Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Jono C posted:

Wow. All hail V'landys, overlord of league.

That's new avatar material if I ever saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jono C posted:

Wow. All hail V'landys, overlord of league.

https://www.facebook.com/triplemnrl/videos/818069492009627/

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
The axe was about to drop on Greenberg right when the Covid-19 stuff first emerged so it's not too surprising.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Having installed their bloke as the ARLC chair, then ousting the CEO, it looks like the tv networks aren't wasting any time in squeezing the NRL's balls over the broadcasting deal. Reports this morning are they're close to closing a deal on a three year extension.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Is this three year extension going to be another poo poo deal for the game just to get a short term cash injection? Because if that's the case, I don't get why V'landys is being hailed as a saviour while Greenberg is being blamed for everything that has gone wrong. It's not as if Greenberg did a great job to begin with, but it feels like he'll be used as a scapegoat for any fuckups by the new regime.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jono C posted:

Is this three year extension going to be another poo poo deal for the game just to get a short term cash injection? Because if that's the case, I don't get why V'landys is being hailed as a saviour while Greenberg is being blamed for everything that has gone wrong. It's not as if Greenberg did a great job to begin with, but it feels like he'll be used as a scapegoat for any fuckups by the new regime.

Because the media own V'landys and are the ones who pushed hard for him to get the job in the first place.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Great. So we're back to the bad old days of garbage deals for the TV rights.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I mean... if it's a choice between a garbage 3 year tv deal or the game (or several clubs) dying then I'll take the garbage deal to get us back on our feet.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
So now Nathan Cleary has been busted violating lockdown ruled. Bunch of girls rocked up at his house

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MiniSune posted:

So now Nathan Cleary has been busted violating lockdown ruled. Bunch of girls rocked up at his house
probably worth the fine

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Thought he still lived with his parents?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

Thought he still lived with his parents?

No idea.

Be interesting though what the nrl does moreso with JAC and Latrel.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

MiniSune posted:

No idea.

Be interesting though what the nrl does moreso with JAC and Latrel.

All three have the NSW rep exemption so a fine and minor suspension.

edit: and a death penalty for Tyrone Roberts-Davis under the fringe first grader weighting

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Competition is locked in as a 20 week season, starting May 28. First two rounds count (lol gently caress off Easts).

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

Competition is locked in as a 20 week season, starting May 28. First two rounds count (lol gently caress off Easts).

I'm gonna carry on assuming this won't happen so I don't get disappointed.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i’ve already kind of given up on the season since our 9 did his acl

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
lol@NRL players still doing stupid poo poo despite being in a pandemic.

iajanus posted:

Good to hear. I sure did not want Manly to have to play Storm & Roosters back-to-back again. :)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Fanatic posted:

lol@NRL players still doing stupid poo poo despite being in a pandemic.

Yeah but if you can imagine what it would be like to have one of them as your nation’s leader then you can put yourself into the American experience.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Smorgasbord posted:

All three have the NSW rep exemption so a fine and minor suspension.

edit: and a death penalty for Tyrone Roberts-Davis under the fringe first grader weighting

Eh slaps on the wrist really.

Hilariously NSW are investigating with a view to charging the three over firearms offended.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's like a second off-season. How hard is it not to be a fuckwit? Very, if you play in the NRL, apparently.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

It's like a second off-season. How hard is it not to be a fuckwit? Very, if you play in the NRL, apparently.

Being a fuckwit is a prerequisite if you want to play in the NRL.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jono C posted:

Being a fuckwit is a prerequisite if you want to play in the NRL.

At this stage, I'm convinced the players all do an intelligence test. The lower you score, the better!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/300001029/nsw-police-clear-nathan-cleary-as-the-nrl-launches-fresh-probe-into-two-new-videos

Cleary busted lying about how long the girls were at his place. Unless they choreographed and recorded two Tiktok videos in that ten minute window they were supposedly there.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Jono C posted:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/300001029/nsw-police-clear-nathan-cleary-as-the-nrl-launches-fresh-probe-into-two-new-videos

Cleary busted lying about how long the girls were at his place. Unless they choreographed and recorded two Tiktok videos in that ten minute window they were supposedly there.

That fine and ban are about to become unsuspended.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jono C posted:

Well it is possible yet unlikely

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

Well it is possible yet unlikely

It's not just the time they were there though, he's lied about knowing he was being photographed and filmed. Already implausible with the photos given the positioning, but yeah if he's being filmed doing group tiktok dances then he's undeniably being a stupid idiot as a high profile sportsperson in a lockdown, then lying about it to the integrity unit.

Ivan will be fuming, awkward time in progress if he is indeed in lockdown with Dad.

edit: those girls have a lot of making up to do after this all settles down

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 29, 2020

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I honestly don't have words for the stupidity of the nrl players

Mostly because it's so expected, but still so shocking.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Cleary needs to just ‘fess up and take it on the chin.

I mean if anyone can he can, jfc

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

now the players are going to revolt because of pay.

gently caress it, let the NRL collapse, and maybe in a few years have a semi-pro comp where the players work real jobs as well.
primadonas.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

now the players are going to revolt because of pay.

gently caress it, let the NRL collapse, and maybe in a few years have a semi-pro comp where the players work real jobs as well.
primadonas.

I don't know, I don't mind the Warriors players raising questions about what's the deal with their families during the time. I mean, I would hope the NRL had thought that part through, but they're not really renowned for doing that...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the NRL is dumb

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

It seems like V'Landys is trying to pretend it's a fait acompli in an attempt to strongarm the state and federal governments into going along with it. Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off...

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

I don't know, I don't mind the Warriors players raising questions about what's the deal with their families during the time. I mean, I would hope the NRL had thought that part through, but they're not really renowned for doing that...

It makes sense they want everything sorted out before they get on the plane. The last time they flew to Australia, they were expecting it to be a four day trip, and they got poo poo for not being happy about potentially being separated from their families for six months.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

It seems like V'Landys is trying to pretend it's a fait acompli in an attempt to strongarm the state and federal governments into going along with it. Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off...

Just saw a headline where the Queensland government gave it the ok so apparently it's working somehow

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12328934

quote:

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has denied reports that the Warriors have been given permission to fly into Australia for the resumption of the NRL season.

FFS

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

That's actually how we confirm government policy here, everything is ok

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Nathaniel Roache tested positive to flu-like symptoms so didn't get to fly to Tamworth

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Nathaniel Roache tested positive to flu-like symptoms so didn't get to fly to Tamworth

I'm surprised he didn't get injured walking towards the plane.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

classic Roache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, Bryce Cartwright may not get to play, because he's an anti-vaxxer.

Good. gently caress him, the stupid fuckwit.