Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Yet no one tries to come up with some stupid bullshit about how Usopp's mom was poisoned or something instead of just sick, smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Oh Snapple! posted:

I will never, ever understand the embarrassingly desperate need some people have for Kuina's death to be more than "life is hosed up and unfair and can end in an instant over the simplest things."

Agreed. CodfishCartographer even came up with a good justification as to why it should be this way in the blind read thread:

CodfishCartographer posted:

I remember loving Zoro's backstory immediately upon reading it, because it touches on something that anime practically never examines: a goal that's ACTUALLY unattainable.

Zoro wants to be the best swordsman, which is theoretically attainable by beating everyone that challenges him. However, he was NEVER able to beat Kuina. That means he can never be truly sure if he's the strongest - because she was always stronger, who's to say she wouldn't have remained so? Taking what we've seen of Zoro's past at face value (and thus ignoring your conspiracy theory about foul play) her dying by complete accident is actually very important. If someone killed her, then theoretically Zoro could kill that person to surpass her by being stronger than the person that was stronger than her. Now Zoro will never truly know if he is the strongest or not.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There's a certain kind of person who sees plot threads as a kind of logic puzzle rather than an emotional tool.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I think I've heard like 300 times in relation to Kuina that "fallen down the stairs" is a common euphemism for suicide in Japan. Is this actually bullshit? I always took that and Zoro's comment about her "running away from the promise" to be a strong implication.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's not a metaphor for suicide.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

NowonSA posted:

So looking at the blind read thread got me thinking. Since Kuina's family seems to have some Wano connections, and a girl who could beat Zoro 2,000 times dying from falling down stairs is lame any way you slice it (Edit: drat you'll never believe me, but this pun was not intended at all), what are the odds that her death was part of a plot by one of the baddies in this Wano arc? Zoro's always been a badass, but I could definitely sign up for him completely losing his poo poo and showing us how close to "a hero cuts up someone into tiny pieces" you can get in a shonen magazine. Oda's shown some wild writing chops, but I personally would be totally okay with him just slapping a simple "killed Kuina for reasons" tag onto one of Kaido's lieutenants and having Zoro cut that person up.

I mean, the full fanservice outcome is that Kuina's death was faked and she shows up Sabo style, but I don't think we'll see that same trick pulled twice.

...... why would you want anything like this. I actually don’t understand how you could think this would make the story better. What kind of silly reasoning could Kaido have for even ordering it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
To be fair Kuina's death is exactly the kind of thing a cape comic wouldn't be able to leave alone either.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Instead of Kuina coming back let's pray Tashigi comes back with better writing

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Kuina trained hard during the timeskip and became even more dead.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Kuina's stairs are gonna become the Pirate King.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

To be fair Kuina's death is exactly the kind of thing a cape comic wouldn't be able to leave alone either.

There's are so many reasons to avoid the current crop of western comics, but the inability to keep characters dead is one of the worst things DC/Marvel comic writers do. Don't just use death as a cheap emotional gut punch, it has mean to something or no one cares because you know that character will come back eventually ( I say this being a big fan of Dragonball, but you know at least you have to use a wish granting dragon to get them back which is at least cool).

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Libra posted:

Kuina trained hard during the timeskip and became even more dead.

Everyone thought that Zoro was going to be the strongest swordsman, but Brook's final fight against Zombie Kuina was epic

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Tir McDohl posted:

Everyone thought that Zoro was going to be the strongest swordsman, but Brook's final fight against Zombie Kuina was epic

You joke, but with fruits like Moria's out there, you never know...

EDIT: If a writer who didn't understand that subtlety tried to do something, they'd probably have Brook use his fruit to bring back Kuina's soul or something and have her possess Tashigi for one last showdown with Zoro.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 26, 2020

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, the chapter is officially out
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-978/chapter/20405?action=read

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

lol the clothing power finally came back

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

The World Inferno posted:

lol the clothing power finally came back

I legit forgot Kin had a devil fruit for awhile.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Kin's ability to instantly create an entirely new wave of character designs to merchandise the hell out of is genius on Oda's part

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I was a little confused with the panel revealing the tobi reppo, it looked like Black Maria's portrait had been put in the wrong place and without a border. But then I realized, oh, no, she's just in the background, and a giant.

It does look like she has the same kind of horns as Kaido. Everyone else has horns as part of a hat or a headband or something, but hers are coming right out of her scalp, and are even two-tone, white (or some lighter color) at the roots. Of course that doesn't actually prove anything, it could still just be a headband or for show or whatever, but it's a neat detail! I remember back in Impel Down I was convinced Magellan was some sort of weird devil person with real horns, but then he took them off and used them like boxing gloves in a fight.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh Snapple! posted:

I will never, ever understand the embarrassingly desperate need some people have for Kuina's death to be more than "life is hosed up and unfair and can end in an instant over the simplest things."

Big Hat actually targeted Toshigi all those years ago but unfortunately the stairs stairs fruit holder is actually Zoro's dad, who also has terrible directional intelligence.

I really hate how they cut the two page spreads into 2 images instead of one.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

The problem is that in the rest of One Piece, death doesn’t work that way. Actually, as we see with Spandam, in the rest of One Piece, ordinary human bodies don’t work that way!

It’s an overly realistic touch in the context of a comedy-melodrama like One Piece, basically.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gyges posted:

Big Hat actually targeted Toshigi all those years ago but unfortunately the stairs stairs fruit holder is actually Zoro's dad, who also has terrible directional intelligence.

