Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I'm confused with this assertion that there were matches in the attitude era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm not sure if the heat RTC got was anything that translated into being 'over' as part of a storyline or match, their whole thing was "some girl is going to undress, but now they can't!" and sure, that will get heat in circa 2000 wrestling crowds. Maybe I'm misremembering, but did anyone care about them during matches?

I was at a house show in Philly at the time, RTC had 2-3 matches on the card, I can vividly recall that they got the loudest reaction, positive or negative, when they came out, and our whole section was trash-talking Steven Richards (who is from Philly) during his match and promo. They didn't cover up any women or anything like that, they just wrestled their matches and Richards did his usual "for your own good" promo (with an added local flair of announcing his plans to run for mayor). They didn't last all that long, but yeah they got massive heat from the live crowds before, during, and after their matches. For a while, all they had to do was show up.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How mainstream or popular is puro in Japan, compared to say American wrestling in the US? Has it faded from significance, or is it still going strong? I'm talking about general name recall and all, if the average Japanese person knows who Okada or Tanahashi are.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

How mainstream or popular is puro in Japan, compared to say American wrestling in the US? Has it faded from significance, or is it still going strong? I'm talking about general name recall and all, if the average Japanese person knows who Okada or Tanahashi are.

In the last few years it’s swung up again, and guys like Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Okada are showing up on variety and talk shows occasionally. It also seems like more of the hosts are just wrestling geeks and unafraid to make reference.

Put it this way: NJPW doesn’t have a TV show like RAW, but instead a TV slot that shows highlights once a week (if you’re a NJPW World subscriber it’s very unnecessary). That TV slot used to be prime time back in the day - 8 pm Friday night on one of the main broadcasters. In recent years, though, it was 3 am Friday evenings. This has changed back to Friday prime time this year based on the popularity and strength of the product.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

In the last few years it’s swung up again, and guys like Tanahashi, Nakamura, and Okada are showing up on variety and talk shows occasionally. It also seems like more of the hosts are just wrestling geeks and unafraid to make reference.

Put it this way: NJPW doesn’t have a TV show like RAW, but instead a TV slot that shows highlights once a week (if you’re a NJPW World subscriber it’s very unnecessary). That TV slot used to be prime time back in the day - 8 pm Friday night on one of the main broadcasters. In recent years, though, it was 3 am Friday evenings. This has changed back to Friday prime time this year based on the popularity and strength of the product.

do you know what they've been doing for their weekly show lately since they stopped running shows due to the pandemic? are they going with random old highlights or is it even still airing?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Thauros posted:

do you know what they've been doing for their weekly show lately since they stopped running shows due to the pandemic? are they going with random old highlights or is it even still airing?

Looking on the TV Asahi site, it looks like it's highlights from classic matches. You can get a full list of what they've covered in previous weeks here: https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/wrestling/backnumber/

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

watching a compilation of fan run ins today got me thinking, if somebody runs in the ring (be they mentally ill or not) and a wrestler injures them - does the wrestler open themself up to legal action or is it self defense ?

When the NWO formed Scott hall looks like he kicks the face off a fan

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

It's self-defense. When a fan jumps the line from "stands" to "game floor" that's criminal trespassing.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Karl Stern broke it down on his show one time. Since the trespassing fan has no legit business there, and the wrestlers/singers/whatever have no idea what he's gonna do, the trespasser can be hit enough to ensure safety. They can't drag him offstage and beat the poo poo out of him, but they can regain control.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

"The Shooter" Mark Curtis

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The IC title question got me thinking, what was the origin of the European title and how did it come to be prominently featured in the late 90s?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Karl Stern broke it down on his show one time. Since the trespassing fan has no legit business there, and the wrestlers/singers/whatever have no idea what he's gonna do, the trespasser can be hit enough to ensure safety. They can't drag him offstage and beat the poo poo out of him, but they can regain control.

Oh, poo poo, I always forget that Karl's a cop in his day job, right?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Randaconda posted:

as they should. apparently in WWE now you're supposed to just run away and wait for security, lol

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
watching the NWO beat the poo poo out of fans that would jump the rail is always entertaining

it's like when a fan decides he wants to run the length of a football field and ends up getting lit the gently caress up by a linebacker

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think when a fan runs in and does something cool, like when that shield guy slid in the ring and stood with the two real shield guys against the wyatt family, they should not beat that person up but immediately incorporate them into the storyline and offer them a contract as well as very fast training

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Cavauro posted:

i think when a fan runs in and does something cool, like when that shield guy slid in the ring and stood with the two real shield guys against the wyatt family, they should not beat that person up but immediately incorporate them into the storyline and offer them a contract as well as very fast training

Big Steve Blackman fan?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

no, i hate being mocked.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

The IC title question got me thinking, what was the origin of the European title and how did it come to be prominently featured in the late 90s?

I believe the idea was “business is poo poo in America, we’re running Europe a lot more, we can juice some more tickets if we put a belt on our biggest draw in the country who isn’t already in our main event”, and of course that draw was Bulldog. So they slapped the title on him. Then business improved in the US once Vince finally bumped the price up on the In Your House PPVs, defeating the need for more than two or three Euro tours a year, Shawn politicked his way into getting the belt, “dropped” it to Hunter after the screwjob and the two biggest Euro draws were gone, and after the Owen feud and Hunter dropping it to D-Lo the belt got relegated to lower card status and turned into the equivalent of a TV title.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, poo poo, I always forget that Karl's a cop in his day job, right?

Yeah.

So I guess the law only specifically applies to Alabama, but I can't seeing a law like that varying state to state very much

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Which FOREVER THE REVOLT member that just loving clocked the guy who tackled Bret at the HOF

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hirez posted:

Which FOREVER THE REVOLT member that just loving clocked the guy who tackled Bret at the HOF

Cash Wheeler

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

So

Lamuella posted:

Looking on the TV Asahi site, it looks like it's highlights from classic matches. You can get a full list of what they've covered in previous weeks here: https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/wrestling/backnumber/

and it still seems like they have their late-night time slot at the moment (based on the times listed there). which, that makes sense, and TV Asahi is an invested partner in NJPW, so "yeah let's just run old stuff and hold off on this move to Friday nights on BS Asahi at a better time slot for when we're ready" is likely what happened. I still trust it will happen, and it'll help boost the current product in the mainstream here as well.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
for some reason i have this story in my head of triple h wrestling chris benoit after he jumped from WCW and telling the boys in the back something along the lines of "he can be carried"

is this a real story or am I making something up? I swear I heard this once

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Low Desert Punk posted:

for some reason i have this story in my head of triple h wrestling chris benoit after he jumped from WCW and telling the boys in the back something along the lines of "he can be carried"

I can't find a primary source for it but this was a classic Kliq maneuver, and something that I feel like I've heard various members of it use as justification for why how they needed to be pushed coming out of matches/feuds with Jericho, Benoit, Owen Hart, the Rock, etc.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

Dave has told that story several times, so I assume it's true

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Back when NWA Mountain State was running, there was a hype video made for that guy in the black and yellow mask, Bulldozer, set to Audioslave's "Cochise". It kicked rear end. Anyone know where I can find it? It looks like it vanished from the internet.

What happened to Bulldozer, anyway? Did he never make it out of NWA Mountain State, or is he still active?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Was watching the OSW review of Mania X and caught this shot of Bret making an entrance in this weird tunnel in a video package. I feel like I've been trying to figure out what this show was for years - anyone know what it is?

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 28, 2020

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Since Billy Corgan bought the NWA are there any small time feds still associated with it? I thought of this question because of the NWA mountain state question above, which I do not have an answer to.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ganso Bomb posted:

Was watching the OSW review of Mania X and caught this shot of Bret making an entrance in this weird tunnel in a video package. I feel like I've been trying to figure out what this show was for years - anyone know what it is?

I’ve also been trying to figure that out what show that’s from for years. For some reason I kept remembering it as WrestleMania V but that’s obviously not the case.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Various things (mostly the Sami Zayn/'difficult wrestlers' conversation in the WWE thread) made me think of a question:

What (if any) are examples of a wrestler being reluctant/dubious about an angle/gimmick, agreeing to it despite reservations, and coming out of it going "I was wrong, that was great!"?

I'm saying angles/gimmicks because I feel like there are numerous cases of people not wanting to go heel or face and then figuring out how to make that flip 'work' for themselves. There are also examples of people trying to flip back heel when no one wants to boo them anymore.

But I'm thinking of the equivalent of like "I was dead set against doing this Kane gimmick, I thought it was awful, but as it turns out it was great for my career!"

Because honestly I can't think of any, but I can think of dozens of "I didn't want to be an evil cheerleader, but I got talked into it, and oooooof" stories.

