Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I feel like I’ve been doing that all week. I’ve also been saving a lot of money now that I’m not eating lunch at work everyday in the cafeteria and being out all weekend. Tho my for sale pile is getting larger now that I can’t go to a record store to flip stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I preordered the Ariel Pink stuff that's supposed to come out Friday, I guess that counts, although whether it actually comes out and when it's gonna reach me is very much up in the air. Might get an Italians Do It Better order in too so I get that effect twice.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

July 10th, baby!

It's a two LP set - one LP housing the original Dyin' Dog demos (credited to Alvin Snow, but secretly an excuse for The Residents to record a straight-forward Blues album), and a second album where The Residents proper reinterpret the demos. The CD gets six additional bonus tracks, which is laaaaaaaaaame.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Almost makes up for missing the show (the rescheduled date for next year is already locked in on my calendar of course).

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm so goddamn curious now 'cause the press release describes it as "Perhaps the most polished and accessible Residents album ever recorded, and packed with guest appearances, nifty production tricks and, of course, the spirit of Alvin Snow. "

Wanna know about them guest appearances after they said they'd be releasing a 7" with Frank Black on vocals doing DIE! DIE! DIE!.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
If anyone wants a good deal on some meme vinyl, the record with The Most Unwanted Song on it is $12 until the end of the month.

https://twitter.com/needlejuicerec/status/1252417262931152897?s=20

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

I'm so goddamn curious now 'cause the press release describes it as "Perhaps the most polished and accessible Residents album ever recorded, and packed with guest appearances, nifty production tricks and, of course, the spirit of Alvin Snow. "

Wanna know about them guest appearances after they said they'd be releasing a 7" with Frank Black on vocals doing DIE! DIE! DIE!.

Any chance any more info will leak before the release? On the one hand, I want to be surprised and not even read the jacket before my first playback. But on the other hand I'm so curious!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

marjorie posted:

Any chance any more info will leak before the release? On the one hand, I want to be surprised and not even read the jacket before my first playback. But on the other hand I'm so curious!
This video sums up the project rather well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trE_SmrngbM

Though it was produced when the Dyin' Dog demos were released so it doesn't have much information regarding Metal, Meat and Bone side. A couple of the Dyin' Dog tracks have ended up on Youtube though, so you can get a feel for the Blues-LP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkA3QVOFpjk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6qxvrqhUuw

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So I never really expected to buy these two albums. But like some of the Futurismo releases, they ended up showing up for cheap on ebay from Europe. I think these were each around $15-$20, and with an ebay coupon it ended up being cheap enough to justify. I think they're still up there for cheap from the seller Rarewaves if anyone wants to snag them.

These are pretty nice packages, even by high Futurismo standards. Both come with a 3' poster and post cards/cutouts. One cover is die cut and the other has an embossed glossy logo over it. It kills me that all sorts of Devo stuff has gotten a beautiful special edition on Vinyl... except their main Warner Bros. discography. I do have a slight fondness for these albums because they were my first introduction to the band, and the bonus discs with demos are neat. Mostly I just got these for completeness and because they are nice packages. It's pretty dumb to not include the Swedish version of Baby Doll on the Total Devo bonus disc, though.

At this point I think the only album I'm missing on Vinyl now is Shout, which is kind of funny since it's probably the cheapest one out there. I'll just have to pick it up off Discogs some time.

Download codes:
Total: FUTNO29H49KCY48
Noodle: FUTNO31RVDNGSP6
http://www.futurismoinc.com/redeem

edit: They're both actually a bit cheaper than when I bought them. Expect shipping to take forever:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Devo-Smoot...872.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Devo-Total...872.m2749.l2649

wa27 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 23, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

So I never really expected to buy these two albums. But like some of the Futurismo releases, they ended up showing up for cheap on ebay from Europe. I think these were each around $15-$20, and with an ebay coupon it ended up being cheap enough to justify. I think they're still up there for cheap from the seller Rarewaves if anyone wants to snag them.

These are pretty nice packages, even by high Futurismo standards. Both come with a 3' poster and post cards/cutouts. One cover is die cut and the other has an embossed glossy logo over it. It kills me that all sorts of Devo stuff has gotten a beautiful special edition on Vinyl... except their main Warner Bros. discography. I do have a slight fondness for these albums because they were my first introduction to the band, and the bonus discs with demos are neat. Mostly I just got these for completeness and because they are nick packages. It's pretty dumb to not include the Swedish version of Baby Doll on the Total Devo bonus disc, though.

At this point I think the only album I'm missing on Vinyl now is Shout, which is kind of funny since it's probably the cheapest one out there. I'll just have to pick it up off Discogs some time.

Download codes:
Total: FUTNO29H49KCY48
Noodle: FUTNO31RVDNGSP6
http://www.futurismoinc.com/redeem

edit: They're both actually a bit cheaper than when I bought them. Expect shipping to take forever:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Devo-Smoot...872.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Devo-Total...872.m2749.l2649

Were these shipped to you from Germany by any chance?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Were these shipped to you from Germany by any chance?

Royal Mail. I think I ordered in early March. It's been so long I forgot they were supposed to be coming.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
that's some amazing packaging for a couple of pretty crappy Devo records. I was a huge Devo fan as a kid (my parents are from Akron so they were played in the house a lot) - it wasn't until I was 15 or so that I found out they had two more albums, both of which became holy grails for me, cuz you couldn't find them anywhere. not even on Napster! eventually downloaded them and...yeah. I do like a couple of the songs on SNM but man.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was not aware of this until all the limited pre-orders sold out, but X released a new goddamn album!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

That looks like the same cover artist for Lambchop’s Nixon. It looks great.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I finally got around to adding the Stephen Arnold Music record to discogs. SAM is a music production company that mostly does television news themes and music for commercials and the like. This record has full-length songs that might get tiny snippets played in a show. Really the packaging art is probably the most interesting thing about it; it's all housed in transparent sleeves with the outer having a blue face and the inner sleeve having the same face, but yellow. Put 'em together and voila: green face.

