Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I finally got a landline broadband option and will probably be dropping my grandfathered unlimited plan in a couple months. Right now the number is set up to forward to my wife's phone and we have been giving out that number as our primary number for over a decade. What's my cheapest option for keeping the phone number on my account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

I finally got a landline broadband option and will probably be dropping my grandfathered unlimited plan in a couple months. Right now the number is set up to forward to my wife's phone and we have been giving out that number as our primary number for over a decade. What's my cheapest option for keeping the phone number on my account?

Need info. What is your exact current plan, which unlimited , how many lines and what do you pay a month ?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Need info. What is your exact current plan, which unlimited , how many lines and what do you pay a month ?

It's actually two plans because I was forced to split my other lines off onto a new plan when their system refused to update my original plan. The unlimited plan is one of the old 600 minute plans with unlimited data and the unlimited 4g hotspot add-on. It runs about 170-180/m on its own. The plan I split my other lines onto is a 2GB share plan with unlimited talk/text. It has two iphones and two flip phones and runs around 130-140/m.

I'm hoping to just migrate the phone number from the unlimited plan onto something cheap I can add to the share plan, if possible. As long as the device maintains the phone number so I can continue to forward the calls, it doesn't really matter whether it is a phone, modem, ipad, etc, but I don't really know what options are available that are compatible with the share plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

It's actually two plans because I was forced to split my other lines off onto a new plan when their system refused to update my original plan. The unlimited plan is one of the old 600 minute plans with unlimited data and the unlimited 4g hotspot add-on. It runs about 170-180/m on its own. The plan I split my other lines onto is a 2GB share plan with unlimited talk/text. It has two iphones and two flip phones and runs around 130-140/m.

I'm hoping to just migrate the phone number from the unlimited plan onto something cheap I can add to the share plan, if possible. As long as the device maintains the phone number so I can continue to forward the calls, it doesn't really matter whether it is a phone, modem, ipad, etc, but I don't really know what options are available that are compatible with the share plan.

Yeah, you could move it to the 2GB plan and it’s $20 a month for a phone line. Just a low amount of data , but if it’s just call forwarding obviously that won’t matter then.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, you could move it to the 2GB plan and it’s $20 a month for a phone line. Just a low amount of data , but if it’s just call forwarding obviously that won’t matter then.

Sounds good, thanks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm considering jumping ship to Google Fi. My main hesitation is that my grandmother is currently on my plan, so I'd need to set her up on her own plan with VZW. She uses a dumbphone and has no desire/need to upgrade. After fees and whatnot, roughly how much is the most basic dumbphone plan these days?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

XIII posted:

So, I'm considering jumping ship to Google Fi. My main hesitation is that my grandmother is currently on my plan, so I'd need to set her up on her own plan with VZW. She uses a dumbphone and has no desire/need to upgrade. After fees and whatnot, roughly how much is the most basic dumbphone plan these days?

$30 plus tax a month.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

$30 plus tax a month.

Perfect, that's about what I'd hoped/expected. Thanks!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Update, I was offered an extra $100 off per iPhone 11. Not overwhelming, I'll be honest.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, another dumb question. I have my legacy unlimited plans sim in an LTE router, which has worked for years, but has prevented me from making any changes to the minutes, etc because it reads as an incompatible device online.

Would I be able to suspend service on this line for a few months while I demo the new internet, or would it likely not be able to reactivate in the event the new internet doesn't work out?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

Sorry, another dumb question. I have my legacy unlimited plans sim in an LTE router, which has worked for years, but has prevented me from making any changes to the minutes, etc because it reads as an incompatible device online.

Would I be able to suspend service on this line for a few months while I demo the new internet, or would it likely not be able to reactivate in the event the new internet doesn't work out?

That router is likely an old router, so it probably won’t reactivate, and def not on whatever legacy unlimited plan.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

That router is likely an old router, so it probably won’t reactivate, and def not on whatever legacy unlimited plan.

Thanks.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
How does switching devices work with pre paid? I'm planning on going from an unlocked s10 to an unlocked s20.. Any issues with swapping the sim phone to phone or do I have to do anything on the vzw end?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

How does switching devices work with pre paid? I'm planning on going from an unlocked s10 to an unlocked s20.. Any issues with swapping the sim phone to phone or do I have to do anything on the vzw end?