The closest I'm coming up with is the New Day, but that feels like a case of them having an idea, having that idea pushed through the WWE Creative Meat Grinder, and them working to mold it into something good almost against Creative's wishes.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hellblazer187 posted:

Since Billy Corgan bought the NWA are there any small time feds still associated with it? I thought of this question because of the NWA mountain state question above, which I do not have an answer to.

Billy Corgan's purchase of the NWA led to final end to the NWA affiliate system as far as I am aware. There are no NWA territories now that Billy tried turning it into its own promotion.

Edge & Christian posted:

What (if any) are examples of a wrestler being reluctant/dubious about an angle/gimmick, agreeing to it despite reservations, and coming out of it going "I was wrong, that was great!"?

A classic example is Kurt Angle not quite getting that being the Real American Hero when he debuted would get him over as a heel and was dubious on listening to McMahon and not playing a more traditional heel before the audience reaction made him a Vince convert.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

karmicknight posted:

A classic example is Kurt Angle not quite getting that being the Real American Hero when he debuted would get him over as a heel and was dubious on listening to McMahon and not playing a more traditional heel before the audience reaction made him a Vince convert.
What's the first iteration of this "holier than thou hypocrite" character? I know Britt Baker was recently on Talk is Jericho and explicitly mentioned using Jericho's early 1998 heel run as a guidepost for her current heel turn, but what characters preceded his?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Coaaab posted:

What's the first iteration of this "holier than thou hypocrite" character? I know Britt Baker was recently on Talk is Jericho and explicitly mentioned using Jericho's early 1998 heel run as a guidepost for her current heel turn, but what characters preceded his?

hulk hogan

oh you mean acknowledged in kayfabe

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Has the following move ever been attempted, and if so, did it or does it have a cool name? Here we go:

Suplex onto rope A, caber-carried and suplexed onto rope B, concluding in a jackhammer, center of the ring.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Are there many notable instances of a wrestler going into business for themselves and changing the out come of their match in some way, instead of what was booked? I know of wrestlers deliberately removing themselves in battle royals they werent going to win, people forgetting to kick out, or promoter driven screwjobs, but have many people just decided to burn every bridge they have with a promotion and go against the booker in ring?

I was just thinking about how Ali was told at the last minute Brock was going to win MitB, and what if in that moment instead of being dumbfounded on the ladder he just decided, “gently caress this” and grabbed the briefcase. The next night he’d obviously be forced to lose or have it taken away in some extremely humiliating fashion, then be ostracized backstage and never seen on camera again. But for that one brief moment, what a helluva middle finger to vince.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jericho had a match against...someone (I've forgotten who) where he was supposed to win, decided that didn't make sense to him and decided on the fly to lose instead.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Tweak posted:

Are there many notable instances of a wrestler going into business for themselves and changing the out come of their match in some way, instead of what was booked? I know of wrestlers deliberately removing themselves in battle royals they werent going to win, people forgetting to kick out, or promoter driven screwjobs, but have many people just decided to burn every bridge they have with a promotion and go against the booker in ring?

I was just thinking about how Ali was told at the last minute Brock was going to win MitB, and what if in that moment instead of being dumbfounded on the ladder he just decided, “gently caress this” and grabbed the briefcase. The next night he’d obviously be forced to lose or have it taken away in some extremely humiliating fashion, then be ostracized backstage and never seen on camera again. But for that one brief moment, what a helluva middle finger to vince.

Can't think of any examples off the type of my head, but in the old-timey days this was a big enough concern that promoters wanted their champion to be a tough shooter in case their opponents tried any funny stuff.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Not exactly the same thing (and Bischoff came out to work out the new finish) but Sting shoot-pinning a high as gently caress Jeff Hardy at Victory Road 2011 sort of fits this.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lamuella posted:

Not exactly the same thing (and Bischoff came out to work out the new finish) but Sting shoot-pinning a high as gently caress Jeff Hardy at Victory Road 2011 sort of fits this.

IIRC Sting was always booked to win and Bischoff just told him to immediately go home. But yeah, that was definitely a shoot pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho had a match against...someone (I've forgotten who) where he was supposed to win, decided that didn't make sense to him and decided on the fly to lose instead.

Lance Storm also tells the story of how he was supposed to beat Teryr Funk, (I think even in Amarillo Texas), but they changed it based on crowd reaction. And because having an old man Terry Funk lose in his home town is stupid.