Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The experimentals have this little attraction called Luna Park show up in/around some towns that's got a bunch of rails and miniature trains to ride in. I found one that was intact so I hopped on and floored it and wound up jumping the track and blowing through the back wall of the little barn the ride finally ends at before a tree stopped it. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Did you survive? :v:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Without a scratch actually, which amazed me because the little thing itself blew into loving pieces at the impact.

You wouldn't think a miniature train could reach speeds of over of 90 in a couple seconds, or at least I didn't...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

At least you're having fun in the cataclysm.

Speaking of Fun, drat its hard to keep my character's mood in the black. I've pretty much only got junkfood (which I'm trying to avoid gorging on) and an MP3 player (is a smartphone better? I've scavenged a few of those) to provide any mood buffs.

I forgot how annoying some things like mood could be in this game. Another issue I'm having is encumbrance and carrying capacity. ofc thats somewhat my fault for using a staff sling and a quarterstaff or spear... I need more compact weapons. OR just to get my tailoring high enough to start making some better storage options.

I do have a hiking backpack I could wear, but the encumbrance once it starts filling is kinda crazy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Books can be decent mood buffs. If I need to regenerate focus I sit for an hour or so reading fun books. Any given book's mood buff stacks up to a limit of four times, but then you can read a different book.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Optimist is a trait that grants a flat +10 to your mood at all times, so thats handy. Bookworm grants extra fun from reading I think nearly anything so even poo poo like chemistry texts books are a good time, pal it up with Spiritual and reading motel bibles becomes highly stimulating. Then you have stylish, which will stack up to 10 for every different bit of fancy gear your wearing.

Certain mutation lines help out, Mouse for example will give you Gormend and Suger Lovin so eating a a pack of necro waffers is worth a solid +7 morale right there. Skinny dipping or wearing certain water friendly clothes are +20 for a bit and I think that goes a good bit higher if your some kind of fishy or slimy mutant...

I want to say you could decrypt those random SD chips you find here and there on one of those ink PC things, and sometimes there would be would be music files or photos that you could then transfer to your phone to upgrade the morale bonus from music or looking at photos? I don't know for sure if that still works.

Edit: oh yeah, I find more cocaine then you'd think out and about so that can really get your motor running.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 27, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I picked Addictive Personality, so I'm not sure I'd want to resort to drugs with an unreliable supply. :v:

Unrelated: Am I reading this right? Can my staff sling basically be used as a sliiightly less good quarterstaff in melee combat? Cause if so, poo poo, thats good.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Maybe, TBH. Damage is lower than it looks (quarterstaff is 19dmg/1.36 turns ~= 14 versus staff sling at 18dmg/1.46 turns ~= 12.3) but if you’re actively using the staff sling to throw rocks you probably want to use it for melee too. You will lose 1-3 turns swapping the staff sling for the quarter staff, so the lower melee damage probably more than evens out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think I might just go back to a standard sling for now, the rocks are just too bulky to use as ammo with my limited volume capacity.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Tin Tim posted:

Behold the Lightytm

What tile set are you using?

I want to give Cataclysm a try and a good tile set helps me a lot when getting into a rougelike.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My mood stays high from stylish and being blinged out. Just because its the apocalypse is no excuse to not be fly AF

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

My mood stays high from stylish and being blinged out. Just because its the apocalypse is no excuse to not be fly AF

stylin' on em :frogc00l: :slick: :snoop:

side_burned posted:

I want to give Cataclysm a try and a good tile set helps me a lot when getting into a rougelike.

Looks like UNDEAD_PEOPLE if it's the same one I use

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

side_burned posted:

It's the UndeadPeople tileset. You can just find it through google

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Lmao, I just found a recipe for a H&K MP5 hidden in a briefcase. Even the item description says it's unwieldy and worse in every way than just having the gun. Why, why put it in a game where weapon concealment is never ever a thing.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
So I haven't played since WhalesDev days and am wanting to poke at this again; what version/mods should I be going for, and where be get they, for a nice reintroduction to this mess that isn't too 'murders fun for "realism" sake' but still got that nice crusty layer of mechanical cruft?

And any tips or advice or play traps to watch out for my transition from wildly out-of-date game knowledge to todays stuff, at least that I've not osmosed out of the past 20 or so pages of the thread?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Lmao, I just found a recipe for a H&K MP5 hidden in a briefcase. Even the item description says it's unwieldy and worse in every way than just having the gun. Why, why put it in a game where weapon concealment is never ever a thing.

