Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Thank you friend! These are so freaking incredible. More flavor, detail, and coherent aesthetic than AoS by a country mile. Those snapping-turtle-kroxigors are so good :love:

FYI if you have access to a 3d printer or would consider buying one, Lost Kingdom has a Patreon where they release new models each month. They're also running a Kickstarter now to sell 3d printable files for a modular terrain set which comes with a bunch of models (and more incoming as stretch goals), including the dopest slann I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
While on the topic of 3rd party minis, does anyone have any thoughts on alternate Ogre Butcher models? The GW ones look so lumpy and weird and Id prefer to avoid finecast if possible

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Sorry for the noob question, but I wanted to make sure I was looking at the right things to get started. It looks like I can get the basic rules from the web site, then all I need to get going is the Battletome for the army I want as far as books right?
The Skeleton Horde starter box is for Legions of Nagash, is that correct? Can I also use that box for an Ossiarch Bonereaper army?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Funzo posted:

Sorry for the noob question, but I wanted to make sure I was looking at the right things to get started. It looks like I can get the basic rules from the web site, then all I need to get going is the Battletome for the army I want as far as books right?
The Skeleton Horde starter box is for Legions of Nagash, is that correct? Can I also use that box for an Ossiarch Bonereaper army?

It is for Legions of Nagash. Ossiarch Bonereapers have completely different skeleton-ish guys for their troops. However the big Arkhan the Black that you get in that box can indeed be used in both armies.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Boing posted:

It is for Legions of Nagash. Ossiarch Bonereapers have completely different skeleton-ish guys for their troops. However the big Arkhan the Black that you get in that box can indeed be used in both armies.

Ok thanks. I'll have to decide which one I want to go with. I'm leaning towards Bonereapers just for the 4-armed skeletons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mikey Purp posted:

FYI if you have access to a 3d printer or would consider buying one, Lost Kingdom has a Patreon where they release new models each month. They're also running a Kickstarter now to sell 3d printable files for a modular terrain set which comes with a bunch of models (and more incoming as stretch goals), including the dopest slann I've ever seen.

There's also The Artisan's Guild, they did a Lizardman back in November, Warning though, they do have a cheesecake model as part of their standard monthly build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07u0oleuX4A, and the the April release are a nice skink/sahagin hybrid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-HKc6ioqw4

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grundma posted:

While on the topic of 3rd party minis, does anyone have any thoughts on alternate Ogre Butcher models? The GW ones look so lumpy and weird and Id prefer to avoid finecast if possible

I use Reaper's ogre witch doctor for my butcher (she's one row back in the photo), and their ogre magi for my firebelly:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Another maybe dumb question. What's the difference between the digital battletome I can get for $35 from the Warhammer Digital site and the one for $20 I can get through the Age of Sigmar app?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Funzo posted:

Another maybe dumb question. What's the difference between the digital battletome I can get for $35 from the Warhammer Digital site and the one for $20 I can get through the Age of Sigmar app?

Getting it through the AoS app will unlock some battleplan stuff, which I don't really understand. The interface for reading the book in the AoS app isn't great, I've found it much worse than using iBook on my phone. The digital site version is more portable because it's an ePub. I get all my Sigmar books through the app because they are cheaper like you've noticed, and they are easy to find and all in one place in the AoS app. My book library on my phone can make it hard to find 40k books I'm looking for.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
I'm nearly done painting my first army ever, having a really great time (was even going to submit them to a newbie painting competition at my local GW store in late March, which obviously never happened). The army is Slaanesh plus some of the StD Start Collecting box, and my only complaint is that I am sick to death of painting daemonettes. Which brings me to my question: I really could use maybe 10-20 more daemonettes, and I'm debating grabbing proxies from Raging Heroes or some other such place, purely to have some variety in the army and to not have to assemble/paint the same old models again... any recommendations or reasons not to use proxies?

Bonus question, slightly related: my girlfriend recently suggested buying me a 3D printer, which I politely declined. Is it still true that unless you go with resin (which I'm not interested in dealing with), the quality will be noticeably bad? I'm not broke and don't mind paying GW their blood money for quality minis, but I also could see using a 3D printer for terrain pieces, or decent proxies assuming the quality is up to snuff.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

You can get results that are Pretty Good with an FDM 3D printer, but it's basically an additional hobby, trying to get everything to work and look good. Check out 3D Printed Table Top. You could go full SLA, but that's even more of an expense of both time and money. It also stinks, so you need dedicated space.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Team_q posted:

You can get results that are Pretty Good with an FDM 3D printer, but it's basically an additional hobby, trying to get everything to work and look good. Check out 3D Printed Table Top. You could go full SLA, but that's even more of an expense of both time and money. It also stinks, so you need dedicated space.

