Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I guess this is the best place to ask about this, there was a VOIP/POTS thread ages ago. The year is 2020 and Kotex needs a home VOIP setup (I think.) I'm taking care of my parents through the quarantine, my cell service Sucks rear end out here (and not in the hip millennial way) but we have pretty decent internet. I hear the Google Voice hardware adapters introduce a fair amount of lag. Is there a good, cheap, reliable VOIP service? All the ones I see online seem to be geared towards businesses ($$$). Even better if the hardware is compatible with a plain old corded phone. Alternately, I know my parents' house used to have two phone lines back in the early 2000s, would it be cheaper to just buy a second landline again? Probably not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Couldn't you just use Skype? Haven't really used voip in a long time, but I know you used to be able to get Skype telephone numbers etc and I'm pretty confident there's a Skype app you could use on your cell assuming your home network is wireless. If your computer is always on, maybe you could use a usb phone handset?

If you absolutely need an old skool hardware phone, I used a device from Engin. Australian company, worked really well for international calls and was pretty cheap. Not sure if they sell internationally though.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 28, 2020

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there a good, cheap, reliable VOIP service?

Even better if the hardware is compatible with a plain old corded phone.

Many still use: https://www.magicjack.com/

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

voip.ms is pretty great if you want cheap and a ton of configuration options. If you get an analogue telephone adapter you can hook your old phones up.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Albinator posted:

voip.ms is pretty great if you want cheap and a ton of configuration options. If you get an analogue telephone adapter you can hook your old phones up.
This looks pretty good, but I'm surprised to see that they charge per minute for outgoing calls. I was also looking at Ooma.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

True enough, but it's like a cent a minute. We don't make a ton of calls on that phone, so it might be different for you, but for us it's a lot cheaper than the landline used to be back in the day.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

This looks pretty good, but I'm surprised to see that they charge per minute for outgoing calls. I was also looking at Ooma.

My parents stopped using all the frills of vonage and the price went up to 35 bucks with a yearly prepaid

so i bought them a ooma box and my parents never looked back. it came with unlimited calling in the US (not canada) and it deducts taxes and 911 fees from a pool of credit that my father replenishes once a year. sounds pretty good,

the line isnt being used any more as everyone calls their mobile phones so i may just port their old house number to google voice and have it route to my mums mobile.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I guess this is the best place to ask about this, there was a VOIP/POTS thread ages ago. The year is 2020 and Kotex needs a home VOIP setup (I think.) I'm taking care of my parents through the quarantine, my cell service Sucks rear end out here (and not in the hip millennial way) but we have pretty decent internet. I hear the Google Voice hardware adapters introduce a fair amount of lag. Is there a good, cheap, reliable VOIP service? All the ones I see online seem to be geared towards businesses ($$$). Even better if the hardware is compatible with a plain old corded phone. Alternately, I know my parents' house used to have two phone lines back in the early 2000s, would it be cheaper to just buy a second landline again? Probably not?

Ubiquiti VOIP phones are an android tablet with a handset attached to the body, you could use their native voip platform(which requires you to pay for talk minutes) OR install skype and/or telegram on the handsets and use that free.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think I'm going to go with voip.ms as it seems a bit less gimmicky than Ooma and people have reported billing issues with Ooma. Thanks for the rec.

The next thing I need to look at is DECT phones. Grandstream looks cheap but people have reported some issues getting them to work right. Also, this is in a house with another DECT system on the POTS landline; will they interfere with each other?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I think I'm going to go with voip.ms as it seems a bit less gimmicky than Ooma and people have reported billing issues with Ooma. Thanks for the rec.

The next thing I need to look at is DECT phones. Grandstream looks cheap but people have reported some issues getting them to work right. Also, this is in a house with another DECT system on the POTS landline; will they interfere with each other?

Multiple dect basestations might work but it will degrade signal quality.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I’m the moron who has been using Vonage for a decade. AMA

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Voip.ms is some real nerd poo poo – the FreeNAS of voip. It's unbelievably complicated and set up in the least user-friendly way imaginable, but it's also bulletproof and endlessly configurable. Now that I've figured out how to use it, I love it.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Did you end up getting a hardware adapter for your regular phones? I have voip.ms, and a normal voip phone I stole from the office, but have all these telephone lines in my house that could do something.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What about a microcell?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

What about a microcell?

I had a microcell. Then ATT stopped supporting it and pushing everyone to WiFi calling instead. Then they straight up remote deactivated it and bricked it so it was super dead.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

blindjoe posted:

Did you end up getting a hardware adapter for your regular phones? I have voip.ms, and a normal voip phone I stole from the office, but have all these telephone lines in my house that could do something.
I've actually been buying voip phones and being a dork about that. Cisco phones are super, super cheap on eBay.

I do still want to find a DECT solution but they all seem to suck.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I've actually been buying voip phones and being a dork about that. Cisco phones are super, super cheap on eBay.

I do still want to find a DECT solution but they all seem to suck.

We solve this by buying a grandstream ht ata and a normal dect base unit, dect voip base stations tend to be overly complicated or just crap.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

We solve this by buying a grandstream ht ata and a normal dect base unit, dect voip base stations tend to be overly complicated or just crap.
Yeah it's too bad, I might end up going this route. I kind of wanted something modern with, for instance, Bluetooth support.

Anyone know about Cisco Unified Communications Manager? I was going to buy an 8800 series phone for its fanciness, but apparently this piece of software is required to set it up.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

SlowBloke posted:

I see, so you aren't wiring to the house network, just putting the converter right at the base unit.
does anyone wire to the house network? or is that just what the internet providers do when they give you home phone?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Are you talking about the phone lines? The purpose of VOIP is to avoid that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Yeah it's too bad, I might end up going this route. I kind of wanted something modern with, for instance, Bluetooth support.

Anyone know about Cisco Unified Communications Manager? I was going to buy an 8800 series phone for its fanciness, but apparently this piece of software is required to set it up.

Gigaset dect high end phones have bluetooth.

CUCM is rather complicated to set up and maintain in my personal experience, I would go for a ata or a phone that can be work stand alone and provisioned by asterisk/trixbox/freepbx/etc.

blindjoe posted:

I see, so you aren't wiring to the house network, just putting the converter right at the base unit.
does anyone wire to the house network? or is that just what the internet providers do when they give you home phone?

My isp is ftth so no phone lines at all, the sole phone link is just a rj11 patch cord from the ata to the dect phone base station.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 28, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

Gigaset dect high end phones have bluetooth.
I looked at these but the amazon reviews are pretty ugly.

SlowBloke posted:

CUCM is rather complicated to set up and maintain in my personal experience, I would go for a ata or a phone that can be work stand alone and provisioned by asterisk/trixbox/freepbx/etc.
Yeah, I've been using the CISCO SPA series, which can be configured through a webui. They work great even though they're pretty old and clunky. Haven't tested the bluetooth functionality yet but have a SPA525G coming for that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

I looked at these but the amazon reviews are pretty ugly.

Yeah, I've been using the CISCO SPA series, which can be configured through a webui. They work great even though they're pretty old and clunky. Haven't tested the bluetooth functionality yet but have a SPA525G coming for that.

Sipura phones (the spa lineup is not a Cisco item but a buyout) can be provisioned with a bit of tinkering from telnet/tftp

https://community.cisco.com/kxiwq67...04202010-ii.pdf

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My parents still use Magicjack. Just take that as you will.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I used Yealink phones on FreePBX with Flowroute as the provider. It does take some setting up but you can do some really interesting things with the phones, if you like tinkering around with settings. It's definitely not the thing to do if you want to just plug something in and it work by itself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gigaset Pro and Yealink DECT are both good options

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Gigaset Pro ... good options

Gigaset VOIP provisioning has alwas been a pain in the rear end to the point we usually prefer to get a discrete ata(sipura or grandstream) and a normal gigaset dect than to run C450/C530IP units

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Knowledgeable posters ITT: My parents cordless set from 2008 is dying. What is a good drop in replacement? The Panasonic DECT 6.0 set from Costco?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just a basic home DECT system? Panasonic ones are really good, don't forget the built-in voicemail option if you need it.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

The year is 2020 and Kotex needs a home VOIP setup (I think.) I'm taking care of my parents through the quarantine, my cell service Sucks rear end out here (and not in the hip millennial way) but we have pretty decent internet. I hear the Google Voice hardware adapters introduce a fair amount of lag. Is there a good, cheap, reliable VOIP service?

Yes. Buy a SIP trunk. https://les.net/voice-services/ is a great, cheap provider. To keep things simple, pay $4.99CAD a month for unlimited use of a DID, with $0.015CAD/Minute outbound. Shoot them an email to see if you can buy a local, US number from them.

quote:

All the ones I see online seem to be geared towards businesses ($$$).

You are correct as most people have cellphones. Only businesses really have a need for VOIP anymore.

quote:

Even better if the hardware is compatible with a plain old corded phone. Alternately, I know my parents' house used to have two phone lines back in the early 2000s, would it be cheaper to just buy a second landline again? Probably not?

You can actually use your existing analogue phone hardware and phone lines in your walls with a VOIP system. Buy an analogue, RJ-11 card and pop it in an old PC you are using for Asterisk.

https://www.voipsupply.com/digium-1a4b00f

This card costs $240USD new. Don't pay this much! Simply shop around on eBay or wherever for an old PC tower from the last 4-5 years (you can easily get an old PC tower that's 4-5 years old for $100) with the matching motherboard expansion slot as your analogue, RJ-11 card and you're good to go!

Then all you need to do is run an RJ-11 phone line from your Asterisk server to your phone line wall outlet, and you're good to go!

Of course if you don't get a dial tone, you will have to mess around with checking the phone line wall plates for DSL filters, and checking the outlets for a tone, but that's for a different post.

Edit:

Here's a 4-Port Analogue Telephony Card with PCI-e (M and B key) for $26USD!!!! - https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Sangoma-AFT...mUAAOSw6FheEFzl

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 20, 2020

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
I bought the Obihai OBi200 and use it with google voice. I don't detect any lag, and I'm fairly sensitive to it on cell phones/etc. I need to set up e911 service for it but I've been procrastinating.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Question for VOIP hardware:

I have a VOIP service that I'm fairly happy with. Cheap rates to Europe (my wife talks with family and friends in Europe for hours every week), free US & Canada, pretty good. My VOIP digital to analog (I think is called) adapter is a CISCO SPA112 device. To it I have a attached simple dumb phone base with wireless capabilities. It works, it's all I need really.

The problem is that every now and then the CISCO device loses the connection to the phone. It has a "phone" led on it that is normally light up green when the phone is connected, but sometimes the led turns off and the phone doesn't work anymore (no tone). Rebooting the adapter restores the phone system. I have updated the firmware on it to the latest version available from the product page, 1.4.1 (SR5).

I am not looking to change the service provider. Is this "Obihai OBi200" a better adapter? Is there a better one available? I just want it to work and not have me unplug-replug it in every 2-3 months. The less I gently caress around with it (other than the initial setup) the happier I am.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Volguus posted:

I have a VOIP service that I'm fairly happy with. Cheap rates to Europe (my wife talks with family and friends in Europe for hours every week), free US & Canada, pretty good. My VOIP digital to analog (I think is called) adapter is a CISCO SPA112 device. To it I have a attached simple dumb phone base with wireless capabilities. It works, it's all I need really.

The problem is that every now and then the CISCO device loses the connection to the phone. It has a "phone" led on it that is normally light up green when the phone is connected, but sometimes the led turns off and the phone doesn't work anymore (no tone). Rebooting the adapter restores the phone system. I have updated the firmware on it to the latest version available from the product page, 1.4.1 (SR5).

I am not looking to change the service provider. Is this "Obihai OBi200" a better adapter? Is there a better one available? I just want it to work and not have me unplug-replug it in every 2-3 months. The less I gently caress around with it (other than the initial setup) the happier I am.

I use a grandstream ht802 and I am pretty happy with it, ask your voip provider support if they have issues with it and if they have a provision profile to simplify setup.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Volguus posted:

I don’t have a comparison point with the Cisco device, but if you’re willing to accept personal anecdotes I have been using an Obi200 for the last 3 years and it’s been rock solid during that time.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for the info. Gonna try Grandstream for now and if that won't work I'll check the other one. Good to know there are some solutions out there.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why not just get a phone designed for VOIP, like the Cisco SPA series? They're cheap on eBay and I imagine there must be tons out there from offices closing right now.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Why not just get a phone designed for VOIP, like the Cisco SPA series? They're cheap on eBay and I imagine there must be tons out there from offices closing right now.

This is why:

Volguus posted:

My VOIP digital to analog (I think is called) adapter is a CISCO SPA112 device. To it I have a attached simple dumb phone base with wireless capabilities. It works, it's all I need really.

He already has a SPA device, which looks like it's crapping out the voip connection. Replacing with another SPA might not solve the issue.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Could be a good opportunity to upgrade to something like a Yealink W60P

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

He already has a SPA device, which looks like it's crapping out the voip connection. Replacing with another SPA might not solve the issue.

To be fair, that kind of phone (I saw this), would probably work. And probably won't lose connection (i would think) since it has the phone in it. But, it's corded and we want cordless since it's for the house, not an office. It's bad enough to run for whatever room the phone is in on same floor, it'd be even worse to run on a different floor. Before changing the phone itself I'll try other adapters (Grandstream is arriving now) and I'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Volguus posted:

Before changing the phone itself I'll try other adapters (Grandstream is arriving now) and I'll see.

The SPA adapters have always been kinda flaky, so the Grandstream will probably fix your issue... but if it has similar problems, try changing out the cord between the phone and the adapter if you haven't already.