Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Is it wrong opinions day today lol, SoR III's soundtrack is incredible. Yeah sometimes there's so much stuff going on at once it can be confusing to listen to and perhaps jarring in places but hell, how can you not like this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzoXQGO28BQ

(Maybe I just like it because I actually like Techno and Gabber music, either way I think it fits with the atmosphere of the game really well and Yuzo Koshiro was way ahead of his time composing these tracks.)

I made it two levels in, so far it's complete gibberish, there's no theming, no moods, no hooks, it's just garbled farts, that's the impression I got from the first two levels, I mean, I'll push through if you like but it's really not appealing to me so far. I dunno I think they’re a big step down from the first two games tracks.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

I made it two levels in, so far it's complete gibberish, there's no theming, no moods, no hooks, it's just garbled farts, that's the impression I got from the first two levels, I mean, I'll push through if you like but it's really not appealing to me so far. I dunno I think they’re a big step down from the first two games tracks.

They're not as iconic as the first two, and there were definitely mixed opinions when the game first came out.

I wasn't on board either initially. But as my music tastes developed I was able to appreciate what Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima had done with the soundtrack.

Calling it "garbled farts" is missing the point entirely and it's pretty narrow minded, to be honest.

There's a lot of good game in the third installment, it's just a bit too hard. And not hard in a fun, challenging way. More hard in a "gently caress you game" kind of way.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Streets of Rage 3 is a game that's just kind of uncomfortable no matter what. If you play the Japanese Bare Knuckle 3 you get the intended experience but Ash an uncomfortable gay stereotype which... yeah. If you play the localization, Ash is cut from the game but there's also a bunch of boneheaded changes where enemies have inflated health, the plot is completely rewritten and doesn't make any sense, and some other balance changes were made pretty much for the worse, making it feel like a complete slog because Sega wanted to discourage video game rentals.

As for the soundtrack, it's something that sounds better in remixes than on the Genesis itself I think. I do appreciate the mechanical techno mix but I don't think it comes across very well on the Genesis soundchip. To be honest it'd sound even worse on SNES so I think it was a musical style that just wasn't viable with the platforms at the time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh cool I didn't know Olivier Deriviere was the composer on this, he did some great work on Plague Tale: Innocence. SoR seems a little outside his usual wheelhouse but I'm looking forward to some sick ultraviolence tunes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3u-kvm7u6k

That's my take on the SOR3 soundtrack as composed.

The gameplay is ehh, it has a more annoying set of enemies than 2 but it isn't that much harder, i just think the characters are not nearly as powerful as 2's, especially Axel and Max. It just has 9-healthbar bosses on mania because that's fun, apparently.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Streets of Rage 3 has some great songs, but there are a lot of them out there that either just sound like a bunch of noise jumbled together or just sound boring as hell.

The song that plays in the construction site is boring as hell

On the other hand, Dub Slash, the boss theme when you fight Mona and Lisa, and the City Hall/White House music are amazing.

Also, I feel that the American version of Streets of Rage 3 is much much harder than 2. Enemy HP is inflated and a lot of the bosses do the annoying thing of running away from you when you try to approach them, and to make matters worse, you can't even finish the game on easy if you decided to go that route.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 27, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh poo poo, my brain completely mixed up between them you're right I must've lumped them all together in my memory hole. My bad. I couldve sword there was quite a bit of overlap. I think the reason why is that I've been listening to alot of remixes lately so they mustve swam all together in my brain.

I started SoR3, I dont think I'll be playing through all of it, the music is dreadful, the sprite work on the chracters is great but the backgrounds are really gaudy and distracting. I like the Charging bar system for the power moves, it seems to be more of the same of SoR2, but with really awful music. Also gently caress me I went a hard 'nope' once I saw that they brought back Mona and Lisa for another boss fight lol.

Anyways, here are some new videos Lizardcube put out highlighting each characters moves, by far Adam looks the coolest to me:-

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1254440585483730948?s=20

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1254069907999928321?s=20

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1253702340466618370?s=20

Also a cool little tweet from the music composer on his software he used for the soundtrack:-

https://twitter.com/oderiviere/status/1253724824918245377?s=20

Is there no health bar/timer/etc? Or is this just some promo mode that de-clutters the game screen?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there no health bar/timer/etc? Or is this just some promo mode that de-clutters the game screen?

This is the programmer showing off gameplay so he switched off the UI.

