Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
we were supposed to fly to the uk in june but expedia unilaterally canceled the trip and will be issuing a credit. oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

TerminalRaptor posted:

I'm still wfh minimum until June and in Ohio.

We had a guys only weekend scheduled for the end of June before this all hit and officially canceled this past weekend. We knew it wasn't happening long before that though.

Thankfully that was the only thing I had planned. I feel bad for people who had something that took a lot of planning. My one buddy is getting married in August and I don't know what their backup plan is.

with asthma im technically in a risk group so even with changes in policy id be home anyways :\

my folks have had one of two weddings they were going to reschedule and the other is september and even then they were kinda iffy. it really sucks with the deposit for a hall or event space especially because one of the nationwide groups that has a bunch of them went bankrupt in january, so some people could be getting screwed again after getting a new venue before all this

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

a couple friends were going to go on a cruise the last week or thereabouts and were given the choice between full refund or 125% credit

they took the credit :pwn: hope there's a vaccine ready by next year!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

we were supposed to fly to the uk in june but expedia unilaterally canceled the trip and will be issuing a credit. oh well.

gah. at least theres the credit. ms. vector had to cancel two conferences (i think only one refunded the ticket so far) and some family of mine goes to italy to see distant relatives and they had to scrap the summer trip

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if there’s a single industry that doesn’t deserve to survive this it’s cruise ships

they were disgusting polluting plague barges before all this happened

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DELETE CASCADE posted:

delete your account on monday april 27 at 10:07 am

delete your rear end you son of a bitch

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
I wanna do an exchange for uni to NY or Chicago in October next year and I’m dubious about that timeframe

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Agile Vector posted:

gah. at least theres the credit. ms. vector had to cancel two conferences (i think only one refunded the ticket so far) and some family of mine goes to italy to see distant relatives and they had to scrap the summer trip

it stinks but I’m not too bummed. there’s waaay too much other stuff going on in life right now and we’ll go eventually. it’s not a once in a lifetime thing for us but i do feel bad for folks who have trips like that disrupted.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
our genius overlords want your sucker asses back in the office

https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele/status/1254975781396045824

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

if there’s a single industry that doesn’t deserve to survive this it’s cruise ships

they were disgusting polluting plague barges before all this happened

hey that oil ain’t gonna burn itself

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
man poo poo is all still so hosed. the only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because there is a massive propaganda campaign telling them that it isn't hosed and they really really want it to be okay so they just eat it up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I just noticed that this thread is called the day crew thread. fyi, all of yospos is pure distilled day crew.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

FMguru posted:

our genius overlords want your sucker asses back in the office

https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele/status/1254975781396045824
Hooray proper cubicles are coming back! Now we can be as classy as the 90s!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

man poo poo is all still so hosed. the only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because there is a massive propaganda campaign telling them that it isn't hosed and they really really want it to be okay so they just eat it up.

things can always get worse

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

and will it ever get worse. It's gonna make the last few months look nice and calm.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

fart simpson posted:

it sure will

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
its been interesting* to see, after the grocery stores got wiped by that demand spike, how its now becoming a supply shortfall since that demand cratered and everybody stopped producing and plowing stuff over and etc

* worrying

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hope yall are fuckin strapped in and ready for Meatless Monday Through Saturday

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm already animal product-less 24/7/365

I mean the gross part now is that herds and flocks and everything are just being culled

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

fart simpson posted:

E: holy hell does imgur suck from mobile

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 28, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

wait till the vaccine comes out and it's discovered that it doesn't work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I'm already animal product-less 24/7/365

I mean the gross part now is that herds and flocks and everything are just being culled

why??

my brother works at the meat works and he’s never been so busy wtf

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

echinopsis posted:

why??

american meat? cuz isn't american meat farming kind of a different beast than most other countries?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

hope yall are fuckin strapped in and ready for Meatless Monday Through Saturday

carry on then posted:

it’s hard for a vaccine to work when it appears u can get it twice

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
American agriculture has only two settings: massive subsidized overproduction of the worst things and ignoring or destroying everything if anything slips up

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

i guess uk might not count any more but with flights to the eu if they cancel on you you're entitled to a refund rather than a credit so maybe worth asking about

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

echinopsis posted:

why??

a bunch of processing plants in the us have closed and there’s nowhere to send the animals so they just waste them rather than continue to feed and house them. mostly chicken and pork, cows they can just put to pasture.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there are reports that theyre trying to run the processing plants at full speed, and if workers cough they cant cover their mouths less they miss a cut on the disassembly line or w/e

so instead of running at say 70% capacity and staying open they ran at 100 or even 110%, got their whole work force sick and now they're at 0%

business owners are quite often loving idiots and this whole crisis is laying that wide open

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

carry on then posted:

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

if that’s true every time you get it you tear your lungs up a little more so it may take several rounds but it will ultimately kill everyone.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Jonny 290 posted:

there are reports that theyre trying to run the processing plants at full speed, and if workers cough they cant cover their mouths less they miss a cut on the disassembly line or w/e

so instead of running at say 70% capacity and staying open they ran at 100 or even 110%, got their whole work force sick and now they're at 0%

business owners are quite often loving idiots and this whole crisis is laying that wide open

one was running a $500 ‘responsibly bonus’ for perfect attendance in april

on the other hand now all your workforce has been exposed so no need for any more protection

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Midjack posted:

if that’s true every time you get it you tear your lungs up a little more so it may take several rounds but it will ultimately kill everyone.

don’t forget all the other organ damage!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

immunity is really screwy with this type of virus yeah

that's about all they know about this one now too

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

I’m sure the market will fix that because now the responsible operators will be able to sell at a premium since there is less supply, thereby incentivizing good safe work practices.

oh you’re telling me that there is no competition and one company owned the entire market tier and now the entire supply chain is completely irreparably broken and there is nothing for anyone? well, nevertheless, in the long run, we *gets killed in meat riots*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the american economy is trash garbage for idiots

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
welcome to the machine

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

there's no proof of this one way or the other

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i thought it appears either that you can get the disease more than once (very rarely, like double digits of people worldwide) OR that testing at certain stages may give false results and those people hadn't actually cleared the virus when they tested negative or weren't actually infected with sars-cov-2 the first time etc.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I looked at some immunology poo poo and it does seem that our own human immune response might be very strain specific, so it's perhaps not effective at fighting similar strains. (we learn how to fight only a very specific strain and not it's close brothers)

that said, creating vaccines is not the same as our body learning how to fight something, it's entirely possible that we create a vaccine that generates an immune response that's effective against multiple coronavirus strains, that our body wouldn't necessarily generate simply by exposed to the virus itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

doesn't have to be a vaccine specifically

finding an effective treatment or even a fast accurate test is also fine

besides americans only want vaccines when they aren't available