Nah, just swap the SIM card. Not that it matters since it’s not really prevalent yet, but prepaid accounts def will not go 5G, 4G only.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Anyone else in Portland have loving TERRIBLE internet speed with Verizon? I often just give up trying to load things until I'm in a different area. Isn't Verizon supposed to be the best coverage? I had way better luck with TMobile who I paid half as much for and now I'm stuck. YAY

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Duckman2008 posted:

Nah, just swap the SIM card. Not that it matters since it’s not really prevalent yet, but prepaid accounts def will not go 5G, 4G only.

Thanks! And no worries.. It's missing specific 5g bands or something anyway and I'm really happy with 4g speeds. Not really getting the hype for 5g but maybe in a few years

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

Thanks! And no worries.. It's missing specific 5g bands or something anyway and I'm really happy with 4g speeds. Not really getting the hype for 5g but maybe in a few years

5G could be good in 2-4 years.

3G to 4G was just such a bigger jump , 1MB cap to actual, usable mobile internet. So no amount of hype on 5G will match that.

That said, for consumers , 5G will mostly just be a step up, faster speeds, and they do really want to do in home internet. The in home internet is still years away, but giving non Comcast options will probably be a big thing.

5G can handle something like 10 or more times the amount of devices attached to a tower at once. This isn’t as much customer impacting as business (my opinion), but it’s why you hear them talk a lot about 5G helping automated vehicles.

And yeah, jury is out, so lord knows how big of an impact it’ll be in the end.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
On a Tower? All I've seen is hundreds of APs, spaced every 100 feet or so

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Am I likely to get more for a trade-in by going into a store upgrading/trading in via that option, or to use the app/website and mail it in?

For background: I have a 256 GB iPhone 8 Plus, that I had just gotten as a replacement for a prior iPhone 8 Plus last October. About a month back I dropped it in the house on tile and chipped the corner, but that apparently has resulted in the screen continuing to get cracking across it, and even though it's now in a Otterbox Commuter, a drop yesterday sent a few more cracks across the screen.

I'm looking at either the iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro, and going through the app last night, I saw a quote for about $100 for the trade-in, but wasn't sure whether I could get more by going in since besides the screen, it's been running fine, and has essentially a new battery/is a new phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Am I likely to get more for a trade-in by going into a store upgrading/trading in via that option, or to use the app/website and mail it in?

For background: I have a 256 GB iPhone 8 Plus, that I had just gotten as a replacement for a prior iPhone 8 Plus last October. About a month back I dropped it in the house on tile and chipped the corner, but that apparently has resulted in the screen continuing to get cracking across it, and even though it's now in a Otterbox Commuter, a drop yesterday sent a few more cracks across the screen.

I'm looking at either the iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro, and going through the app last night, I saw a quote for about $100 for the trade-in, but wasn't sure whether I could get more by going in since besides the screen, it's been running fine, and has essentially a new battery/is a new phone.

Trade in values are the same in store and online. I’m not in store to check an iPhone 8 trade in, but is that $100 showing up after you say it’s cracked ?

Unfortunately the phone won’t get full value , Verizon’s setup is actually pretty simple, here’s the regular trade in, if there’s any actual cracks or essentially just cuts it in half. An iPhone 8+ probably does trade in for around $200ish, so $100 after crack sounds right.

If you order online and want a referral code, feel free to PM me.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Duckman2008 posted:

Trade in values are the same in store and online. I’m not in store to check an iPhone 8 trade in, but is that $100 showing up after you say it’s cracked ?

Unfortunately the phone won’t get full value , Verizon’s setup is actually pretty simple, here’s the regular trade in, if there’s any actual cracks or essentially just cuts it in half. An iPhone 8+ probably does trade in for around $200ish, so $100 after crack sounds right.

If you order online and want a referral code, feel free to PM me.

Thanks, I'll PM you for the referral code. By the way, it looks like the iPhone 11 Pros are backordered through early/mid March?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Thanks, I'll PM you for the referral code. By the way, it looks like the iPhone 11 Pros are backordered through early/mid March?

That’s correct. Coronavirus is def already affecting inventory.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Just here to post that they had an all hands on deck call in my area today, and management all the way up the chain is being emphatic that they are not laying off employees and are continuing to pay full hourly and base commission.

