Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is the mentality of a hoarder.

I've still got 12 bikes left after culling my herd by half

Keeping junk like I do is hoarding. Killing running, driving, inspected and registered cars is wasteful.

Re: used car market: what a time to have to spend money on plumbing instead. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

Keeping junk like I do is hoarding. Killing running, driving, inspected and registered cars is wasteful.

Re: used car market: what a time to have to spend money on plumbing instead. gently caress.

Fuckin tell me about it....

I had to spend 5000+ on getting the plumbing replaced in my condo because the builder's contractor used Kitec pipes. I'd have been able to sail through this corona virus poo poo till the middle of summer on that if necessary but now I don't know. Still working a bit but not nearly as many hours. Glad I have a Toyota cockroach Corolla thats only 11 years old. Hopefully it'll last a few more years, as long as I don't need to replace the clutch, I should be mostly good, its only got 220,000 km on it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Darchangel posted:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/americans-have-texas-sized-carbon-footprints-heres-why

US per capita carbon footprint is loving huge in no small part because the average US car does 25mpg while the average EU car does 45mpg. The next most significant bit of the transport difference is due to the average person driving about 25% less miles in the EU compared to the US.

More cars need to be killed and kept off the road and things should be changed so that they don't need to be replaced.

Huge, badly insulated, less renewable energy powered, energy inefficient homes is the next biggest cause of the carbon footprint difference. Then you have the US' love of beef...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Munin posted:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/americans-have-texas-sized-carbon-footprints-heres-why

US per capita carbon footprint is loving huge in no small part because the average US car does 25mpg while the average EU car does 45mpg. The next most significant bit of the transport difference is due to the average person driving about 25% less miles in the EU compared to the US.

More cars need to be killed and kept off the road and things should be changed so that they don't need to be replaced.

Huge, badly insulated, less renewable energy powered, energy inefficient homes is the next biggest cause of the carbon footprint difference. Then you have the US' love of beef...

is this still for sale

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

dissss posted:

I thought they were dead in North America now. I think they still do the CUV version though.

Noooooooooooooo.... hopefully there'll still be unsold 2019's on the lot if this happens

E:

If it was $2000 less, that would be a steal

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Midjack posted:

is this still for sale

Sorry, forgot the screenshot and I can't find the car on the page anymore. :(

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Munin posted:

Lol, if this happens it's going to be people crushing 30mpg corollas for 25mpg crossovers.

The solution to the US's carbon problem is carbon/gas taxes to force people into more efficient vehicles.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Elviscat posted:

Lol, if this happens it's going to be people crushing 30mpg corollas for 25mpg crossovers.

The solution to the US's carbon problem is carbon/gas taxesaggressive cap and trade legislation to force people into more efficient vehicles.

Even saying the words carbon tax will send a not insignificant portion of the country into fits of incoherent rage. Framing it as cap and trade will "let the free market decide" the cost of pollution and is somewhat palatable in comparison to the carbon tax it effectively is to most (R) voters

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Munin posted:

We also (have to) drive a lot further than most of Europe, which is miserable in the little diesel shitboxes you're (presumably - you could be anywhere) stuck with. Our transit system is utter crap, too. And we don't get paid poo poo, so it really doesn't matter how many new, more efficient cars we should buy, our corporate overlords don't think past "make more money by not paying workers" into "maybe more people would buy our stuff if they could afford to do so. Say, if they got paid more" AND new car prices are completely out of whack, so a lot of us can't *afford* a new car.
So we still need used cars, thank you.
Honestly, I don't think it's so many people driving old inefficient cars as people driving NEW(er) inefficient cars (trucks).

Also, you're in the wrong forum. This is Automotive Insanity.

Elviscat posted:

The solution to the US's carbon problem is carbon/gas taxes to force people into more efficient vehicles.

The Cash 4 Car crushing program includes maximum MPG ratings for the reward, so probably not.
And yeah, until gas prices go back up, people will buy SUVs/CUVs. Especially those that can't have more than one vehicle, and buy the one that fits the edge case requiring "biggest". Because renting a truck or van only when required is annoying, and seen as low income.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Let's stop burning coal first and then work on how our cars operate next if we're really into reducing our collective carbon footprint.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Darchangel posted:

The Cash 4 Car crushing program includes maximum MPG ratings for the reward

I bet this is the first change they’d make if they do this again. Trump’ll frame it as “cutting red tape” or “getting rid of a loophole exploited by so-called more efficient FOREIGN CARS” and tweet about how our GREAT American citizens want to trade their COROLLAS for CORVETTES because he Made Gas Cheap Again. because half of Corvette owners will be killed by COVID-19 in hurricane shelters this summer in a horrific slow-moving tragedy that he himself exacerbated tenfold

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 22, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elviscat posted:

My Volt cost almost twice what I've paid for any other vehicle I've owned. Your taxes are going to further gently caress the poor, many of whom would probably love to be able to afford such a thing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KakerMix posted:

Let's stop burning coal first and then work on how our cars operate next if we're really into reducing our collective carbon footprint.

But wait for it, what about... clean coal?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigPaddy posted:

THEY WASH IT AND IT BURNS CLEAN MY SCIENTIST FRIEND SAID SO

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BigPaddy posted:

CCR = Clean Coal Roller

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Godholio posted:

My Volt cost almost twice what I've paid for any other vehicle I've owned. Your taxes are going to further gently caress the poor, many of whom would probably love to be able to afford such a thing.

Well clearly the poors should just take the wonderful public transit options available in any town or city.

Obviously sarcasm, our public transit is a joke, I've tried to work out commutes using it and it takes like 5x as long and still requires me going a mile or so to the nearest bus stop

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

THEY WASH IT AND IT BURNS CLEAN MY SCIENTIST FRIEND SAID SO

THEY TAKE ALL THE ASH AND COMPRESS IT BACK INTO COAL AND BURN THAT IT'S LITERALLY AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF ENERGY

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i know what i got

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Acura-Integra-TYPE-R/153906970305?hash=item23d591fec1:g:5AcAAOSwAbxeoZuZ

Yeah 20 kilobucks for a salvage title ITR that was in a bad enough wreck to total it out in 2006. Sounds great.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

It's not a "one simple trick" thing, I just didn't feel like posting a manifesto in the idiots on Craigslist thread.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bod/d/cathlamet-retired-us-army-steel-tug/7105564777.html

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If I ever get super rich I want one of these Coast Guard lifeboats but a tug boat would be pretty dope.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I'd always thought it'd be dope to get a WW1 Battleship if I was mega rich. I know that there aren't that many left in the world and they're all probably museums.......
But if I was ultra mega rich, I could get one built from original plans, have it oil powered rather than coal, and as automated as possible. Then I could just roll around the seven seas, and gently caress with pirates.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Your best bet would be to replace the steam plant with an Ultra Low Speed Diesel or two, steam plant requires at least a crew of 100+ to keep running and fired, even with oil boilers.

Y'know for when that happens.

P.S. plz hire me to be an engineer on your Battleship cum Yacht.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If there's ever a time for battleyachts to become a thing, it's 2020.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://www.oceanmarine.com/detail...._current_sub=52

Low budget pirate hunter.

$90,000

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Getting the weapons and munitions for it may be challenging.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

If there's ever a time for battleyachts to become a thing, it's 2020.
Oh man, some 1%ers (or .1%ers? ) restoring/building battleyachts and launching 16" paint rounds at each other from 20 miles away. Actually bezos would probably insist one live ammo and crews.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
gonna have to late night raid some VFWs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Elviscat posted:

Your best bet would be to replace the steam plant with an Ultra Low Speed Diesel or two, steam plant requires at least a crew of 100+ to keep running and fired, even with oil boilers.

Y'know for when that happens.

P.S. plz hire me to be an engineer on your Battleship cum Yacht.
Every yacht is a cum yacht. That's the whole point.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That makes me wonder a bit why there are fewer running heritage warships than planes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Munin posted:

That makes me wonder a bit why there are fewer running heritage warships than planes.

Because old planes only cost a buttload to run, whereas ships cost a poo poo-ton. And leak, rust, sink, etc.
To be fair, planes fall out of the sky, but are generally less complex systems than ships.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Because old planes only cost a buttload to run, whereas ships cost a poo poo-ton. And leak, rust, sink, etc.
To be fair, planes fall out of the sky, but are generally less complex systems than ships.

Much easier to stick a P-51 in a shed for 30 years than to do the same with a battleship.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Much easier to stick a P-51 in a shed for 30 years than to do the same with a battleship.

Yeah, there is the issue that typical parking locations for watercraft tend to eat them if left alone.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, there is the issue that typical parking locations for watercraft tend to eat them if left alone.

Also, the US Navy likes to blow up old ships in training exercises.

Not that airplanes are immune to destruction--you can count the number of still-flying B-17s on your two hands.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pham Nuwen posted:

Not that airplanes are immune to destruction--you can count the number of still-flying B-17s on your two hands.

Lot of planes get cut up or scrapped, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lot of planes get cut up or scrapped, though.

Yeah that's what I was referring to for B-17s and other WWII planes, they ended up in scrapyards or got melted down. My dad was always a little upset that his dad didn't scoop a Mustang or similar back when you could (apparently) get them for the price of a used car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress the Mustangs, I would have got a Corsair :colbert:

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Pham Nuwen posted:

or B-29s — there are only two airworthy ones in existence. if you’re ever in Wisconsin in late July, go to the EAA show; you can see both of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

snugglz posted:

or B-29s — there are only two airworthy ones in existence. if you’re ever in Wisconsin in late July, go to the EAA show; you can see both of them

My dad's been talking about flying out to that show for 20 years; maybe when he retires he'll finally go and I'll join him.

Although there are few places I'd less like to be than Wisconsin in late July. My grandparents lived out there and summer visits were only tolerable thanks to their relatively cool basement and our daily trips to the lake.