Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I'm gonna bet that was written by Doug himself using a sockpuppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I dunno, the guy still get views, so someone out there must enjoy his output?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It made Linkara post a thread about it! https://twitter.com/Linkara19/status/1254749794658107393

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

I can't get enough of Channel Awesome behind-the-scenes drama.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

That one is particularly funny because Linkara is probably the one that was the nicest about it during the whole ordeal!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kunster posted:

That one is particularly funny because Linkara is probably the one that was the nicest about it during the whole ordeal!

Yeah, I'm surprised Lewis will still point out the stuff he liked. He could be forgiven for going at them hammer and tongs.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think humans and elves are the bad guys actually. I'm going to rip out one of my eyes.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fsmhunk posted:

I think humans and elves are the bad guys actually.

They're the lamest choices in any given fantasy setting and as such, this is correct.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fsmhunk posted:

I think humans and elves are the bad guys actually. I'm going to rip out one of my eyes.

i have always found elves and mages/magic boring. i am just weird i guess.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I tend to find elves boring because they’re usually portrayed as stuck-up arrogant treehugging jerks. That’s why it was fun in Dragon Age seeing a totally different dynamic caused by the humans finally getting tired of their poo poo and going to war with them.

As for magic, for me it depends on how the workings of it are explained. A magic system that’s just “the wizard pulls a new spell out of his rear end to do whatever the plot requires” is boring, but one whose abilities and limitations are explained beforehand, and where people have to think strategically to put it to use, is fantastic.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Jim Sterling tells the marketing geniuses sending him sponsorship offers to gently caress off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaisAWgY4WQ

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
EDIT: Oops, double post.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A lot of elves are wealthy, holier than thou racists. And a lot of dwarves are working class. I know who I'm siding with.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There are cool elves and magic out there. But it takes creativity while just copy-pasting old stereotypes takes none at all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1254830386334613504

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mr.Radar posted:

Jim Sterling tells the marketing geniuses sending him sponsorship offers to gently caress off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaisAWgY4WQ

I understand why he's frustrated but most of what Jim is complaining about in this video isn't unique to youtube sponsorship offers; he's mostly complaining about the nature of modern sales tactics. I source software for my current company and get emails that are almost identical in terms of language and the constant repeated followups. Almost all of them are trained the exact same way: to operate under the assumption there's no such thing as a "no", no is just the first step on the road to yes. They intentionally harass you hoping it'll cause you to get frustrated enough to give them the time of day, which is an in towards getting you to bite on their product. Giving them any kind of attention, even negative attention, just encourages them that you're a potential buyer. The only tactic I've found that works is to block their emails as soon as they reach out and have a policy of not accepting cold calls and only making purchasing decisions via proactive research. Granted at some point I do have to engage with the company at some point in the process for demos, etc, at which point whoops another dipshit salesperson gets dropped on me who refuses to listen to anything I say and pushes the same tired upselling and time pressure tactics every other salesperson ever does!

It was good of Jim to protect the identities of the folks reaching out to him and to specifically call out that he doesn't hate them personally, just the companies, but... man it is really hard to have a job where you have to deal with these folks in any kind of capacity and not come out the other side loving loathing salespeople. It doesn't help that it's easy to catch yourself stereotyping because they all use the Same. loving. Wording.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I can personally attest to the fact that the CA subreddit is batshit insane.

A while back when Brad Jones severed his friendship with Alison, I made a post about it on the GamerGhazi subreddit to let people know Brad is a scumbag and they should unsubscribe. Well some CA subreddit people found that post and I had some of the dumbest examples of humanity in my DMs telling me "only a re****ed sjw would believe THE LIES AND SLANDER by that witch Allison!!!1!"

Seriously some of the most pathetic and saddest, unhinged people dying on the hill to defend the honor of Bradikan and the guy who did the "The Wall" review. Is there any cause sadder to die defending?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

I can personally attest to the fact that the CA subreddit is batshit insane.

A while back when Brad Jones severed his friendship with Alison, I made a post about it on the GamerGhazi subreddit to let people know Brad is a scumbag and they should unsubscribe. Well some CA subreddit people found that post and I had some of the dumbest examples of humanity in my DMs telling me "only a re****ed sjw would believe THE LIES AND SLANDER by that witch Allison!!!1!"

Seriously some of the most pathetic and saddest, unhinged people dying on the hill to defend the honor of Bradikan and the guy who did the "The Wall" review. Is there any cause sadder to die defending?

Oh absolutely, just wait for Hbomberguy to finally make his In Defense of the Star Wars Prequels video. :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

DoctorWhat posted:

Dan's been tweeting some inflammatory stuff lately and dismissed a queer black friend of mine as a "BernieBro".
Yeah, Dan sucks.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also 40k orks are loving awsome. they are basically soccer hooligans that are made of fungi and probably the best orcs.
:yeah:

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

40K making "they paint stuff red because they believe it makes it go faster, which it does, because of The Secret/Literal Chaos Magic works for their society" was :discourse:

Another fun fact: Ork Kommandoz paint themselves purple, as they believe purple is the 'sneakiest' color.

"But wait," you say. "I've never seen a purple Ork in any of the 40K stuff I've seen."