I really hate how they cut the two page spreads into 2 images instead of one.

So it's funny, it does one page at a time on my phone, but it does the double page spreads proper on desktop.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

The problem is that in the rest of One Piece, death doesn’t work that way. Actually, as we see with Spandam, in the rest of One Piece, ordinary human bodies don’t work that way!

It’s an overly realistic touch in the context of a comedy-melodrama like One Piece, basically.

I mean, to be fair, Kuina's death happens in like chapter 3. It's hard to judge it based on stuff that happens hundreds of chapters later.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Aren't Luffy, Ace, Sabo, Doflamingo, and Law the only kids who have been shown to be able to take a One Piece adult sized beating anyway? Every other kid seems to be "normal" in that a flight of stairs would be a serious opponent.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Plot Twist: Moria returns with Kuina, Roger and Gin in his corpse army.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Begemot posted:

I was a little confused with the panel revealing the tobi reppo, it looked like Black Maria's portrait had been put in the wrong place and without a border. But then I realized, oh, no, she's just in the background, and a giant.

It does look like she has the same kind of horns as Kaido. Everyone else has horns as part of a hat or a headband or something, but hers are coming right out of her scalp, and are even two-tone, white (or some lighter color) at the roots. Of course that doesn't actually prove anything, it could still just be a headband or for show or whatever, but it's a neat detail! I remember back in Impel Down I was convinced Magellan was some sort of weird devil person with real horns, but then he took them off and used them like boxing gloves in a fight.

Considering there has been mentions of Oni coming to Kaido's party. I'm guessing he and Black Maria are both Oni/Giants of some sort.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's gonna turn out Onigashima was originally a trade post in Wano for the Giants and Kaido and Black Maria are the descendants.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Gyges posted:

Aren't Luffy, Ace, Sabo, Doflamingo, and Law the only kids who have been shown to be able to take a One Piece adult sized beating anyway? Every other kid seems to be "normal" in that a flight of stairs would be a serious opponent.

And Linlin, of course. :v: More seriously, Sanji as a child survived without food longer than a real-world child should be capable of. I think that’s enough examples that Kuina appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

Edit: I think Vivi and Kohza were reasonably tough as kids too, but I don’t remember the details.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 27, 2020

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Xelkelvos posted:

It's gonna turn out Onigashima was originally a trade post in Wano for the Giants and Kaido and Black Maria are the descendants.

Honestly, this is shockingly likely. Oars and Little Oars Jr both have horns too, and we know that Moriah was digging up corpses in Wano at least a little bit, given Ryuuma.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Silver2195 posted:

And Linlin, of course. :v: More seriously, Sanji as a child survived without food longer than a real-world child should be capable of. I think that’s enough examples that Kuina appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

Edit: I think Vivi and Kohza were reasonably tough as kids too, but I don’t remember the details.

Coby kept getting whacked by Alvida's spiked club, too. I guess if you're resilient enough to take a beating as a kid then there's a good chance you'll become really strong as an adult.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

apparently having your neck broken is just really loving lethal

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Toki is alive. She is now married to Kaido. She is the mother of Kaido's son. She did this to let her son and daughter through Oden live.

Kaido did this to have access or claim to the throne for when he eventually disposes of Orochi.

Kaido is aware of his role in the story through Toki and marches forward willingly. He tested her predictions by trying to kill himself when she told him he would not die since he still had a role to play.

Orochi is unaware of most of this.

The falling out Big Mom and Kaido had was over Kaido leaving Big Mom for Toki.

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 27, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Elfgames posted:

Unless your name is Spandam

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm so pumped for the next 50 chapters. Every player of the current arc are all together in one castle. And it's even a Skull Island!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm guessing the Numbers won't be fully revealed until the actual battle is underway, and it will be an awesome two-page spread of just an army of Awakened pseudo-Zoan users.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 27, 2020

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

NowonSA posted:

So looking at the blind read thread got me thinking. Since Kuina's family seems to have some Wano connections, and a girl who could beat Zoro 2,000 times dying from falling down stairs is lame any way you slice it (Edit: drat you'll never believe me, but this pun was not intended at all), what are the odds that her death was part of a plot by one of the baddies in this Wano arc? Zoro's always been a badass, but I could definitely sign up for him completely losing his poo poo and showing us how close to "a hero cuts up someone into tiny pieces" you can get in a shonen magazine. Oda's shown some wild writing chops, but I personally would be totally okay with him just slapping a simple "killed Kuina for reasons" tag onto one of Kaido's lieutenants and having Zoro cut that person up.

I mean, the full fanservice outcome is that Kuina's death was faked and she shows up Sabo style, but I don't think we'll see that same trick pulled twice.

Zoro has a need to be the Strongest Swordsman because he was robbed of the chance to beat his first rival due to the worst bad luck. His fatalism and willingness to gamble can also be drawn from this moment.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

Sanji is a literal Gattica baby, so he hardly counts.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Elfgames posted:

Just like one piece people are naturally more resilient and strong.
So are the stairs
These are One piece death stairs, scourge of the land and seas, doom of all who wish to ascend (and descend)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kuina should have just hit a backwards long jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

we taking bets on the noob thread? no way that amount of writing is sustainable. burns out by the end of vol. 5(? whatever the usopp one is) at that pace, switches to per volume writing, then just fucks off after vol. ~20. BELIEVE IT!!

e: adjusted a number.