Also if you're a New Orleans Saints fan uh, congrats there's a song on there just for you. I made sure to include it as a Youtube video on the discogs page.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

I finally got around to adding the Stephen Arnold Music record to discogs. SAM is a music production company that mostly does television news themes and music for commercials and the like. This record has full-length songs that might get tiny snippets played in a show. Really the packaging art is probably the most interesting thing about it; it's all housed in transparent sleeves with the outer having a blue face and the inner sleeve having the same face, but yellow. Put 'em together and voila: green face.

Also if you're a New Orleans Saints fan uh, congrats there's a song on there just for you. I made sure to include it as a Youtube video on the discogs page.

How much do you want for it

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

How much do you want for it

If I told you the record was pretty badly warped, would you still want it?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Someone let me know when there's a vaporwave subgenre that uses those old Halloween sound effects records and CDs instead of muzak.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Someone let me know when there's a vaporwave subgenre that uses those old Halloween sound effects records and CDs instead of muzak.
I tried doing this about 13 years ago and it only produced one halfway decent track.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

If I told you the record was pretty badly warped, would you still want it?

:saddowns:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah. At first it might seem cool to have a thick plastic card that doubles as a USB drive, but then you pack it in alongside a vinyl record and... this is the result:

https://i.imgur.com/tvQDm21.mp4

Edit:

:shepicide:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 26, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LOOK AT THAT FRAME RATE!

I love that slip mat.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

LOOK AT THAT FRAME RATE!

I love that slip mat.

Still available!

https://twitter.com/mst3k/status/1176535497683820544?s=21

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
I have a death from above album thats like that. i can play it on my old lovely lp-60 but good luck on my much nicer turntable with an actual balanced stylus :negative:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It doesn't have the song they sing during the end credits of Werewolf, NO SALE!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

It doesn't have the song they sing during the end credits of Werewolf, NO SALE!
You're looking for Clowns in the Sky II which was made after the switch to The Sci-Fi channel.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Noob question. I have an old Sony PS LX-1 turntable, with a ND-138G stylus. My toddler daughter got her hands on the stylus and now it's hosed up, not exactly sure what she did but I'm guessing she pressed the tonearm down and smooshed the needle...

So I'm looking for a replacement stylus, but when I do basic google or amazon searches for "ND-138G stylus" I mostly get somewhat sketchy/generic results, which don't inspire a ton of confidence in their quality. But not sure if that's because all manufacturing is done by 3rd parties now?

Any tips for finding a legit replacement stylus?

Example uninspiring amazon result: https://www.amazon.com/Durpower-Phonograph-Turntable-ND-138G-ND-147G/dp/B0173LJK18/ref=psdc_11973981_t2_B0176L2HVU

edit: did a little more sleuthing and found that an ATN95E should work in my cartridge, according this sickass website https://www.turntableneedles.com/ATN95E-Type-Stylus-for-audio-technica-AT95E-etc--our-Needle-710-DE_p_651.html

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 28, 2020

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://twitter.com/recordstoreday/status/1255482105494192139?s=21

Doing it in phases will be interesting. Curious to see how they divide everything up.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Deals worth dying for!

This is sooo stupid. Surely nothing bad can come of people queueing up outside of and then cramming inside of tiny record stores across three different days.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm hoping curbside pick-up will still be a thing by that point.

I'm hoping my local record stores will still be a thing by that point.

I'm hoping I'm still a thing by that point. :smith:

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

There are multiple record stores in my area (Georgia...ugh, I know) that are opening on weekends and are like “please just wear a mask and maintain distance.”

One of which said “if you don’t have a mask, we have a limited supply that we can loan you” which is...abhorrent.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ewww

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:gonk:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The Senator Giroux posted:

There are multiple record stores in my area (Georgia...ugh, I know) that are opening on weekends and are like “please just wear a mask and maintain distance.”

One of which said “if you don’t have a mask, we have a limited supply that we can loan you” which is...abhorrent.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

But think of how much you can inflate the prices of these records on eBay if most people are afraid to leave the house!

We'll be lucky if this is over by fall never mind August. They're also saying that there could be a second outbreak in the winter during flu season. But it'll all be worth if I can buy a fifty dollar reissue of some classic rock album!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

in unrelated news, gently caress anyone who presses a record but doesn't make it blindingly clear what speed it's meant to run at

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

hexwren posted:

in unrelated news, gently caress anyone who presses a record but doesn't make it blindingly clear what speed it's meant to run at

Or which side is which.

My local record store is closed, but I’ve been trying to buy gift cards.

The one in Durham that I go to is selling online and shipping, or doing curbside. The owner lives near me and just drops them off on my porch. He has been getting a lot of business from me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

hexwren posted:

so every techno record I've ever bought lol. Tho i do find some tracks that play better slow/fast. I just put the speed the album is meant to be played on a tiny sticker and leave it on the outer sleeve now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of records have the letter A or B after number in the dead wax. I never figured that for a long time and the unlabeled sides thing was really annoying to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the part of that that really gets me is when all the track names are on one side of the record and there's just a graphic label on the other side - my instinct is to put the track-name side on first, but that's usually side b