Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Terrible car poo poo: My fiance's 2016 TTS took a direct rock strike to the windshield from a landscaping truck on the freeway. The rock looked like it somewhere between a golf ball and a baseball. Fortunately it looks like after striking the glass, it bounced over the rest of the car and didn't damage anything else.

Should we even bother trying to use the dealership to replace it? I feel like I have heard things in the past about OEM glass being better over whatever Safelite installs, but I have no idea if that's true. Will Safelite be competent enough to safely reinstall the rain sensor and mirror assembly?

However, I'm also reading online that some (all?) dealerships wouldn't file claims through insurance for things like windshields.

Any advice for what we should do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I just had my S4s windshield replaced by safelite yesterday in fact, they were able to do the rain sensor and the mirror without issue. How well it holds up we'll see.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

You can buy access to VW's service manuals online and download them all to your PC. Has to be done only once. Comes with everything including torque specs. How to do all the stuff to your car etc.

https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MetaJew posted:

Terrible car poo poo: My fiance's 2016 TTS took a direct rock strike to the windshield from a landscaping truck on the freeway. The rock looked like it somewhere between a golf ball and a baseball. Fortunately it looks like after striking the glass, it bounced over the rest of the car and didn't damage anything else.

Should we even bother trying to use the dealership to replace it? I feel like I have heard things in the past about OEM glass being better over whatever Safelite installs, but I have no idea if that's true. Will Safelite be competent enough to safely reinstall the rain sensor and mirror assembly?

However, I'm also reading online that some (all?) dealerships wouldn't file claims through insurance for things like windshields.

Did you go after the truck owner or didn't manage to catch the license? People who don't secure their loads are the worst.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Did you go after the truck owner or didn't manage to catch the license? People who don't secure their loads are the worst.

As best I could tell, the truck just happened to kick up a rock that was already on the freeway, and we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The trailer was empty, but it was the sort that you might see a bunch of ride-behind lawn mowers loaded onto, and that sort of equipment. I didn't see any sign of gravel or rocks on it, but seeing a big rock flying at your face followed by a loud crack really gets your adrenaline pumping, so who knows.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

MetaJew posted:

As best I could tell, the truck just happened to kick up a rock that was already on the freeway, and we were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The trailer was empty, but it was the sort that you might see a bunch of ride-behind lawn mowers loaded onto, and that sort of equipment. I didn't see any sign of gravel or rocks on it, but seeing a big rock flying at your face followed by a loud crack really gets your adrenaline pumping, so who knows.

Ah ok. That sucks. :(

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

MetaJew posted:

Obviously Honda is not VW but our local Honda dealership filed the claim for us. Call and ask

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Safelite replaced the windshield on my R, and two years later they did it again when the glass started to delaminate at a corner. So take that for what you will. It took a while or so for that corner to get bad enough I wanted to take it in, and they honored their warranty 100%

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Make sure wherever you go has a national warranty in case you move, are out of town, etc.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Safelite did the windshield on my m3 a few months ago. I had them use glass from the OEM supplier. I have glass coverage and they wouldn't cover the significantly more expensive glass with a BMW logo on it. I was more than fine with it just being the same supplier to be honest.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

blk posted:

Don't have a garage or spot to do my own work these days. Would a 1st gen A7/S7 be a nightmare to own out of warranty?

The 1st gen A7 really tickles me. The proportions are just so and while a long car, it looked rather normal sized even when I drove by in my Fit. The hatch seals the deal. I'd also like to know about reliability of these if anyone has experience. I assume the twin turbo 8 has more potential for issues than the supercharged 6.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

fknlo posted:

Safelite did the windshield on my m3 a few months ago. I had them use glass from the OEM supplier. I have glass coverage and they wouldn't cover the significantly more expensive glass with a BMW logo on it. I was more than fine with it just being the same supplier to be honest.

How do you determine or guarantee that they use an OEM-supplier window?

Another question from Safelite's website, is which glass would you pick?

Strangely the non-shaded glass is more is more expensive?

Shaded:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

How do you determine or guarantee that they use an OEM-supplier window?

I looked at who made the OEM glass and then talked to Safelite. They're one of the aftermarket suppliers as well and Safelite carried their glass.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2007 (MK5) GTI

Noticed my lumbar support motor thing wasn't working anymore. After checking fuses (they were unbroken), looked under the seat and found this:

Found the other end buried in the seat and extended it with some appropriately gauged wire.