"Drop yer weapon!" Scowled the bandits.

Cooly I drop my rapier and with a sly chuckle fastdraw my trusty Walther PPQ from it's ankle holster, emptying the magazine right into the leaders dim looking visage for a gobsmacking 19 damage before my internally armor plated arms are blown clean off my body by a hail of laser accurate zip gun fire.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Leal posted:

Stylish is a deceptively good quality-of-life trait. Necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings, and hair accessories are all over the place, and you can absolutely festoon yourself in that poo poo for a big permanent mood boost with literally no drawbacks at all. Plus it's funny to imagine your heavily armoured survivor trundling around with Mr. T-style gold adornments hanging from every extremity, showing off their useless wealth to the uncaring dead.

For the unaware, the effects of a better mood are subtle, but omnipresent - happiness affects your focus and thus your learning speed, and getting your mood exceptionally high can positively influence your health, give you bonus speed, and buff your stats (particularly Intelligence) until it drops again.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Jawnycat posted:

So I haven't played since WhalesDev days and am wanting to poke at this again; what version/mods should I be going for, and where be get they, for a nice reintroduction to this mess that isn't too 'murders fun for "realism" sake' but still got that nice crusty layer of mechanical cruft?

And any tips or advice or play traps to watch out for my transition from wildly out-of-date game knowledge to todays stuff, at least that I've not osmosed out of the past 20 or so pages of the thread?

Acid rain ain’t a thing anymore. I feel weirdly nostalgic about that.

I repeat my warning about un-obsoleting simplified nutrition as otherwise you will need to eat a healthy balanced diet in the post apocalypse if you don’t want to develop scurvy and rickets In like a week.

Learn to aim when firing. When you bring up the (f)ire command, you’ll see some bars on the right and precise, careful and regular aim. Use (.) to wait to build up your aim and lower recoil effects and choose one of the three aim types or I promise you will never ever hit anything with a gun that isn’t stuck up a zombies nostril.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is waiting to reduce recoil something that needs to be done separate from aiming or does the aim delay count for reducing recoil?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jawnycat posted:

I find your base stamina reserves and regen to be pretty puny on the whole so if you wanna buff that some you can go into the JOSN folder in Data folder of your Cataclysm folder to edit the Game Balance.JSON

Base survivor stamina regeneration is 20, I say kick it up to 40 or 50 or so.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is waiting to reduce recoil something that needs to be done separate from aiming or does the aim delay count for reducing recoil?

Waiting during the aim process reduces recoil from a previous shot - you can see the recoil in the aim menu while you're aiming and it will lower down to 'none' if you wait long enough to aim. So while you're waiting to improve your chances to hit, you're also reducing recoil effects at the same time.

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Be sure to change 'Aim window display style' from bars to number in the interface options. Makes the shooting menu much less arcane.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Plus it's funny to imagine your heavily armoured survivor trundling around with Mr. T-style gold adornments hanging from every extremity, showing off their useless wealth to the uncaring dead.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/g4q65c/when_you_spend_your_last_two_points_on_stylish/

Jawnycat posted:

You are no longer required to find a fursuit by the end of the first night to be warm enough to sleep :v:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Lucky I found the LMOE shelter - managed to catch the flu. Good place to hole up and putter around while waiting for it to go away. Should give me enough time to figure things out before having to move on to the city.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Despite the fact I am probably not going to play it I ended up making a couple things: :v:

