Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cargohills posted:

You tellin’ me that the sequel to the game that ends with you massacring an organisation which seems to be the only hope to stop the apocalypse.... has you play as a bad guy??

Like I said, it has a funny games vibe to why an audience wouldnt like it. We'll see how it delivers narratively. Ok, I wont, but the rest of you might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackTheMoon
Jul 4, 2015

Yep sounds like Naughty Dog lol

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cargohills posted:

I really don't get the seemingly unanimous negative reactions to this. The story leaks seem absolutely fine.

everything i'm hearing sounds very meanspirited and almost openly detestful towards fans of the first game, no poo poo people are gonna feel negative about it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is what you get when your fanbase spends ten years going “hmm does anyone else think it’s a little weird that Nathan Drake is cracking jokes after murdering hundreds of guys :thunk: murdering hundreds of guys...is bad!”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cargohills posted:

You tellin’ me that the sequel to the game that ends with you massacring an organisation which seems to be the only hope to stop the apocalypse.... has you play as a bad guy??

lol here's yet another chump who didn't understand the first game's ending

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The silver lining of the story being leaked and being pretty awful are all the "THEY SJW'd IT!" takes floating around. Those should put a smile on your face.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 27, 2020

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

cargohills posted:

You'd have a point if, TLOU1 spoilers the game did tell you that they've done this to like 5 other people and basically are guessing this will work

You're also kind of ignoring that Naughty Dog is pushing the we're so pro LGBTQ,here's Ellie and her new girlfriend,they both horribly die to make some lame rear end point about revenge that's been done 1000 times over. Like if they bring something new to this narrative we'll see but right now gently caress that.

Jimbot posted:

The silver lining of the story being leaked and being pretty awful are all the "THEY SJW'd IT!" takes floating around. Those should put a smile on your face.

It does it's hilarious and then I think about all the LGBTQ peeps happy for the representation and get all :smith:

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 27, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So was this really done be a disgruntled Dev?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh and I guess Abby is trans. Hella cool, Neil. Wanna know a common ultra right-wing conservative talking point about transgender folk? That they're mentally ill. Can't say they can't be villains but, uh, might want to not make the only transgender woman in the game the villain who is has murder lust for the last game's protagonists. Just saying. The optics are really poo poo here.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Just to be clear everyone getting worked up over the spoilers played the first game right? The game where the opening protag is a little girl who gets killed minutes later, the post apocalyptic mp game that will sell you "execution dlc". I have sympathy for the LGBTQ portrayal but still wanna hold out for the whole picture a lot of people are playing telephone. IMO this just seems par the course for edgy pretentious poo poo they're gonna have to up the edge somehow most of these beats were pretty evident since they started showing the game

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So was this really done be a disgruntled Dev?

There's still a chance this is fake or it's been change but I am getting major GoT S8 leak vibes from this where everyone is going gently caress off no way and there's a fake version or 2 floating around.

We do know Naughty Dog has been going through killer crunch and people are not happy at all.

Terminal autist posted:

Just to be clear everyone getting worked up over the spoilers played the first game right? The game where the opening protag is a little girl who gets killed minutes later, the post apocalyptic mp game that will sell you "execution dlc". I have sympathy for the LGBTQ portrayal but still wanna hold out for the whole picture a lot of people are playing telephone. IMO this just seems par the course for edgy pretentious poo poo they're gonna have to up the edge somehow most of these beats were pretty evident since they started showing the game

[spoiler] One or both of Ellie or Dinah dying changes the tone completely, TLOU is violent as all hell but there are outside factors bury your gays, the fact that Naughty Dig has been hyping their LGBTQ rep and then kills them both that makes it gross,[spoiler]

Remember what made GoT S8 suck SUPER hard is all the uncomfortable implications and the sheer lack of fucks given towards the source material which is also showing up here

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 27, 2020

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Oh and I guess Abby is trans. Hella cool, Neil. Wanna know a common ultra right-wing conservative talking point about transgender folk? That they're mentally ill. Can't say they can't be villains but, uh, might want to not make the only transgender woman in the game the villain who is has murder lust for the last game's protagonists. Just saying. The optics are really poo poo here.

Wait is she really lmao

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

She doesn't "have murder lust", it's a revenge story.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think that's why the THOSE SJWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS REEEEEEEEEE crowd are out in force. On top of Ellie being a gay/queer woman.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jimbot posted:

big lmao if true

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

fadam posted:

Wait is she really lmao

no

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Wow a Naughty Dog game with terrible writing.

Okay sorry, that's my driveby out of the way, I feel like this kind of hackiness is kind of standard for them and it's mostly blowing up because

1. the Funny Games thing. Saying gently caress you to the player is like, something writers that think they're better than they are love to do, and audiences rightly despise it. Doing this and getting something of any quality requires much more skill than ND has and generally needs to have a interesting and compelling purpose to it on top of that skill. This doesn't. And like yeah I didn't like the writing in the Uncharted games and TLOU1 either but they at least were standard enough that the risks were low. If you gently caress up the 'hurt the audience' gambit no one likes the result. Hell even if you do a good job, most people still hate it, it's kind of poison.

