Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I made a knife sheath for my bf. My stitching still needs work, but I'm happy. It's my own design and I made it from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sweet As Sin posted:

I made a knife sheath for my bf. My stitching still needs work, but I'm happy. It's my own design and I made it from scratch.

Looks really great.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Thank you!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Really digging that dragon! Did you use any special tooling knife and stamps or roll your own?

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I have a regular tandy knife and stamp set, but I also used a burning tool with several tips. Nothing fancy!

feizhouxiongdi2
Oct 9, 2019

Sweet As Sin posted:

Fantastic! how's the quality of the tools? My first stitches were horrible, in part because I wasn't really marking the holes with any tools.

My dad requested a leather mousepad of his favorite cat, Terra

I can't find any finishing liquids so I'll leave it like that for the meantime.

First of all, how did it just discover this thread now?

The KITTY is great.

I have done some projects myself but carving looks very intimidating to me. Does anyone have advice on how to start? What are the basic equipment for caving and how thick the leather has to be (and I assume THICK cuts of veg tanned leather is the way to go)?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That mousepad looks great but I wonder if it's going to be totally hopeless as an actual mousepad.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
It was completely useless!

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I didn't like the finish once it dried, so I tried something else. Acrylics

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Dig it, and that's a badass knife, too.

-------------------

I haven't actually made anything with leather in a while, so I just wanted to wax about how even trying this hobby has completely changed my perception of leather goods pricing. The other day I saw a leather jacket handmade in US retailing for $900 and went "That's a poo poo-ton of money, but not a ripoff." A few years ago I probably wouldn't have even considered a leather wallet priced more than $50, but now if I see burnished edges and the zig-zag of saddle stitching, I wonder how they can make any money charging less than $150.

(I still don't get the pricing insanity around the couture handbags, but luxury goods are inherently insane)

Anyway. It's the same story with any hobby I've tried -- wood, metal, or art-like stuff. Not to OK boomer myself, but more people should have a similar experience so they can go "oh gently caress, now I get it" when buying things. It may not make them save up for a $900 jacket (given how many people are perpetually broke), but it might change some purchasing patterns.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

So most of my leatherworking (total novice) lately has been in the vein of accessories for Renaissance festivals and the like. I've done a good number of belts, they're super easy with Tandy's blanks, but I've been starting to play with decorative stitching and lacing. I don't have photos of most of my stuff right now, but here's the most recent ring belt I did for a friend of mine. I saw a picture online of a belt with that stitching pattern and wanted to give it a try myself.

I'm still not into the habit of finishing my edges, but with belts as long as the typical RenFaire belts can be it's such a pain in the rear end to even attempt. I'm also scared to death to try any kind of embossing or tooling, hence the fun stitching instead.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Oh! That's really pretty.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Thank you! It was the most ambitious I've been with a design yet, which was decently nerve-wracking. This is the only picture I could find offhand of any of the other stuff I've done, again a belt for a friend.

I didn't touch the edges at all on this one so it looks a lot chunkier than I like but hey every project is a learning opportunity. I'm really grateful for this thread because I'm picking up lots of new ideas and information on how to improve going forward with projects in the future.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Good news, leatherworking thread. It’s necro time. I decided that I was not happy with wallets that are almost but not quite what I’m looking for. I still have a ways to go until I’m able to make what I am looking for, but after a couple weeks I’ve been able to produce something that I’m not completely embarrassed about.

And another one that I decided to use some edges and holes in the hide on.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Ah, that's some fine stitching.
Did you wet-shape the top one or is it stretched from cards being stuffed in?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Some really nice work in the last few posts :)

I'm going to contribute... as soon as my other idiot side projects are off the to-do list :negative:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

TheNothingNew posted:

Ah, that's some fine stitching.
Did you wet-shape the top one or is it stretched from cards being stuffed in?

Thanks! Was a bit more complicated than I thought to get it looking decent in both sides. I now think that every leather stitching tutorial on the internet is loving nuts.

No wet shaping. Stretching is from both cards and manhandling to get it open after I overdid the glue.

