Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wow 1BR is extremely not what I was expecting. I liked it a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGzb01GrsxQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The_Doctor posted:

4 has some nicely creepy moments, and 5 (Ghost Dimension) is just terrible, straining too hard to keep its 3D gimmick. I haven’t seen the Marked Ones, but apparently that’s alright?

Dark Mijo is quite good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

T Bowl posted:

So Possessor loving rules. Watch it.

Possessor!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

T Bowl posted:

So Possessor loving rules. Watch it.

POSSESSOR

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is Possessor out on VOD? I'm taking a shot in the dark nobody's seeing it in theaters or at festivals at the moment. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dark Mijo is quite good.

What’s that?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

So I watched Memory Alien last night and it was cool but really weirdly unbalanced and short. If you double-feature it with Jodorowsky's DUNE it might satisfy but you do have to wonder how Elm Street, Hellraiser and Friday the 13th can garner HOURS LONG relatively successful documentaries and this was just an hour and a half. Surely it's time for a 6 hour Alien doc? I'd watch the poo poo out of it.

Also PSA Alien Isolation is £1.50 on Steam today, fantastic horror video game I highly recommend.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The_Doctor posted:

What’s that?

The Latinx themed entry in the Paranormal Activity series: The Marked Ones.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I’m still cheesed that they’ve never released a VHS version of Paranormal Activity 3. Cowards!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BisonDollah posted:

So I watched Memory Alien last night and it was cool but really weirdly unbalanced and short. If you double-feature it with Jodorowsky's DUNE it might satisfy but you do have to wonder how Elm Street, Hellraiser and Friday the 13th can garner HOURS LONG relatively successful documentaries and this was just an hour and a half. Surely it's time for a 6 hour Alien doc? I'd watch the poo poo out of it.

Also PSA Alien Isolation is £1.50 on Steam today, fantastic horror video game I highly recommend.

I’d watch the alien anthology special features. They’re super in depth and cover every aspect of the making of the film. I believe each doc is about 3 hours give or take including the little extra bits they didn’t add in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"Memory Alien" is a fantastic title.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

"Memory Alien" is a fantastic title.

That was me being lazy. It's MEMORY: ORIGINS OF ALIEN and the first 5 minutes are arty as gently caress then it becomes a talking head-a-thon. Stealing the title for my next short, though.

I love the extras on the quadrilogy boxset, probably those and Evil Dead 2 extras is what made me fall so in love with film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
memory: origins of alien is pretty good too!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

but what about Alien Memory Origins: Of

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Finally got around to watching Modsommar. Florence Pugh was amazing and it's a crime she didn't get more recognition during awards season.

The movie itself was funnier than I was expecting once you get past the harrowing opening. The slow zoom on the boyfriend when she's asked to pick who should be sacrificed was great.

I also really liked the fact that the movie doesn't try to surprise you. It more or less tells you what's going to happen and the focus is on the way the events impact the characters.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Zamboni posted:

Finally got around to watching Modsommar. Florence Pugh was amazing and it's a crime she didn't get more recognition during awards season.

The movie itself was funnier than I was expecting once you get past the harrowing opening. The slow zoom on the boyfriend when she's asked to pick who should be sacrificed was great.

I also really liked the fact that the movie doesn't try to surprise you. It more or less tells you what's going to happen and the focus is on the way the events impact the characters.

I thought the tone of the final 30 or so minutes was surprising. The dread melts away pretty quickly, and it focuses on the catharsis of literally burning her toxic connections, hollow husks of people, and embracing community

I keep seeing literal readings talking about being groomed by a cult to endorse never and like, yeah sure but why are you reading it literally lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Latinx themed entry in the Paranormal Activity series: The Marked Ones.

Searching for it just brings up a band.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pomp posted:

I thought the tone of the final 30 or so minutes was surprising. The dread melts away pretty quickly, and it focuses on the catharsis of literally burning her toxic connections, hollow husks of people, and embracing community

I keep seeing literal readings talking about being groomed by a cult to endorse never and like, yeah sure but why are you reading it literally lol

Because she's being indoctrinated into a cult of white supremacists to be used as breeding stock, that's not a good thing.

The cult is a predatory force that preys on the isolated to grow stronger, and in fact may in fact be responsible for her isolation in the first place, given that flower crown that can be seen at the home of her dead family.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I kept expecting a monster in Midsommar

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The monster was us all along.

It always is!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Modsommar starring...Twiggy

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Because she's being indoctrinated into a cult of white supremacists to be used as breeding stock, that's not a good thing.

