Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seinfeld’s comedy was awful in the 90s, i don’t even want to imagine what it’s like now

He owes Larry David his career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Seinfeld, the show, is extremely funny, but the standup bits are almost universally terrible. I like the bit about fear of public speaking versus fear of death, but that's about it.

Also Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17-year-old while Seinfeld was on the air.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJYmf_G5d0

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In case you're wondering, the Lego franchise is now with Universal after leaving WB. Get ready for Lego Minions chasing Lego dinosaurs in Lego Dominic Toretto's Lego Technic Dodge Charger (this is an actual new set btw).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll be cool with Lego King Kong.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lego Dark Universe incoming!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Baron von Eevl posted:

Aaaannnnd it’s been cancelled.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Baron von Eevl posted:

Already had it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seinfeld’s comedy was awful in the 90s, i don’t even want to imagine what it’s like now

He owes Larry David his career

I would challenge anyone to read Sein Language. Written at what should have been his creative peak filled with his A material.

Just wow

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad we're in agreement that not only does Seinfeld's sans-david comedy suck, but the man himself sucks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I always thought Seinfeld's deal in the show was that he was kind of a bad stand-up comedian.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

davidspackage posted:

I always thought Seinfeld's deal in the show was that he was kind of a bad stand-up comedian.

And yet he’s successful enough in universe for a whole episode to revolve around him buying his dad a Cadillac (though part of the sustained misunderstanding in that ep had one guy going “No way is Jerry that good to make that much money. Morty Seinfeld must be embezzling!”)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Seinfeld, the show, is extremely funny, but the standup bits are almost universally terrible. I like the bit about fear of public speaking versus fear of death, but that's about it.

For years, I didn't get the show until I was watching the stand-up of Jerry and thought his stand-up being god-awful WAS the joke, and then I was able to enjoy the show, because from that I connected that all of the group were just... bad people.

Then I find out the stand-up was trying to be ACTUALLY funny, and I'm kinda bamboozled.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'll be cool with Lego King Kong.

Wasn't he already in Lego Batman?

Does Universal own Illumination? We might be in for more Lego Mario.

...I'd be absolutely loving down for Super Lego Mario Maker.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Samovar posted:

For years, I didn't get the show until I was watching the stand-up of Jerry and thought his stand-up being god-awful WAS the joke, and then I was able to enjoy the show, because from that I connected that all of the group were just... bad people.

Then I find out the stand-up was trying to be ACTUALLY funny, and I'm kinda bamboozled.

also half of them were bad people

(im assuming Julia Lewis D and Jason Alexander are decent anyway)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

davidspackage posted:

He was successful enough in the show that he was able to get a TV show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Also Jerry Seinfeld dated a 17-year-old while Seinfeld was on the air.

The only standup joke he does that I like is the one that mocks laundry detergent commercials by saying that if you're trying to get bloodstains out of your clothing, laundry might not be your biggest problem

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I would challenge anyone to read Sein Language. Written at what should have been his creative peak filled with his A material.

Just wow

It'd make a good toxx. Although there was definitely a trend where comedians just basically slightly reconextualized their act somewhat, then put it in a book. So unless you regard his standup as the entertainment equivalent of eating glass, it'd probably just be stuff you've already heard watching his show and be kinda humdrum, as opposed to say, reading Bill O'Reilly's foray into fiction or Sean Penn's book (which a writer friend of mine described as "spellbindingly lovely").

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 25, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They make fun of his stand-up on the show constantly, and they stop doing those bits eventually. It's weirder to contextualize these days but that kind of observational comedy was just not super mainstream before Seinfeld. I've seen him do stand-up once and yeah I could not tell you a single joke from that set, but Jerry was always more of a comfortable, playful performer than an actually funny writer, as is the case with many of the most popular mainstream stand-up comedians. He knows how to work a room and make people have a good time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Yeah he's doing a character when he's on stage, of this picky new york person who's a little dumb and a lot arrogant and we all know he's playing and most of it is harmless jokes

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The jokes on the show weren’t his actual stand up jokes, they were part of the script.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, about nothin'!

I didn't really equate his character's success with him being good at his job, I guess.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

muscles like this! posted:

So was the comedian that Jerry thought was terrible. I think they were making fun of the Networks throwing TV shows at every comedian they could.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jerry was the original clean comedian dan nainan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/TODAYonline/status/1252771874989203457

Let the culling of celebrities begin, sorry we had to start here

Tom Hanks plays Tom Hanks in: Who Redlighted?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It'd make a good toxx. Although there was definitely a trend where comedians just basically slightly reconextualized their act somewhat, then put it in a book. So unless you regard his standup as the entertainment equivalent of eating glass, it'd probably just be stuff you've already heard watching his show and be kinda humdrum, as opposed to say, reading Bill O'Reilly's foray into fiction or Sean Penn's book (which a writer friend of mine described as "spellbindingly lovely").

I essentially read Sein Language years ago. It's not linear or anything, so you can just read random chapters and be fine.

It's a lot of the stuff you heard on the show. I don't remember anything standout about it one way or the other. Definitely not horrifically bad or insane enough for a toxx. Tim Allen wrote a few comedy books, too. That might be better material.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I’ve read shampoo instructions that were more entertaining and insightful but ymmv

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Tim Allen wrote a few comedy books, too. That might be better material.

“Jerry Seinfeld sucks, read Tim Allen books instead” is one hell of a loving opinion.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

“Jerry Seinfeld sucks, read Tim Allen books instead” is one hell of a loving opinion.

They're saying Seinfeld's book isn't toxx enough for a toxx, while Allen's books might be. C'mon.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I read Allen's book I'm Not Really Here when it came out and it's him largely wandering around while having intro to philosophy/physics level discussions in his head. Carlin's Brain Droppings is the superior 1997 book

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why hasn't anyone stabbed Tim Allen for being a snitch?

or at very least broken a leg or two.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone with motive to do that doesn't want their kid to be known as the kid who's dad stabbed Buzz Lightyear.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Lol like anyone would care past the 10 minutes of curiosity

Get another buzz who isn’t a Chud

Assuming they make another toy story

Who am I kidding we’re gonna get another half dozen straight to Disney plus alone

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Realistically speaking, I don't think it's the Buzz Lightyear thing, there'd just be way, way too much heat on someone who murdered a Hollywood celebrity regardless of what that celeb is famous for.

They don't want their kid to be the "his dad stabbed Buzz Lightyear" guy, sure, but I imagine they REALLY don't want their kid to be the kid whose dad is spending life in prison.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I mean realistically it would be someone he ratted out.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol like anyone would care past the 10 minutes of curiosity

Get another buzz who isn’t a Chud

Assuming they make another toy story

Who am I kidding we’re gonna get another half dozen straight to Disney plus alone

Toy Story 4 felt like the writers did their best to give Tim Allen the absolute minimum number of lines they could get away with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And in Toy Story 3 he spend half the movie with a different VA speaking Spanish.

Just have the cartoon guy who also voices Brock Samson do it. (You may know him better as Kronk)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And in Toy Story 3 he spend half the movie with a different VA speaking Spanish.

Just have the cartoon guy who also voices Brock Samson do it. (You may know him better as Kronk)

Patrick Warburton is great!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Who did Tim Allen rat out, and in what context?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw Jerry Seinfeld live once. It was alright, audience questions was just a bunch of unfunny chuclkefucks making reference to his TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I always figured that having the "straight man" role of the group be a lame comedian who's successful despite/because of being unfunny, mediocre, and self-absorbed, and then that being replicated in reality from the show's ensuing popularity, was just another one of the show's jokes.