They’re in full crisis mode and basically treating this like a war (as they should).

Majority of stores are closed, and they took volunteers to lightly staff the few stores staying open , which are there to only help process transactions that really need it.

Gotta say, it’s still a company , things certainly can change, I’m sure not every action is perfect, but I’m pretty proud and grateful to work for Verizon right now.

I’m mostly not working, my store is closed, I volunteered but I don’t work a shift until early April. But if anyone here needs help, FYI still around to help. People need their phones to work connection wise.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

RCS loving up for anyone else today?

My brother in LA can't send any, everything has reverted to sms with him. My group chat with everyone is working fine, except for him. And now I'm getting random failures where messages just disappear into the ether.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey so for the new iPhone SE deal at Walmart, I have a family plan for my wife and I called the Go Unlimited plan.

Would that plan make me eligible for Walmart’s deal?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Hey so for the new iPhone SE deal at Walmart, I have a family plan for my wife and I called the Go Unlimited plan.

Would that plan make me eligible for Walmart’s deal?

Honestly don’t know for sure. That said, usually for deals at most the requirement is “an unlimited plan,” so if you’re on Go you should be fine.

I would just go ahead, try and order it, it’ll give you the final pricing before you click “order.”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Since data clearly isn't as expensive as they've made it out to be are they going to rework data plans and lower prices after this is over?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Since data clearly isn't as expensive as they've made it out to be are they going to rework data plans and lower prices after this is over?

They’re not gonna go back to more capped data plans. And plans for 4 people across all carriers have been around $150-180 (with conditions like autopay) for as far back as 2015, so with the T-Mobile merger, I don’t see prices going down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I figured these two months of free 15gb was too good to last

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Depending on how things go, they could always renew it, but it was meant more as emergency support for customers, especially both A. customer's stuck at home who don't have home internet options and B. First responders who don't have unlimited but are at work more (for example, hospital wifi varies a lot building by building).

They're def going to keep pushing unlimited data, beyond profits people on unlimited data plans call in less with issues because they don't have accidental or one time data spikes that eat up their data allowances, so customer anger and churn is definitely lower.

So yeah, obviously it isn't as cheap as a 4GB plan. It would be nice for prices to go down, my honest bet is I see rates getting mostly frozen in place during the crisis. There are so many unknowns, so i don't see them risking plan changes when so much change and stress is already happening.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Len posted:

lmao

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

Len posted:

I've gotten a text already for 5/1 to 5/31 extending mine.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Len posted:

Yeah the day after the criminal enterprise is declared a utility and seized by the government.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Yeah the day after the criminal enterprise is declared a utility and seized by the government.

I know it’s SA and all that , and Verizon is a big company, but for the record, when Verizon had to close my store (and all others), they kept every single employee at home, with full pay, for over a month while figuring out what to do with us. There are still employees that have no work to do and are getting full pay and benefits. Btw, Verizon already pays the highest in the industry, so it isn’t like; $8 am hour employees they are paying here. They also moved their entire call center to work from home within I think a week and a half in mid March. They’ve been doing live daily updates, and overall the message from the top of the company is that this is a crisis, and they want to do what they can to keep employees and customers safe, and it shows in their actions right now.

So while that should be the norm, quite frankly it unfortunately isn’t. I know I’m biased since I work for them, but right now I’ll tell you I’m drat proud to work for this company. And I know you probably don’t know any of this, but now you do.

But don’t worry, There are plenty of lovely capitalist companies for your statement. Go poo poo on Spectrum,, who forced their call center employees to keep going to work even though their jobs could be done from home and now multiple of their employees have Covid.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Just got an email that verizon extended their unlimited plan discounts to include teachers.

Reading this is the price as simple as line charge - 20 = price? So if its normally 40/line and i have 6 lines the price would be 120/mo?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

Just got an email that verizon extended their unlimited plan discounts to include teachers.

Reading this is the price as simple as line charge - 20 = price? So if its normally 40/line and i have 6 lines the price would be 120/mo?

