Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If car companies actually made some of the cool concepts they made I'd buy a new car. The last cool (to me) thing that Toyota designed and I immediately wanted was the S-FR but it never happened and they just carried on selling ugly poo poo instead.

poo poo, of cars they actually make I'd buy a Honda S660 but they're not even sold here and importing one from Japan puts them in silly money territory.

The above are some of the reasons I buy old small cars instead...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
A Honda e is super compelling to me as well but welp

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Yeah only some of us hate new cars. Most people here are of the dad-variety that have will daily a reliable and typical boring car because of their family or backs.

Yeah that's me. Thought I wanted a new car until I drove some of them. I figured for the same price I could have a good DD and a convertible, got the first working on the second and I think I'll be happier with one of each (DD/fun car) rather than trying to have one car that's a fun daily driver because there isn't many of those I could afford anyway :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The cayman and boxster both have turbo 4s now and while they aren't as sweet as the 6es they replaced I don't think you can claim that a 3000lb mid engined car isn't special just because of that.
The six is back, baby!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KakerMix posted:

Yeah only some of us hate new cars.

Dont get me wrong tho, I have a true loathing for most new cars.

Especially "Yet another ugly as gently caress 7 gazillion hp supercar that does 0-Billion kph in 2 seconds and does the 'Ring in 5 seconds" or pretty much anything that looks like an SUV or huge wall of metal "truck"

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Olympic Mathlete posted:

poo poo, of cars they actually make I'd buy a Honda S660 but they're not even sold here and importing one from Japan puts them in silly money territory.

Would you pay $20k for one new? For a few grand more you can get an ND Miata which is faster, much more practical (the cargo capacity of the S660 is laughable), and handles 90% as well. I really want an S660 too but it makes perfect sense why they don't export them.

The SFR, if it actually sold for $15k as was speculated, would have been a serious contender though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

:getin:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hikaki posted:

Would you pay $20k for one new? For a few grand more you can get an ND Miata which is faster, much more practical (the cargo capacity of the S660 is laughable), and handles 90% as well. I really want an S660 too but it makes perfect sense why they don't export them.

If I want to buy a 2-seater convertible kei car you can assume I don't care about speed or cargo capacity... :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

While cars today are faster, safer, and more efficient than ever, enthusiasts are rightfully concerned about technology, market and regulatory forces stripping away the character of cars. There's nothing special about a Mercedes-Benz or a Porsche when it's powered by a 2.0T that runs out of breath at redline, and sounds like a diesel at idle. Manual transmissions are becoming luxury features, like mechanical watches. An enthusiast with $75-100K to spend is at a buffet, but lower down the totem pole, options are starting to get scarce. For example, the Dodge Charger will soon be the last 4-door car with a V8 left under $75K, where the V8 Genesis G90 and C63 AMG start.

The AMG 4 banger that makes over 400HP is pretty cool (under warranty).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I bought a 6M Mustang GT, ordered when order books opened and it was the first day's production for MY2016. I don't regret buying the truck that replaced it, but with I could have kept both.

But I loved the V8 growl, and the only car I bothered to cross shop at the time was an FR-S, which impressed me absolutely zero.

Truck lease is almost up, baby is a week out, and honestly I have no idea what's going to replace the truck. Nothing is impressing me in the price ranges I'm allocating. Was pretty dead set on a Y, but I'm rethinking that lately...

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 27, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

ilkhan posted:

I bought a 6M Mustang GT, ordered when it books opened and it was the first day's production for MY2016. I don't regret buying the truck that replaced it, but with I could have kept both.

But I loved the V8 growl, and the only car I bothered to cross shop at the time was an FR-S, which impressed me absolutely zero.

Truck lease is almost up, baby is a week out, and honestly I have no idea what's going to replace the truck. Nothing is impressing me in the price ranges I'm allocating. Was pretty dead set on a Y, but I'm rethinking that lately...

Macan with sport chrono (or a Cobb tune).

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Kraftwerk posted:

No offense to you or the rest of AI but over the years I’ve gotten the impression that AI hates all new cars.

I've owned 15 vehicles since 1997 and had a serious case of automotive ADD for almost a decade. At the moment I have the opposite ends of the AI meme spectrum: a 95 miata and a 2014 F150.

I tend to not discuss the truck on AI because frankly most of AI loathes trucks, likely due to a lot of them coming from countries where they're seen as gauche, I dunno. Were I shopping for a new vehicle right now it would be an F250 with the 7.3L gas V8 in the color 'blue jeans'. I'd prefer the gas over diesel due to the sheer amount of stuff under the hood of a ford diesel and not being able to work on anything. However, since the oil industry is in serious trouble and our aerospace parts haven't really taken off yet, I'm just keeping the vehicles as they are.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

KakerMix posted:

A Honda e is super compelling to me as well but welp

Me, too. I'd replace my wife's focus with it and keep a wagon for longer trips.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Yo, I'm watching savagegeese review the 2020 Silverado and this poo poo could go in the Terrible Car Stuff thread. One of the big draws for me to the Silverado/Sierra is the absolutely colossal engine bay, making everything easy to access, maintenance without struggle, no fiddly angle problems because the engine bay is cavernous coimbined with the smaller size of the cam-in-block engine. Apparently they decided to make the 2020 Silverado shittier, because check out its miniscule by comparison engine bay here at 7:24:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j-FumXsSpQ

That cross member looks like it's 18" back from the front of the grill. The side support members on the sides angle in, shrinking the engine bay more towards the front. Everything is way more packed in there and inaccessible. I can't believe how much worse that looks. The rear of the engine is tucked under the windshield cowling! This is so much worse than the previous several generations! But the interior is so large is not a tradeoff. This is poo poo.

edit: This assessment of the Silverado is based solely on my history of attempting to handle all maintenance myself. Ignoring all other aspects of any vehicle, one of the most important factors in considering a vehicle for me is ease of maintenance. I can deal with low power, high fuel consumption, compromises in comfort, missing features and more. I cannot deal with manufacturers making things harder for me to work on.

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 27, 2020

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If car companies actually made some of the cool concepts they made I'd buy a new car. The last cool (to me) thing that Toyota designed and I immediately wanted was the S-FR but it never happened and they just carried on selling ugly poo poo instead.

I would have bought the hell out of an S-FR, at full sticker price happily. I don't think there's any market demand in the US for small cheap simple cars with small engines though. I already put my money where my mouth is and am currently driving a 2017 1.0L 5-speed hatchback Fiesta.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

stevobob posted:

Yo, I'm watching savagegeese review the 2020 Silverado and this poo poo could go in the Terrible Car Stuff thread. One of the big draws for me to the Silverado/Sierra is the absolutely colossal engine bay, making everything easy to access, maintenance without struggle, no fiddly angle problems because the engine bay is cavernous coimbined with the smaller size of the cam-in-block engine. Apparently they decided to make the 2020 Silverado shittier, because check out its miniscule by comparison engine bay here at 7:24:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j-FumXsSpQ

That cross member looks like it's 18" back from the front of the grill. The side support members on the sides angle in, shrinking the engine bay more towards the front. Everything is way more packed in there and inaccessible. I can't believe how much worse that looks. The rear of the engine is tucked under the windshield cowling! This is so much worse than the previous several generations! But the interior is so large is not a tradeoff. This is poo poo.

edit: This assessment of the Silverado is based solely on my history of attempting to handle all maintenance myself. Ignoring all other aspects of any vehicle, one of the most important factors in considering a vehicle for me is ease of maintenance. I can deal with low power, high fuel consumption, compromises in comfort, missing features and more. I cannot deal with manufacturers making things harder for me to work on.

Heh, is step one of changing plugs or anything else "Remove cab"?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

"Back half of the engine under the windshield cowling" is GM getting back to its roots. Super classic.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
plugs probably dont need to be replaced till 75-100k miles. most of this regular maintenance stuff has entirely gone away unless its non-scheduled maintenance.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'd be more worried about the cylinder deactivation issues that make those engines garbage

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Honda does weird stuff under their cowls too, in all fairness. One of the steps to getting to the coolant plug in my Civic Hybrid was removing the windshield cowling. Not just the plastic piece, but unbolting the metal cowl. It was only like 4 or 6 bolts, but still.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ease of assembly over ease of maintenance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

plugs probably dont need to be replaced till 75-100k miles. most of this regular maintenance stuff has entirely gone away unless its non-scheduled maintenance.

The entirety of scheduled maintenance before 100k on modern cars is oil changes and engine and cabin air filters now, I don't see why people that buy cars new worry about this stuff at all. I've even seen manuals recommending 150k miles before first spark plug replacement. All the coolant says 100k miles / 6 years before first change too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Midjack posted:

Ease of assembly over ease of maintenance.

It's not ease of assembly, it's packaging for the most part.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's not ease of assembly, it's packaging for the most part.

A bit of both? Since the drivetrain is almost certainly fully installed in the frame before the body gets dropped on top, putting the engine under the cowl doesn't negatively impact the assembly process at all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sure, it doesn't negatively impact the assembly process, but most access-inhibitive decisions like that are made for packaging and engineering purposes, not assembly ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Really, what we should be saying is that modern assembly processes enable packaging like that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Twerk from Home posted:

The entirety of scheduled maintenance before 100k on modern cars is oil changes and engine and cabin air filters now, I don't see why people that buy cars new worry about this stuff at all. I've even seen manuals recommending 150k miles before first spark plug replacement. All the coolant says 100k miles / 6 years before first change too.

Yeah...

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Doesn't stop dealers from pushing "10k/25k/50k/etc Service" and ripping people the hell off with poo poo that they probably don't even do. Wish people would just look in their drat owner's manuals.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Really, what we should be saying is that modern assembly processes enable packaging like that.

this is true!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The whole owners manual stating spark plugs are due at 160k km for the first time is a lie on boosted engines. Even if they're iridium, they are absolutely wearing down before even 100k km. This might be more of a "LOL domestics hurrrr", but the new ecoBoost Fords eat plugs at fast rate and idle gets noticeably worse past 60k km. Past 100k km, CEL's for misfires are a guarantee.

Not to mention that all manufacturers have different use case levels. It's almost impossible to end up in the normal use intervals. Depending on the climate, you're by default in the severe and then the maintenance intervals start making a little more sense again.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I know it's not boosted, or even modern anymore, but the stated plug interval on my E46 is 100k miles. Thinking that surely that is insane and that no possible way plugs could last 100k miles, I did them at ~85k miles.

They still looked practically new, aside from the minor grit from just being used at all. I put the new ones in because, well, duh, but there was no noticeable improvement. Those plugs would have lasted 100k miles no problem, and likely many more. Now I figure I probably won't ever have to do plugs again on this car unless something specifically fouls them up :v:

Modern cars should be as good or better than a 15 year old BMW.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

stevobob posted:

Yo, I'm watching savagegeese review the 2020 Silverado and this poo poo could go in the Terrible Car Stuff thread.

It's so refreshing to watch a car reviewer give an honest, to the point and frankly savage review to a vehicle without using weasel words.

"This thing is loving crap and here is a detailed and reasoned list of reasons why...."

And yet also done so professionally.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The recommended spark plug change interval is like 30k miles on my F80. And it's gonna be at least a couple hour job for your average home mechanic. It took me around 4 hours just farting around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Changing plugs in the E39 is terrible but when I did them last they were pretty clean. I think the recommended is like 50k?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My brother borrowed a very new 2020 Silverado from work for a week, he boosted a stranded guy's truck one evening and for the rest of the week the truck wouldn't start. I guess the computer thingy got hosed when he boosted that guy's truck, because the battery could be boosted and work normally after and he was able to start and leave work with it, but when he tried to start it up the next day at home it always needed to be boosted to get started.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Guinness posted:

I know it's not boosted, or even modern anymore, but the stated plug interval on my E46 is 100k miles. Thinking that surely that is insane and that no possible way plugs could last 100k miles, I did them at ~85k miles.

They still looked practically new, aside from the minor grit from just being used at all. I put the new ones in because, well, duh, but there was no noticeable improvement. Those plugs would have lasted 100k miles no problem, and likely many more. Now I figure I probably won't ever have to do plugs again on this car unless something specifically fouls them up :v:

Modern cars should be as good or better than a 15 year old BMW.

How many cooling systems did it go through in that time? :smug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

cooling system is a wear item

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

While cars today are faster, safer, and more efficient than ever, enthusiasts are rightfully concerned about technology, market and regulatory forces stripping away the character of cars. There's nothing special about a Mercedes-Benz or a Porsche when it's powered by a 2.0T that runs out of breath at redline, and sounds like a diesel at idle. Manual transmissions are becoming luxury features, like mechanical watches. An enthusiast with $75-100K to spend is at a buffet, but lower down the totem pole, options are starting to get scarce. For example, the Dodge Charger will soon be the last 4-door car with a V8 left under $75K, where the V8 Genesis G90 and C63 AMG start.

This week Hagerty reported info about engines for future C8 variants. The Z06 is slated to get a naturally-aspirated, flat-plane crank engine derived from the C8.R's engine. The Grand Sport will pair the base motor with a hybrid system to boost output to around 600 HP/500 lb-ft. The ZR1 will get a twin-turbo version of the Z06 motor, and the king Corvette will get a hybrid system added to that motor.

The point of the engine is to make the car go. Next is safety (which to some extent includes acceleration), reliability and then, depending on the price of oil either efficiency or driving enjoyment/comfort. "Pleasing engine noise' is a small subset of the 'driving enjoyment/comfort' requirement and is appropriately relegated to the realm of premium luxury desires.

edit: In this case 'pleasing engine noise' is way behind things like 0-60 acceleration and highway passing performance otherwise we'd still have 6 liter V8s with 150 net horsepower available on standard product lines.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 28, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

cooling system is a wear item

Chrysler's actual opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

For example, the Dodge Charger will soon be the last 4-door car with a V8 left under $75K

There's an enormous volume of 4-door 6 seat pickup trucks with V8s for under $75K, and that is increasingly what middle class Americans choose to purchase as a main family vehicle.