Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Doomykins posted:

I too love Code Veronica, the time attack mode was great, it had a magic janky super knife and some of the creepy bit pieces really nailed it like the Suspended Doll theme, Nosferatu, the Arctic base and so on. Also thought Alexia was cool as a final boss.

Frugalist, Minimalist and Carbon Footprint in one go as Leon A Assisted. Hall of Shame: Diamond Key, T Tool, Electric Tool all taking up space as I got on that train. Learned the hard way that you can't discard before that check mark. Had a truly harrowing detour in the police station when it turns out you can't discard the replacement keypad keys for any reason. I feel like Hardcore will be a breeze despite all evidence just because I can backtrack, evade/kite enemies in wasteful long paths, juggle items with the box and heal myself again.

Fun fact about Code Veronica and it's time attack mode.

I got the original Code Veronica on the Dreamcast in the PAL regions when it came out. And I spent months running those time attack modes trying to S Rank them. I could never do it. Only managed to S Rank Wesker's, and that one you automatically got at S Rank when you completed it.

And for years I assumed that there was some trick I was missing as I ran my rear end off on those runs.

Then a year ago I remembered all about that mode and I checked some YouTube videos of how people did it to see what I was missing.
And honestly, they looked exactly like my runs. I couldn't see any tricks.

Then I did some research and found out that when the Dreamcast version was ported to PAL regions it had it's framerate changed due to the way PAL TV's worked.
But they never adjusted the times required in the Time Attacks mode to take account that the game just ran a fraction of a second slower at all times.

So the times required to S-Rank those challenges were just impossible to achieve in that game. All that time I spent trying to get the Infinite Ammo Linear Launcher for my second CV playthrough was wasted.

So from then on, I have always done research on what was needed to get the infinite weapons cheats for Resie games and enjoyed playing through them with said weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That's painful. That's like when my brother remarked how hard the licenses were in Gran Turismo... Because he thought you had to gold every one for it to count

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I suppose. At least I had an answer as to why I never got them back in the day as opposed to "git gud scrub."

Speaking of getting God, I finally Platinumed RE3 last night.

Was good. I'll echo everyone's comments about Nightmares final boss fight being a huge wakeup call compared to the rest of the game.

I didn't find it this controller breaking challenge but it did take about 10-12 attempts.

After that Inferno wasn't so bad. Yes there are more spots to hit, but after Nightmare I had the pattern for dodging down anyway.

What I did learn on my Inferno fight against final Nemesis

1) He can hit you with his body when he falls down after getting all his weak points blown up. That was annoying.

2) He recovers very fast on Inferno.I had left the furthest generator to last, but between being dazed by the acid clouds he had recovered by the time I got over to push it in.
I then learnt he has an instant kill attack where he bites off Jill's head if you get too close to him

3) Even when you push in all the generators he can still attack you when you are collecting the rail gun. Best to dodge him before you ho for it.

4) The final shootout scene with Nicholai has a really short time to shoot him, and if you fail you die and have to go back to your last save file. Which wasnt fun.

Oh and I lo e all the games Easter Eggs. I didn't realise that you can get two different lines of Carlos from the recruitment poster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xtdd2AVJQs

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

Fun fact about Code Veronica and it's time attack mode.

I got the original Code Veronica on the Dreamcast in the PAL regions when it came out. And I spent months running those time attack modes trying to S Rank them. I could never do it. Only managed to S Rank Wesker's, and that one you automatically got at S Rank when you completed it.

And for years I assumed that there was some trick I was missing as I ran my rear end off on those runs.

Then a year ago I remembered all about that mode and I checked some YouTube videos of how people did it to see what I was missing.
And honestly, they looked exactly like my runs. I couldn't see any tricks.

Then I did some research and found out that when the Dreamcast version was ported to PAL regions it had it's framerate changed due to the way PAL TV's worked.
But they never adjusted the times required in the Time Attacks mode to take account that the game just ran a fraction of a second slower at all times.

So the times required to S-Rank those challenges were just impossible to achieve in that game. All that time I spent trying to get the Infinite Ammo Linear Launcher for my second CV playthrough was wasted.

So from then on, I have always done research on what was needed to get the infinite weapons cheats for Resie games and enjoyed playing through them with said weapons.

PAL RE2 (I think) had a similar thing, in the manual it mentioned being able to get an S-rank. I tried so hard but could never get one, despite beating it in like 2 hours, no first aid sprays, no saves.... I later discovered the PAL version ranked ABCD whereas the Japanese version ranked you SABC and they just didn't translate the manual correct.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there a certain number of upgrades you need to buy to unlock others? Haven't had any in forever and I'm past the cage part after you shoot the wine bottle in the painting. Though damage is less of an issue than ammo at this point

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

codo27 posted:

Is there a certain number of upgrades you need to buy to unlock others? Haven't had any in forever and I'm past the cage part after you shoot the wine bottle in the painting. Though damage is less of an issue than ammo at this point

Are you talking about in RE4? Upgrades become available with game progression. You just have to get to a certain point before the next set shows up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

codo27 posted:

Is there a certain number of upgrades you need to buy to unlock others? Haven't had any in forever and I'm past the cage part after you shoot the wine bottle in the painting.

