Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

sorry but they did this man dirty w/ this scene

I was pissed off as well since Ashford was such a great scene stealer even though his character was relatively new on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I'm about half done with Book 3 and I havw ti say that while I'm enjoying the boooks, the pacing of the show is way better. They also benefitted from having several books to wprk with in adapting or it would have been a real mess introducing characters the way the books do.

So far, the breakneck pace of the back half of Season 3 is way better than the slog of Book 3, reading about technicians fixing mechanical problems for several pages.

Didnt mean to hijack the show thread with book talk, but since its my forst time reading them and Im approaching where the tv show is, I thoufht it wplould make for interesting discussion regarding the differences.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Books can also take way more liberties with like, physical proportions and the like. Book Naomi Nagata is 6'4", book Bobbie Draper is like 6'6" and well over 200 pounds

Not that the show counterparts suffer from being more normal-sized (although Frankie Adams is still p. big and looks like she could legitimately kick the poo poo out of anyone), it's just a variety thing

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It would've been neat if Bobbie's armor had slight gaps in its joints or the forearm and calf segments rode a little higher since she was supposed to be too big to fit comfortably in a standard power suit.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You remember the tall skinny belter Miller deals with repeatedly in the first season? by book stndards that dude would be like short side of average for belters. Its just not something feasible for tv.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SpookyLizard posted:

You remember the tall skinny belter Miller deals with repeatedly in the first season? by book stndards that dude would be like short side of average for belters. Its just not something feasible for tv.

tbf, it looks like they hired every actor with Marfan they could find :shrug:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Just finished S4, how do I fill this hole left inside me?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Organic Lube User posted:

Have you read the books? If not, read them (all of them, even 1-4 + novellas).

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Organic Lube User posted:

Keep rewatching the second half of S3 and eventually you'll have a heart attack.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
I just started Book 4 and 'I have questions', which may have been answered, but I just missed them or are answered in later books, in which case I don't want the answers. I only vaguely remember the end of Season 4. Here goes:

When Holden receives the vision in S3, is it of the PM aliens blowing up their own worlds to stop whatever it was that was killing them? If so, why are all these worlds still open to the gate?

Why are all the worlds opened by the gate able to sustain human life? Were the aliens carbon based lifeforms that needed oxygen and water? If so, and they sent the PM to Earth 2 billion years ago, did Earth even have that kind of atmosphere and conditions back then? They wanted to hijack whatever organisms were on Earth at the time, but wasnt the Oxidization Event making whatever lifeforms existed extinct during that time?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

TommyGun85 posted:

I just started Book 4 and 'I have questions', which may have been answered, but I just missed them or are answered in later books, in which case I don't want the answers. I only vaguely remember the end of Season 4. Here goes:

When Holden receives the vision in S3, is it of the PM aliens blowing up their own worlds to stop whatever it was that was killing them? If so, why are all these worlds still open to the gate?
Yes, that was the ring-builders trying to prevent the spread of ~something~. I don't think those systems still have rings. The rings available at the end of S3 are the ones that were still around when the builders gave u on destroying systems and just turned the whole network off.

quote:

Why are all the worlds opened by the gate able to sustain human life? Were the aliens carbon based lifeforms that needed oxygen and water? If so, and they sent the PM to Earth 2 billion years ago, did Earth even have that kind of atmosphere and conditions back then? They wanted to hijack whatever organisms were on Earth at the time, but wasnt the Oxidization Event making whatever lifeforms existed extinct during that time?

I'm pretty sure book 4 answers at least some of these questions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They blew up a bunch of systems but they didn't blow up a bunch more.

The PM aliens had roughly the same environmental needs as Earth life, yes. That's why their planets are habitable for humans. The great oxygenation event was about 2.4 billion years ago.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

IIRC there's empty spaces scattered around the edge of the ringspace bubble that should have rings if they were following the pattern all the others hold to, those empty spots are probably where the systems that got suernova'd used to be.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Crazycryodude posted:

IIRC there's empty spaces scattered around the edge of the ringspace bubble that should have rings if they were following the pattern all the others hold to, those empty spots are probably where the systems that got suernova'd used to be.

Nope. Each ring is equidistant to all of its neighbors.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

The great oxygenation event was about 2.4 billion years ago.

is this an actual event, and is there somewhere nifty, basic, and accessible i can read about it at?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Johnny Truant posted:

is this an actual event, and is there somewhere nifty, basic, and accessible i can read about it at?

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oxygenation_Event

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Johnny Truant posted:

It is. I don't know of a good explainer, but very basically Earth's atmosphere had no free oxygen and all Earth life was anaerobic. Then cyanobacteria evolved and began photosynthesis, rapidly filling the atmosphere with a whole bunch of oxygen, which killed nearly all the life on Earth since oxygen is pretty toxic, you have to evolve specially to use it.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

The great oxygenation event was about 2.4 billion years ago.

