Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good heavens, it's almost been a year since BotL was banned because of this thread. How time flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Samovar posted:

Good heavens, it's almost been a year since BotL was banned because of this thread. How time flies.

I think I missed that. How'd that happen?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It wasn't just because of this thread (though he did get threadbanned), but it was just being what BotL always was: absolutely miserable and tearing down everything that didn't appeal to their extremely narrow sensibilities.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So many people are wearing the mask now, but not for the reason the movie expected.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mocked a child of color for identifying with Miles.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Polaron posted:

Also tried to insinuate that identifying with individuals of similar race/creed/orientation/etc was promoting bigotry or someshit. lol whoops that was one of his cruddy hangers-ons that posted that one.

They got a 30 in January 2019 and it was the best birthday present ever.

Dude finally got popped for arguing in bad faith in Book Barn.

The poo poo starts around page 20/21 if you get antsy.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 28, 2020

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Polaron posted:

Is there an easy way of finding someone's rap sheet without going through the thread? That's messed up and I want to see it for myself.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
This is the exchange that finally led to him getting threadbanned.

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife nudged me during the movie, and I looked over to find next to us a four year old boy, who was black, in Brooklyn, leaned over the empty seat next to us, mouth agape at the film's finale. It was a pretty ideal way to watch the movie.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The movie is about a kid losing his individuality as his story is hijacked by others, and he turns into a consumer and then a product.

teacup posted:

To you it may be. But to a four year old black kid it’s the only movie he’s ever seen with a kid who looks like him winning the day. So gently caress off in just one conversation of one thread with your bullshit.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's a stretch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Just a miserable, miserable poster.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Basically, it was a question of when they were finally going to get a perma for being an antagonistic rear end almost everywhere they went.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I didn’t speak up at the time, and I regret it now, because BOTL was a condescending bully, but I also live in Brooklyn and witnessed in the theater a mom putting an excited arm around her son, both POC, and giving a quiet “yeah!” during the “What’s Up Danger” sequence. It was really sweet and made my viewing experience that much better and it pissed me off to no end that BOTL couldn’t comprehend people enjoying a movie they didn’t like, and ultimately assuming the anecdote was just made up. It wasn’t, because it happened to me too. This film made people happy and inspired many. Not to relitigate BOTL, but wow it’s so much nicer now that they’re not around.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Kinda weird BotL finally got perma'd just for being an annoying dick, and not for when he'd stalk someone through every thread he posted in constantly mocking him for collecting legos regardless of what was being talked about. But whatever I guess. At least he's gone.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
White posters awkwardly trying to dance around why they thought Well Akually Spiderverse Was Bad without admitting they're racist was one of this movie's gifts to us.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Marin Karin posted:

Kinda weird BotL finally got perma'd just for being an annoying dick, and not for when he'd stalk someone through every thread he posted in constantly mocking him for collecting legos regardless of what was being talked about. But whatever I guess. At least he's gone.

Toy collecting and it was my toy photos. I had him on ignore so he probably said a lot worse poo poo idk.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Count me in as a ITSV super fan. I can't stop geeking out over it.

Also, unless they do a major time skip for part 2, Miles is 14 and Gwen is 15 and i'd prefer they remain friends. I just love watching best friends do superhero stuff (like Harley and Ivy in the new DCU harley show) and I'm tired of movies trying to cram true love into the span of one week or however long this movie lasted.

However, I know that Gwen and Miles eventually get together in the comics and I also love that. But gimme spider-buddies for at least 5 years.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean it was very clearly setting up a romance and they had a ton of chemistry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The latest trend with kids movies and cartoons seems to be moving away from romantic subplots, probably due to everyone making them having grown up with excruciatingly tedious and unrealistic ones. I mean hell, a good part of why we have incels is a lot of people get their only ideas about romantic relationships from media.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think the only disappointing part about Spiderverse for me was that Doc Ock got knocked out pretty quickly. After seeing her not back down against all the Spideys and also not taking any poo poo from Kingpin it was a bit disappointing that she'd get thrown under the bus

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lechtansi posted:

Count me in as a ITSV super fan. I can't stop geeking out over it.

Also, unless they do a major time skip for part 2, Miles is 14 and Gwen is 15 and i'd prefer they remain friends. I just love watching best friends do superhero stuff (like Harley and Ivy in the new DCU harley show) and I'm tired of movies trying to cram true love into the span of one week or however long this movie lasted.

However, I know that Gwen and Miles eventually get together in the comics and I also love that. But gimme spider-buddies for at least 5 years.

I'd say that if it wasn't a teenage black-hispanic boy and white blonde girl romance, in which case that kind of representation reverses the balance.

See the Star Wars films where Finn was forced to be just friends with both his male and (white) female romantic interests (and even the one he finally got in the second movie!).

Were it not a pairing type that major media normally shies away from, especially at that age group, I'd completely agree with you.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Darko posted:

See the Star Wars films where Finn was forced to be just friends with both his male and (white) female romantic interests (and even the one he finally got in the second movie!).

The ‘romance’ with Rose is presented as being entirely one-sided. She adores him, and it ends there.

Contrast with Rise of Skywalker where Isaac and Boyega were actively playing their roles as though they were a couple. They’re constantly touching eachother, and the hug at the end is very loving. They did the best they could at representing that, working within Abrams’ framework.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

The ‘romance’ with Rose is presented as being entirely one-sided. She adores him, and it ends there.

Still it would've been nice if her character had been paid off in some way in ROS instead of being sidelined because JJ wanted to give Dominic Monaghan a job.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Lechtansi posted:

I just love watching best friends do superhero stuff (like Harley and Ivy in the new DCU harley show)

Boy, have I got bad news for you

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Polaron posted:

Boy, have I got bad news for you

I know, I know. She identifies as an Eco-Terrorist.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

There's a Q&A going on at the moment, peep the hashtag. The main @spiderverse twitter account is reposting everything.

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1258204813801578497?s=19

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1258204302624997376?s=19

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1258206340486332419?s=19

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1258211865408049152?s=19

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1258207277602926595?s=19

https://twitter.com/rodneyrothman/status/1258211088274829312?s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 7, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Polaron posted:

Going by those links provided, it reads more to me that he expressed skepticism of the claim that a black 4 year old would have never seen a movie starring an African American child.

Now, I'm white as hell, but that does seem like a bit of a stretch. Like, he's four! Why are we assuming his parents are negligent with their kids art or media? Even just sticking with Disney productions (which are hardly free of racism!) Miles is their 3rd Black main character in recent years.

Obviously there's no need to be as severe or dismissive as Lamps could be when expressing ourselves, but this is still the level of discourse:

mycot posted:

White posters awkwardly trying to dance around why they thought Well Akually Spiderverse Was Bad without admitting they're racist was one of this movie's gifts to us.

Lol if you think it's only others (long dead) who are capable of creating toxicity, just lol

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Why is it a stretch that a kid would be psyched as hell to see a cool rear end superhero, who reminds them of themselves and the people around them, getting complete center stage as opposed to 7th rank in the Avengers? And is also allowed to be a fallible human, and be legitimately funny? Have any major superhero aside from Dominic Toretto (shut up, we all know those are superhero movies now) listened to Rap and Hip Hop?

The representation that ITSV, especially on a major platform, was unprecedented. The closest is Black Panther, which honestly was huge. But it also told black kids "Oh, you aren't a prince? poo poo, guess your out of luck." Not to mention the fact that kids aspire to be cool older kids more immediately than they do cool adults. So a kid, who looks like them and lives a life not too dissimilar to them, going out into the world in a complete power fantasy that suggests that they too are allowed to be special? That's huge to kids who are often forgotten because they are not 'The Default'.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They’re just trying to rile you up for whatever reason. There’s no reason to ever stick up for or even remember bravest of the lamps.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
BotL getting his stupid miserable rear end banned is a feature, not a bug, there isn’t anything to be gained in litigating it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's always worth remembering that representation matters, and while popular culture is still getting better in that regard, we still have a very long way to go, so it's worth celebrating films like this that have both positive representation and an extremely good message that kids can look up to.

As to Bravest, he was a toxic poster who was immensely dismissive of those that didn't agree with his extremely narrow interpretation of films and other media properties. In the exchange I posted, the dude had merely posted "Hey, it was cool to watch the movie next to a kid who was really into it," and Bravest responded by (effectively) saying "actually, movie is bad." Dude was just a jerk.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blood Boils posted:

Going by those links provided, it reads more to me that
You read it wrong, hope that helps.

Did anyone watch the 3D version of Spiderverse when it was in theatres? I missed that boat and wondered if it added much to the film.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Blood Boils posted:

Going by those links provided, it reads more to me that he expressed skepticism of the claim that a black 4 year old would have never seen a movie starring an African American child.

Now, I'm white as hell, but that does seem like a bit of a stretch. Like, he's four! Why are we assuming his parents are negligent with their kids art or media? Even just sticking with Disney productions (which are hardly free of racism!) Miles is their 3rd Black main character in recent years.

Obviously there's no need to be as severe or dismissive as Lamps could be when expressing ourselves, but this is still the level of discourse:

Lol if you think it's only others (long dead) who are capable of creating toxicity, just lol

Yeah no.

I think representation politics are pretty meh but even I will admit that Miles Morales being the star of the movie is a huge loving deal for young Black kids (and even other minority children) who rarely get to see themselves and someone near their age portrayed not only as the hero, but as someone with complex feelings who is allowed to make mistakes and still succeed.

I recall that situation with BotL and it was gross on every level. Why do you feel the need to defend any aspect of his argument?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
What other superhero movies are there starring black kids or black people at all? The only thing that comes to mind is Black Panther and that's pretty much not age-appropriate at all for a 4-year-old.

e: and regardless, I'm guessing any other examples aren't nearly as good as Spiderverse since Spiderverse is loving amazing

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Blood Boils posted:

"Black kids aren't poor under-represented in cinema, they have a refridgerator Black Panther" is a bad take, OP.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

FilthyImp posted:

Did anyone watch the 3D version of Spiderverse when it was in theatres? I missed that boat and wondered if it added much to the film.

It ruled. Granted, I only saw it in that format like twice. But I'm confident in saying that it ruled.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Grendels Dad posted:

"Black kids aren't poor under-represented in cinema, they have a refridgerator Black Panther" is a bad take, OP.

I appreciate the self-own in saying 3 (!) whole black characters is enough, why are people complaining.

mycot fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 7, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FilthyImp posted:

It was so good. The animation style lends itself to 3D very well. It enhances the movie without being distracting.

Definitely recommend getting high as a kite and seeing it in 3D if it ever comes back to theaters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, I caught it in Imax 3D when it came back to cinemas after the Oscar nomination and it was fantastic! The big collider fight at the end worked amazingly well in 3D, and I’m glad I got to see it that way.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's always worth remembering that representation matters, and while popular culture is still getting better in that regard, we still have a very long way to go, so it's worth celebrating films like this that have both positive representation and an extremely good message that kids can look up to.

The 70s was full of awesome black heroes that made it well into the mainstream and were popular for a lot of the 80s and early 90s, then they got ditched and forgotten by the next generation. Also black people still have the same wealth they did in 1968.

Please don't read this as me saying "representation doesn't matter at all" - of course it does! - and more like thinking "Will and Grace did a lot to mainstream acceptance of gay marriage, but also rich gay people still hate poor gays and I don't think Black Panther is gonna stop some racist cop from shooting an unarmed black guy in the back". I've never had anyone able to explain to me how representation is going to fix the issues that are tearing America apart - the best I get is some line about "a postive role model" when in fact it's a power fantasy. The people "represented" are still largely gorgeous richies that validate our current economic order.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Papercut posted:

What other superhero movies are there starring black kids or black people at all? The only thing that comes to mind is Black Panther and that's pretty much not age-appropriate at all for a 4-year-old.

e: and regardless, I'm guessing any other examples aren't nearly as good as Spiderverse since Spiderverse is loving amazing

Meteor Man :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Polaron posted:

Meteor Man :v:

Blankman :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Meteor Man is actually pretty fun. It's a really nice cultural time capsule of the 90s.