2. people are real loving sick of killing off lesbians. Like even among people that don't worry about the political/social justice stuff, it's kinda cliche unless you're actively a bigot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Terminal autist posted:

There's a difference between "bleak" and plain old mean-spirited, which is why Eli Roth is a lovely director and many people are not gonna respond well to this story.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Wow a Naughty Dog game with terrible writing.

Okay sorry, that's my driveby out of the way, I feel like this kind of hackiness is kind of standard for them and it's mostly blowing up because

1. the Funny Games thing. Saying gently caress you to the player is like, something writers that think they're better than they are love to do, and audiences rightly despise it. Doing this and getting something of any quality requires much more skill than ND has and generally needs to have a interesting and compelling purpose to it on top of that skill. This doesn't. And like yeah I didn't like the writing in the Uncharted games and TLOU1 either but they at least were standard enough that the risks were low. If you gently caress up the 'hurt the audience' gambit no one likes the result. Hell even if you do a good job, most people still hate it, it's kind of poison.

2. people are real loving sick of killing off lesbians. Like even among people that don't worry about the political/social justice stuff, it's kinda cliche unless you're actively a bigot.

Like if you want to tell an audience to go gently caress itself you have to nail that and but in the work so the audience goes ohhhhhhh man ,anything short of that will get the pitforks out.

exquisite tea posted:

There's a difference between "bleak" and plain old mean-spirited, which is why Eli Roth is a lovely director and many people are not gonna respond well to this story.

Like where's the hope here? The light at the end of the tunnel?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I preferred Naughty Dog when they were making Crash Bandicoot.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

I preferred Naughty Dog when they were making Crash Bandicoot.

Hell, they were pretty good making Jak games even when it got angsty for that one game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

i do not remotely care that ellie or joel died because everyone in that setting is basically a walking corpse anyway (lol aren't we all), but "evil christian cult crusading for heteronormativity" is bush-league bullshit for an apocalypse story

Yeah, except for that those spoilers sound pretty good to me? I like that the ending is NOBODY WINS

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m not enthused by these story spoilers but I’ll still probably pick up the game when it goes on sale for $29.99 a few months after release.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Naught Dog might be the only devs brave enough to tackle issues of pedophilia and female circumcision in a triple a video game

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Honestly I’d be fine with this but they make you play as the person who killed Joel. I get the whole “roosters coming back to roost” thing for the story but that part though, I don’t know.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This sounds like such a staggeringly pointless game. Neil Druckman's creative direction for the first game really soured me on Naughty Dog and Uncharted 4 only reinforced that so here they are, doubling down on mean spirited horseshit once again.

Ellie's tattoo is cool as gently caress though. Props to whatever concept designer came up with that.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SirKibbles posted:

Like where's the hope here? The light at the end of the tunnel?

Maybe....... that’s the point....

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't know whether this is really good or bad- the stuff in between is more important than the plot summary, especially in this context.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

What was wrong with uncharted 4? I thought that and The Lost Legecy were great

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You should play as an elk getting revenge on Ellie instead

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

You should play as an elk getting revenge on Ellie instead

finally a tokyo jungle sequel

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m one of the seemingly few that thought Last of Us was well made but nothing special. I’m not particularly happy or sad about the leaks, ambivalent really, and they all seem in line with the tone of this series.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Panzeh posted:

I don't know whether this is really good or bad- the stuff in between is more important than the plot summary, especially in this context.

I agree that the execution could definitely frame some of these plot beats better, but I'm already coming from the standpoint of "did TLOU2 even need to be made" and it's hard to see myself pushing through this narrative, even if there are some sick-nasty slo-mo kill shots.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tlou: the painful
tlou2: the joyful

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The last of us 2 was a bad idea from the jump lmao

Idk what anyone was expecting.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

cargohills posted:

Maybe....... that’s the point....

If that's the point it's just lazy the first game was not this dark . poo poo sucks and then you die takes a killer writing team to pull off and right now it's looking like a whole bunch of cliches that everyone's seen before the game is going to have to nail the writing inbetween these bullet points to not be edgy bullshit

Even if you're doing poo poo sucks and then you die you should be trying to add something new to it. I love me some dark tones and themes I've definitely seen bleaker settings that nailed this so it's possible

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The last of us 2 was a bad idea from the jump lmao

Idk what anyone was expecting.

:hmmyes:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do the leaks talk about how many ladders we have to move around in TLOU2?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the last of us 2 is to storytelling what olive garden is to fine dining

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SirKibbles posted:

If that's the point it's just lazy the first game was not this dark.

the first game was absolutely this dark, it's just that nearly everyone playing it was apparently too thick to understand the point it was making so now we get it again without any of the craft or subtlety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

the first game was absolutely this dark, it's just that nearly everyone playing it was apparently too thick to understand the point it was making so now we get it again without any of the craft or subtlety

I'm the much less dark cannibal cult doing anything to survive that definitely wasn't supposed to draw yet another comparison to Joel and his dead partner, the lovely People