code:
	{   "type": "profession",
    "ident": "Luchador",
		"copy-from": "boxer",
	"name": { "female": "Luchadora", "male": "Luchador" },
    "description": "When I put on the mask, I'm transformed. The mask gives me strength. The mask gives me fame. The mask is magical.",
	"traits": [ "PROF_MA_ORANGE" ],
	"skills": [ { "level": 2, "name": "melee" }, { "level": 2, "name": "unarmed" }, { "level": 2, "name": "dodge" } ],
	"items": {
      "both": {[s][/s]
        "items": [
          "under_armor_shorts",
          "shorts",
          "gloves_wraps",
	  "Lucha_Mask",
          "socks",
          "boots"
        ],
        "entries": [ { "item": "towel", "custom-flags": [ "no_auto_equip" ] } ]
      },
      "female": [ "sports_bra" ]
    }
code:
{
    "id": "Lucha_Mask",
    "type": "ARMOR",
    "name": { "str": "wrestling Mask" },
    "description": "A wrestling mask is a fabric based mask that some professional wrestlers wear as part of their in-ring persona or gimmick.",
    "weight": "40 g",
    "volume": "250 ml",
    "price": 3500,
    "material": [ "cotton" ],
    "symbol": "[",
    "looks_like": "balclava",
    "color": "blue",
    "covers": [ "HEAD", "MOUTH" ],
    "coverage": 95,
    "encumbrance": 5,
    "warmth": 25,
    "material_thickness": 2,
    "flags": [ "VARSIZE", "SKINTIGHT", "FANCY" ]
  }
Pankration seems the best fit to wrestling? Or maybe Muay Thai?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 29, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh my god, Policebots are NUTS now. I remember them just being tanks that at some point would completely lose the ability to fight back, but I've been luring this one around my town and it's slaughtered a few SWAT zombies, a Kevlar Zombie, and now it's beating the poo poo out of an Owlbear all without getting a scratch on it. I'm trying to find a car I can eventually use to end this thing's life once I run out of enemies to throw at it

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So Stylish tempted me to restart and I made a nightraid to a decent sized town the first night that got me a shopping kart, a folding bicycle (with a frame made of Orichalcum?!), all the basic tools save welding equipment, and a shitton of books from a library.

Now all I need to do is raid tomorrow night for some food and I could be set to hole up in my shelter for a few days and grind or book my way to some pretty decent skills.

Also got books for Wing Chun and Muay Thai from a dojo, but I dunno if I should bother with those right now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does the refugee center quests give you any followers? I know you can get the beggars to join you but that requires building a camp... which requires an NPC to start.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there a way to get the Shift-O Autosorting system to ignore specific items? Let's say I wanna keep a few items in my kart that might useful while raiding but not critically needed to be carried on my person (EG: a toolbox or blowtorch and welding goggles) and I don't want to have to recover them every time I sort out my loot.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

A page or two back someone was asking about Necropolises, and I said I thought they weren't appearing in the game at present. Well, apparently they are, because one showed up in my current game. I wouldn't have even noticed it had there not been an irradiated wanderer on the outskirts.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yep that was me. It was fun til I got to the vault itself and there were hundreds of them coupled with unbearable heat from my flamethrower. I actually stopped that playthough totally due to tedium.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I think I ended up clearing like a 1/4 of the necropolis and vault, got bored of killing literally hundreds of wanderers, and cheat teleported to basically every room of the vault to see if there was anything worthwhile.

There was not.

They really need to add dungeon/whatever you call it specific loot. Maybe a GECK like device for the vault or something.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there a way to get the Shift-O Autosorting system to ignore specific items? Let's say I wanna keep a few items in my kart that might useful while raiding but not critically needed to be carried on my person (EG: a toolbox or blowtorch and welding goggles) and I don't want to have to recover them every time I sort out my loot.

I’m not sure about specific items but you can create a zone that will be ignored during auto sort I believe, you could leave stuff there?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sadly my Bike only has one storage area. I guess I'll fix that tomorrow.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Create a custom sorting area that contains those specific things, put it right next to where the unsorted items go so that at least it's very EASY to recover them afterwards.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Is it actually worth it to make yourself a freezer in your base? From what I gathered it seems like I have to invest a lot into the power supply. And thawing items to cook with also seems like it's fairly cumbersome and can even ruin some of them due to the mushy tag?

I don't really have any issues with keeping my guy fed but I was wondering because I kinda want to preserve some of the more useful perishables like cheese, bread or pasta

Griz
May 21, 2001

Tin Tim posted:

I don't really have any issues with keeping my guy fed but I was wondering because I kinda want to preserve some of the more useful perishables like cheese, bread or pasta

regular bread lasts like 1-2 weeks and pasta lasts for months, just dump a bunch of flour in a root cellar and make more as needed.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

How does the mushy tag work anyway? I think I've only ever used a freezer once and it was a while ago, but I don't remember having an issue with it at the time (my memory might be fuzzy).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think when food is mushy it just gives less of a morale boost than otherwise, but the nutritional value is the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So if a staff sling can fling 0.25L rocks why can I not use it to fling 0.25L roughly rock-shaped grenades. I’m aware the whole “pull the pin and it explodes five seconds/turns later” thing can be an issue but surely an enterprising/suicidal Survivor can work out a way around that.

Maybe wrapping something around the safety lever and attaching it to the sling cradle/pouch?

What can go wrong? :gibs: