Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Anticheese posted:

I know I've griped about it before, but I might actually consider playing with vitamins on if having a balanced diet gave your character a few mild bonuses instead of adding debuffs.
Yeah same. I'm very much against mechanics or systems that by design only include busywork to evade punishment. I'll never be a fan of the system but I could tolerate it if there was an incentive other than "do x or you'll get hosed up". With that said though I also now understand that it is still in heavy development so I'll reserve further judgement until it becomes more finalized.

Btw I found the reason why my character developed the vitamin-a deficit. I used pemmican as my main dish for the last few weeks and it has zero vitamin-a. Despite the veggie and fruit parts that you use to make it having vitamin-a themselves. Seems like an oversight that hopefully gets changed because pemmican rules

In happier news, I started to push into my first real town and found a humvee with a charging station and a mounted gun and another electric car with two big batteries. Already brought the electric car back to base to take it apart and I'll deal with the humvee later. Also while I crept through town I spotted something called a dissolved devourer. Scared the poo poo out of me because getting into melee with that thing seems like a bad idea. And using my shotgun would have alerted everyone in the city to my presence. Luckily it wandered off to chase some animals that ran through town and far away from me. I'll remember their sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vitamin A is probably the hardest to get right now. Always take cans of V8 and bags of dried seeds, both are high in Vitamin A. This includes vending machines.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Vending machines as a whole are good to investigate any time you see them because they have tons of stuff like bottles of clean water, nutrient and calorie dense snacks, and stuff like V8. You don’t even need to smash them open, it’s not like money has a lot of uses as it is.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

If you go into the mods folder and look for the simplified nutrition mod, you can open the modinfo and set obsolete to false and not have to worry about the horrendous and totally unwanted and unneeded vitamins system at all.

There's a lot of features added over the years people didn't like that I was either okay with or wasn't bothered enough to mod them out (gun magazines and dirty clothes come to mind) but the god-awful vitamin system has never been one of them.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Oh that's nice, I might look into that in the future.

E: Can mods be activated in such a way for an already present safe or does it only work on new games/worlds?

I just murked and butchered a cow and dang that sure is a ton of stuff you get from it. Currently pulling an all-nighter to process and preserve as much as I can before it spoils

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 26, 2020

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Vehicles - I'm a bit short on tools but I want to make something I can drag things around in. Can I build a folding wooden frame with a folding wooden box on, fill it with cargo, and grab it to drag it off somewhere?

Griz
May 21, 2001

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Vitamin A is probably the hardest to get right now. Always take cans of V8 and bags of dried seeds, both are high in Vitamin A. This includes vending machines.

if you have triffids nearby, each one produces like 80 portions of vegetables with lots of vitamin A and C for 25kcal each that can be pickled or canned, and also a few hundred stalks that turn into 80 plant fiber per hour.

Rockopolis posted:

Vehicles - I'm a bit short on tools but I want to make something I can drag things around in. Can I build a folding wooden frame with a folding wooden box on, fill it with cargo, and grab it to drag it off somewhere?

wooden frame, light wooden frame, and a seatbelt makes a 1-tile travois that holds 75L

Griz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 26, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

You'll need to get some caster wheels. You can try looting a grocery store and hoping its got a shopping cart outside

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So I recruited an npc sorta on accident. I mean it was a one in five and I just wanted to see what happens :v:

What can this NPC do aside from following me and probably dying in the process? Ideally I would like them to just hang out in my base for the time being until I feel like I want to actually engage with their mechanics

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 26, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tin Tim posted:

So I recruited an npc sorta on accident. I mean it was a one in five and I just wanted to see what happens :v:

What can this NPC do aside from following me and probably dying in the process? Ideally I would like them to just hang out in my base for the time being until I feel like I want to actually engage with their mechanics

the mechanics are super complicated and weird but you can just drag 'em home and tell 'em to wait simply enough.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I completed the Old Guard "kill the bandits" quest, which was alot easier than expected since they were blind as hell in the dark.

I then got told the next mission was to support an attack on a research center somewhere. I assume this quest isn't implemented yet?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Rockopolis posted:

You can do that, you might need casters though from shopping trolleys if your strength isn't high.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

I completed the Old Guard "kill the bandits" quest, which was alot easier than expected since they were blind as hell in the dark.

I then got told the next mission was to support an attack on a research center somewhere. I assume this quest isn't implemented yet?

I haven't done the quest, but research facilities are in the game. Very large overmap structures with several levels and okay loot, comparable to those 1-floor labs.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Palcontent posted:

I haven't done the quest, but research facilities are in the game. Very large overmap structures with several levels and okay loot, comparable to those 1-floor labs.

