Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bessantj posted:

While we're at it is there a crossover that is considered "the best"? Obviously the Clone Saga is out it's too good but otherwise anything from DC or Marvel?

JLA/Avengers.

That's the kind you meant, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yvonmukluk posted:

JLA/Avengers.

That's the kind you meant, right?

Was that good? I've never read it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Was that good? I've never read it.

It's easily the best inter-company crossover every printed.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's easily the best inter-company crossover every printed.

Is that a high bar? How many "inter-company crossovers" have there even been? I wonder if it happens much in the manga world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

Is that a high bar? How many "inter-company crossovers" have there even been? I wonder if it happens much in the manga world.

There's been dozens. Many just from Marvel and DC, some are quite good even. But JLA/Avengers does set the bar very high.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

It's not a high bar, but JLA/Avengers is the intercompany crossover that I would call great.

There's a few more that are arguably fun. A few that have some interesting moments or nice art. JLA/Avengers is actually good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
JLA/Avengers is done by Busiek who has such a great knowledge and love for both properties that it clearly shows on the page. It really is a great story that has something for fans of both books.
Speaking of crossovers I remember the Batman/Spiderman crossover being....not great (Carnage and Joker being the villains should tell you what you need to know). Also Punisher/Azbats kind of sucked too. Never read the sequel for it so no idea how that stacks up.
How are the Batman vs Aliens/predator crossovers? Are they worth hunting down?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Do we have a thread that is about panels or images that make you go "why would you do this, what were they thinking?"

I mean, without Greg Land, everything he draws is horrible.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Siegkrow posted:

Do we have a thread that is about panels or images that make you go "why would you do this, what were they thinking?"

I mean, without Greg Land, everything he draws is horrible.

“Draws”

there’s the bad/good art thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Speaking of crossovers I remember the Batman/Spiderman crossover being....not great (Carnage and Joker being the villains should tell you what you need to know). Also Punisher/Azbats kind of sucked too. Never read the sequel for it so no idea how that stacks up.

You have to clarify, there's two of each of those. One from each company.

One of each is bad, and the other is really bad. But you have to figure out which is which.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Madkal posted:

JLA/Avengers is done by Busiek who has such a great knowledge and love for both properties that it clearly shows on the page. It really is a great story that has something for fans of both books.

There was also a Spider-Man/Batman with Ras Al Ghul and Kingpin. It was nothing to write home about.

The Azbats/Punisher crossover wasn’t terrible. It was still Denny O’Neil and Barry Kitson.

Batman/Daredevil was much more forgettable than a crossover between those two should have been. Scott McDaniel was a good choice for the art, but Two Face and Mr Hyde being the villains was too clever when they should have went with crowd pleasers.

JLA/Avengers should be essential reading for a fan of either team. It’s not just a good crossover, it’s an excellent comic in its own right, masterfully done by two of the best in the business. This was also sort of the last hoorah for the more traditional Avengers. Five months after this finished, the Avengers were Disassembled.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Edit:nevermind.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Madkal posted:

I only read one of the Batman vs Predator serieses that came out (I think it was the third one? There was Robin and the Predator had a younger Predator partner) but as a much younger man I thought it was loving awesome, no clue if it holds up

I just remember the Predator couldn't see Victor Freeze outside the suit because of his body temperature and I thought that was rad as hell. Also a Predator got in the batcave and Alfred had to hold it off with a shotgun until the dynamic duo could arrive

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm late to the Walt talk but the guy is a loving machine. My older brother got $5 pencil sketch from him at a con way back when his Thor was still coming out and it was basically ink ready.

At that same con Sergio Aragones signed my Groo #1 for free and actually talked to us about stuff and even though I was hella young I was blown away by how nice a guy he was.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Open Marriage Night posted:

JLA/Avengers should be essential reading for a fan of either team. It’s not just a good crossover, it’s an excellent comic in its own right, masterfully done by two of the best in the business. This was also sort of the last hoorah for the more traditional Avengers. Five months after this finished, the Avengers were Disassembled.

Have there been any Marvel/DC crossover comics since then?

And Spider_amn/Batman was quasi-canonical, because the Joker from that crossover was the Joker in the temporarily-canonical Marvel vs DC/DC vs Marvel series.

(Though by the time that happened, Peter Parker had been swapped out for Ben Reily. and Ben wound up pretending to be Peter during the crossover, if I recall correctly.)

Assuming, of course, that you can take the Joker at his word.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

JLA/Avengers was it, and it’s pretty amazing it even managed to come out. Things have gotten way too corporate for either company to sign off on another one. At least they ended with the best one.

I recommend people check out the Marvel vs DC and Amalgam trading card sets. There are some cool pairings that never appeared in the comics.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I still remember thinking a Batman/Wolverine amalgam fighting a Joker/Sabretooth amalgam was the hottest poo poo to ever happen to comics

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Even as a teen I thought Wolverine and Batman were a really bad fit to amalgam together.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

That era of X-books would probably have a lot more acclaim if there wasn't Greg Land doing the art.
Fixed.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

That issue also has a cool backup about a planet that sees the bullet coming toward it, their society kind of goes apeshit at the impending apocalypse, and then it passes through them and everybody has to deal with "oh, we're all still here".
I loved that story and would love to see it as a 6 issue series. My favorite part was that they saw the bullet coming, but it was like a year away from hitting them. So they knew they were dead, but still had a while to live. Do you still bother farming? No one wants to starve to death, but no one wants to farm either.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

JLA/Avengers was it, and it’s pretty amazing it even managed to come out. Things have gotten way too corporate for either company to sign off on another one. At least they ended with the best one.

I recommend people check out the Marvel vs DC and Amalgam trading card sets. There are some cool pairings that never appeared in the comics.

It's less "things got too corporate " and more "Joe Quesada took some wildly unnecessary shots at DC and they took it poorly".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's less "things got too corporate " and more "Joe Quesada took some wildly unnecessary shots at DC and they took it poorly".

He really loved calling them "AOL Comics" because of their corporate ownership.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Time makes fools of us all...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

Even as a teen I thought Wolverine and Batman were a really bad fit to amalgam together.

But in the hypothetical sequel you could amalgam Cass Cain and Laura Kinney! It'd be perfect!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yvonmukluk posted:

But in the hypothetical sequel you could amalgam Cass Cain and Laura Kinney! It'd be perfect!

Cass and Gabby.

HoneyBatger.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yvonmukluk posted:

Lone Wolf even works as a name.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Madkal posted:

I would say that the Batman/Aliens crossover is Fun

The first Batman/Predator is a blast

Neither of them are "Great", but the idea of Alfred taking an Elephant gun and going toe to to with Predator is badass. Batman having to wrestle, literally, with an Alien/Crocodile hybrid is pretty cool.

Batman/Predator 2, 3 and JLA/Predator are diminishing returns

bessantj posted:

A lot. DC has done more of them than Marvel recently, but off the top of my head

Justice League /Power Rangers
Green Lantern /Star Trek (Abramsverse)
DC Heroes /Looney Tunes
Batman /Punisher
Batman /Spider-man (twice)
Batman /Daredevil
Justice League /Masters of the Universe
Batman /Spawn
Spider-man /Superman (twice)
Superman /Hulk (twice)
Batman /TMNT (three times, plus an animated adaptation, and probably at least once more)
Xmen /Teen Titans
Xmen /Star Trek (Twice, TOS and TNG, and at least one paperback novel that I think was original)
JLA/Avengers
Batman /Hulk
Superman/Fantastic Four

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone forgetting the best crossover of all - Archie / Punisher.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I would say that the Batman/Aliens crossover is Fun

The first Batman/Predator is a blast

Neither of them are "Great", but the idea of Alfred taking an Elephant gun and going toe to to with Predator is badass. Batman having to wrestle, literally, with an Alien/Crocodile hybrid is pretty cool.

Batman/Predator 2, 3 and JLA/Predator are diminishing returns

A lot. DC has done more of them than Marvel recently, but off the top of my head

Justice League /Power Rangers
Green Lantern /Star Trek (Abramsverse)
DC Heroes /Looney Tunes
Batman /Punisher
Batman /Spider-man (twice)
Batman /Daredevil
Justice League /Masters of the Universe
Batman /Spawn
Spider-man /Superman (twice)
Superman /Hulk (twice)
Batman /TMNT (three times, plus an animated adaptation, and probably at least once more)
Xmen /Teen Titans
Xmen /Star Trek (Twice, TOS and TNG, and at least one paperback novel that I think was original)
JLA/Avengers
Batman /Hulk
Superman/Fantastic Four

There have also been:
Batman/Hellboy/Starman (Robinson/Mignola; awesome in every way)
Superman/Madman (fun, Silver Agey stuff by Allred)
Batman/Grendel (twice, both by Matt Wagner, and the first one is a favorite)
Batman/The Spirit (Loeb/Cooke; lots of fun, and it preceded Cooke's Spirit series)
Batman/Doc Savage (pretty Phil Noto art)
Batman/The Shadow
WildC.A.T.s/Aliens (Warren Ellis wrote it and killed off most of the original Stormwatch team)
Transformers/New Avengers (back during the Bendis era)
Legion of Super Heroes/Star Trek

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had this plan to own collected editions of every inter company crossover but I started after the Amalgam trades exploded in price so that dream died fairly quickly.

There's also a LOSH/Trek one that was pretty keen. Also IDW churns them out constantly, there's a Transformers/Terminator series currently out. Oh! And there was a Superman/Terminator series!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Sorry I’m advance for the super vague question, but so it goes. I recall as a child reading some Star Trek comic about Starfleet encountering some Zerg-like insect species that they naturally wind up fighting, I think there was some kind of xenomorph/Cronenberg hybridization going on by crewmen that got kidnapped by the monsters? It was Kirk and company, but I think they were in their movie-era costumes. Any of this ringing any bells, or is it some weird novel construct of my aging brain?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
DC published a bunch of Star Trek comics featuring the original crew in movie-era outfits in the 1980s. I haven't read any of them and none of the covers jump out as telling that sort of story but you can browse them all on comics.org

The 1984-1989 run
The 1989-1995 run

Marvel did some Trek comics on either side of this, but I think they were all in the 1960s TV continuity and took their cues from more serious literature than Ridley Scott or Cronenberg

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Marvel’s 1980s Star Trek series was under the bizarre restriction that the only had the license for the first movie, and so couldn’t reference anything or follow up on any stories from the tv series.

As a result, they ended up going in some... odd directions.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hmmm, I’ll dig through there and see what I can find, thanks! Obviously I don’t remember much, but the biggest thing that stood out were the ship designs, it was one of those artists who wanted to get real big, real weird, and outside of the Enterprise felt no compunction about sticking to established Trek design aesthetics, which wound up being real cool.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was thinking Blacktalon (Blackbat + Talon, the codename Yost & Kyle apparently intended for Laura before DC trademarked it). It aligns with Dark Claw.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Batman/Grendel (twice, both by Matt Wagner, and the first one is a favorite)

Wagner also did a Grendel vs. the Shadow comic that was excellent as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Selachian posted:

Wagner also did a Grendel vs. the Shadow comic that was excellent as well.

I think I read that a while back and enjoyed it, but don't remember much about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Only if the Robin-Jubilee merging becomes "Cub".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Armageddon 2001.

It was my first crossover and still the best.

Just because there's a pandemic it doesn't mean I won't ban you.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It’d be Damian/Gabby as Darkclaw’s daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
does that leave kitty pryde / nightwing? shadow wing? Night Cat?

...Dick Pryde?