Edit: My best result of the weekend. My vertical dimensions are off a bit and the hole alignment near the corners needs improvement. Otherwise, happy enough with it that I’m going to try expanding my design horizons a bit.

tk fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 27, 2020

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

I have been selling at SCA and cosplay events, and I'm always looking for un-served niches. After all, every leather vendor has bags and pouches, swordbelts; how do you set yourself apart? One thing a few people mentioned was the lack of good shoes. There are apparently only a handful of companies that make shoes for SCA and reenactors, so I figured I would try my hand at it. Took a few tries, but I eventually drafted a good pattern and made some shoes for myself and my partner. Now I'm thinking about selling these; something custom made so you can choose the colors you want.

https://imgur.com/gallery/G3XZFsj

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

I last-minute slapped together a belt frog book holder for a friend in December so she could carry her pretty leather bound book around at a Renaissance festival. It's crude as gently caress to my eyes but she loved it so hey mission accomplished.

It was fun planning it out to meet her specifications, and gratifying to make something I basically drew up myself since she didn't like any of the examples I found online. Given more time I would have done things differently but maybe I'll try again one day and surprise her with an upgrade.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Like with pretty much any craft ever: if others like it, you should shut your face instead of pointing out faults and things you could've done better.

(one day I hope to follow my own drat advice)

And drat that's some thick leather! What do you use for punches?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I have made a small pile of wallets to varied results recently. Having particular trouble keeping stitching consistent in very thing areas. Not going to stop me from keeping these things as thin as possible though.

My favorites have been these simple two pocket things made with two pieces folded over one another. Simple construction and having the pockets on opposite sides balances the cards well.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I really like the effect you get with contrasting colors in the wallets, those are gorgeous.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Agreed, those look really great -- nicely done!

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

Trabant posted:

And drat that's some thick leather! What do you use for punches?

I just use the economy rotary leather punch from Tandy. It's my go-to for putting rivet, snap, or lacing holes in anything.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Anyone have a recommendation for buying hardware? (O-rings, buckles, snaps, etc.) I'm looking to make some suspenders, and I'm curious if someone has a supplier with decent quality that's reasonably cheap.

On a related note, anyone use Buckleguy.com much? How do they stack up in terms of price vs. quality?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
I use buckleguy, mostly for the convenience of easy-to-find matching finishes and a well-made website. They also have contemporary styles. I'm sure you could find cheaper elsewhere though, especially if you order a large quantity. But their quality is just fine.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tried to use some rare bursts of enthusiasm during the lockdown to make something productive (if completely useless). Only the third thing I've made so quite pleased with it. It really only looks any good because the pattern was great, but eh it was fun.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Nice. Looks very Oglaf

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Roblo posted:

Tried to use some rare bursts of enthusiasm during the lockdown to make something productive (if completely useless). Only the third thing I've made so quite pleased with it. It really only looks any good because the pattern was great, but eh it was fun.

Is that a DieselPunk pattern? I absolutely love his stuff. I made his dog harness pattern and it was the easiest thing in the world just because the pattern was so well done.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

COOL CORN posted:

Is that a DieselPunk pattern? I absolutely love his stuff. I made his dog harness pattern and it was the easiest thing in the world just because the pattern was so well done.

It is, yeah. His patterns are great. You can tell a lot of thought has gone into them.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for buying hardware? (O-rings, buckles, snaps, etc.) I'm looking to make some suspenders, and I'm curious if someone has a supplier with decent quality that's reasonably cheap.

On a related note, anyone use Buckleguy.com much? How do they stack up in terms of price vs. quality?

I use buckleguy as well.
In ~4 orders, they only messed up one thing (D-rings that were tagged as aged steel but were actually aged bronze). They needed proof of the issue (phone pic of the item), sent me the replacements right away and offered me 50% off the incorrect item rather than pay to ship it back, which I took them up on.

No quality issues. Prices on hardware seem about as low as you can safely get before you start dealing with sketch websites chasing that extra 5 cents off per piece, you know?

For tools, I bet you could go cheaper (I say, wondering if my GoodsJapan order will ever show).

Also, hell yeah Roblo, that helmet looks nice.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Toolchat for leatherworkers : What is the best cutting knife you've seen?