Do the books or show ever make a distinction between the aliens sending the PM from 2 billion earth years away or light years away because its a big distinction when talking about this event and whether the aliens were observing the earth before or after it occurred.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

TommyGun85 posted:

Do the books or show ever make a distinction between the aliens sending the PM from 2 billion earth years away or light years away because its a big distinction when talking about this event and whether the aliens were observing the earth before or after it occurred.
Phoebe arrived two billion years ago; there's no indication of how far away it came from (although according to the books all the ring systems are within the Milky Way, and I believe all within about 1000 light years).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

I have no idea what your question is. It was sent/captured by Saturn about two billion years prior to the series. The PM aliens sent many of them out to build gates to worlds that would be habitable by them, Earth just got lucky and Phoebe didn't hit it. Light years are a measure of distance, not time.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I have no idea what your question is. It was sent/captured by Saturn about two billion years prior to the series. The PM aliens sent many of them out to build gates to worlds that would be habitable by them, Earth just got lucky and Phoebe didn't hit it. Light years are a measure of distance, not time.

Light years are a measure of both distance and time in space, but to simplify my question is about distance. Is it ever explained how 'far' the alien progenitors are from Earth?

I ask because I am wondering whether they are similar carbon based lifeforms requiring oxygen to survive and to whether Earth would have been an oxygen based atmosphere at the time they would be observing it.

For instance, if they are located more than 2.5 billion light years away, it would be impossible for them to observe an Earth with oxygen.

Im just asking whether their origins are explained at all or if its a mystery. Please do not spoil if it has been explained, but we just arent there yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TommyGun85 posted:

Light years are a measure of both distance and time in space, but to simplify my question is about distance. Is it ever explained how 'far' the alien progenitors are from Earth?

A light year is 9.46 x 10^12 km. That is not a measure of time.

And, no. The gate network is all within the Milky Way but there's not a lot of detail. It's implied the systems connected together aren't all that widely scattered, but the only distance I remember mentioned is two of the systems are about nine light years apart. The slow zone is also unexplained but seems to be its own tiny artificial universe? It's definitely not in normal space anywhere.

The PM aliens are a mystery. I would not get your hopes up for a ton of detail about them. Maybe they will be fully explained in the upcoming book but I doubt it.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

TommyGun85 posted:

I ask because I am wondering whether they are similar carbon based lifeforms requiring oxygen to survive and to whether Earth would have been an oxygen based atmosphere at the time they would be observing it.

For instance, if they are located more than 2.5 billion light years away, it would be impossible for them to observe an Earth with oxygen.

Im just asking whether their origins are explained at all or if its a mystery. Please do not spoil if it has been explained, but we just arent there yet.

It's been a while, but I think the books indicated that the road-builders used a shotgun approach. Just throw these Phoebes at a bunch of planets. If a gate opens up in a thousand years, you know that 1) the system had life when the bullet hit, 2) that life is no longer a threat since it got goo-ed. If a gate doesn't open up, oh well. Just keep launching. On the other hand, the road-builders were able to build weird gates in space, so who knows what kind of technology they had or what kind of physics they knew that humans don't yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

TommyGun85 posted:

Light years are a measure of both distance and time in space
Except it's not. Whoever made you think that is wrong.

How long do you think is a light year supposed to be in time units, anyway? 299792458 years? A year per meter?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think they mean light lag for communications/observations

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
To build on Sarern's point, I think the PM aliens just sent out the protomolecule in every direction and the ones that luck into finding a suitable system get "activated". I don't think there was any intention or observation of their destination. There are a lot of issues with science fiction (and later on our own reality) that does not have a faster than light travel/communication system. The PM aliens had FTL (and technically so do humans now, although no actual control over it) so its not really useful to speculate on how the PM ended up in our Solar System as a plot hole.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm being completely sincere here when I say:

Put your nose to the grindstone and read the books. Some of your questions will be answered; others you'll have enough info to be not answered, but satisfied -your understanding will change such that you won't be asking the same questions at all.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Except it's not. Whoever made you think that is wrong.

How long do you think is a light year supposed to be in time units, anyway? 299792458 years? A year per meter?

In one earth year, light can travel a distance of 5.8 trillion miles was my understanding of the term. I understand its not used as a measure of time, but it can be used to measure the time it takes to observe light, in this case light from our solar system being observed by aliens far away and what the state of our planet would be at that moment in time.

I will concede that I may be totally wrong about how LY are used to measure distances.

For example, if Andromeda is 2.5 million light years away, it would take 2.5 million revolutions of our Earth around The Sun for light originating at that distance to reach us, hence us always observing it 2.5 million years in the past.

swickles posted:

so its not really useful to speculate on how the PM ended up in our Solar System as a plot hole.