New bioresins smell much, much better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
From what I understand you go resin if you're doing high detail small batch and FDM for more models and scenery. Plus if something goes wrong with FDM like a power outage or spool run out most printers let you pick up where you left off. Power outage during resin ruins the model and requires a fair bit of clean up to strain the failure bits out of the resin bath. I keep telling myself to pick one up but then I tell myself if I wait a year better tech will be out. I've been telling myself both for about 3-4 years.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Veritas posted:

I'm nearly done painting my first army ever, having a really great time (was even going to submit them to a newbie painting competition at my local GW store in late March, which obviously never happened). The army is Slaanesh plus some of the StD Start Collecting box, and my only complaint is that I am sick to death of painting daemonettes. Which brings me to my question: I really could use maybe 10-20 more daemonettes, and I'm debating grabbing proxies from Raging Heroes or some other such place, purely to have some variety in the army and to not have to assemble/paint the same old models again... any recommendations or reasons not to use proxies?
slapping some daemonette claws/heads on witch elves could work. or i like to spice regiments up by mixing in their older edition models off of ebay.
both arguably money > sense moves, though.

Raging Heroes mantis ladies are nice, the only downside ("downside") being a no-no at official GW poo poo. iirc RH have a good track record of their models actually resembling the online renders.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 23, 2020

Moltke
May 13, 2009
I'm interested in dabbling in AoS (never having played it of WFB before) with a Greywater Fastness army because I just loving love dwarves. I'm also planning to use the army in retro WFB games with some friends and hopefully see some action in The Old World whenever that comes out.

I grabbed the start collecting box but have little idea of where to go from there. I'm hoping to have somewhere around 500 to 1000 points to mess around with friends without getting beaten too badly (probably no tournament play) but mainly I just want to have a blast with some dwarves.

Any recommendations on other models to pick up? If they belong to other races, I would rather proxy a close-enough dwarf equivalent, even if I have to get something OOP on ebay.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Bela'kor finished! I struggled a lot with this one, but in the end I'm happy with how he turned out.

I'm running out of excuses not to get started on Archaon. Just looking at the model is intimidating as hell though.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up some terradon Riders today!

These fellas are awkward to paint with the moving base and stuff sticking out everywhere.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Moltke posted:

I'm interested in dabbling in AoS (never having played it of WFB before) with a Greywater Fastness army because I just loving love dwarves. I'm also planning to use the army in retro WFB games with some friends and hopefully see some action in The Old World whenever that comes out.

Any recommendations on other models to pick up? If they belong to other races, I would rather proxy a close-enough dwarf equivalent, even if I have to get something OOP on ebay.

A Freeguild General and some Freeguild Handgunners would be good for an actual Greywater force; they aren't Dwarves, but they are super generic "general" and "unit of guys with guns" units, so I'm sure you could find Dwarf proxies somewhere easily enough. Unfortunately afaik Dwarf Thunderers (the oldschool "Dwarf gunners" unit) are OOP.

That said, you may want to consider running your Dwarves as Tempest's Eye instead of Greywater Fast in AoS because TE has the option of using Karadron Overlords units (every fourth unit in your army can be KO and still benefit from the Cities and Tempest's Eye keywords). That would significantly expand the range of default-Dwarven model options you have building your list.

Baku fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 26, 2020

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
What Gloomspite units go well with Ironjawz? I grabbed a mangler squig cause it looks awesome but now I'm thinking of doing a combined force.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senator Drinksalot posted:

What Gloomspite units go well with Ironjawz? I grabbed a mangler squig cause it looks awesome but now I'm thinking of doing a combined force.

I like some flavor of Arachnarok Spider, personally. They all have their uses, even if it's to distract the opponent from your other stuff.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

edit: Nevermind, wrong thread.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
GW are doing a limited reopening of their warehouses , and you'll be able to order some stuff from this Friday. It's tempting, but I think I'll refrain and try and keep my family and the people working there safer.

Gives me more time to purchase a battletome for my inevitable second army for when everything spins up again :getin:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I am more hopeful for GW reopening the warehouses as the bloke who owns my FLGS has been really feeling the pinch during this, and he has been trying to come up with a dozen ways he can still sell product while nobody can go in. He's said he's going to make house deliveries himself if he has to, and he's a nice person so I'll support him.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I decided to finally paint the drat Nighthaunts I've had from buying a Soul Wars box forever ago. I had painted a bunch of the Sigmarines, but they're in various states of yeesh, so..

Question is: when priming Nighthaunts, would you recommend white or black? I'm gonna stick to standard ghostface killa scheme for them.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 28, 2020

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheHoosier posted:

I decided to finally paint the drat Nighthaunts I've had from buying a Soul Wars box forever ago. I had painted a bunch of the Sigmarines, but they're in various states of yeesh, so..

Question is: when priming Nighthaunts, would you recommend white or black? I'm gonna stick to standard ghostface killa scheme for them.

White plus contrast, done.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

TheHoosier posted:

TKIY posted:

White plus contrast, done.

Yeah, white base + contrasts or inks is probably the way to go for nighthaunts. They're like the 100% perfect models for contrast. I'd honestly think you will get them painted in 1/4 the time using contrast paints compared to normal, with comparable results. Unless you're trying for a super high level stuff, in which case I don't think the base color matters much.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Yeah, white base + contrasts or inks is probably the way to go for nighthaunts. They're like the 100% perfect models for contrast. I'd honestly think you will get them painted in 1/4 the time using contrast paints compared to normal, with comparable results. Unless you're trying for a super high level stuff, in which case I don't think the base color matters much.

I'm Extremely Bad at mini painting to the point where ive got a bunch of false starts into the hobby to my name.. So the easier the better. this sounds good to me

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Just remember that anything you paint will look better than gray plastic, and it is extremely difficult to paint an army that doesn't look good so long as the color scheme is coherent and everything in the army is painted. Everyone's first minis aren't great, but everyone can paint good minis, even if a lot of us won't ever paint great minis. :)

Speaking of not great minis, I finally finished these dumb loving assholes.

Those new chaos knight minis look wonderful, but they are an unholy pain in the rear end to assemble. I don't think even one of those guys fits together perfectly. It feels like the models were designed in Blender and they then used some unholy algorithm to split them into parts, and that algorithm's only goal is to fit as much unto the sprue as possible. They just have the weirdest part division.

That also makes it impossible to paint them in subassemblies. Usually with knight-type-dudes you'd want to paint the horse and the rider separately, and the shield separately. Nope. The shield, the arm holding it, the reins, and half the horse's head are all one piece (???). The rider's legs are the same piece as the horse.

Oh, and the rider and saddle are covered in details that you can only paint by awkwardly moving your brush around the shield and the reins.

I've never hated painting models that look this good before.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I painted a couple guys! I haven't painted a mini since I was in high school*, so there was some serious relearning to do, but these models were pretty fun to paint- all wacky faces and lovingly highlighted codpieces.

*I slapped together a crappy genestealer in the summer, but that was just messing around

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

I finally finished these dumb loving assholes.

I would agree 100% with this assessment. I've got them built and primed and a couple in the early stages of basecoating, but holy hell is painting them a chore. Like you said, usually the very detailed models are super fun to paint... but not so with these. I wanted them as part of my Slaanesh army but I might just get some more Seekers or something (as sick of painting Daemonettes/Seekers as I am, at least they're quick). Then again, I've got plenty of time on my hands to finish them up.

Here's a Nurgle Blightking I've just finished. I've never done any basing work beyond slapping on some of that GW cracked mud stuff, but I'm holding off until I watch enough youtube tutorials to know wtf I am doing and give him a proper base:

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

This is great i am also working on some sick boys. What you use for your skin?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
I've had great success with plaguebearer flesh contrast paint from GW... Anything with a bunch of texture on it works pretty well with contrast paints, but I do go back over and highlight/wash select parts.

Here are some more (warband from Underworlds) that I used the same skin tone for (but used a grey primer instead of white, can hardly tell the difference though):

VVV: thanks for this!

Veritas fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 29, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJGqInWb2yo

If you haven't seen it yet Duncan did a pretty good Contrast technique video a while ago with some good nurgle related tips.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

TheHoosier posted:

I'm Extremely Bad at mini painting to the point where ive got a bunch of false starts into the hobby to my name.. So the easier the better. this sounds good to me

You could also just use Hexwraith Flame for the ghostly parts and Nighthaunt Gloom for the robes. They are a little thinner than contrast paints but work pretty much the same and Hexwraith Flame in particular gives a cool effect with no work at all

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Geisladisk posted:

I've never hated painting models that look this good before.

I hear you.

These fuckers look great and I will never paint another one of them.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I just put together my very first Skeleton Warrior and I'm already questioning what kind of special hell I've gotten myself in to.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Funzo posted:

I just put together my very first Skeleton Warrior and I'm already questioning what kind of special hell I've gotten myself in to.

its hell

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Funzo posted:

I built and speed painted 80 of them for adepticon last year :shepface:

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Funzo posted:

I have the Skaven battleforce on the way and am ready to experience this feeling for my hundreds of ratbois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It’s worse because it’s hair and flesh but it’s better because it’s not endless bone