The cult is a predatory force that preys on the isolated to grow stronger, and in fact may in fact be responsible for her isolation in the first place, given that flower crown that can be seen at the home of her dead family.

I mean yes, joining a predatory murder cult is bad, but that guy was a real rear end in a top hat.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Daft Punk is scoring the new Argento

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Any good found footage movies I may have missed? I've seen and enjoyed:

VHS + VHS/2
Paranormal Activity (more or less)
Creep + Creep 2
As Above So Below

There are ten billion found footage movies on Amazon etc., what else is worth a watch?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Midsommar is about isolation driving someone into a toxic group that pretends to care about you while actually only caring about what you can give it. That said, I totally get how people could miss that moral and walk away longing for the kind of community the racist death cult provides. We live in a society (bottom text) that's increasingly isolated and since humans are naturally social animals that can take a severe toll on our mental health and make even extremely unhealthy group dynamics look appealing just because we're so desperate to be a part of something.

Like, to use a similar example from my own life, I watched a play through of "discover my Body" during a recent and particularly nasty depressive episode and thought "that actually seems kind of nice, I wish I could belong to something in that way" (right after I had this thought I instantly realized this was a sign I needed to go back on meds immediately, I'm feeling much better now): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b69bNslA-II

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

This sounds awesome but let's not forget that Argento has sucked rear end for decades.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheAardvark posted:

VHS + VHS/2
Creep + Creep 2
As Above So Below

There are ten billion found footage movies on Amazon etc., what else is worth a watch?

I just finished Murder Death Koreatown (rented on Amazon) and liked it a lot. It takes a real life murder, and the movie is the filmmaker losing his mind over trying to investigate it and trace every conspiracy theory.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Holy poo poo Dario Argento is still alive

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Kvlt! posted:

Holy poo poo Dario Argento is still alive

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the virgin daft punk vs the chad Daniel Lopatin

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Midsommar is about isolation driving someone into a toxic group that pretends to care about you while actually only caring about what you can give it. That said, I totally get how people could miss that moral and walk away longing for the kind of community the racist death cult provides. We live in a society (bottom text) that's increasingly isolated and since humans are naturally social animals that can take a severe toll on our mental health and make even extremely unhealthy group dynamics look appealing just because we're so desperate to be a part of something.
Midsommar is a Cannibal Holocaust-esque Tribal Horror Movie that sees if people will treat it as such if the tribe is a bunch of white people. I don't like it that much, but that underlying trick is pretty cool.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Instead of Corman having a backyard film festival for budding filmmakers stuck at home, he should have had a film festival for "holy poo poo they're still alive?" directors stuck at home. I'd kill to see Corman and Argento and Bogdanovich and Friedkin make backyard movies.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

TheAardvark posted:

VHS + VHS/2
Creep + Creep 2
As Above So Below

Noroi
Troll Hunter
REC
REC 2
Hell House LLC
Grave Encounters
Afflicted
The Taking of Deborah Logan
The Borderlands
Savageland

the first three being top tier that I'd recommend to everybody

Stink Billyums fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 27, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Timeless Appeal posted:

Midsommar is a Cannibal Holocaust-esque Tribal Horror Movie that sees if people will treat it as such if the tribe is a bunch of white people. I don't like it that much, but that underlying trick is pretty cool.

Yes exactly, white people who are very polite about their ritualistic murders.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stink Billyums posted:

the first three being top tier that I'd recommend to everybody

Yea Troll Hunter and Noroi are probably two of the top-5 found footage horrors ever made. They'd be on my personal top-5 at least.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

married but discreet posted:

This sounds awesome but let's not forget that Argento has sucked rear end for decades.

and daft punk started sucking rear end a decade ago! they have so much to learn from the maestro.

his daughter is involved too. ugh.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Yes exactly, white people who are very polite about their ritualistic murders.
It's even a black dude who is the anthropologist studying them and people of color must freaked the hell out by the rock scene.

I want to like Midsommar

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Troll Hunter and Noroi are probably two of the top-5 found footage horrors ever made. They'd be on my personal top-5 at least.

I've seen Troll Hunter and the REC movies, forgot about those, but Noroi looks great.

Thanks for the recs y'all

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

Thanks for the [REC]s y'all

:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I'm sorry to be a nag, but the (very cool) COOL CORN may have missed my question so I'm throwing it open:

Anybody know how to enter a Shudder promo code when you're already a member (he/she said the "shutin" one works for newbies and existing people alike)? Searching is getting me nothing and I'm suspecting it's only doable during the signup process :(

Watched The Bay (as I'm apparently a masochist). Really tight and gripping ff movie, if a bit too close to the way the UK has handled the 'rona at points!