Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

If someone made a version of Streets of Rage with a character creation feature and all the moves from the WWE games I would basically never have to buy another game again.

The closest you'll get to this is Def Jam Fight for NY and it was really goddamn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Deacon91 posted:

My memory is a little rough but it was the master system that had the door you could close and had Alex the Kid in built right?

Yeah, a game I never got any good at lol, also imagine thinking Alex Kidd was going to go up against Mario. Thank God someone invented Sonic.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

The closest you'll get to this is Def Jam Fight for NY and it was really goddamn good.

I know, it's my favourite game of all time and I deeply wish someone would make another one.

I would settle for Yakuza with a character creation system..

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm looking forward to the soundtrack most of all. I've been keeping an eye out for when they put up pre-orders on the vinyl. The only SOR vinyl I own is for SOR2. I am afraid to look up ebay prices for the other two.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah, a game I never got any good at lol, also imagine thinking Alex Kidd was going to go up against Mario. Thank God someone invented Sonic.

Doesn't matter if you weren't any good just remember the paper scissors rock games haha

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
They’ve shown off a new boss today, looks awesome

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1252620610686955521?s=21

Looks like the bazooka cops are no longer on your side.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Are my fists on my side?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Overbite posted:

Are my fists on my side?

Always

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Al-Saqr posted:

They’ve shown off a new boss today, looks awesome

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1252620610686955521?s=21

Looks like the bazooka cops are no longer on your side.

I feel FDR expresses my feelings on the situation with the bazooka cops succinctly

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
This is being released on Xbox game pass at launch and I hope it will also be on pc game pass.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

A nice article about how Lizardcube's artists approached redesigning the characters to fit the new art style:-

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/23/how-lizardcube-redesigned-the-characters-of-streets-of-rage-4-out-april-30/

also, to psyche myself up for the game coming out in a week from today, I will be beating all three games I'll write what I think of the first game tomorrow!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beat Streets of rage 1, my thoughts on it are as follows:-

Good:-

The real selling point and draw for this game is by far the aesthetics of it, the colors, moods and audio experience of it is utterly fantastic and the simple pixel graphics and color communication is loving godlike aesthetics. really really cool.

Fighting is fun, bazooka cop is cool. Once you understand how essential throws and jump kicks are to he game is gets much easier.

Audio and music are godlike.

Bad:-

The enemies are really good at Hyena tactics, they actively avoid your hits and pick at you at the worst possible times.

The game was surprisingly difficult. Especially a couple bosses like the Freddy Kreuger and Girl twin bosses. I think the game is still carrying the arcade mentality of screwing the player over for more time on the clock.

The Girl Twin Bosses are the absolute woooooorst.

Overall a nice short satisfying game!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Man, SoR2 was one of those games, like Super Metroid and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, that I would sit down and play through if I had to kill an hour or so. Do! Baseball!

It owned so much because you could just cheese it. Effortless stunlocks, killing basically any enemy with one "GRANDMA PAW," etc.

Then SoR3 comes out and you have to actually pay attention and make an effort and poo poo :argh:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im unbelievably excited for this, cannot wait to once again only trust my fists

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

You can cheese Mona & Lisa in all their fights by paying attention to where they land after they perform their flying kick and then grabbing them and pounding on them.

They're a lot easier on Stage 5 than at the end of Stage 8, too.

SoR III is actually my favourite game in the series and the music was so ridiculously ahead of its time. It's not a popular opinion but it's one I'm sticking with at least until this comes out!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mona and Lisa are also really easy to cheese with the back attack (B+C).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

You can cheese Mona & Lisa in all their fights by paying attention to where they land after they perform their flying kick and then grabbing them and pounding on them.

They're a lot easier on Stage 5 than at the end of Stage 8, too.

SoR III is actually my favourite game in the series and the music was so ridiculously ahead of its time. It's not a popular opinion but it's one I'm sticking with at least until this comes out!

I loved SOR3 because playing as Shiva was badass. I wish there was a way to play as all the bosses. The Freddy Kreuger from SOR1 and Ultimate Warrior from SOR2 would be so cool.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I loved SOR3 because playing as Shiva was badass. I wish there was a way to play as all the bosses. The Freddy Kreuger from SOR1 and Ultimate Warrior from SOR2 would be so cool.

I just love the names of the bosses in Streets of Rage.

The Ultimate Warrior ripoff is actually called Abadede, lol

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dell_Zincht posted:

I don't know if i care too much for fart techno but the remixes from remake make a lot of that music good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shine posted:

It owned so much because you could just cheese it. Effortless stunlocks, killing basically any enemy with one "GRANDMA PAW," etc.

You can only stun lock early bosses. Later ones (like Abadede) will break out of it easily.

Later ones can even block GRANDMA PAW

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Panzeh posted:

I don't know if i care too much for fart techno but the remixes from remake make a lot of that music good.