Tucked it all away with lots of extra wire available if I need to back off the tension a little, but seems fine.

I had to start the car up to move it over a little to make getting the seat back in and now I have an airbag fault . Will this clear by itself or do I need to find a grouchy man with a vag-com to clear it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VelociBacon posted:

I had to start the car up to move it over a little to make getting the seat back in and now I have an airbag fault . Will this clear by itself or do I need to find a grouchy man with a vag-com to clear it?

Computer to reset now that the light's showing.

In the future, always make sure the battery is disconnected before disconnecting any of the yellow connectors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Computer to reset now that the light's showing.

In the future, always make sure the battery is disconnected before disconnecting any of the yellow connectors.

Sorry, you mean I have to get someone with a computer (Vag-com?) to reset it now right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry, you mean I have to get someone with a computer (Vag-com?) to reset it now right?

Yup. Unless there's some kind of trickery I don't know about.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Yup. Unless there's some kind of trickery I don't know about.

Alright, thanks.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
If you have one of those wifi or bluetooth OBD connectors, you might be able to clear it with Carista. I was able to nix engine codes on my MKV Rabbit with it, at least.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bigman.50grand posted:

If you have one of those wifi or bluetooth OBD connectors, you might be able to clear it with Carista. I was able to nix engine codes on my MKV Rabbit with it, at least.

I do! And I have Carista. I'll check it out later.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had that problem on the passenger side. Took it to the mechanic, they looked at it, said "I dunno," and gave it back, but the light was now off. :shrug: I figure they reset the error when diagnosing.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

fknlo posted:

I looked at who made the OEM glass and then talked to Safelite. They're one of the aftermarket suppliers as well and Safelite carried their glass.

Okay, so dealing with Safelite with the Covid-19 stuff is a huge pain in the rear end. No matter what I did I was unable to speak to someone over the phone yesterday. Eventually explained to the online chat support my issues and they were able to call me and give me prices for the OEE and OEM glass.

These are the prices Safelite gave me:
code:
OEM $1039.99 plus disposal and tax
OEM with shadeband - 689.99

Non OEM - 369.99 + tax with shade band
non OEM without shade band - 469.99 + tax and disposal
My fiance decided she wanted the shade band style-- and as a plus, I guess it's nice that it's a little cheaper. She decided for that price, she wants to file through her insurance, but the deductible is apparently nearly $500, so assuming they don't try to jack up her premium after this, we should be good.

I have a long rant about trying to navigate their phone system to talk to a Human, since the OEM glass isn't an available option on their online appointment system, but that's not worth anyone's time. Long story short: If you want to speak to a human you have to claim your calling for a new appointment and you will file with your auto insurance to pay for it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MetaJew posted:

Okay, so dealing with Safelite with the Covid-19 stuff is a huge pain in the rear end. No matter what I did I was unable to speak to someone over the phone yesterday. Eventually explained to the online chat support my issues and they were able to call me and give me prices for the OEE and OEM glass.

These are the prices Safelite gave me:
code:
OEM $1039.99 plus disposal and tax
OEM with shadeband - 689.99

Non OEM - 369.99 + tax with shade band
non OEM without shade band - 469.99 + tax and disposal
My fiance decided she wanted the shade band style-- and as a plus, I guess it's nice that it's a little cheaper. She decided for that price, she wants to file through her insurance, but the deductible is apparently nearly $500, so assuming they don't try to jack up her premium after this, we should be good.

I have a long rant about trying to navigate their phone system to talk to a Human, since the OEM glass isn't an available option on their online appointment system, but that's not worth anyone's time. Long story short: If you want to speak to a human you have to claim your calling for a new appointment and you will file with your auto insurance to pay for it.

If she's filing through her insurance anyway, why not just take it to the dealer?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

meatpimp posted:

If she's filing through her insurance anyway, why not just take it to the dealer?

I don't know the details of her insurance policy, but the dealer wouldn't handle filing through the insurance company-- and quoted her $2,000+ for the service. I asked if she spoke to her insurance company about how handling a claim or reimbursing her for the dealership service would be handled, and she's stubborn and didn't want to bother with it.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

MetaJew posted:

I don't know the details of her insurance policy, but the dealer wouldn't handle filing through the insurance company-- and quoted her $2,000+ for the service. I asked if she spoke to her insurance company about how handling a claim or reimbursing her for the dealership service would be handled, and she's stubborn and didn't want to bother with it.

Check your state laws too. In NY was covered 100% no deductible usually, though a company could drop you for excess claims without warning.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I pay a few extra bucks a month for glass coverage here in Colorado. It's absolutely worth it here with the rocks they put down on the roads in winter. I wouldn't be surprised if 1/4 of the vehicles on the road here in winter have cracked windshields at any given time. I've had a crack or chipped windshield on a Golf TDI, my GTI, and my M3 here. I didn't even live here when I had the TDI.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I just got done getting hosed on an Sq5 3.0 supercharged. So im putting out a PSA. Car is low miles (40k) car previously overheated driving through the dessert. Got to me with a sticky thermostat replaced everything involved including all hoses. Car came back after 60 miles with intake runner codes. Intake runners seam to be working just fine under a vacuum pump. Replaced the actuator solanoid. Same codes. Upon further inspection the linkage actually twists when it goes from full open to full close on both banks. Giving a false voltage reading to the sensor. Car probably had that problem when it came in for the thermostat however it would not set the runner code untill the thermostat was fixed. Just a heads up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
We picked up a '13 Passat TDI SE with DSG with like 199k miles, its in decent shape but I suspect the AC compressor is failing, high pressure on low side and takes forever to get cold. Also needs rear wheel bearings, easy fix, but shifts and accelerates well.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Well you know the engine has another 300k on it anyway 😀

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dialhforhero posted:

Well you know the engine has another 300k on it anyway 😀

Yeah, the motor will last a long time, and DSG clutch packs are fairly straightforward to do.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, the motor will last a long time, and DSG clutch packs are fairly straightforward to do.

With that kind of mileage in that short of time, I'd think it saw almost entirely freeway miles, so the clutch packs should have a good chance of a lot of life left?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

With that kind of mileage in that short of time, I'd think it saw almost entirely freeway miles, so the clutch packs should have a good chance of a lot of life left?

Yup, per TDIclub, theres a lot of people with 200k+ having zero issues with the clutchpacks.

Going to do the DSG fluid and filter anyways just to be safe.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-volkswagen-golf-3/

The gently caress?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
mark 4 was real good other than the sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight problem of reliability

lol at payin 6 gs for a 2.slow tho

edit: or 8 gs fuckin a

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 5, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

All those pics and not a single one of the cup holders

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

All those pics and not a single one of the cup holders

They were operating the camera

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
RIP Passat wagon. Started making a turbo death rattle back in February before lockdown, plus I managed to wash the only remaining key for it and mess up the fob. At least i got another 3 months out of it after my deer impact repair.

I had it for 80k miles since 2009 and during that period spent around $11k in maintenance.

Insert boyfriend meme about German cars and Korean cars, garage is Kia and Genesis now.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 3, 2024

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

devmd01 posted:

RIP Passat wagon. Started making a turbo death rattle back in February before lockdown, plus I managed to wash the only remaining key for it and mess up the fob. At least i got another 3 months out of it after my deer impact repair.

I had it for 80k miles since 2009 and during that period spent around $11k in maintenance.

Insert boyfriend meme about German cars and Korean cars, garage is Kia and Genesis now.

$1k/year doesn't seem terrible?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wanted to say I picked up the official Carista OBD2 adapter (my older bluetooth adapter wasn't the full protocol that carista uses, worked for torque level stuff only) and it's worked really well. I cleared the airbag fault, reset the service interval, and turned on flashing brake lights during extreme braking. I tried turning on the long-press remote function to roll windows down but it didn't work. I guess it's not supported in my vehicle (Mk5 GTI). I used it on my partner's 2013 Jetta to turn DRL on (I'm in Canada) as well.

It was about the same price on Amazon as any other adapter so I'm pleased. It comes with a free month trial of the full app features which I used for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

VelociBacon posted:

Just wanted to say I picked up the official Carista OBD2 adapter (my older bluetooth adapter wasn't the full protocol that carista uses, worked for torque level stuff only) and it's worked really well. I cleared the airbag fault, reset the service interval, and turned on flashing brake lights during extreme braking. I tried turning on the long-press remote function to roll windows down but it didn't work. I guess it's not supported in my vehicle (Mk5 GTI). I used it on my partner's 2013 Jetta to turn DRL on (I'm in Canada) as well.

It was about the same price on Amazon as any other adapter so I'm pleased. It comes with a free month trial of the full app features which I used for this.

drat, that's good to know. Nice find and glad you got that light off cheaply!