I mostly use a utility knife with disposable razor blades, but that works best for straight cuts and isn't great for curves. Next favorite is the round knife. I have a love / hate relationship with this tool. It's weird shape makes it difficult to use, but it's thin blade does cut pretty well. I've also made a few knifes of my own, and one or two shapes have worked out in varying degrees. So, what do you like for cutting leather?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pagan posted:

I mostly use a utility knife with disposable razor blades, but that works best for straight cuts and isn't great for curves. Next favorite is the round knife. I have a love / hate relationship with this tool. It's weird shape makes it difficult to use, but it's thin blade does cut pretty well. I've also made a few knifes of my own, and one or two shapes have worked out in varying degrees. So, what do you like for cutting leather?

I use a round knife for small radius corners and one of the olfa box cutters with the thicker of the two blades (taller?). I bought the blades in bulk and swap them the minute things feel less sharp.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now

This is cool as poo poo, god drat

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Pagan posted:

Honestly, I've yet to find something I truly like for anything other than long straight cuts (an Olfa round cutter) and it's annoying. For curves, I've mostly tried going small and thin, but with things like X-Acto blades I often end up putting a bevel on my cut instead of keeping it square. I guess I don't keep the knife vertical enough, so this is almost certainly a problem of practice on my end. And/or next time I'll try something with a stiffer blade, like one of those box cutters with snap-off blades.

I haven't tried round knives, but they look so violently anti-ergonomic that I don't think I even want to.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Trabant posted:

Honestly, I've yet to find something I truly like for anything other than long straight cuts (an Olfa round cutter) and it's annoying. For curves, I've mostly tried going small and thin, but with things like X-Acto blades I often end up putting a bevel on my cut instead of keeping it square. I guess I don't keep the knife vertical enough, so this is almost certainly a problem of practice on my end. And/or next time I'll try something with a stiffer blade, like one of those box cutters with snap-off blades.

I haven't tried round knives, but they look so violently anti-ergonomic that I don't think I even want to.

Violently uncomfortable is accurate. It's the perfect shape for catching a little razor sharp corner under a finger nail, and for driving that some point into your wrist when trying to use it.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

TheNothingNew posted:

For tools, I bet you could go cheaper (I say, wondering if my GoodsJapan order will ever show).

Not 100% leather related, but I need to amend this.

I just got a very nice email from GoodsJapan. Apparently, Japan Post took it upon themselves to hold up anything leaving the country ... and then didn't tell anyone for two months. The order I placed with GoodsJapan at the end of March just got returned to them today, apparently.

Anyway, nice apologetic email and a small coupon code that I can't use for the foreseeable future. Ah well.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
So a few months ago I started watching vids on n LW and was just entranced. To my chagrin I googled Tandy retail locations and the closest one was like 5 hours away.

Them the other day I did it again, and no idea he w I missed it but there is one 30 minutes away!!!

So I trotted down there, SUPER nice people working there, and handily it's in some sort of crafting district where within a block there are several art, fabric, wood, music supply stores...really great stuff and all adjacent. Lucky to know about it!

All I bought was three books and the free catalog. Hoping to have a Rona free leather working winter.

One question I had, mostly going to be into making bushcrafting stuff. Belts, slings, pouches, bags, sheaths, scabbards, holsters. My wife bought a bag that is a chrome tan product that I really like the look of, and I also liked this 4-6iz buffalo side Tandy had, but neither of these are 10-12oz veg. How disappointed am I setting myself up to be if I used a lighter buffalo or chrome for my purposes?

E: this is her bag

Basic Poster fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 3, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Basic Poster posted:

One question I had, mostly going to be into making bushcrafting stuff. Belts, slings, pouches, bags, sheaths, scabbards, holsters. My wife bought a bag that is a chrome tan product that I really like the look of, and I also liked this 4-6iz buffalo side Tandy had, but neither of these are 10-12oz veg. How disappointed am I setting myself up to be if I used a lighter buffalo or chrome for my purposes?

Can't speak about buffalo, but I think chrome's going to be pretty soft stuff -- I can't imagine it will hold the shape needed for the more utilitarian stuff you listed. A soft pouch or bag would probably do OK with chrome, scabbards and holsters would almost certainly require veg tan.

By the way, 10-12oz is going to be freaking thick. Is there a reason why you're leaning that way? I ask because most of the stuff you're looking to make might be OK with 7-10oz material, and punching/stitching something in the 10-12 range is going to do a number on your fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah 10-12 is like... What you'd make armor out of, not a bag. Even 8-9 would be pretty thick and not very bendable.