Its an account discount, not per line. It'll essentially be either $20 or $25 a month off total.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Duckman2008 posted:

I know it’s SA and all that , and Verizon is a big company, but for the record, when Verizon had to close my store (and all others), they kept every single employee at home, with full pay, for over a month while figuring out what to do with us. There are still employees that have no work to do and are getting full pay and benefits. Btw, Verizon already pays the highest in the industry, so it isn’t like; $8 am hour employees they are paying here. They also moved their entire call center to work from home within I think a week and a half in mid March. They’ve been doing live daily updates, and overall the message from the top of the company is that this is a crisis, and they want to do what they can to keep employees and customers safe, and it shows in their actions right now.

So while that should be the norm, quite frankly it unfortunately isn’t. I know I’m biased since I work for them, but right now I’ll tell you I’m drat proud to work for this company. And I know you probably don’t know any of this, but now you do.

But don’t worry, There are plenty of lovely capitalist companies for your statement. Go poo poo on Spectrum,, who forced their call center employees to keep going to work even though their jobs could be done from home and now multiple of their employees have Covid.

Ive had an account with them for :corsair: 20 years :corsair:, and while I am very glad they are treating you better than they might, I have earned my grumbling, and know a number of people in several states that were chewed up working for verizon.

The combo of old GTE bs on the one side, and 30,000,000,000 in profits on the other - there is no reason to allow verizon and att to hold what is a modern utility hostage in their rent seeking.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

Ive had an account with them for :corsair: 20 years :corsair:, and while I am very glad they are treating you better than they might, I have earned my grumbling, and know a number of people in several states that were chewed up working for verizon.

The combo of old GTE bs on the one side, and 30,000,000,000 in profits on the other - there is no reason to allow verizon and att to hold what is a modern utility hostage in their rent seeking.

Yeah, I am definitely not here to declare it perfect or that the status quo is perfect. And people are def allowed to still be mad at whatever company, especially if they have past or current experience of getting hosed over.

For better or worse though, carriers and cable companies in the US aren't public utilities, and there's no way that's changing anytime soon. So at the least, taking good examples, holding them up to show what these companies should be obligated to do (and doing the same thing with bad examples), you're gonna get farther with pressuring internal change/function to focus more on taking care of their employees and customers.

For me, I will say if my company is going to take efforts to take care of their employees and customers right now, i do feel obligated to reward them by pointing it out to people. Good actions deserve good PR, and absolutely bad actions deserve bad PR.

That all said, you and everyone absolutely have the right to your opinion, and one action probably shouldn't just say "whelp its all good you can't think bad about company any more." But hey, you got my perspective, so you can also weigh that to your perspective/opinion however you want to.

In terms of long term Verizon history, probably the best thing to actually happen to the company culture wise was TMobile eating Verizon's lunch for 2 years around 2014-2016. I came in a bit after that started really taking effect, and while I think they were obviously slow to change, the input i get from people that have been at the company a while is that its overall better now than say, 5-6 years ago. It shouldn't be this way, but you value customers and employees way more when you lose a poo poo ton of them in short period of time.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Looking at the pricing its $30/line on the basic so I would be at $180/mo for 6 right?

On the plans that include apple music is there anyway to share that or upgrade to a family plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keystoned posted:

Looking at the pricing its $30/line on the basic so I would be at $180/mo for 6 right?

On the plans that include apple music is there anyway to share that or upgrade to a family plan?

The advertisement is probably saying its $30 for 4 lines (before tax/fees). With auto pay with checking account, on start unlimited.

How that works: 4 lines on Start: $35 * 4 = $140

First Responder discount: $20 off base account (not each).

$140 - $20 = $120. 120 / 4 = $30 a line

Start unlimited for 5+ lines is $30 a line. so for your case:

$25 * 6 = $180

$180 - $20 = $160

$160 / 6 = $ 26 a line

Apple music: essentially, any line that wants "free" apple music from Verizon has to go to Play unlimited, which is $10 a month. I always explain it as a side benefit of having priority data and mobile hotspot (which may not be as needed now with work from home). If you have multiple people wanting apple music, Verizon can't offer the family Apple music, so if you have more than yourself, Apple's $15 family share is better, especially for families.

It is def worth noting you can change your plan at any time through the app/online. The reason i mention that: if you are fine with Start, stay there and save money. God forbid you lose power or home internet, which right now could be really important, you can up to the play unlimited with mobile hotspot (essentially backup internet).

For anyone: more than happy to evaluate plans right now or go over promos. I used to mention referrals, for now i don't need to give out referral links since i am in a non commission role at the moment. I'll try and update the OP soon.