They said that in the release build you'll have some control over home much clutter there is on the screen, so if you want you can remove things like combo-counters and such.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Oh cool I didn't know Olivier Deriviere was the composer on this, he did some great work on Plague Tale: Innocence. SoR seems a little outside his usual wheelhouse but I'm looking forward to some sick ultraviolence tunes.
There's a soundtrack listing available through the record label's website revealing who worked on what.

Without possible spoilers from track names:
17 tracks by Olivier Deriviere
5 tracks by Yuzo Koshiro
5 tracks by Motohiro Kawashima
2 tracks by Harumi Fujita
1 track each by Das Mortal, Groundislava, Keiji Yamagishi, Scattle, XL Middleton and Yoko Shimomura

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It took like 20 goddamn years but we finally got a "rally" mechanic for a beat 'em up i.e. being able to get back the health lost from special moves by hitting people or just not taking damage for a while. Honestly that's how it should have been because otherwise most people won't use them.

Also really digging the juggling/wallbounce mechanics here, finally you can get creative about combos especially in multiplayer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm really struggling with PC or Switch on this one.

On the one hand, I have some steambux and there will probably be cool mods for this on PC

On the other hand, I can lay in bed with my Switch and play SOR4, arguably the best way to play.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Panzeh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3u-kvm7u6k

That's my take on the SOR3 soundtrack as composed.

The gameplay is ehh, it has a more annoying set of enemies than 2 but it isn't that much harder, i just think the characters are not nearly as powerful as 2's, especially Axel and Max. It just has 9-healthbar bosses on mania because that's fun, apparently.

Oh aren't you hilarious.

Like I said, if you don't get it then fine I guess.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DLC Inc posted:

It took like 20 goddamn years but we finally got a "rally" mechanic for a beat 'em up i.e. being able to get back the health lost from special moves by hitting people or just not taking damage for a while. Honestly that's how it should have been because otherwise most people won't use them.

Also really digging the juggling/wallbounce mechanics here, finally you can get creative about combos especially in multiplayer.

Typically, in games where the player has hitstun, it's better to super joy than to take the full combo- it's pretty rare for beat em ups to have the super joy be really bad.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
In spite of the very dumb stereotyping, I would still recommend that anyone interested in Streets of Rage 3 should just play the fan-translated Bare Knuckle 3 instead because it's fun and Streets of Rage 3 is significantly less fun.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This game allows you to unapologetically beat up cops.

This game is gonna be great.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

RichterIX posted:

In spite of the very dumb stereotyping, I would still recommend that anyone interested in Streets of Rage 3 should just play the fan-translated Bare Knuckle 3 instead because it's fun and Streets of Rage 3 is significantly less fun.

I'm going to give this a shot. I haven't played the third game as much as the first two and this seems like the best way to do it. I just played SoRR last night for the first time in over a decade. Still made my mouth drop at how much stuff is in the game, like there's a shop drat forgot about that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm really struggling with PC or Switch on this one.

On the one hand, I have some steambux and there will probably be cool mods for this on PC

On the other hand, I can lay in bed with my Switch and play SOR4, arguably the best way to play.

I pre-ordered a physical Switch copy of the game, and I dunno when that'll ship. So I guess I'll get the PC version around launch.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Looks like the grab -> neutral attack now launches enemies more or less straight upwards for easy follow-ups. And they bounce off walls Dragon's Crown style for some sweet follow-up combos.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
People hating on SoR3 and its soundtrack, smdh

If it's not to your taste that's one thing, but that soundtrack was groundbreaking, in ways that SoR2 wasn't and neither was SoR1. It's withstood the test of time very, very well because of it, and innovated a bunch of techniques (like the 'curated random' sound). Is it as mainstream as SoR2? No -- it didn't literally ape a massive pop hit, and its sound is much more aggressive on purpose. But what it does, it does to perfection. Super excited to finally get a fifth entry in the series! SoRR was basically as good as a fourth game, but it's been a long time since we saw a proper reinvention of the franchise. These next three days are gonna make for an absolutely eternal wait!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Transient People posted:

People hating on SoR3 and its soundtrack, smdh

If it's not to your taste that's one thing, but that soundtrack was groundbreaking, in ways that SoR2 wasn't and neither was SoR1. It's withstood the test of time very, very well because of it, and innovated a bunch of techniques (like the 'curated random' sound). Is it as mainstream as SoR2? No -- it didn't literally ape a massive pop hit, and its sound is much more aggressive on purpose. But what it does, it does to perfection. Super excited to finally get a fifth entry in the series! SoRR was basically as good as a fourth game, but it's been a long time since we saw a proper reinvention of the franchise. These next three days are gonna make for an absolutely eternal wait!

