this post. After a couple weeks of fruitless online comparison shopping, I wound up just biting the bullet on this one. Thirty bucks for a cloth screen and another thirty for some PVC and we've built the best outdoor corona theater in 3 counties.

Had a couple and their kid come over, chill in the backyard for an hour or so all socially distanced, then fired it up. The image was spectacular. Not washed out, not blurry, even during action scenes. Like, I never knew a projector could look this good. I'm sure there are far better ones out there, but this is like upgrading from a 13" RCA to a 5' plasma for us.

Watched Wreck It Ralph cast from my phone to a chromecast dongle in the back of the projector. Next week is the Goonies. I really want to do Close Encounters soon, I think it'll be a good outdoors movie.

👍🏻

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I used to live in a tiny studio with white walls. I used an Anker Nebula Mars II and it worked pretty well.

I just moved to a bigger place with soft blue walls that the owner really really does not want me to paint. I’m guessing they would color shift any projection too much. I tried buying a 55” TV but it feels tiny, and I hate having a big black box looming in the room all of the time.

I’m thinking of going back to projection and getting a pull-up screen to hide behind furniture, but I’m having a hard time finding a good vendor or reviews. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

Hi goons, need advice.

I've got a home projector setup worked out that I've been using for a couple of months now, but it's starting to aggravate me. I'm pretty sure the projector I have is cheap trash, but I'm not sure what else to get that might fix my problem(s).

Here's the setup (lot of daylight coming in these photos, but whatever, I didn't bother with the curtains):

The screen is an 84" motorized one which I like and I don't think I have any particular problems with it. The projector is this one from 'CiBest', which is 1080p. It is set up at around 9.5-10' from the screen. I'm usually using my PC or a fire stick to watch stuff on it, so I'm using up both HDMI ports on the back of the thing. It has worked out okay for the most part, but my main problem is that things just aren't focused on clear enough, especially around the edges. Because it's mounted up on my ceiling, I have the keystone adjusted to square out the image, and I'm pretty sure as a result I can't get things not to be blurry, especially around the edges of the display. For example:

It's at the point where I actually can't read text on my desktop or PC display if it's too small, which is extremely annoying.

It feels like if I try to focus around the edges, the middle's out of focus, and vice versa. I'm assuming that's because of the keystone. I've got the projector lowered as much as I can from the ceiling, but I don't want to try and bring it down any further because we use the living room area for VR, too, and I'm afraid someone's going to swing a controller and whack it if it's any lower down.

Is this just the inevitable result of having a relatively budget projector? What can I do? If I need to replace it, I'm willing, I just need to be pointed in the right direction.