The what now?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

codo27 posted:

No, upgrade level is tied to the Merchant you talk to. Later Merchants have more upgrades.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like I should have more available by now but I underestimate how long the game is. 10:50 playtime through the end of the mine cart scene. Oof

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

So I snagged my S+ on Leon A in RE2 Remake. I'm very glad I watched Carcinogen's LPs; those boss strategies for Birkin 3 and Super Tyrant made things a hell of a lot less stressful, even if I didn't follow them exactly; I also didn't follow his pathing as close as I could, took a few hits along the way and managed to get myself out of at least one potentially game-ending blunder. The toughest part of the game, I think, was the G-Adult nest in the sewers. Saving just before that, and before each of the final two bosses got me through. Final time was 2 hours, 11 minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

I feel like I should have more available by now but I underestimate how long the game is. 10:50 playtime through the end of the mine cart scene. Oof

I feel like when people say the game is short they're remembering their 2nd+ playthrough when they were blitzing through everything because they knew what to do where to go and were done sightseeing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Someone said RE4 is short? They never played the PSX RE games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would say being slightly too long is actually RE4's main flaw, it never gets unfun but they start leaning a bit too heavily on "more badguys with more armor" as the main challenge later on.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

Someone said RE4 is short? They never played the PSX RE games.

I worries me slightly that I can zip through the PC version of RE '96 in less than an hour while abso-loving-lutely killing everything in my way. Door-skipping really cuts the time down on that one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I would hate to see the time I have on REmake now that I unlocked Hunters and have 20 saves. At least that drat door got fixed.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

itry posted:

1 minute in... :stare:

Edit:

I'm in tears.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
RE4's length is perfect to me just from the sheer visual variety. Like the lava room where you snipe the spouts as you go to get the stuff to get the tram started? There's absolutely zero reason for that room to exist on any level of plot/level design/themes/whatever, it's padding.

But it rules because it's a fuckin' lava room where you snipe dudes and splashes around. It justifies itself because it's a new thing visually and a slightly newish enemy behavior and new type of room to have to deal with.

I genuinely feel like on a first play through it keeps that variety up through the whole game, even if it's not AS varied as the transition from like going from the village through everything to the castle later on. I think it only feels long to some towards the end because the enemy variety isn't really there later on, they only really add the heavy road warrior dudes with the clubs. There's other "new" enemies and with new armaments but their behavior isn't different from everything you fought before. And I understand not wanting to overuse the Regenators because that whole area is :perfect: The Garrador in the castle is an awesome design but those heavier guys on the island are like a pale imitation of it.

But also because of how it controls, I think they sort of had their hands tied, if they went full Nightmare City and just had the island guys be like soldiers taking cover/etc., I mean that type of game didn't even really exist at the time as we know it now, and I doubt it would have been fun with RE4's controls (exhibit A, any of the parts in RE5 where you have to take cover).

Voice over-wise, they really should have given the island enemies as big a difference as there is from the villagers and the castle monks. Because even the monks don't act THAT differently, but they feel like a totally different deal from the villagers because of the level design and how they're armed and stuff, the game's look and sound does a lot of the heavy lifting with its enemies to keep things interesting.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I really wish they’d port the GameCube versions of 2 and 3 over to the Switch and tweak the controls like they did with REmake1 and Zero.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Does anyone know if any DLC is being planned for RE3? Maybe something with one of the side characters?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

RE4's length is perfect to me just from the sheer visual variety. Like the lava room where you snipe the spouts as you go to get the stuff to get the tram started? There's absolutely zero reason for that room to exist on any level of plot/level design/themes/whatever, it's padding.

The best is that ridiculous giant wheel thing that brings you to that area, I believe thats where it was. Its like some contraption a child would make out of lego

ufarn
May 30, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone know if any DLC is being planned for RE3? Maybe something with one of the side characters?
Probably not unless it's some kind of franchise crossover. Jill will probably pop up in Monster Hunter: World eventually.

Monsters in RE3 is basically Dino Crisis, so- wait, I really loving want this to happen now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

codo27 posted:

The best is that ridiculous giant wheel thing that brings you to that area, I believe thats where it was. Its like some contraption a child would make out of lego

Ahaha yes you're right and that is a perfect description of it. I remember the first time I played the game because of how silly it looks I just assumed I was going to some optional bonus shooting range or something.