Someone else gets it! I thought I was going mad for a while there with my appreciation for III's soundtrack.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So I'm playing some SoRR and for some reason I'm getting some problems with stuttering in fullscreen. Doesn't seem to matter what options I select beyond that, low quality, high, v-sync on or off, it's distracting though. :saddowns:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

can't believe this comes out TOMORROW holy gently caress. I've been more excited for this game than any other this year.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

:siren: :siren: :siren:

GAME IS COMING OUT TOMORROW 12 MIDNIGHT or 10:00

REVIEWS ARE DROPPING TODAY

GET HYPE YOU GUYS, STREETS OF RAGE 4 IS UPON US.

:siren: :siren: :siren:

:getin:

Here is the tweet:-

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1255498604908883968?s=20

Tweet detailing game features and options:-

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1255496737361461248?s=20

Yuzo Koshiro remix tweet:-

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1255399050016428033?s=20

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 29, 2020

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Holy gently caress that drop at 50 seconds in to that Yuzo track with the strings. The boy is back.

Also an actual stage select/arcade mode aside from the 12(!) stage game with 5 levels of difficulty, that sounds great. This is probably even more love put into a beat'emup than Double Dragon Neon, gently caress I'm even more hyped.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Holy gently caress that drop at 50 seconds in to that Yuzo track with the strings. The boy is back.

Also an actual stage select/arcade mode aside from the 12(!) stage game with 5 levels of difficulty, that sounds great. This is probably even more love put into a beat'emup than Double Dragon Neon, gently caress I'm even more hyped.

Not gonna lie, those strings got me super good, that was a sick drop.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do we know what regions its releasing at midnight?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In celebration for the imminent release here's a great mashup of SOR2 x The Shamen that I listen to every dang day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFUm8YmyXU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

First review is out from IGN:-

https://youtu.be/SBDJRiIpgG8

7/10

Basically the reviewer complains The whole time about how this is too much of a faithful streets of rage game and not a complete reinvention of the series, which quite frankly is an insane expectation to have.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://kotaku.com/streets-of-rage-4-the-kotaku-review-1843156243

kotaku review is up

complaints are some of the music and lack of 4 player online

e; read the kotaku review its written by someone who is clearly a fan of the series and their history

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 29, 2020

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Apparently the Steam version supports Remote Play Together so that could be a solution for 4 player online?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Aside from IGN (who the gently caress even reads them anymore) every review I've seen for this is positively glowing. The mad lads at Dotemu loving did it.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 29, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is this gonna be on PC Gamepass too?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I don’t have time to read the reviews yet but do any of them mention the Switch version? No lag or anything on it? Was the platform I was planning to buy it on but things can be hit or miss on it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

https://kotaku.com/streets-of-rage-4-the-kotaku-review-1843156243

kotaku review is up

complaints are some of the music and lack of 4 player online

e; read the kotaku review its written by someone who is clearly a fan of the series and their history

This is a much better and more insightful review than the IGN one by far.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Social Animal posted:

I don’t have time to read the reviews yet but do any of them mention the Switch version? No lag or anything on it? Was the platform I was planning to buy it on but things can be hit or miss on it.

The Switch-specific review from Nintendo World gave it high praise and there's been no mention of anything negative for the Switch version. By all accounts seems like you don't lose anything with the Switch.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/53617/streets-of-rage-4-switch-review

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Holy poo poo the game got a perfect 10/10 from eurogamer!!!!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-04-29-streets-of-rage-4-review-beloved-beat-em-up-gets-the-sonic-mania-treatment

Also most other reviews are glowing with praise!!

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2020/4/29/21240091/streets-of-rage-4-review-switch-pc-ps4-xbox-one

loving awesome! Lizardcube/bitcrush/dotemu loving did it!!!! They brought back streets of rage to a blazing glory!!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Looks like it?!

https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1251414260636319745?s=20

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Al-Saqr posted:

This is a much better and more insightful review than the IGN one by far.

I think by virtue of it being a beat em up, some people are going to bounce hard off of it. See IGNs own review for Double Dragon Neon. Anyway it is good to see this getting good marks.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

The Switch-specific review from Nintendo World gave it high praise and there's been no mention of anything negative for the Switch version. By all accounts seems like you don't lose anything with the Switch.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/53617/streets-of-rage-4-switch-review

That is great to hear thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

IGN gonna IGN. I'll listen to what the real reviewers say.

exquisite tea posted:

As someone who has never owned an XBox, I had no idea that PC Gamepass was a thing. I'm currently looking at the titles, and this is amazing. And it's only :10bux: a month? And I can play any of these games as long as my subscription is active?