:catstare:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
People are crazy about SoR2 Axel but once you understand how Max works he can melt almost every boss and slide into back throw to deal with most mooks.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Fart techno lol it's okay if you don't get it but whatever

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’ve been playing streets of rage remake and I must not understand how to properly play this because as max whenever I get near a boss to throw it I get thrown instead. And I’m slow. There must be a trick or something.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Overbite posted:

I’ve been playing streets of rage remake and I must not understand how to properly play this because as max whenever I get near a boss to throw it I get thrown instead. And I’m slow. There must be a trick or something.

Most bosses need to be put into hit stun or be vulnerable to throw them- Remake cleaned up a lot of the easy loops from the originals so it mostly ends up being hitstun if you want to throw bosses. The key in remake is to get off of the boss's z-axis if you want to approach them but you still need to hit them to throw them most of the time.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The thing that always separates good and bad Beat-Em-Ups to me is the quality of the grappling system. If you only have one generic throw (like Double Dragon Neon), I pretty much put it in the bin. Being able to do things like clinch, f+attack x2, then jump to flip sides, then back throw make the SoR series my favorite. The special moves really put it over the top for me.

I cannot get into any Beat-Em-Up that expects you to just do the x4 regular attack string infinitely foreverially without any variation.
E: Also I hope there's no funky interactions with the RS or anything because I'd like to use my fightstick to play this

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 24, 2020

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Firstborn posted:

The thing that always separates good and bad Beat-Em-Ups to me is the quality of the grappling system. If you only have one generic throw (like Double Dragon Neon), I pretty much put it in the bin. Being able to do things like clinch, f+attack x2, then jump to flip sides, then back throw make the SoR series my favorite. The special moves really put it over the top for me.

I cannot get into any Beat-Em-Up that expects you to just do the x4 regular attack string infinitely foreverially without any variation.
E: Also I hope there's no funky interactions with the RS or anything because I'd like to use my fightstick to play this

Aww man double dragon neon was a legit great game with a great experience. Also one of the raddest soundtracks ever.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hold up, you CAN play as Abadede in Streets of Rage Remake???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbNsW-BM5TI

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You can only stun lock early bosses. Later ones (like Abadede) will break out of it easily.

Later ones can even block GRANDMA PAW

Abadede can be stunlocked. You just gotta space out the punches enough for him to exit his stun animation for a frame or so, so he won't do his counter flex dealie. You can also bait him into charging or leaping at you and just GPAW him. Shiva only sometimes blocks GPAW, so if you keep baiting him into charging you and then GPAW'ing, he'll go right down. The first boss boss and his clone in the elevator can block it, but in practice you can just spam it and he'll take damage anyway. That weird Wolverine claw boss can also be cheesed by baiting him into charging into a GPAW.

GPAW aside, the A-combo is OP as hell and works on several bosses, such as the fat boxer dude and Shiva (you can break out of their grapples with it). Mr. X doesn't counter the A-combo at all, so if you can avoid getting shot and get close to him, you'll unload every hit on him (since he helpfully shoots all the enemies who could otherwise interrupt you).

Basically, the only time enemies in SoR2 are a threat is if a bunch of annoying ones surround you, like in the conveyor belt level where you might have several of those ninja guys and cattle prod ladies at once. SoR2 is about the most braindead and cheesable beat-em-up ever, and I really appreciated that 15 years ago after working a triple shift. :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

To this day my rear end will still get slide tackled by those guys though

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It...really depends. Like, when the Streets of Rage Remake thread was about everyone was like "WTF is this?!" in terms of difficulty, because that thing-as good as it is/was-was made by experts for experts, and the thing is, most....aren't. Don't think I'm putting myself in the 'expert' category. Hardly.

I'm interested to see how 4 turns out in terms of difficulty.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bloodly posted:

It...really depends. Like, when the Streets of Rage Remake thread was about everyone was like "WTF is this?!" in terms of difficulty, because that thing-as good as it is/was-was made by experts for experts, and the thing is, most....aren't. Don't think I'm putting myself in the 'expert' category. Hardly.

I'm interested to see how 4 turns out in terms of difficulty.

Remake was definitely made for people who were pretty good at SoR2, and you can notice that especially on the higher difficulties where the enemies move insanely quickly. They also got rid of most of the easy loops from the old games so the bosses are trickier- Abadede in remake is significantly more difficult to get in a loop, but some characters can fairly safely jab him from outside his retaliation range.

R. Bear in remake can be cheesed by baiting out the butt drop by standing at a diagonal from him and then sliding/dodge rolling out of the way to get in free hits when he lands.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

This modern era of Sega licensing out their IPs to indie devs for remakes (Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Panzer Dragoon) and sequels (Monster Boy, Streets of Rage 4) is both cool as hell since Sega always seems like it wants to do as little with their legacy IPs as possible, but also sad as hell because they have such a large IP vault that they neglect constantly. Sonic Mania is like the closest thing to one of those project they actually got involved with beyond just licensing it, and that's because Sega seems to only make Sonic and Yakuza games anymore (waiting on those Yakuza remasters to get on PC). I'm hoping the new Sakura Wars game is a sign of them starting to go use their stuff again, but I doubt it.

In any case, I hope more legacy Sega games are churned out by indie devs if this is their future.

It's really great that they've been open to people like DotEmu or Christian Whitehead just taking the ball and running with it in regards to things like classic Sonic stuff or SoR4, plus letting M2 go hogwild on the Sega AGES collection. Really wish Konami would take a similar approach in letting other hungry indie devs take a shot at their stagnating IPs. Maybe if SoR4 does well Sega will open the floodgates. Imagine how loving awesome a new Comix Zone would look from people who did SoR4 or if we could get a new Shining Force revival. Hell, maybe they'd drag out Jet Set Radio or OutRun. So many fantastic things they could let other people make while they churn out Yakuza and Persona stuff.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
Everyone should go check out Guard Crush (SOR4 dev)'s previous game: Streets of Fury EX.

Currently it's on sale for half the price of a drive-thru meal. - https://store.steampowered.com/app/350910/Streets_of_Fury_EX/

It's like Guardian Heroes meets Guardians of the Hood.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That LOOKS terrible. I can see how the gameplay might be good though.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Anyone know if this has cross-play? I've got a few potential players on PS4 but I'm on PC and XBox.

Too bad it's not being released on Microsoft Store because I'd love to play it on both.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Finished Streets of Rage 2, here are my thoughts:-

Overall, this game feels like a big jump in overall quality, the sprites are bigger, there's more animation, it's just a bigger nicer package than the first game.

GOOD:-

-- Bigger brighter sprites, more frantic action, more exciting gameplay.

-- Bosses look cooler and such

-- Audio is still great despite re-uses and remixes.

Gripes:-

-- The game clearly feels like it was balanced for two-players, the game punishes you in extremely difficult ways if you dont have someone else keeping other enemies off your back. especially in the later levels when the game throws everything including the kitchen sink at you it becomes hair-pullingly difficult to manage alone.

-- gently caress YOU BIG BEN.

-- The Music in this game feels more limited, I think it's because it's largely remixes of the first games music and there's less of it overall, but I guess they had to make more room for the bigger sprites.

-- Whoever decided to put the ninja boss along with the flying boss in the same fight shouldve gone to prison.

-- Despite the graphics being objectively better, I felt the game became less color-controlled and lost alot of the moody aesthetic palette that the first game pulled off, the first game had much more theming of the colors assigned to each level and the overall abstract nature of the first game, I liked the color work of the first game alot and while this second game is objectively better rendered, it went for a more cartoony aesthetic that lost that mood of the first game.

Overall, an excellent sequel, but one you should definitely not play alone.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

The Music in this game feels more limited, I think it's because it's largely remixes of the first games music and there's less of it overall, but I guess they had to make more room for the bigger sprites.

Whaaaaaa? Sorry but I cannot agree in the slightest that SoR II's soundtrack is largely made up of remixes, that's just not true at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRDKoBfKDLo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov1ULTDTdiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xC8PnEUmwY

Tell me how any of these iconic tracks are in any way related to tracks from the first game?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Whaaaaaa? Sorry but I cannot agree in the slightest that SoR II's soundtrack is largely made up of remixes, that's just not true at all.

Tell me how any of these iconic tracks are in any way related to tracks from the first game?

Oh poo poo, my brain completely mixed up between them you're right I must've lumped them all together in my memory hole. My bad. I couldve sword there was quite a bit of overlap. I think the reason why is that I've been listening to alot of remixes lately so they mustve swam all together in my brain.

I started SoR3, I dont think I'll be playing through all of it, the music is dreadful, the sprite work on the chracters is great but the backgrounds are really gaudy and distracting. I like the Charging bar system for the power moves, it seems to be more of the same of SoR2, but with really awful music. Also gently caress me I went a hard 'nope' once I saw that they brought back Mona and Lisa for another boss fight lol.

Anyways, here are some new videos Lizardcube put out highlighting each characters moves, by far Adam looks the coolest to me:-

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1254440585483730948?s=20

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1254069907999928321?s=20

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1253702340466618370?s=20

Also a cool little tweet from the music composer on his software he used for the soundtrack:-

https://twitter.com/oderiviere/status/1253724824918245377?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Is it wrong opinions day today lol, SoR III's soundtrack is incredible. Yeah sometimes there's so much stuff going on at once it can be confusing to listen to and perhaps jarring in places but hell, how can you not like this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzoXQGO28BQ

(Maybe I just like it because I actually like Techno and Gabber music, either way I think it fits with the atmosphere of the game really well and Yuzo Koshiro was way ahead of his time composing these tracks.)