Then later on you run into the giant Salazar statue THAT WALKS YESSSSSSSSS loving awesome

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I love that statue so much that I don't even mind paying the QTE price to see it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

codo27 posted:

It's basically a giant steampunk Segway.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I never understood the complaints about QTEs in RE4. There are only two things they can be (A+B or L+R) and there's no penalty for pressing any wrong buttons so you can just mash everything all at once to insta-succeed every time.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The quicktime events that are just running or dodging a single thing thing are tolerable enough, but the extended quicktime fights are a pain because the button is never the same twice, so you can't really prepare, and in the meantime you have to sit through the same sequence over and over. They're not the worst QTEs ever, but the game would be objectively improved by getting rid of at least half of them.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I never understood the complaints about QTEs in RE4. There are only two things they can be (A+B or L+R) and there's no penalty for pressing any wrong buttons so you can just mash everything all at once to insta-succeed every time.

Ah, except if you played the PC release back when it would display 1+2 or 4+5

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I swear that RE4's QTEs, at least the Krauser fight, were harder on GameCube. Maybe I was just younger and even worse at video games, though.

Also given they just spit out RE3make, when can we expect Code Veronica remake with extensive playable Steve segments?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Ah, except if you played the PC release back when it would display 1+2 or 4+5
Or E and X, or C and Z. It was even keys that you don't actually use to play the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you played it on the Wii it was A+B or WAGGLE FOR YOUR LIFE

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

NikkolasKing posted:

I swear that RE4's QTEs, at least the Krauser fight, were harder on GameCube. Maybe I was just younger and even worse at video games, though.

Also given they just spit out RE3make, when can we expect Code Veronica remake with extensive playable Steve segments?

Its not on the cards at the mo, they went straight to re8 and re4r.

They listen to feedback tho so maybe one day but not anytime soon, i think we will have the rebecca rev3 before any cv remake.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Or E and X, or C and Z. It was even keys that you don't actually use to play the game.

To be fair, the port was terrible and there was an always succeed QTE mod out a week later, but it definitely marred the nostalgia I have for RE4 when I think back on it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Spherehunter did an RE2 playthrough with Leon's voice actor btw:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/606690824

Get it while it's still up.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Its not on the cards at the mo, they went straight to re8 and re4r.

They listen to feedback tho so maybe one day but not anytime soon, i think we will have the rebecca rev3 before any cv remake.

Wait, RE4R, as in a remake? I dunno about that one. Redoing classic RE with a more modern style was fine but RE4 remade...they would just make it worse, IMO. It has some antiquated controls now but it's still nowhere near as different as old school RE is from the new remakes.

I don't like Code Veronica, BTW. I was being sarcastic. I just figured it was an inevitability. I'd still say it's better than RE3, for sure. But I'm not a huge fan of either game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

To be fair, the port was terrible and there was an always succeed QTE mod out a week later, but it definitely marred the nostalgia I have for RE4 when I think back on it
Yeah, I don't consider that a fair criticism either, because it's specifically an issue with the port, not the game. It's just so absurd that I wanted to mention it, for the sheer wtf of putting QTEs on random buttons that you don't even play the game with.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I returned to the mansion and making use of the Helmet key, went unlocking every door left. Then I come across Frank opening the door as he always does in my false runs, and he turned into a red, all angry at me. This drat game won't give me a break. I thought they had to die first, but even standing zombies turn angry and I know of a long corridor where four possibly red zombies could open their doors when I make my rounds.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The theme of this post is Adagio For Strings.

Playing RE2R on Hardcore Leon A, finishing the police station, X behind me after I get the magnum, opt to loop around the third floor via the library, fresh licker spawns, almost got the first down when tackled, goodbye infinite knife. Juke safely. Save before the crocodile, endure the usual two deaths on him, clear Ada's section and Leon hits the service lift button. Just have to reach a new writer with a box and my extra ribbon or find a new ribbon spawn.

Game crashes.

Really glad this is the training run S before I consider S+ but God drat, God drat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

There’s a Resident Evil 3 board game on Kickstarter. Same people as the RE2 one, making some minor improvements on the gameplay.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, RE4R, as in a remake? I dunno about that one. Redoing classic RE with a more modern style was fine but RE4 remade...they would just make it worse, IMO. It has some antiquated controls now but it's still nowhere near as different as old school RE is from the new remakes.

I don't like Code Veronica, BTW. I was being sarcastic. I just figured it was an inevitability. I'd still say it's better than RE3, for sure. But I'm not a huge fan of either game.

well you're gonna find out how worse they make it in 2 years so look forward to that haha.

yeah i get you on CV, i've come to prefer the darkside chronicles version personally but then i still kinda enjoy the og wesker stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

it is physically painful to mash buttons for some people