The above-ground part has a lot of comparatively hard to find (but not necessarily super useful) science equipment, but they also have an extra-large Lab underneath the basement behind a card reader and security floor, usually with bonus loot and/or tunnels to other Labs.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

the mechanics are super complicated and weird but you can just drag 'em home and tell 'em to wait simply enough.
Nice. I've told her to "guard" in my main building which I assume accomplishes the same thing

And yeah I looked through most of the explanations your NPC can give you for the mechanics and boy do I not want to mess making a faction camp

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Doomsayer posted:

The above-ground part has a lot of comparatively hard to find (but not necessarily super useful) science equipment, but they also have an extra-large Lab underneath the basement behind a card reader and security floor, usually with bonus loot and/or tunnels to other Labs.

Oh nice, I just left one without exploring the basement. Time to turn around.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a guide out there to a lot of the basic stuff you can do that's not very complex but also not intuitive? Things like how you break into a gun shop and so on. I get the basic game well enough but I often run into problems with a lot of those situations where you can't just like, pick the lock or something, because the game expects you to do something specific but doesn't really indicate what it is.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Apparently the place I'm meant to assault is a Necropolis?

Kinda annoyingly vague since that tileset could be anywhere. From what I'm gathering its an endgame-intended area anyway.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 26, 2020

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Dandywalken posted:

Apparently the place I'm meant to assault is a Necropolis?

Kinda annoyingly vague since that tileset could be anywhere. From what I'm gathering its an endgame-intended area anyway.

Last I heard (watching one of Vormithrax's playthroughs), Necropolises aren't spawning in the game of late. That was a few months ago, they could well have fixed that since then. Or not.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Necropolises apparently look like this

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Motherfucker posted:

You can do that, you might need casters though from shopping trolleys if your strength isn't high.
Vat grown bodyguard, 14 strength is enough to just grab a folding wooden frame with a folding wooden box, but I got frustrated with trying to manage the volume so I just went with the "drag ground objects". Took a while and it was getting dark so I dropped the stash and dashed off to an LMOE shelter I found. I'll finish in the morning.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Oops, turns out the LMOE shelter has a bunch of handy supplies and tools, but has a broken generator and is completely dark. I think I'll take a day or two to sort through everything and then move on.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lmao what the gently caress is with the heat issues in this game? Flamethrowers are loving awful to use since being within sight of a fire will cause terrible burn wounds.

I think someone earlier mentioned it makes cooking near open flames also nearly suicidal

Edit: googling it, apparently it used to cause you to vomit when overheating continuously so you'd just collapse and be unable to move due to vomiting spam? Thats loving amazing

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I use a mod (from Goatgod's Mods Unleashed) to reduce temperature penalties. There's another to eliminate them entirely but that seemed too far to me.

In my latest game I also set the cataclysm to happen in autumn so I could skip summer.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I like the sound of that, I'll have to grab that mod.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Lmao what the gently caress is with the heat issues in this game? Flamethrowers are loving awful to use since being within sight of a fire will cause terrible burn wounds.

I think someone earlier mentioned it makes cooking near open flames also nearly suicidal

Edit: googling it, apparently it used to cause you to vomit when overheating continuously so you'd just collapse and be unable to move due to vomiting spam? Thats loving amazing

It doesn't even have to be an actual fire, I switched a space heater in winter once and after a minute of reading my survivor was in dry roasted agony.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Cataclysm: takes forever to defrost anything without a frying pan, but try to read and within minutes your character is simmering in dry roasted agony

early spring starts suck rear end too

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It has something to do with enclosed spaces. I can light a fire for hours in a ground level house with a window open and I might get up to warm. Turn on the gasoline CBM in an enclosed car and I’ll cook myself in a minute or two.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm not having the heat troubles you guys are, I've run my brazier and wood stove and done stuff a few tiles away without melting.

[edit] Tested it a bit and it appears the reason I'm not having trouble is because I'm keeping the garage open, when I close the doors I'm overheating within ~4-6 tiles of the wood stove wearing modest clothing (no jacket). So, uh, I guess, put your fires outside or near a door or something?

Doing pretty OK a few days in. Got a Garage base set up some distance from the town I started nearby, have collected most essential tools I need to start working on a vehicle. I even managed to find and recover a relatively intact Hippie Van that I'm sorely tempted to build up like I did in my last game. Alternatively there is a solar-powered SUV abandoned just outside the garage, it just needs wheels (which I could pull off the Hippie Van) and replacement solar panels (two are wrecked, the other two are barely intact (purple |. ). Another alternative is there is an Ambulance also outside the garage which needs its controls replaced, but it also has extensive frame damage.