Not trying find a plothole. Im genuinely interested in the series and just asking whether their origins are explained.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The vibe of Expanse aliens is "impossibly advanced and mysterious". There is some more detail but no full explanation.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TommyGun85 posted:

In one earth year, light can travel a distance of 5.8 trillion miles was my understanding of the term. I understand its not used as a measure of time, but it can be used to measure the time it takes to observe light, in this case light from our solar system being observed by aliens far away and what the state of our planet would be at that moment in time.

I will concede that I may be totally wrong about how LY are used to measure distances.

For example, if Andromeda is 2.5 million light years away, it would take 2.5 million revolutions of our Earth around The Sun for light originating at that distance to reach us, hence us always observing it 2.5 million years in the past.

Not trying find a plothole. Im genuinely interested in the series and just asking whether their origins are explained.

Also worth pointing out that Phoebe wasn't going anywhere close to the speed of light when it got here. It didn't get sent 1 billion light years away.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, it was sublight. They can't travel FTL without a gate, so you send the sublight probe, build the gate, and now you can travel there fast.

The PM tech can communicate FTL somehow though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Not everything about the PM makes a whole deal of sense. The books make a big deal about how molecular oxygen inhibits PM activity, which is strange, because the only places the PM seeds sprouted were the dirtballs with molecular oxygen.

I guess the whole point was that the authors wanted to give these fictional future humans a thousand virgin worlds to conquer, without making the fictional nanoassembler an uncontainable threat.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Phi230 posted:

I'm being completely sincere here when I say:

Put your nose to the grindstone and read the books. Some of your questions will be answered; others you'll have enough info to be not answered, but satisfied -your understanding will change such that you won't be asking the same questions at all.

It's not even that much of a grindstone. I binged the entire TV series in a couple weeks around Christmas, picked up the books just before new years and finished them before the COVID apocalypse hit just reading before bed. They're pretty easy reads, something between a later Harry Potter and the first couple GoT books. I can see a voracious reader devouring the hole series in a few weeks. And they're excellent.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The audiobooks are pretty well-done, too.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Its been a few weeks since I started the book series and Im midway through Book 4. They are very easy to digest despite their shortcomings. That being said, if I hadnt watched the television series I dont think I would have read past Book 1, which is the weakest of the ones I read.

Oddly enough, although Season 3 was my favorite so far, Book 3 was my least favorite tied with Book 1. The absence of really good show charactwrs like Drummer is felt. I feel I would have enjoyed the book more had I not seen that crazy good back half of Season 3.

Avarasala and Bobbie are also missimg in B3 and B4, which is noticeable.

S4 was my least favorite, but Im really enjoying B4. Its actually pretty apt right now, coronavirus considered.

So far Id rank books and show like this from best to worst:

S3.....S2.S1..S4
....B2.B4............B3.B1

e: also, Alex is reaaaallly underserved in the books, which is a shame. The actor has done a great job making him feel a part of the family because he is barely present in the books so far. Im hoping that changes moving forward. I have not read any of the short stories.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 30, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They don't really get into the characters in full until book 5. The whole Roci crew gets to be POV characters for that one so you get to know them a lot better.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The advantage the show has is that Book 5 was already out when the show was being first made, so they were lucky to have all the characterization from that book to work with when making the show characters. Book 5 is also really loving good, and I'm pumped to see that show's adaptation of it. Probably 75% of the characterization Amos has in the show is from his adventures in this upcoming book, so if you like Amos (who doesn't?) get ready for some fun.

As strange as this might sound the Roci crew (except maybe Holden) were not the main characters of the first four books. Book 1 was really Miller's story from start to finish. The emotional core of Book 2 was Prax searching for his daughter, and Avarasala & Bobbie solving the government conspiracy surrounding the hybrids. A huge amount of the plot of Book 3 was (I poo poo you not) the redemption of Melba through the good works of Anna. And Book 4 was probably the first time Holden was really driving the plot of the story with his actions. In all the books the Roci crew was along for the ride, but the real emotional journeys were being taken by the other characters.

Like to give you a sense for how shallow the Roci crew was in the first 4 books, we don't find out Naomi was a member of the OPA or was a mom until Book 5, nor do we get any hints to where the gently caress Amos came from (except The Churn, which not everyone would have read).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
When I started into the books I was surprised at how little of the show is in the books, but as I got deeper I was surprised at how little of the books isn't in the show.

Its one of the best adapations ever made.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
One thing that I still find myself weirded out about now and then is how our plucky band of independent heroes basically own an arsenal of cruise missiles, nuclear warheads and kinetic weaponry capable of deleting large buildings from orbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Slashrat posted:

One thing that I still find myself weirded out about now and then is how our plucky band of independent heroes basically own an arsenal of cruise missiles, nuclear warheads and kinetic weaponry capable of deleting large buildings from orbit.

I mean they also own a top military warship that 3 different governments just let them keep for no good reason. The legal battle over it in Book 3 is absurd as is the way in which its resolved.