:orks: "Courz' you 'avent. Datz cuz of 'ow sneaky dey iz."

Srice posted:

A lot of elves are wealthy, holier than thou racists. And a lot of dwarves are working class. I know who I'm siding with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Remember the time Gary Gygax quoted a guy talking about massacring native americans in relation to why a LG paladin would be justified in killing baby orcs?

https://twitter.com/FreyjaErlings/status/1180544774723571712

It is pretty weird how there's just hordes of dipshits trying to go, "Ah, you are the real racist for equating orcs with black people and indigenous peoples!", but Gygax already did that poo poo way before them and thought it was cool if you dashed orc infants on the rocks after you killed their parents for some pocket change.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If I get 7.5k bucks on patreon I'll watch to boldly flee and defend it, snuffing my youtube career in the crib before it even takes off.

Also the only good elf is

There are no good elves.

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 27, 2020

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Leal posted:

If I get 7.5k bucks on patreon I'll watch to boldly flee and defend it, snuffing my youtube career in the crib before it even takes off.

There are no good elves.

gently caress you, Dunmer for life

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Will Ferrell is an extraordinarily bad elf even by elf standards

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Depending on your denomination, Santa Claus is the only good elf.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Honestly, I'm kind of surprised the drow haven't come up in this discussion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Srice posted:

yeah dwarves get boring too but they are more likable.

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, Dan sucks.

:yeah:

Another fun fact: Ork Kommandoz paint themselves purple, as they believe purple is the 'sneakiest' color.

"But wait," you say. "I've never seen a purple Ork in any of the 40K stuff I've seen."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0

yeah orks loving rule. like some of the book portrayals especially earlier are kinda bad but they have improved a loving ton with 40k. also i like that the imperium is just this but nazi catholics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0TEvK-mjlg

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

LINKARA SAID "gently caress"!? :popeye:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Leal posted:

There are no good elves.

Have you considered... A dead Elf?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Zedd posted:

Have you considered... A dead Elf?

A dead elf implies that at one point it was an alive elf and we can't be having any of that now, can we?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

There are no good elves.

All Links are good elves :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Max Wilco posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised the drow haven't come up in this discussion.

All you need is that bit from Community of Chang in drow makeup and Shirley asking if nobody was going to talk about this hate crime here.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsieurChoc posted:

There are cool elves and magic out there. But it takes creativity while just copy-pasting old stereotypes takes none at all.

Dungeon Meshi has very good elves. some are the haughty, holier-than-thou type, and then there's Marcille

everyone should read Dungeon Meshi, it's one of the best things I've ever read, but ESPECIALLY D&D nerds should read it. it's all about delving into an intricately fleshed out world and dungeon and the detailed methods of cooking and eating dungeon monsters to survive. bet you didn't think you could eat Living Armor, but the author finds a really, really good way.

Max Wilco posted:

I love everything about 40k orks. it's honestly one of the most fascinating ideas for a fictional race I've seen and the way they've expanded on aspects initially designed for them as well as downplaying or excising entirely the less savory aspects of the fluff is great. I also like that when some orks hit adolescence they go into a rebellious phase where they desire discipline and strategy, and form strict, ranked groups called Kommandos and Stormboyz, where they follow regular military drills, train on tight schedules, and use complex strategies during battle. Eventually they grow up and return to being idiot meatheads like every other ork.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Elven adventurers are just elf failsons and faildaughters.,

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I love everything about 40k orks. it's honestly one of the most fascinating ideas for a fictional race I've seen and the way they've expanded on aspects initially designed for them as well as downplaying or excising entirely the less savory aspects of the fluff is great. I also like that when some orks hit adolescence they go into a rebellious phase where they desire discipline and strategy, and form strict, ranked groups called Kommandos and Stormboyz, where they follow regular military drills, train on tight schedules, and use complex strategies during battle. Eventually they grow up and return to being idiot meatheads like every other ork.

one of my favorite ork facts is young orks is alot of young orks get bored of the whole "loose" life style so they become higly structured military rockateers and pilots and poo poo.

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Stormboy

https://www.dakkasquadron.com/

also a game

and a fun twitter

https://twitter.com/dakkasquadron/status/1237763345949786113

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 27, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Leal posted:

There are no good elves.

Said the n'wah

Speaking of Elder Scrolls and orcs, I'm normally the last person on earth to praise Bethesda, but the way ES just treats Orcs like people, just like any other race, is refreshing. Every fantasy game/book/movie/whatever should just do that. Just make them people.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
please don't say the n'wah

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Said the n'wah

Speaking of Elder Scrolls and orcs, I'm normally the last person on earth to praise Bethesda, but the way ES just treats Orcs like people, just like any other race, is refreshing. Every fantasy game/book/movie/whatever should just do that. Just make them people.

yeah. i have never been a deep elder scrolls lore person but i do like that the orcs were just a different culture and can get along with anyone but some want to go back to roots super hard and people are also bigoted against them.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DoctorWhat posted:

please don't say the n'wah

:five:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Dungeon Meshi has very good elves. some are the haughty, holier-than-thou type, and then there's Marcille

wait did they do a cartoon and i was not informed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Elf" or "dwarf" or "orc" as sui generis is loving bullshit.