The hippie van is the least damage so I'll probably just start working on it, though it is a bit small for a mobile base. First though I might try to figure out what the best foldable go-kart type vehicle I could build is. Just a little 1x1 vehicle I can zip around to scout poo poo in. Bicycles are working ok, but I've had a few close calls riding through cities and its annoying when a zombie somehow manages to get on the basket on the back and comes along for the ride, biting at me the whole time.

Or maybe I'll just make a kitted out folding utility cart out of a shopping kart.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 27, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

One semi-exploit you can do with damaged solar panels is make them into reinforced panels. They will come out at full HP. You can also do this with damaged storage batteries, combine 2 of them into a full HP heavy storage battery.

E: Someone upthread asked about locked gun stores. You can use an acetylene torch to punch through bars or the locked door, activate a hacksaw (or toolbox) to cut metal on the window bars, or use a jackhammer on the walls. This also applies to the locked “high end” electronics stores. If you go in through the windows you can open the door from the inside so that you can bring a cart in for looting.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 27, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well considering I'm only Fab3 with no Mechanics yet, that is probably a ways off. I need to find a library to raid or something. There is also a couple gunstore in the further big cities I've found I wanna hit up and pray for a 762x51 rifle. I've got some M4s I got off a few Zombie soldiers, but less than 3 mags of ammo for them. Meanwhile I managed to find a crashed gunship and recover about 250 rounds of 762 from its guns.

The idea of sneaking into major city areas isn't appealing though, I've never been good at fighting massive amounts of zombies, so if I get bogged down I'd be a gonner. That said I'm playing a Freerunner, so running for my life is my specialty :v:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The humble pickax will mine through any door, wall or steel shutter without needing any extra bits, and if your melee skill is good enough to ignore a -1 to hit makes a dandy weapon in it's own right. I never leave home without one. Loud though, so you might wanna thoroughly clear your scavenging site first.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm not having the heat troubles you guys are, I've run my brazier and wood stove and done stuff a few tiles away without melting.

[edit] Tested it a bit and it appears the reason I'm not having trouble is because I'm keeping the garage open, when I close the doors I'm overheating within ~4-6 tiles of the wood stove wearing modest clothing (no jacket). So, uh, I guess, put your fires outside or near a door or something?

putting fires outside isn't really an option when the average temperature is around 34F which it is at least weeks into spring.

If you aren't burning poo poo in an enclosed area you're risking frostbite unless you're going to encumber yourself to the point that firearms and only firearms are viable forms of defense.

if you ditch the heavy clothes and take off in the car and happen to get trapped overnight hiding in some local former-business, welp be prepared to lose a couple fingers and toes.

Like no joke, all the liquids are perma-frozen through the first 2 months of spring. Any ingredients you find need to be defrosted or you can't cook more than toast-ums and maybe hot dogs, or a sloppy joe and you get lucky on a warm(er) day. Spend less than an hour in your room with a woodstove and it goes from cozy to a sweatbox though.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is this down to world gen? I'm starting day 60, haven't had any cold issues. Haven't had much in the way of heat issues, either. I have "Hot: Mouth" but I can't tell if its doing anything.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Spring day 60 is pretty warm. Default start is day 31 which is usually frozen overnight and high 30s-low 40s during the day.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I was some kind of dumbass and decided to set my worldgen to day 0, so the first day of spring. It sucks rear end and I can't imagine what a full winter into spring would be like.

Unrelated, but can anyone make the "Overrun" scenario work? I can't without a massively overpowered starting PC. There's just.. too many things and even if you don't bother loading up you can't get past the turrets. And if you try to take out the turrets you get mobbed by literally one hundred military zombies. If the answers is something along the lines of shooting down Z-levels, I haven't yet figured out how, if at all, that's possible, since the most natural possible thing is to find ammo and a roof and start thinning the herd.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hell I can't get Overrun to launch period. It cant find a good spot to place it during Worldgen.

Also the heat issue is huge in enclosed stuff like ant tunnels or the Vault under the necropolis. Open areas its much more manageable, as noted.

Also I really hope they set up railroad stations to properly work and have connecting track. Having a personal death train would be loving amazing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Hell I can't get Overrun to launch period. It cant find a good spot to place it during Worldgen.

Also the heat issue is huge in enclosed stuff like ant tunnels or the Vault under the necropolis. Open areas its much more manageable, as noted.

Also I really hope they set up railroad stations to properly work and have connecting track. Having a personal death train would be loving amazing.

You could build a vehicle in the subways if you wanted to.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

The Lone Badger posted:

You could build a vehicle in the subways if you wanted to.

I tried this and there wasn't any way to place the finished vehicle on the tracks or the build it on the rail to begin with. Similar issues with derailments. At least in the stable release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have seen prebuilt rail vehicles in an experimental. The seat was broken though so of course I couldn't use it :downs: