Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Infinitum posted:

37 isn't old :negative:

Barret is 35 in FF7
Tifa and Cloud are 21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Barret is 35 in FF7
Tifa and Cloud are 21

Ah, 35, the traditional Final Fantasy "old coot who's an inch from death" age. Aeron was 35 too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Barret seems pretty up and about to me. Do people think he's meant to be older than that?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Imhotep posted:

I’m actually down now that I don’t have anything else on my backlog really, around the time it came out I was actually excited about playing it with you but then none of my other friends got it and also like every good game that came out last year came out right after, (besides Sekiro which came out 6 months before but I was still playing it repeatedly). But that sounds so good rn, I need to reinstall it and get used to the new monsters and levels.

Edit: although I did impulse buy Journey to the Savage Planet and wanna play it, also a game that I need to convince a friend to get while it’s on sale. I really wish there were more co op games like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, I mean Nioh 2 just came out and is great but it’s a hard game to recommend, even to people who like, but maybe aren’t necessarily obsessed with Souls games.

Dope. Let me know what time you prefer to play at.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Barret seems pretty up and about to me. Do people think he's meant to be older than that?

I think people see Cid as old, but he's like 32

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ah yeah Cid does look like an old man.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's funny because when you were a teenager playing Final Fantasy you didn't question the ages of the characters and actually accepted it because you can relate to them. Playing these games as an adult it's hilarious to see that great conquerors and elected leaders of world superpowers are barely out of high school.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's funny because when you were a teenager playing Final Fantasy you didn't question the ages of the characters and actually accepted it because you can relate to them. Playing these games as an adult it's hilarious to see that great conquerors and elected leaders of world superpowers are barely out of high school.

It's just like real life. You're hosed at 40. It's over.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Alexander the Great died at 32
Napoleon took over France at 30

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Thundercracker posted:

I'm kinda getting fed up with Bloodstained. I thought it was going to be Symphony of the Night pikr, but it's actually a Order of Eclessia but grindier. The game wants you to grind hard but it's neither interesting or rewarding. A lot of is literally constantly revisiting old areas to open respawning treasure chssts.

I loved SOTN and really liked most of the portables that followed, but I was honestly pretty lukewarm on Bloodstained. I liked the Curse of the Moon retro game they put out beforehand more. I think there have been a lot of modern takes on the metroidvania formula that are just better.

One of the things that really put me off on it was the need to farm a movement ability to progress further into the game. I just don't see how anyone involved thought that was a good design choice. It should have at least popped the first time you killed the enemy. I got stuck for a good chunk of time because of it.

The story is trash, and I didn't love the feel of combat or the look of anything. It just felt so blah to me. SOTN is a much better game, and I don't think time has been super kind to certain elements of the SOTN design, either.

I did end up finishing it. I think I would have loved it if it came out 10 years ago.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

DrNutt posted:

Okay I'm done with the main game of Spider-Man and on to the dlc, but what is the best way to deal with the fat guys? They have been my bane through pretty much the whole game and seem even worse in the dlc. What's the easy way to deal with them gadget wise? Sometimes I just get annoyed and pop quad damage but they are seriously the worst and if you get hit twice they can chunk you down to 1/3 health.

It was already said but just to reiterate because I had the same issue, the easiest way to get rid of big enemies is to web them up and use triangle to swing them into a wall or something else they'll stick to. You have to upgrade your swing attack but if you've beaten the game I doubt that's a problem. Once I figured it out, my first move in any combat is to sling those guys to the wall so I can focus on enemies I can actually knock back. If you're out of web you can electrocute them to buy some time, and then web them up. Swinging them off a building also works, of course. Spiderman doesn't kill people!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zonko_T.M. posted:

It was already said but just to reiterate because I had the same issue, the easiest way to get rid of big enemies is to web them up and use triangle to swing them into a wall or something else they'll stick to. You have to upgrade your swing attack but if you've beaten the game I doubt that's a problem. Once I figured it out, my first move in any combat is to sling those guys to the wall so I can focus on enemies I can actually knock back. If you're out of web you can electrocute them to buy some time, and then web them up. Swinging them off a building also works, of course. Spiderman doesn't kill people!

Now I'm disappointed because that's mostly what I've already been doing! I just find them super annoying to deal with, especially when there's more than one in a fight. The opening mission if the Black Cat was really frustrating because you get them thrown at you AND you have to prioritize stopping the Maggia thieves. I do need to be better about remembering to switch to web bombs or impact webs because the regular webs just take too long and sometimes it makes all the difference.

Also Spyro is way more fun than it has any right to be, or at least it lets me turn my brain off enough to function as a sort of anti-anxiety/anti-depression game.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 28, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Alexander the Great died at 32
Napoleon took over France at 30

Old geezers by Final Fantasy standards.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Be specific, there's like 8 different Cid's across the series.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

Be specific, there's like 8 different Cid's across the series.

The Robin Williams version obv

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's things like that that put it a step above of the likes of the modern Deus Ex's despite being arguably less polished/enjoyable to play.
It's a shame it'll never get a proper sequel and the team that made it dissolved

Arkane's still around right?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

How’s Disaster Report 4 ? Worth paying full price ?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is Don Corneo Mark Hammil?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

Is Don Corneo Mark Hammil?

Nah, everyone was speculating that when the first footage of him came out, but it's Fred Tatasciore.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fit em all up in there posted:

How’s Disaster Report 4 ? Worth paying full price ?

How much pure undistilled jank can you tolerate?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Nah, everyone was speculating that when the first footage of him came out, but it's Fred Tatasciore.

Ah. Sounds just like him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Old geezers by Final Fantasy standards.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1254963967090241536

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I guess the franchise is progressing.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What emotion is that emoji expressing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Fix posted:

What emotion is that emoji expressing?

Shock

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be shocked by, besides the impeccable style.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The account holder appears to be the kind that would express only the most extreme emotional responses to minor video game character information.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Extremely :goonsay:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I looked at their account. They're excitable.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm pretty sure most of the male characters in FF7 are just the same head with a different hairstyle on it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How much pure undistilled jank can you tolerate?

I played through deadly premonition twice. I guess I’d be kinda okay with it. Is it that bad ?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played through deadly premonition twice.

:eyepop:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

JBP posted:

On the other hand idk what kind of wizardry went into developing the controls for Titanfall 2 but that was just so great from a controls perspective. It felt great to play.

Preach!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I played through deadly premonition twice. I guess I’d be kinda okay with it. Is it that bad ?

You'll be right, though if you have a way of playing DR2/Raw Danger first I'd recommend that because it's a better game, though I do like DR4

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TF2 they just committed to everything. It basically controlled like Call of Duty but then there was all this wall running and they designed all of the levels around it and made the titans actually feel like awesome beastly mechs. Nothing was gimmicky it all felt very natural and essential.

Tbh I feel the same way about the new COD even though it's way different. They are just both shooters that commit to what they are doing and knock it out of the park.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

TF2 they just committed to everything. It basically controlled like Call of Duty but then there was all this wall running and they designed all of the levels around it and made the titans actually feel like awesome beastly mechs. Nothing was gimmicky it all felt very natural and essential.

Tbh I feel the same way about the new COD even though it's way different. They are just both shooters that commit to what they are doing and knock it out of the park.

I like that in TF2 you feel like you're more than a human. You have the technology and you can do insane things, but they feel real and weighty. It's just a home run all over.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Titanfall 2 and Wolfenstein 2 are the only FPS games I have playe through and completed and loved on a console. This is wild!

I could not even enjoy Prey, which was my 2019 GOTY, until I got it for pc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prey is REALLY badly optimised for console. I tried it again recently and it feels absolutely horrible to play.

e:

Also work just told us we might not be back in to the office for another FOUR MONTHS :stare:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Prey is REALLY badly optimised for console. I tried it again recently and it feels absolutely horrible to play.

it's worth the headaches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be shocked by, besides the impeccable style.

Rufus' trenchcoat-dress is a national tragedy